Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $5,000

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts

$5,000

What would you do with $5,000?

I just got 5K "found money" and am looking to apply it to job searching. I'm staying with family and have almost no bills as I look for work. I work traditional and have a decent computer with a scanner and a good printer. I've been kept on file by a few dream job animation studios but am working to upgrade the portfolio

The biggest thing this cash will pay for is a few months off to work on the stuff. I can also afford to print a lot of portfolios and hopefully budget for a trip to SDCC to show the book to recruiters. In the mean time I know I'll buy a passport to apply to Canada, as well as PSElements to handle the basics of layout and printing. A portfolio website will probably happen as well.

I know I'm inviting some goofy responses here but for the sake of maybe getting a few good ideas mixed in... (especially if you're job searching)... What would you do with $5,000?
    Last edited by Bill; January 8th, 2009 at 03:20 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

Thanks
    I'd rather not say, I'd just like to put it to productive use.

Thanks
    Vegas, seeing as how money seems to grow on trees with you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blahm View Post
    Vegas, seeing as how money seems to grow on trees with you.
    Yes, I'm really feeling quite Lavish as I sit here in the back bedroom of my Mother's house preparing to inflate the aerobed. But hey, when you're pulling down $81.57 a week in Youngstown, Ohio people are bound to resent your prosperity.

Anyway... thoughts?
    Last edited by Bill; January 8th, 2009 at 03:32 AM.

Thanks

Create a List and budget and timeline of all the things you need to move forward, and go from there, and remember that resting without working is procrastination ^_^

Also 5k is not that much money, do you have a savings account ? If not, that would be a start. also, any companies that survive this economic "slowdown" stock will eventually go back up (3 years ?), perhaps now would be the time to invest. maybe a stock trading account.

Chances are you know what you should/want to/need to do better than anyone else, simply doing it is the hard part, or maybe the easiest part, because waiting around just plain sucks.

I tend to always suggest using money on something that is timeless and cannot be taken from you, such as education, is there a community college near you ? $_$

~Sean

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_S_14 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    you can buy plots of land for that. Thats what i would do if i had some extra cash right now. There is some pretty cool ways to build houses on the cheap. But thats me, sick of rent slavery and all that.

Mabie pluck some diamonds from this diamond studded aerobed you have to cover the rest?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blahm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    A good rule for freelancers is to always have at least 3 months wages in a savings account, in case work dries up (yeah right!)
    It's a habit that you might want to take onboard (even if you're not freelancing.)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    pay my debts... Now the economical posibilities are really bad. You can buy gold, is the only thing that is uping ever.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LuisDavid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pay off the rest of my CC bills (they are pretty small but it is nice to get them down to zero), then throw the rest into savings. There really are no immediate needs that I can think of that I'd want to buy or do with the cash.
    Last edited by Meli Hitchcock; January 8th, 2009 at 03:21 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Meli Hitchcock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You can always invest in something.

Thanks
    I got some ideas for you,
    first off, when I clicked on your portfolio link there it took me to a conceptart sketchbook thread....no, thats not your portfolio. you should look around into other peoples folio sites and look for the things you like, and then make a list. After you have your list and know what you want, hire a web designer to make one for you ( I know a few if you need ref). Preferably, have one made with an admin back end, for easy up load and modification of your images. Otherwise you will get stuck using Dreamweaver or similar to do ALL you site updates. There is also a lot of free pre-made website templates if you look around. So if you grab one of those all you have to worry about is paying the coder to make your site work the way you want it to. You want do do this when you have some extra cash available, because custom admin back ends can get pricey-depending on what you want/need. And trust me, your life will be a heck of a lot easier if you have one...more time to spend on your artwork too.

The other thing I would suggest, would be to grab some books. The learning type and the reference type. You can never have enough reference ( people, buildings, landscapes, animals, etc). By what I saw on your sketchbook, you could use some reference material, as well as some tutorial material and some more practice (ill leave that for the critique section)
    So investing on some good books will do you a great deal of good.

Perhaps some DVD's as well, or some downloadable videos (I hear CA has some kick ass videos )

Tools...dont know if you do traditional painting or anything like that, but that stuff can get expensive too. Its always nice to stock up on your favorite stuff for later use.

Oh yeah, you're living at your mom's house...PAY THE WOMAN SOME RENT!!!!
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JL.Alfaro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 907 Posts
    I would use it to pay for my food as I practiced and worked my ass off to get better and better work done. But in my current state I would invest in oils and acrylics/brushes and all the rest of the goodness
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Delicious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    balls, I wrote a reply and it vanished!

In any case, I'd do like Mr. Delicious says and squirrel it away to pay living expenses while busting my ass towards portfolio development and job searching. If you're living at home, your overhead should be quite low, so you can probably stretch it a great deal and not have to waste time and energy at some day job.

hire a web designer to make one for you ( I know a few if you need ref). Preferably, have one made with an admin back end, for easy up load and modification of your images. Otherwise you will get stuck using Dreamweaver or similar to do ALL you site updates.
    I just want to say that, especially if you keep things simple (and there's no reason a portfolio site needs to be complex), I highly recommend taking the DIY route with an artist site. Nearly every person I know who hired someone else to build them a site ends up with something perpetually out of date because they either don't have access for updates or don't know how to really do updates, so they rely on someone else who either charges more money or does it "when they get to it" (which is hardly ever). Dreamweaver is a handy little program. I've got no complaints myself, and only me to blame when it gets behind on updates.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So... you found my $5,000. Thanks. I´ll send someone to pick it up.

Thanks
    I'd probably invest it in a much needed college fund. that's just me of course, as I'm too young to worry about the costlier things in life at the moment.
    Name's Todd. I'd encourage you to check out my sketchbook, but it's full of shit, natch.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LuisDavid View Post
    pay my debts... Now the economical posibilities are really bad. You can buy gold, is the only thing that is uping ever.
    If you buy gold be prepared to sell it when it reaches a specific value in a specific amount of time. You may end up buying it almost expensive and realize you´re having to sell it cheap in 8 to 12 months... Who knowns?

If i were you i would use it in education, like buying some DVDs from CA, DVDs, and stuff like that, and to help yourself on the journey to find the job you want.
    My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009

27. The Following User Says Thank You to carlosranna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    JL: You are right sir, that link isn't a formal portfolio of course, but some of it is work from my current mailer. As this is my first job search I don't really know how to gauge results in such an unusual economy. Obviously one of the variables is the work that I'm sending so I linked thinking I might get some feedback, like yours. Thank You.

The stuff was hobbled together on holidays, weekends, and, finally, a layoff from years of 10.5-12 hour temp-job factory days so I'm happy to be able to focus towards picking the presentation up a notch now that there's a small bit of stability. At the same time I've only sent a small amount of mailers to the highest profile places and a few have said they'd keep me on file. Maybe the same stuff would get in one of those in better economics, maybe in better economics I'd have heard from more studios, maybe I need to send 100,200,300 mailers instead of 18(just got a printer), maybe I need to try lower profile shops, maybe I need to look at a different(?) economy in Canada, and, of course, maybe I'm just not good enough. In these economics though it's really difficult to know without a previous frame of reference. I do realize, of course, the better the stuff the more likely/sooner/better the job*. The worst presentation(Kinkos color copies) of the worst portfolio(link^) in the worst economics in 80 years got responses from some dream jobs though. We'll see.

Dave: Thak you. What you're talking about is exactly what I had in mind and it's good to get some affirmation on that. Dreamweaver sounds about right for me right now I think. I appreciate the comment.

* Looking around the world at people with real problems I do know, even after a LONG, shitty, chapter of paying dues, that I'm ridiculously lucky to have the chance to chase this down at all. The whole point of this for me is that when I eventully have kids I'd like for them to be connected to the artists, writers, musicians and various creatives of a major studio. I feel at this point I've gotten enough affirmation to know that I control the "if", in this economy I admit to be worried as hell about the "when". Thanks for the advice on how to budget the cash, I'm sure that it will provide time for practice and better work as well as Deamweaver and a real portfolio site.
    Last edited by Bill; January 8th, 2009 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LuisDavid View Post
    On the contrary, as long as you have a couple of years to invest, now is an excellent time to buy stocks. Stocks are cheap now, and will almost certainly recover their value.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I'd rather not say, I'd just like to put it to productive use.
    Give it to me, i'll live like a rockstar for 20minutes while you watch. It will be grand.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I'm staying with family and have almost no bills as I look for work.
    Maybe you can thank your Mom for her hospitality with some of that.
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSillustration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Bill if you need like, the easiest damn dreamweaver tutorial ever I can send that to you/walk you through some other aspects of the program from one noob to another. I took it in college for one course but the teacher was terrible and only taught us how to work with slices in dreamweaver (which is more or less an automatic sort of deal) but this tut gave me the basics to go with, even if you're building it from a template.

I forget whoever gave it to me (I forget ) Thank you a ton

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'd pay off as many bills as I could, actually that would pay off all my bills except my student loan. The rest I'd put in my savings account.
    A: Because everybody knows that white is the default race.

Thanks
    Just put it in the bank?? Why do you have spend it?

Thanks
    I guess I'm the only one. But if I found $5000 I would take it to the police, bank, whatever and get rid of it.

After "finding" over 10.000 euros of money in total over the last few years this is all I can say. If you found actual money in the streets, turn it in. If you suddenly got it on your bankaccount, notify the bank. Dont hang on to it, and definitly dont spend it on anything unless you are 100% certain its yours. And 100% means you notified whatever can be notified and waited a few years. The last thing you want is that in 5 years you suddenly got a debt of 5k+ interest.

Then again, since this thread actually lacks any story about the money, this might not apply.
    "Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Duq: "I guess I'm the only one. But if I found $5000 I would take it to the police, bank, whatever and get rid of it."

Duq, It's government money from the recent unemployment extension. I wasn't quick to mention the source as I have mixed emotions about taking a government handout. That said the money will be put to it's intended use of finding gainful employment.

DSillustration: "Maybe you can thank your Mom for her hospitality with some of that. "

Dan, of course. What she really wants is grandkids though, which ain't gonna happen 'till I (an only) get a job But no, I haven't forgotten about Mom, and I know that I'm luckier than many to have a place to stay while I regroup during this recession.

Jason Rainville: "Bill if you need like, the easiest damn dreamweaver tutorial ever I can send that to you/walk you through some other aspects of the program ..."

Jason, I may eventually take you up on that, Thank You. Comments like this are what I was hoping for when I started the thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Me?
    Since I'm a student I would use 5K to pay off whatever scholarships didn't for school and work towards my degree some more

That..... or....
    Buy 5000 dollar double cheeseburgers
    And pass them out in front of a McDonalds all day

But thats just me

Thanks
    donate it to an almost homeless starving artist who has family problems...n'stuff...

Thanks
    Check out my site: I don't think it sucks, what do you think? I did it myself. It took a long time, it isn't easily upgradeable, but it's a strong promotional tool. I know people have visited it, and came out impressed, and therefore I have gotten some jobs with it, both local and international. Now with that kind of money, I would do wonders here in Ecuador, but I guess you live in a more expensive country so my best suggestion, is your money to promote yourself online. Hosting my website costs me about 100 dollars a year. I know people who spend that kind of money in parties... you know what I mean? 100 bucks is nothing. Make a website, start a blog alongside with your site, update the blog more regularly than the site: for example update the site every 6 months or so, and try to make weekly blog updates. Go register in deviantart, in behance.com, PROMOTE yourself, make some business cards, hand them around to EVERYONE you know, even if they aren't related to the arts. Make some nifty portfolios, print them and hand them out to local ad or editorial agencies. People will notice. All of this shouldn't cost you more than 500 bucks. With the rest, I suggest you should save it, or invest it in something important you might need (for example, a computer). Good luck!
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

42. The Following User Says Thank You to GriNGo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Break up your money into different sections or put it in your savings.

You say you want work, well what can money do for you to get a job? I am confused by that.

But, if I had to choose I would give 10% of it to the Church because in the first place God gave you your money it is the least you could do.
    Second, I would see if my family needed any help with some bills or finances.
    Third, I would think what could I spend some of this money to help me find a job or get better artistically. Possibly get into some classes or pay for a teaching session.
    Four, if you have space in your home I would get art objects to better surround your productivity in your upcoming businesses or work. An example would be a new art computer/laptop, art desks, lighting, paint, brushes, pencils, canvases, cameras, light tables, etc.

Five, worry about the future as well. Your children and your wife. What could you get to prepare for your family's well being in the future.

Six, get exposure. Set up websites with others help with your money and get your name out there so you can build a foundation of making money and providing for your family.

I am sure you plan to spend this gift wisely because you posted here and willing to see what others think, and I hope that I didn't just repeat what everyone else is saying.

As for me, I am a student and only have 100$ to work with and it was funny to come across this thread. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.