Sketchbook: Beware-of-Artist; Sketchbook and experimental stuff

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beware-of-Artist; Sketchbook and experimental stuff

ROUGH, UNFINISHED, or SKETCHBOOK work, you can see my finished works at;

www.Brion-Frantz.daportfolio.com - Fine Art, Figure Works and Portraits
    www.Beware-of-Artist.deviantart.com - Fine Art, Illustration and Concept Art

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147750 - Concept Art and Illustration

I will occasionally post a new image here for the thread icon, as I get new and different images for good symbols

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Brion Frantz; December 23rd, 2010 at 03:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character sketches and roughs

Ninja vs Schoolgirl scene. It's very recent, still a W.I.P. I was given the subject matter, and a very odd format size and ratio to work in... almost but not quite square. This piece has so far come together like a jigsaw puzzle as I tried to put in depth cues and scenery working around the figures. It still needs some cherry or plum branches coming from the vase, but I'm kind of burned out on it for now...

Last edited by Brion Frantz; January 24th, 2009 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Monster characters, Creatures, beasties, etc.

I'm still organizing these categories into some kind of structure as I go, so keep checking back. Also, I have stacks of sketches and sketchbook strewn around this place, so I am posting some old stuff as well as new stuff, just whatever I draw or come across that I'm in the mood to see up here.

The first set of pieces is from a game dev cabal I worked with on a Western/Horror genre adventure game (we're seeking capital, if anyone is down...). It was about a heroic Native American renegade who came across an old mining town where everyone had been psychically overcome by this ancient evil spirit and turned into horrible caricatures of themselves.

The turnaround roughs are for a creature/boss/character is the owner of a dry goods/grocery store in a frontier town. My concept was that after he was corrupted (as part of the overall plot), he was turned into a gluttonous monster that ate up all his stock and was too fat to move afterward, hence the net devil lure and the man-o-war jellyfish tentacles. He lures animals and unsuspecting players into the basement of his store, then sting, sting, grap, munch, munch, gulp.

Title: Mr. Man - Boss Monster- Concept Art Sketches
    Medium- Graphite
    Time to execute: 30 - 45 min. each (4 hours total for all 5 pieces)

The second group of pieces are super-rapid sketches for the same property done during a brainstorming session with the game designers to work out the player's power ups. All three with the icon, hero and animal spirits were done over the course of the two hour meeting, as we hashed out the idea.

Title: Renegade - Lone Arrow - Power Ups and Buffs- Concept Art Sketches
    Medium- Graphite
    Time to execute: approx 20 - 30 min. each, over 2 hour period

Last edited by Brion Frantz; January 25th, 2009 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mirror, Mirror... Snow White's Wicked Queen and her Magic Mirror

I was working on two concepts for an illustration based on the Snow White tale for Christmas, you can see the design I chose to advance on my deviant site. This was the alternate, and I still want to do something with it.

This one is further along than a sketch, I know, but I still consider it work in progress, since I'm probably going to re-render the whole thing again. I like the design, generally, but it's out of balance with the surface detail heavy in the lower right. I just missed the accurate angle of her reflection by a couple degrees. I like it enough though that if I go further, I'll probably find a model to photograph for the final.

Last edited by Brion Frantz; May 30th, 2010 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the amount of detail you put in your work. For the ninja vs. schoolgirl picture, you put a lot of effort into his pants wrinkles and his veins. The mirror one also had lovely detail in the chandelier and mirror frame. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

#^(% Dragons! - Manticores rule!

Title: Manticore Skeleton/Anatomic Study
    Medium- Black Prismacolor Pencil
    Time to execute: 90 min.

Here's another work in progress from since Halloween. I was going to start working on muscles for this over my Christmas break, but I think I have to fix the upper plane (wing) humerus on each side so they are just ball headed instead of having the crowns. Then the wings at the scapulae could open to about 270 degree spread.

Last edited by Brion Frantz; January 25th, 2009 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Dead God's Throne

Title: Lamentors - Concept Art Sketches
    Medium- Marker
    Time to execute: 30-45 min. each

This is one of my many properties which will probably not see daylight for a long time, so I've decided to post them in here, to remind me to keep working on them.

The Dead God's Throne is a property based on characters and events in a world where mythological creatures are as real today as they were in the minds of of our ancestors. The sky god, the progenitor deity, has died, and all the other entities in the world's pantheon of gods have begun a power struggle to take his place and claim the legacy of the dead god's throne.

In the first post are two pieces showing The Lamentors;

The Blood-Red Lament

A nomadic procession of grief-mad mourners under the curse of the dead god's spilled blood. They do not eat, they do not drink, they do not sleep, they only go on. Called by many names; Orphans, Lamentors, The Greif Lepers, they must in turn also spill blood each day, or suffer the agony of an addict's hell. Any who would deny this influence eventually tear themselves apart with their own bare hands in remorse and delirium.

The cortege stretches hundreds of miles long, spreading across the world like a wine-dark rivulet flowing from a slashed artery. The followers mutilate themselves and butcher nearly every living thing in their path. The bodies of some victims are used to pave a greasy road for the progress of a great tomb of blackened, spattered stone that reportedly carries artifacts, or perhaps the dead god’s heart itself, still beating, pumping out the dark miasma of the blood curse from within that crawling crypt. The remains of other victims, usually children, are often carried by the savage mourners for days or weeks, in a twisted mockery of tenderness, abandoned only after some newly perpetrated horror presents freshly tragic victims.

They save alive only a maimed and tortured few in a thousand, to grieve and cry in their own agony and to mark for others the passing of the procession. Some of these survivors are also infected by the Geas of Mourning, and drawn along; add their wailing frenzies to the great train of slaughter.

So the influence of the curse grows and spreads each day that passes, and so must it go on forever, as long as the dead heart still beats, until every living creature lowers it's head, in sorrow, or in death.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    More to come, probably

B.

The Dead God's Throne and all associated characters, events and properties are copyright 2009 Brion Frantz. Any posts in this thread are copyright the same. The artist is not encouraging anyone to post their versions or revisions or to submit content or material. This thread is provided to help others learn the process of Character and Creative development.

Last edited by Brion Frantz; January 25th, 2009 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What, no replies yet? Well, in my opinion its anatomy and figuredrawing what needs most improvement to catch up to the rest. Your pencil rendering is really nice, like on the skeleton. Please post some of your finished works, too! I'll be back ;-)

cheers

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfeeras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be posting some of my finished creative and concept art pieces soon, there will be a separate thread for those.
    This thread is really only for very quick sketch style works or rough works that are still in progress. I think it's important to share the development work too, so that artists and employers can see your thinking process behind your finished work.
    Also, since most of these sketches are done on demand or out of my head, I have almost nothing in this post taken from direct photo reference (the color rough at the top is the only real photo referenced piece). I don't have anything against photo reference, and many of my fine art pieces and finished illustrations depend exclusively on direct photo reference, but sometimes ideas come at odd hours, or an artist has to draw for the client in front of them at the time, with no access to reference materials, or I'm just trying to capture something of the sense of the overall, without rendering detail.
    For these reasons, many of my initial sketches are very rough, some with anatomical mistakes or distortions, but some pieces are still successful in catching the personality or the mood of the subject in spite of inaccuracies, and so I'm posting those kinds of statements as well.
    There are links in my signature to my finished fine art pieces and my deviant site, where you can see some of the stuff I won't be posting on CA.
    Thanks for your comments!

Last edited by Brion Frantz; January 18th, 2009 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

John Carter - Warlord of Mars

Title: John Carter, Warlord of Mars - Character Study
    Medium- Graphite
    Time to execute: 1 Hour

There was a similar sketch to this originally posted earlier in the thread. Parts of the rendering and anatomy were bugging me. So, for that reason, and in the interests of keeping this thread mainly devoted to new work in progress I reworked the sketch.

Here is the newer version. I wish I had a year just to develop this and other Burroughs' mars based works. hmmmm. Dejah Thoris...

Last edited by Brion Frantz; January 25th, 2009 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm working on this piece in order to explore some new media techniques. I wanted something really high end from a commercial standpoint, and really challenging visually, so I chose Shakespeare's The Tempest. Act I.
    Ariel shipwrecks Prospero's enemies on the island. Fire, Lightning, sails and rigging, a frilly shirt, and a transparent flying figure in the middle... ..this is going to be fun to paint...

The caption for this illustration is;

"Hell is empty..."

I also threw in some of my thumbnail sketches for the piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man-- nice sketches--- but there seem to be some proportion errors in the limbs and heads in your sketches--- try using construction lines( dunno whether ur doing this already). it helps with sizing things approppriately.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hari Gopinathan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character design - Swansong - Copyright Brion Frantz 2010

This is a character design from a live demo. The topic was a heroine based on a nature archetype.

The entire set of four drawings took a little over two hours, live in front of about a dozen students.

Swansong copyright Brion Frantz 2010, All Rights Reserved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ice Planet creature - Plasma Zephyr - Brion Frantz

Another live demo in front of about 20 students. It took me around two hours to create all three pages of drawings.

This is a creature designed for survival on an ice covered world with an annual worldwide firestorm of methane, nitrogen and other flammable atmospheric gases.

The creature grows in a balloon like sac on tall thin branches of a treelike structure formed from the exoskeletal remains of its parents. It draws in and feeds off the volatile atmosphere all year, then during the annual firestorms, it launches like a biological rocket, flares brightly, finds a mate, orients itself, mates and burns out all in a matter of a few moments. The mating pair is fused together, falling white hot to the surface and burning through the ice mantle to float dormant, take root and spawn the "balloon tree" that will foster its own young until the next firestorm.

Plasma Zephyr, Bifrost and all related materials Copyright 2010, Brion Frantz. All Rights Reserved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the monster design especially the fat blob Add more shadings i think.. and study perspective. Draw from life to add personality to ur charac

Hi ! Take a peek in my sketch book?My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Masters of the Universe Crossover

The assignment was to take a Masters of the Universe character and create a crossover with another character from a similar genre.

I came up with "He-Zarro" (He Man's version of Bizarro)

1.5 hours

"By power of Numbskull!!! Me am No have Power!!!"

Last edited by Brion Frantz; September 12th, 2010 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

East of the Sun, West of the Moon

Here are two character studies from one of my favorite fairy tales, called East of the Sun, West of the Moon.
    These are taken from the scene at the beginning, when the poor farmer tries to convince his beautiful daughter to marry the nice polar bear, so they can all be rich.

Really these pieces are about costume, more than anything else, but I was trying to capture emotion and personality as well.

About 2.5 hours each.

Last edited by Brion Frantz; September 12th, 2010 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Costume study

The final oil painting version of this one is available online at;

www.Brion-Frantz.daportfolio.com

I changed the composition in the final, using more of a straight on shot with a different pose from the model, but still I liked this as a costume study, and I learned a lot about the different textures I would need to render, so here's the early version.

Original 14 x 17, Black Prismacolor on paper.

About 2 hours.

Last edited by Brion Frantz; September 12th, 2010 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches!
    You said you're using prismacolor. Is it better than graphite? What are the pros and cons?
    I've seen a lot of profesionals use it, and now I'm curious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Prismacolor vs Graphite

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Dark View Post
    You said you're using prismacolor. Is it better than graphite? What are the pros and cons?
    I've seen a lot of professionals use it, and now I'm curious.
    Pencils are usually listed from H (light, hard) to b (soft and dark). Most people are familiar with 2b, since that is a school pencil. 9h is so hard it's like an icepick, and most artists don't need lighter than a 2h. HB is a beautiful mid range graphite, and the one I use most.

Black Prismacolor pencil gives a richer, darker black than graphite, you'd have to use an 8b or ebony to even come close to the rich dark value. But very soft graphite pencils are very smeary, since they are milled chunks of mineral, and as the artist blends the graphite in, it leaves a shiny spot on the paper as the graphite chunks align and lay flat, creating a shiny flat surface in the tooth of the paper.

Black Prismacolor is a very fatty/waxy medium, soft, almost like lipstick.
    It takes a little getting used to, to control the point and not flatten it, and you have to keep turning it as you go to not make a flat side to the lead.

If you're careful, you don't have to sharpen it as much, which can be expensive. Also, get a nice quality, AC powered office sharpener from an office supply store, you need one that doesn't wobble.

It's a bit tricky at first, but it's nice once you're using a rich dark black that doesn't smear.

The real downsides are the cost, and the fact that it is very hard to erase, and usually leaves pentimento marks behind. But I feel the advantages far outweigh the downsides.

Also, many times I start with a light HB for composition and construction lines, then switch to the Prismacolor for rendering.

I'll post some more Prismacolor pieces so you can see more samples.

This Piece; The Lost Giant
    b/w prismacolor on toned paper (Canson, pottery green)

2 hours

Last edited by Brion Frantz; September 2nd, 2010 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice designs,there's lots of improvement visible.
    I'd like to see some more color sketches too though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dejah Thoris

Prismacolor on toned paper. This isn't parchment, it's more like dyed newsprint. It's really cheap and toothy, falls apart easily, but I like using it for sketches.

Dejah Thoris sketch, from the John Carter series by Burroughs. 2 hours.

Last edited by Brion Frantz; September 12th, 2010 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

She Creature design

Another prismacolor on toned paper.

Original character/creature design.

I shake off a lot of images like this when I wake up in the morning, then I go back for them when I'm in a bad mood. They're all just in my head, lurking around.

I don't know what she is, exactly. Some kind of failed harpy larva.

Whatever she is, she loves you.

1 hour

Last edited by Brion Frantz; September 12th, 2010 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Old School Wolverine - Color Roughs

I had a request in here for more color roughs.

This was a live 2 hour demo in marker techniques.

Old School Wolverine always seemed to me more like a brawler from Jersey.

Original 14" x 17" Marker and Colored Pencil

Last edited by Brion Frantz; May 31st, 2010 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

study from Boucher

I try to spend as much time as possible studying from the great masters.

I found this image in one of my art history books, and I've been enjoying learning from it.

François Boucher - Reclining Satyr (sometimes called The Wounded Satyr or The Dying Satyr)

Original 14" x 17", Charcoal on paper, 4 hours

Last edited by Brion Frantz; September 12th, 2010 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really cool concepts and sketches in here
    That last sketch is real nice too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Elf women studies

Lots of crumpled paper today, this is the best I have to show for all of it so far.

Studies of heads for two female elf type characters. 20 min. page

Last edited by Brion Frantz; September 12th, 2010 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sentry Bot Design

Tesla Punk Bot Design in Alchemy and Illustrator

0.75 hours

Last edited by Brion Frantz; September 6th, 2010 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bot Design in Alchemy and Illustrator

Bot Design in Alchemy and Illustrator

Arena Combat Tesla Punk style techWalker

2.0 hours

Last edited by Brion Frantz; September 6th, 2010 at 03:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1