Thom Yorke 2 WIP

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Thom Yorke 2 WIP

Hey everyone! I'm a new traditional painter. I only started painting this year, and I need some help!

I figured that I was more or less done with this piece, but I've received very conflicting critiques concerning it, so I wanted to see what you guys would say.

It is my first somewhat large painting. I always tend to work small.
    It is 16x30 inches or something like that, done in oils on that weird canvas panel stuff (I think it feels too grainy so I often sand it down). It is my second color oil painting ever, and I had so much fun with it I can't even explain to you guys how enjoyable it was to make. I did a payne's gray/titantium white gestural underpainting before starting with color.

So here it is. It is only slightly cropped because I don't have my tripod with me and my hands shake too much to get an even shot. And as always, it looks much better in real life.

How do you think I should move forward and better my color relationship skills? Do you think the patchwork skin is effective, and if not, how could I employ the same sortof technique in a different way? (It really was a blast to make, so I'm reluctant to give it up) Do you have any advice concerning painting large vs. painting small? I'm kindof at a loss with the background because before it was all small triangular shapes but wayyyy too busy, have any suggestions? Anything else that could help me become a better painter?

Thanks so much!

Name:  ybhh.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  149.2 KB

I am a love suicide.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The patchwork colors on the skin tone is neat, but it's a bit much on the cheeks. Almost distracting. His left side of the nose, the Alae seems a bit big.

As for background it might have been easier to paint the background beforehand, and then place the subject on top. Now you have to worry about the background colors throwing off the skin tones.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the crit!
    Thom really did have very warm/pink/orange cheeks, but I will go back to this painting this coming week and see what I can do. I'm happy you like this type of painting. It was lots of fun. I actually did paint the background first, surprising! It was a neutral mid-key ground for the painting, but the idea had always been to paint very small contrasting triangles all over it. I thought that I'd rather paint him first and wait till after to do the triangles because they take so long, but they just didn't mesh with this painting. I don't mind so much that I have to worry about the bg being odd in comparison to the skintone, I'm pretty diligent, so I'll just keep working and fixing until it is right. I actually like it just fine now that it is much dryer and that I've left it alone for a few days.

Gosh, I didn't know that it seemed too big. He doesn't have a particularly large nose, but it is oddly shaped. I might just keep it that way for now and work on fixing the cheek areas to make them less distracting. I can always fix small anatomical problems later when I get a crit from my portfolio teacher.

Thanks for helping! I greatly appreciate the feedback and will work on making this piece a better one! I was worried that it would be received poorly because I'm so new to painting that I really don't know what's what.

I am a love suicide.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.