Thanks

GIMP vs. Photoshop/Painter

Hi there,

I would like to know what you think about GIMP as a tool for painting. I know that most people here use Painter or Photoshop, but I have used neither of them yet. I also haven't used Gimp much for painting yet, I use the free tool Artweaver of which I feel I might have outgrown, or at least I want to get to know top tools to use them "once and for all". So I'm interested whether GIMP is a good enough tool to really compete with the commercial ones. For me, I consider even buying a license of one of the commercial tools, but as a matter of fact I work with Linux and it would be convenient to paint in Linux, and that's why I'm also interested in GIMP.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I was going to say that some of the tools aren't as top quality or need alot of tweaking to get the desired effect and that the UI is a bit... strange. But you use Linux, so it shouldn't be a problem for you honestly. The power of the programs is similar and there's tons of plugins and tut's available for the GIMP.

Best bet is to just try it out.

Thanks
    As long as you can draw you can do well with Gimp.
    It doesnt have loads of stuff you have in photoshop but the most important is there
    Sai and Artrage are free too but i dont know if you can run them in linux.
    Check polterge!st's artwork done in gimp and this thread too.

All this being said i dont think Gimp actually competes with toshop from a professional viewpoint, feel like clicking another link?
    Read James Thornton's post then.
    Its not about Gimp but more about why most pros use Toshop.

Thanks
    I would say as far as painting goes gimp is a good rival for ps and a good alternative for it on linux but as far as painter goes, it's its own beast. But if you do want to use PS you'll probably have to run one of the older vers. (PS 7 works and is awesome.) because last I checked (in about mid April of 08) there were still major bugs when trying to run the CS versions of PS. It took one of my friends about 3 days to install CS2 and then it would just crash or freeze most of the time. Never really checked painter on linux so you'd have to try that out yourself.

Thanks
    Hi there!

Thanks for your replies!

Poltergeist's stuff ist incredibly awesome! Awesome.

Vato Loco, when you say that it crashes, or that PS 7 is stable, are you talking about Windows or about Linux-emulation (like WINE)? I'm asking because if you are talking about Windows it sounds kind of scary, CS4 being the latest and CS2 being still buggy?!

What about Photoshop Elements? Is that good for painting?

Do you know any good tutorials, or maybe DVDs, for GIMP actually? I mean not general stuff, but something like "GIMP for painting"?

It's a shame programs like PS and Painter are not translated for Linux, although I know that it's a lot of work and I guess not very promising (comercially)!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    I got the GIMP version Xandros provides. After you get used to the user interface it's not too bad. My cursor seems a little bit jiggly when I am trying to use my wacom intuos, but my hands tremble so it might not really be the GIMP or the OS.

You can't really crank up the brushes to giant size like you can on Photoshop and it appears that if you want to mess around with brushes you need to learn how to deal with script fu. (Edit: according to the tutorials it doesn't appear to be as hard as all that. I'd say run the GIMP in one of your virtual desktops and have the internet on the other so you can toggle back and forth following the tutorial.) There are tutorials about making brushes and writing script in the below link.

Have you looked at the tutorials on http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/ ?

My experience with Photoshop Elements was not too good. It's rather fundamental.
    Last edited by arttorney; January 7th, 2009 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks
    Gimp is a gimped version of PS!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by quaternion View Post
    Hi there!

Thanks for your replies!

Poltergeist's stuff ist incredibly awesome! Awesome.

Vato Loco, when you say that it crashes, or that PS 7 is stable, are you talking about Windows or about Linux-emulation (like WINE)? I'm asking because if you are talking about Windows it sounds kind of scary, CS4 being the latest and CS2 being still buggy?!

What about Photoshop Elements? Is that good for painting?

Do you know any good tutorials, or maybe DVDs, for GIMP actually? I mean not general stuff, but something like "GIMP for painting"?

It's a shame programs like PS and Painter are not translated for Linux, although I know that it's a lot of work and I guess not very promising (comercially)!
    Ep, I was talking about WINE. The programs work fantastic on windows. Having used both CS2 trial and bought the CS3 suite I'll vouch for the programs. Anyways, I'd check again just in case, since I don't use linux myself so I dun know if they might have fixed the issues.

Thanks
    Imo, the Gimp can't rival PS when it comes to ease of use and functionality, but for a 100% free tool it's a pretty good first choice if you don't want to/can't pay for PS or similar. As already mentioned, the amount of plugins for the Gimp is huge, and it probably has the most active community of all the free editors out there.

If you're used to PS though, the Gimp takes some getting used to, it's a little bit different user interface and terminology, but it can do most of the tasks Photoshop can, especially with the plugin support.