Art: My environments based on SketchUp models - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awsome use of sketch up ill definatley try and start to work my way into the programme.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetBehemoth View Post
    I Love how you overpainted that basic model of the turnaround! amazing use of the program.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by orgelf View Post
    speedpainting is a mistery for me ...so when I see your paintings from sketchup views !

Did you post any tutorial ?

is there any photoshop works in your rendering of the robot ?

very imspiring work .
    I don't know why it wasn't there, but just now I've added WIPs and videos to first post. Check it if you want to see how works were developed

About robot, beside these slightly edited in Photoshop, there aren't any real over paintings. I will do it once I'm finished with modeling my sci-fi hall.

I'm glad you like it

Quote Originally Posted by Jalc View Post
    awsome use of sketch up ill definatley try and start to work my way into the programme.
    Good luck! Combining two such different fields, 2D and 3D can be hard because usually people stick to one field. But knowing second field, even if it's little, can give much more possibilities. At this moment I'm working on 3D to make 2D/3D balance better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    clean this up and make it a sticky! I'm bookmarking it for sure. I use Maya, but I think it still applies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I've played with SketchyPhysics. It's a really powerful plugin with endless possibilities. As so far, I've played with one leg - there's video:

(if it's still being uploaded, download the original video file 6.7MB from there)

Now I need to work on hydraulic actuator to make it "stretchable". Next thing would be assembling everything and make spider robot a bit wonky to get feeling of machine and his mass ;-)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tonic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No comments.. just Awesome and a very good point of view and creative mind !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oddly enough I kinda wish that sketchup would spend their time developing more illustrator friendly addons, and leave the rigging to 3d programs. But that's just me and obviously you have made great use out of it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice!

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inspiring.

"Aspire to Inspire"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work on the mechanical leg Tonic! Looks like fun! Where can one get SketchyPhysics?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to you for kind words! I haven't touched my robot since I was joining all hinges, springs and servos in all six legs. It was tedious as you can't simply copy the leg and its' SketchyPhysics additions. I had to do legs separately. After I was done with all legs and launched SketchyPhysics mode, the robot was tilted for some reason.. I guess I need to work more But that's for later as I'm quite busy with other projects

@grid_gunner - newest version of plugin is as so far 3 RC1 - downloadable there http://forums.sketchucation.com/view...2a71a186dd0414

And forum section devoted to this plugin - http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewforum.php?f=61 (you will find there very useful unformations - like the FAQ or tutorial topics)

Oh, and by the way, the new version of SU2KT was released - 3.1 (a exporter between SketchUp and Kerkythea) and according to this line of change log:

- Animation export with FULL model per frame (supports proper_animation plugin, haven't tested it with Sketchy Physics)
    It sounds like animations done by SketchyPhysics could be rendered in Kerkythea. Though, it wasn't tested, so there's no certainty it will work.

Last edited by Tonic; January 9th, 2010 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the amazing works. Collaboration SU & PS impressive

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderfully Sketchup works!! That leg is much more impressive after seeing it in Sketchy Physics. Im defiantly going to look into that for future pieces
    Hope to see more real soon

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant. I may be inspired to learn Sketch Up now. Dang... :-O

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nick1987, Demo and RedPen - thank you very much

Recently I've focused a lot on 3D rendering. The kerkythea, despite being a free renderer, can do renders with a really good level of realism. Good lighting
    and materials are key to go. Unfortunately, I don't have much saved renders - at this moment I can show only this badly composed thing. Sorry

My environments based on SketchUp models

Annnnnd the best part - a design presentation how it would look in 2084 year, 100 years after first Apple computer was produced. Sorry for Polish
    language, but perhaps I'll translate it later. It was a contest work - results should be announced in 6th Janury. Keep fingers for me!

And WIP's or bigger versions of final fenders. Everything was rendered in VRay (with exception of one photoshopped town render). It's just that I wanted to
    try this renderer and learn more about 3D rendering. I think VRay has a really powerful engine that gives many possibilities with rendering and material
    settings. And it's quite fast, too. But the renderer's interface was, to be honest, crappy for me. It requires some patience and time to adjust/re-adjust/test/repeat.
    And it's expensive as well Trial version was used.

I'm currently waiting for Thea renderer. It's a commercial renderer of Kerkythea's developer that's currently being beta-tested. Check the beta
    renders - http://www.thearender.com/forum/index.php in Gallery sections. You have to be registered to see renders, unfortunately.

I'm seriously thinking of buying it for three reasons. It will be much cheaper than VRay/Maxwell or mental ray because there's discount for first buyers -
    50%, with it, the price is 195 euro. Second reason, the quality of renders are very high. And it's quite fast, in addiction. Third reason, this is a standalone
    renderer, which means that I don't have to pay for whole renderer for specific 3D modellers (like 3DS Max, Rhino 3D or SketchUp), only for plugins
    that allows to export to renderer. They costs not much - about 20 euro. In other words, it's much more economical, especially if you want to use various
    3D modellers, like me. I like to use modeller best for specific task. Architectural/modular/organic models and like this.

Just see the Thea forum - especially gallery section

Town or models unrelated to anything :

These are public computers that calculates everything and works with mobile interfaces (interfaces are a combination of monitor and interface, like
    keyboard, voice commands or gestures) wirelessly. This way, interfaces, are like laptops, but without calculating units. Cheper, less power draw, longer
    battery life and less weight.)

Bench

Playing with forms

Kerkythea + Photoshop

VRay (with crappy material settings) + Photoshop

Travel simulator (a room, where you can feel all external stimulus (spacial images - not flat screen, temperature, moisture, wind, odour, sound etc. -
    they're needed to gets closer to feeling like you're on real travel).

WIPs:

Very quick over paint - it often helps to get ideas for developing 3D model.

Holographic projector (not only it gives a 3D projected image, but you can model it with your hands in air - the projector catches movements of your
    arms and converts them to holographic 3D model sculpting software). The idea I'm proud of and wish it'd existed :-D). The size is comparable to the cup for tea.

iRubik (a small computer that computes all tasks for holographic projector and tablet wirelessly. You could put in backpack easily and travel with the whole digital artist set)

WIPs:

Playing with saturation and depth of field using Z-depth render in Photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A very little update to my Sci-fi hall project - boxes:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update for Sci-Fi hall. The module of high power resistors

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inspired by Demo's turnaround animation, I thought I'd upload it since I have it as well

(sorry for crappy start - somehow Youtube didn't success with conversion fully.. and camera isn't smooth - that's just SketchUp having limited options. Perhaps there are plugins for smoother and better controlled camera movements)

Modeled in SketchUp, normal render was done in VRay, z-depth renders in Kerkythea, frames were sticked together in Virtualdub and DOF effect was done in After Effects (whoa, so many software.. actually, I must find way to simplify workflow, right now I'm checking 3DSMax. For some reason, VRay 1.5 for SketchUp doesn't allow to render z-depth images :/)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, lately I'd to commit a presentation for my school. There's a fragment with animation. Also, I've added few renders after post-processing in Photoshop.

The animation production work flow: modelling in SketchUp, camera and renders (both normal and z-depth frames) were done in 3DSMax, depth of field and little post-processing in After Effects. For merging frames, I've used VirtualDub. It was hectic to make presentation with only one day, but I've learned a lot about 3DSMax and After Effects (and there's a lot more to learn ). 3DSMax was scary with interface, but I'm getting somehow used to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Tonic,
    can you please share the clay material you used in this image?
    thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatez View Post
    Hi Tonic,
    can you please share the clay material you used in this image?

thanks
    Actually that's a default Kerkythea material - I haven't touched materials in Sketchup/Kerkythea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, basically three things to mention.

1). I've started to learn 3DS Max. That's some monster with countless buttons, sliders and hidden options and I feel like monkey sitting there. But despite it, I find material editor very comfortable. And Vray plugin is nicely integrated with program - you work with both seamlessly, without exporting model to standalone renderer. Oh, and I started liking camera animations. I don't have to show yet, but soon I should post some flythrough animation.

2). I've taken a break from sci-fi hall and started another project - mainly for learning 3DS Max + Vray and I was strongly inspired by Alex Roman's animation "The Third & The Seventh" - you must see it! And switch to full screen mode!

3). After experimenting, I've decided I would expand the project to more complex (like adding foliage, moving clouds and sun rays - just anything to give "life" to scenery). For that reason, I've decided to leave it for some time and work on something simpler - for sake of learning most of 3D aspects, such as modeling, texturing, setting lighting, compositing, rendering and post producing - check Ad 3).

Ad 2). There are some peaks:

Ad 3). That's project I'm actually working on. Time clock and atmosphere pressure meter for boat that my dad bought on internet auction. I thought it looks cool and it would be a excellent exercise in 3D field because of forms, details and variety of materials/textures.

Sketchup model:

Exported to 3DS Max, applied a wireframe texture - very cool, it clearly shows forms and details. Also, I've enabled global illumination, which gives a cool lighting - hitting everywhere and smoothly.

There I disassembled the real clocks, removed round parts with numbers (how it is called?), scanned and edited in Photoshop. And tada, materials are ready for applying to models:

Added sun light - yeah, it improves realism:

My favourite part of 3D - post producing :-D Applied depth of field, edited colour and brightness curves, added chromatic aberration and a little of grain. I think these were biggest edits. They were done in After Effects.

Applied wood material. It's not the same as in real model, but I couldn't find correct texture in internet, so I went with temporary solution. The surface looks quite nice, but it's segmented.

Applied brass material. They need some tweaks and differencies - the real model has at least 4 various brass that differ with reflections, colours and level of dirtiness. Notice reflections - I had to add the image of surrounding (found it on internet, it was a photo of room interior). Without it, it was hardly looking like metallic surface.

Again, playing with post production :-D Now the wood looks a bit fleshy, but I think it adds nicely to creepiness factory ]:->

That's all for today. Right now I'm rendering flythrough animation frames. The estimated amount of frames is around 800-1000. This animation is for testing/learning purposes, so the rendering settings are quite low and thanks to that, it renders much quickier - 1 to 2 minutes per frame. With high quality, it would be 8-10 minutes per frames! I wish I had a farm of computers for distributed rendering

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished "sketch" 50 second animation. Bigger resolution can be found there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you've been busy dude. Your 3d skills and materials have come a long way. Although I think I prefer the mix media versus the pure renders.

The clock / animation thing. Very nice materials and a cool design. Few things to point out:

I noticed the clocks are missing a glass cover over the hands. Kinda bugs me because those hands are typically very flimsy. Everything about the design feel solid and designed except for that. If you did put a class casing over it, I would love to see some sort of stylish etched glass work. It could really add to the design as well as create some interesting light & shadows on the face of the clock.

During the animation of the clock the opening with the old school flicker pop I found a bit distracting and the fact it goes away after the opening makes me think you should just pull it out entirely.

Around the 21-22 time mark looks like the face of the clock pops and reorients itself. Kinda weird.

Then from around the 25 to 35 mark there are some harsh camera speed transitions as well as a fade in and out jerk. The jerks/pops I would try to smooth out and remove from the animation.

Your definitely a brave man for taking on Max! It is truly an evil program but sadly sketchup is missing some features max has and there is no other way around it.

Overall though great work. I would love to see some more

Ideas are easy. Making them real is hard.
    Sketchbook
    SketchUpBook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirp Chirp View Post
    Looks like you've been busy dude. Your 3d skills and materials have come a long way. Although I think I prefer the mix media versus the pure renders.
    Yeah, 3D for me, who primarily works in 2D field, was a pain in the ass and monster time eater at the beginning, but it's getting smoother as so far. Until I'll have to learn new 3D features, such as instances (for example, grass or leaves)

I noticed the clocks are missing a glass cover over the hands. Kinda bugs me because those hands are typically very flimsy. Everything about the design feel solid and designed except for that. If you did put a class casing over it, I would love to see some sort of stylish etched glass work. It could really add to the design as well as create some interesting light & shadows on the face of the clock.
    Good point with robustness of clocks, thanks for pointing it. Originally, the clocks had plastic covers and I was wondering whether to put them on 3D model. But due to issues with refractions, I hidden them. Now thinking about robustness - I think a non-robustness can be a good thing, because it evoked in you a feeling of clock hands's delicateness. It could be similar to looking at leaning tower of Pisa's - it still holds ground, but the fact that it is leaning, might cause anxiety. Another example would be one of Calatrava's bridge - there's image. From technical point of view, it will hold fine, but from visual view of point, it might be totally different - few threads that holds one 'falling' big solid mass? It doesn't sound reliably. And that's exactly what architect wanted to do (or at least that's what I'm thinking). Concluding, both, robustness and delicateness can be good ideas, it probably depends what feeling you want to evoke.

During the animation of the clock the opening with the old school flicker pop I found a bit distracting and the fact it goes away after the opening makes me think you should just pull it out entirely.
    Well, I had to experiment and see it visually. I'm fond of the very old photos/videos with high contrast, narrow value range, highly grained image and a lot of various flickering effects. Charlie Chaplin's first movies are the examples coming to my head first. But I do like clean, synthetic images as well. To be honest, I'm not sure yet which style I'll go along with for sake of consistence of style.

Around the 21-22 time mark looks like the face of the clock pops and reorients itself. Kinda weird.
    There are two different faces for each clock - they're swapped because at some point 3DS Max has crashed (sic!) and I forgot to swap faces before rendering remaining frames. At first I thought "ugh!", but later I started thinking it looks a bit surreal. Although, if looking at whole animation, it looks rather weird. I think I will try to create more weird actions, giving more balance

Then from around the 25 to 35 mark there are some harsh camera speed transitions as well as a fade in and out jerk. The jerks/pops I would try to smooth out and remove from the animation.
    I'm not sure what camera speed transitions you meant. Could you tell more?

Your definitely a brave man for taking on Max! It is truly an evil program but sadly sketchup is missing some features max has and there is no other way around it.
    That's how life of designer who relies on artworks always looks. She/he must depends on quite few programs to achieve certain effects or get them in shortest time. But I like it, the more software you know, the more combinations, thus more final effects you can do

Overall though great work. I would love to see some more
    Glad you liked it! I'm going to polish up clocks and render in higher resolution and quality. Then, I'll return to the first two projects (sci-fi hall with wacky robot and stone cheese).

Last edited by Tonic; May 9th, 2010 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with him about the hands. There is something I don't buy at all about the hands-- the "typeface" that they typically use for hands, on clocks like that, is very different from your design. Your design has a more modern feel and it doesn't match with the "nautical" feel of those clocks. Also, the hands are much too thick; they are typically about as thin as a razor blade.

Of course, this is a minor quibble. Otherwise excellent artwork.

"I know the Way, know the Way, know the Way, know the Way" -Achilles' Last Stand

Tutorial: Realistic Perspective Renderings from 2D Line Art
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Strela, thanks for notifying the differences - good to know how good quality clocks differs. My clocks are Chinese cheapo :-P

A little update - working on wood and plastic covers.

EDIT:

2 new renders after post production. I changed the method for creating background/reflections/global lighting - not only it renders faster, but the quality is better as well.

Last edited by Tonic; May 11th, 2010 at 11:33 AM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hay Tonic i was looking around today and found this little plugin you might have heard of it before but i thought id drop it off here for you to look into.
    its a simpler way to create curved surfaces inside sketch-up.
    Also dose some other neat looking things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcOrl...eature=related

Download here.
    http://www.tensile-structures.de/sb_software.html

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!

Your sketckup skills and coloring is awesome!

But do u have any step by step tutorials? Cuz the video one is somehow too fast for me to catch up and I tried using Sketchup pro to get the correct camera angle but the thing is I dun know which one u clicked is it field of view or orbit? It its orbit how do you manage to rotate the angle u want? I tried but couldn't...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CharmaineVallen View Post
    Wow!

Your sketckup skills and coloring is awesome!

But do u have any step by step tutorials? Cuz the video one is somehow too fast for me to catch up and I tried using Sketchup pro to get the correct camera angle but the thing is I dun know which one u clicked is it field of view or orbit? It its orbit how do you manage to rotate the angle u want? I tried but couldn't...
    Hold CTRL key and use orbit. It will roll the camera. But be aware, with some clicks or camera tools (can't remember which one), it could reset the rotation. I'm afraid I don't have step-by-step, but now that you mentioned it, I think I'll try to make it with next project.

Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    Hay Tonic i was looking around today and found this little plugin you might have heard of it before but i thought id drop it off here for you to look into.
    its a simpler way to create curved surfaces inside sketch-up.
    Also dose some other neat looking things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcOrl...eature=related

Download here.
    http://www.tensile-structures.de/sb_software.html
    Heard it :-D At the beginning I thought it's a simple and really cool plugin, but I had a lot of problems with more complex bases (more curves on which you place tensioned material) and there were wrong faces. Instead this plugin, I started using "Extrude Edges by Rails" by TIG - works more robust and is very promising - just go see review:

http://sketchuppluginreviews.com/201...lugins-review/

Example from another site:

And some old works - only two, sorry:

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonic View Post
    Hold CTRL key and use orbit. It will roll the camera. But be aware, with some clicks or camera tools (can't remember which one), it could reset the rotation. I'm afraid I don't have step-by-step, but now that you mentioned it, I think I'll try to make it with next project.:
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Do let me know when your next tutorial is out.

Hope to see more of your works. Just asking how long do you practise drawings everday? I mostly practise about 4 to 6 hours; can't practise too long due to my eyes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 14