Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: emmagineering and harvesting fruit of the loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

emmagineering and harvesting fruit of the loomis

hiiiii!

soooo.... i'm deeming this to be fresh new book time. and my old sketchbook is here. Although i don't really want to clutter up the SB section with another book, it seems like this is the best thing to do at the present. I have too many projects for work, stuff i can't show, or stuff that i started and just don't want to show because it's a wip. So if there's other stuff i'm wanting to show you guys, i'll drop it in here, with a cursory explanation as appropriate. Feel free to rip me a new one with anything i post. I'm doing this to learn, document, and practice. Also, having witnessed some nice fashion blogs it feels like a subject i'll be interested enough in to continue, ad infinitum.

and here's how this will work: In the course of my travels, i see a lot of people. How some of them look and are dressed / costumed is something i like to remember, or that i can't really forget at other times. I see someone i want to record, i remember as much as i possibly can, then later (i'm starting out digital, but i may conceivably do these in red pencil, inkwash, and guoache) i'll make a sketch. Try to record the color schemes, garment design, accessory, facial characteristics, hair color, drapery, gesture, mood, and all the other myriad things that must be recorded in trying to capture an entire person. this won't be easy, and i will admittedly suck pretty bad as i'm starting this thing out. More important to push myself to practice, i'm thinking.

i'm trying to get better at color theory, anatomy, visual memory, and character design. last year i started indulging my love of fashion in lots of studies, and since then i've been looking for a way to combine all this stuff i want to learn and improve at into a daily activity somehow. This seems like a good combination of challenges to embark on, and also is consistent with the amount of digital painting that i've been doing lately.

1 - On the drive to work today, i saw this lady in a hunter green velour tracksuit with a platinum blonde wig. 14th street and Hemphill marta bus stop. brown casual shoes. The visual weight of the metallicish platinum blonde hair, it seemed as if her face was a little too small for her body. i did a study of a bridgman hand to get the basic form right on her left hand.

thanks for looking, yall!

mName:  attachment-2.jpg
Views: 2561
Size:  65.8 KB

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; September 9th, 2009 at 07:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah crud, my extra gooey sketchbook avatar isn't showing up.

thanks for looking everyone.

nude without any reference that i did on saturday
    Name:  14-2009A10-01.jpg
Views: 5016
Size:  44.0 KB

and here's a lady i saw while at lunchbreak yesterday. totally caught me staring at her too. hehe.
    face like a young patti smith and really stylin threads too.
    Name:  14-2009A12-01.jpg
Views: 2406
Size:  59.7 KB

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; January 13th, 2009 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    way to start a new sb! use more contrast and watch your values! do more b/w works. You should also use some other bg color than white, since it eats away readibility

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new start.... yay!
    I love that you are training your memory by staring and then trying to reproduce what you saw. seems like a good excercise. allows you to steal fashion designs without getting caught too. Imagine doing that at fashion week

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool start and good practice!
    I'd like to see a bit more rendering (I am, admittedly, a renderwhore) but they seem a bit flat. Especially the last one.. more contrast, as suggested would add to it as well
    Lotta challenge in remembering all the details and whatnot! Gonna be cool to see more of these!

How are things in ATL? Say hi to the sketchgroup-gang for me!

dC

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dCepT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    noodledoodle>>> ya know, i see what you mean about the white, i just... i really like the white and light grey backgrounds and want to get used to using them. filling them in with a black seems like the wrong move and i think a 50% grey or other neutral tone would be too heavy. interesting thoughts though. on yr reccomendation i made today's effort greyscale only. thanks!

chaos>>> Awww thx love! the coat was pretty amazing. thanks!

dCept>>> Hii and thanks frederik! Guess i should try to do these more like an oil process where you put in the darks first.. kind of trying to get used to the process a bit. Seems like i'm still a bit green to be throwing in color. maybe at some point. Heh, the CATL crew is doing swell, bout to go drawing with them tonight actually. you going to PSD world this year? i hear they're gonna have high res photos of narwhales.

and the following represent's today's effort. the lady that cooked my lunch. and it was delicious. except it seems like i drew her too large. there was a crazy pattern to her shirt, so much so that i didn't really notice her pant or shoe type. gotta pay more attention, but my glances in this case were numbered as she was around a corner and running about a huge kitchen. these are fun.

Name:  14-2009A13-01.jpg
Views: 2277
Size:  56.3 KB

anyways, i will eventually be drawing guys too for this series, so it won't all be ladies.

thx for looking!

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

i was on lunchbreak yesterday, getting my mail from my post office box. this lady's kind of strange outfit caught my eye. stared a little and as i was walking in, she came up to me and asked me for change... which i didn't have any. i usually don't carry cash unfortunately. i was a little caught off guard, never been hassled for change there before. Besides that, she had a very sweet and round face, which i don't think i really captured entirely. i had a hell of a time getting some semblance of her likeness AND the coat she was wearing.

Name:  14-2008A14-01.jpg
Views: 2235
Size:  52.0 KB

thanks for looking!

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tiny little update here for you lovely people...

INK

Name:  14-2009A22-01.jpg
Views: 2187
Size:  186.1 KB

Name:  14-2009A22-06.jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  116.8 KB

Name:  14-2009A22-07.jpg
Views: 2052
Size:  102.7 KB

Name:  14-2009A22-08.jpg
Views: 2020
Size:  145.4 KB

whoopity do

slacked off in the exercise i was doing but i've got a bunch of finished work i will be dropping very soon. and i'll leave it at that because it's a collaborative project.

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    back with more from the field

this is from the other night; i damn nearly destroyed the paper upon which it was painted in the process. kinda funny... i like how the sketchbooks swell up after getting filled up with this kind of stuff. their spines just can't take the abuse. 65lb sketchbook paper may not be the best for full-on impasto painting with casein + gouache. hehe. reference was an advertisement from vogue, altho i forget for which designer. i liked the saturated tones throughout the composition and the challenge of a transparent visor bill. all in all this took me about one hour, fifteen minutes. Thought in back of my head before embarking was to do a few more full color figurative studies and then get some of these figurative commissions out of the way.

gouache, inkwash, airbrush ink, colored pencil, casein

Name:  14-2009A23-01.jpg
Views: 2026
Size:  240.1 KB

cheers and thanks for lookin, yall

m

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haahh...so much art , and we get to know now, this thread exists , not fair.
    The lates one is my fav. Other ones seem weak. As if you are scared or something.
    The last one has FLAIR. the way I can feel the process through the strokes.
    I wanna see some figues being done like this . What say?
    And yeah wanna see more mixed media stuff too.
    Subscribing.
    Take care.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bhanu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 491 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good...do mor studies from refs!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Verehin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin' good, mah Gugg! I'm at work right now so I just wanted to leave a comment to make sure I could get the udpates. I'll be back later to hopefully leave a more helpful comment. I see I'm not the only one trying to be a more disciplined artist this year! I've been debating about starting a new thread myself. I haven't been great at updating my blog tho so I'm not sure this would work either. Heh. Keep it up regardless.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Consider th-E subscribed and looking forward to future guggdates! I like where your headed with these studies and am interested in seeing the gugg-m figurative commishes.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to th-E For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 543 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    guggen, you old cool bum. how ya doing?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sickbrush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Verehin>>> thanks for droppping by! yeah, getting into studying from life and refs again is definitely something i've been focussing more on lately. gotta love when you find a ref that is just pure magic for some inexplicable reason. cheers!

zebulon>>> hey thanks for dropping in ryan! How the heck is it going? i've been neglecting my sketchbooks and my xbox too... gettin back onto the horse though. thanks for postering, Z! Yeah, i gotta keep this thing updated a bit more... not even off of the first page yet hehe...

bhanu>>> you know, that's an amazingly good crit, and... it caused me to really rethink that whole project. anyways, thanks so much!

th-E>>> big th-anks to th-E for dropping by! great to see yr ink explorations challenging the 3D/2D plane.

slay-rrrrrrrrr>>> awww cool, thanks for dropping by!

and th' urts

sketchup + um... indesign? + glue, ink, brushed ink, more glue +
    some tender lovin fucking with by the nice SHEARS.
    still a little more to do on this one digitally, in filling in the comic frames.

Name:  14-2009A22-16.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  155.0 KB

did this one for a friend of mine, good old rendition of a creature
    devouring itself. yay! he liked

Name:  14-2009A23-04.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  386.0 KB

anyways, will try to update thissss baby more often: that was the idea when i started a fresh new book.

back in the swing-m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that creature named, "Madness?" Cuz he'd be in the mouth of madness... oh whaaaaat? Blast this sketchbook off past page 1, please. Hope you're well

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Zord For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is one wicked bookcase.

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

27. The Following User Says Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cruddlebuffagus, I'm waiting for that update.

Next time we hang, you're going to have to show me some of your color blending skills, I've been doing a bunch of new shit and man I suck at blending.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to HugeHarHar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ye bringer of zordisms>>> ya damn wrong for this one. and in saying that, i mean you are damn right about my needing to get this mother offa page uno. yassir. arafat.

ianE>>> thought i mentioned it above but yeah the frame is a setup for a comic that i'm drawing in illustrator. crude drawing style, vulgar subject matter ... bookcase is a good comparison, so i'll take that as a compliment.

special K>>>big thanks for the prod, maconite. fun times in inktown tonight.

Name:  14-2009D16-01.jpg
Views: 2248
Size:  125.5 KB

i drew on 6" x 8" ish rhodia graph paper with a really sweet brush and a bit of pelikan drawing ink A. i like drawing on vellum. and with grid paper, the scans are so much easier to clean up. in yr rgb scan just choose only the channel that shows up as black... run some levels and your lineart is ready. crispy and delicious with no messy messy. and before you ask, yes. i mirrored the scan. big freakin deal, babies.

thanks for looking and kicking me into high gear!

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shit! That's intense about the job situation. While I am excited to see more postings/drawings from you, I hate the reason.

Give me holler or some such if you wanna trash talk some mo fos. You know I can throw out some nasty words here and there.

Unless you have some bright ass orange shoes, I think you need to find some bling to balance the head band. Odd how your clothes match your wall, though. It's like the same gray/brown color going on. Almost mint chocolate. Or maybe toffeenut chocolate...I'll get back to you on that one.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to HugeHarHar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is awesome! you need to do more shit like this!!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Texahol For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see new work form you, Gugg. Stop my my sketchbook if you get a chance. I need to update it again but I started a new one filled with crap from the job. I actually got laid off at the end of February and am still looking for work. Had some really close calls for awesome opportunities tho. Gimme a call sometime and we can discuss about joblessness. I've got a couple things on the line I might be getting. I wish you the best of luck. And that orange head band is slammin'. Apparently there's a lot I need to catch up on with the ol' Gugg! lol Take care!

Last edited by Zebz; April 17th, 2009 at 12:34 PM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guggem best of luck with the job situation. that s@%t sucks but for the best, i say. the new posts with the mix of drawings/photos is a bit avant garde, like the font only cooler, especially the last post with both images being pale backgrounds and strong central figures. not sure it was intentional but very intriguing... again, best.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to th-E For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Gug, I am happy I found your book and am now signing up for your thread, love your dear friend Kelly X! xoxoxo and nice dress, shorter!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man you look so hot!

Those sketchies are looking good! I WILL STALK THIS THREAD.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to shamandalie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Getting notes is fun and that is a fine one. I like the lower case script and the way it's written, very interesting. Wait, so this note is journal only? Or was it sent to it's recipient secret messenger flying pigeon stylee, secret ink and dagger intrigue? Either way, digging the new style of updates. Kinda like self portraits + cocoontransformationburst.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Zord For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uuuuuppppdaaaatttteeeeeE?

46. The Following User Says Thank You to HugeHarHar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice music update. What methods do you go about to create such tunes? My installation desires have often roamed into the inclusion of noises. I've dabbled in some silly amateur shits such as fruity loops and such, but I honestly don't know to much about music.

Marcos and I got a hold of a space for an art show next "First Friday". It's a pretty big space, and we're allowed to do as we please. We both going to bring in a bunch of art, but we're thinking on doing some kind of installation piece as well.

As for the bullets, it's nice to see shit's looking positive.

And if I don't get some artwork on here, I'll have mY OWNNNSS BULLET!!!

No, I don't know what that's about, but seriously. Art.

Keep kicking ass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb

I'm very happy to report that the guggeys is oil painting again! it's been a goal for some time to pick it back up, however, my epic level of anal-retentiveness wouldn't allow it until a few things happened. namely needing to set up a palette that wasn't disposable. Soooo....

i came up with this great idea for a glass palette.

Instead of having a sheet of glass loose (which, with my level of clumsiness might result in spilled blood, never a good thing), i got an 11x14" picture frame with a white wooden frame. then put a piece of bristol board that had been painted grey (acrylic: 50% TIT white, 50% ivory black) behind it, then a few cardboard spacers behind it to make sure that the glass is constantly pressed forward. You might be thinking... "Okay guggey, but ... the oils on the palette, if they run to the edge (that is to say, if you are holding the palette and its angle is constantly changing, they certainly will...) will creep under the frame and rot said paper and cardboard filler... not desirable, dummyhead." The secret to countering that problem was to test a number of caulking agents. i needed one that was resistant to turpenoid: an acrylic formula. So using that, i sealed in the piece of glass, let it cure, and voila... the glass palette is finished.

It's a lot of colors on one palette, i'm aware. At least for my underpainting phase (still in that phase for painting #1) the color scheme is going to be pretty much just naples yellow, sienna, raw umber, and a bit of yellow ochre until i'm ready to add in the colors. the yellow ochre is actually lighter than the grey background on which i'm painting, so that creates kind of this odd color relationship that doesn't work well for drawing out the composition. Sienna was a better choice. raw umber started getting it to where it needed to be, but... the raw umber i have is so thick that it hardly allows for any thinning down. not the best, that raw umber. i think that's one of the tubes that i got 100 years ago when my grandparents paid for me to go to oil painting classes.

anyways, this is the palette:
    Name:  15-2009F10-01.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  305.0 KB

and here is the list of colors:
    Starting at bottom left and traveling counter-clockwise:

1. permalba white
    2. Grumbacher Academy Naples Yellow
    3. Gamblin Yellow Ochre
    4. Gamblin Cadmium Yellow Light
    5. Grumbacher Cadmium Yellow Deep
    6. Grumbacher Academy Cadmium Red Light
    7. Gamblin Cadmium Red Medium
    8. Gamblin Cadmium Red Deep
    9. Gamblin Alizirin Crimson
    10. Grumbacher Dioxazine purple
    11. Gamblin Ultramarine Blue
    12. Permalba Cobalt Blue
    13. Grumbacher Cerulean
    14. Grumbacher Academy Pthalocyanine Blue
    15. Grumbacher Pthalocyanine Green
    16. Gamblin Viridian
    17. Grumbacher Ivory Black
    18. Winsor Newton Raw Umber
    19. Grumbacher Academy Burnt Sienna
    20. Gamblin Raw Sienna

If any of you have comments or ideas on some of these colors that don't work out really well, i'd love to hear them. my favorites are the gamblin paints, and i kind of hate the winsor newton ones....Just like i hate their guoaches. they do make good brushes though.

alrighty, will post some progress shots of my still life within the next couple of days. Just getting warmed up here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see you back up in hereeerererere.

I myself have had an extremely busy few days, and havn't posted much on here, but you know...it happens.

I'm personally a Holbien nerd. Their oils and gouache are fantastic, but I'm also not to knowledgeable when it comes to brands and such.

50. The Following User Says Thank You to HugeHarHar For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.