Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Critique Campaign Fund

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The Critique Campaign Fund

Hello there, I'm Grief with the Critique Campaign Fund

alright folks, it's January 8th, your new years hangover should be starting to pass around now. I hope everyone had an awesome time reflecting on the momentous year of 2008.

everyone should be pumped up about the new year, 'cause it's going to rock you and your balls. just think of all the awesome art yet to be done. oh, man it's going to be effin' sweet.

unfortunately every year hundreds of artists starve for motivation and guidance. they have inadequate mentoring and no opportunity for education for a better artistic future. you're thinking what sort of satanic evil art community would forsake its own members like this? it may shock you to know its happening right here in Conceptart.org

it may be easy to click out of the critique center, to look away, to just scroll on by, but deep down you know their problems are your problems. these artists grew up without peers to check their anatomy, without color theory, these artists don't even know how to create atmospheric perspective.

i know you've thought about it, put it on a 'nice to do' list but somehow never got around to it, even though the critique center is right there, and the comments are free...maybe it gets lost in how busy you are, maybe you're just taking your time, but some people don't have until forever to wait. they need you today, and you're not busy right this moment so why not now?

I'm not asking that you send them $0.70 a day for drinking water and shoes, but merely that you post beneficial comments critiquing their work. every time you visit the site, be sure to leave at least one comment in the critique center. just one per visit, thats all i ask, it'll only take maybe 30 seconds.

that meager amount of time may be all it takes to give hope to a struggling artist trying to work out a composition, or learning to use typography, or give them the two point perspective instructions they so desperately need but had to do without. your words of wisdom and insight will afford these artists the opportunity to learn and grow in potential.

and its not like you're going to feel bad about it. you'll log in with the satisfaction of knowing you've helped make a difference in the artistic path of one person's life. they'll reward you with 'thanks for the useful posts' and it helps build your post count level in a decent, honest way.

if youre unsure how you can help, or what sort of comments are expected, feel free to ask and i'll direct you to some helpful threads on how to give a good critique.

i will be bumping this thread for the duration of the year on a monthy basis as a reminder to do your part. i will update with success stories of artists who overcome their crummy work and strive for better execution.

so join in, and let's make 2009 a year of growth for those who need help too.
    thank you.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why are there no capital letters.......there has to be capital letters......for pity's sake put some capital letters.

A perfect example of time I could have spent critiquing a fellow's work. Thanks Grief!!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It’s a lot of fun in Critique Forum. You get to argue points and it’s fantastic when they get what you were blabbering on about. Seeing a work improve and think that you might have helped is reward in itself. Of course I don’t get it right every time, but it’s huggy time when I do.

Not only that, you get to learn at the same time. What more do you want?

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great post grief

i've said it before but i'll say it again... You learn an awful lot about yourself and where you are with your own art when you start trying to critique others... Sometimes ( most of the time i guess ) we do our own art on "auto pilot", when you critique someone, you will have to stop for a minute and think about why you make the choices you do =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh, now THAT is something I could do right now! ^_^ And will.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This deserves a bump.

Good post, Grief, on my way there now.

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reminder. Getting into the habit of doing so.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its march, how's them critiques comin' ?

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did alright in February, but I dropped off the last couple weeks. Will contribute better this month.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Asatira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been toiling with art and need fresh eyes to give you solid advice?

try the critique center for custom tailored comments directed at delivering knowledge. all this month save on wasted time by getting a crack team of users to pitch in advice free of charge.

offer not available in all locations of forum.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    im not only an employee but a client as well w/ only three easy payments you too ......wait wait o yeah i have learned more about art in 3 months than in my whole life in the crit sec no joke an im truly greatful to everyone thats helped me thats my story an im stick'n to it

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've done my part.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

21. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    “The stuff you spew leaves it’s seeds behind” – Maluphaloph from the planet zenepheirr

Funny how the Critique center can expose you to more problems in a day than your work can, Kinda makes your brain start working. I learnt a crap load in two days just looking and putting energy into what other folk are trying to do. Most of those I haven’t mastered or solved in my own work yet, but you can comment and crit as if it's something you are faced as your own challenge. Slowly develops a repertoire of skill without having done anything yet.

Just need to keep out of feeling superior avoiding phrasing sentences so they contain, No offence, Don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean to sound rude,...

And keep the artist’s interest and energy up in THEIR pursuit, you have to respect THEIR GOALS regardless. Losing that is a mark of an awful critic. Criticism might be then next best artform in here.

Last edited by George Abraham; April 15th, 2009 at 07:25 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to George Abraham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I often find that I can see what the problem with a piece of work might be and could suggest a solution but could certainly not do a better job of the actual drawing/painting myself, so I feel disinclined to say anything. The whole idea of sounding like I know answers yet not having the work to prove it puts me off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't make criticism about superiority or supremacy. It's about sharing views and opinions.

A few people have used the "I'm not qualified" excuse.. What will their crit's be like when the do qualify? Will they enjoy the fan club effect or will they work sitting in a seat next to someone they are helping.

Constructive criticism is like borrowing a brain, you might not know how to solve a problem yet but you can identify it. And the strange miracle of trying makes your brain edit your post a few times as it has membered solutions that might not have been available instantly. You walk away having learnt something.

Critting someone that you regard below your skill level, I's easy to expect them to be like you. You need to try and see what they are doing, what their aims are and what you know that might help them in their immediate vicinity of progress. Donít give that, come back when you have X thing. Stoop a little and give them personal aid.

Critting someone that is doing more impressive stuff than you, they don't have it all, very few has. Most of the time there is something you could add that is gold in their capable hands so don't be stingy being a knowledge monger keeping it to yourself secretly wanting to get ahead and overtake everyone.

I'd say being involved on ground level in there adding problem solving will get you there faster.

Last edited by George Abraham; April 15th, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Abraham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zaorr - I agree about the skill level thing. It doesn't matter how good a piece is. If you see something that you think could be improved upon, let them know.

When you get into critiqing, you get good at it. Critique is a skill too; it's an ability to accurately see what's wrong, and what's working well. And like zaorr said, you can learn from your own crits.

Bobby Chiu said in one of his podcasts to stop competing. This isn't a race against each other. We're all running our own races towards a similar goal, so shouldn't we be helping each other get there?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    may arrived on schedule.

four months down already, let us all get out of the lounge and chip in some bits o' wisdom (myself included!). lots of young artists are ending school shortly and someone has to pick up their education. plus the piggy flu experts told us not to go outside, ever. so what better way to engage in art than from the safety of your internet machine to another fellow artists?

many thanks to all the members who contributed so heavily in the critique center in the last month.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its june and you should be doing critiques.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Since doing critiques now and then I have found that I can easily identify my own faults easier.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's June?! ZOMG, I overslept!

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    score... something useful to do with my time..... AWESOME!!!!!

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt6b71c.aspx

Spaztastic's world of junk
    And The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named!!!
    Realitychecks SB LakeLands SB Me,Myself, and Me again Vehkt's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bump!

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone else miss Grief?

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would be possible for this thread to be stickied?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it wouldn't be as effective in reminding people then.

I miss Grief too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 556 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah i suppose i should probably head over to the critique area and show some love. As should everyone else.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

∑ or check out my: Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.