Boa Constrictor...

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Boa Constrictor...

I've been working with this one quite a while, and it's starting to take shape.
    I want to improve it in any way I can, so I'm forever thankful for any critique you may have.
    It's still far from done, I have some edges and such I'm gonna do over again and such.

This isn't so much a "concept" drawing, but it's a test for me to see how long it'll take before I run insane with all the details.... *giggles* Besides, I'm obsessed with snakes. *shrugs*

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The composition is very weird for me, even with the head begining to be detailed my eye keeps drifting to the bit of body in the lower right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm..well the head looks alrite, but the body and "neck" feel very thick and chunky. Consider doing something with the tongue; rite now it's just hanging there looking wierd. A real snake tongue would be "flicking;" try to capture that motion to help give the piece more interest.

Rite now, those things, combined with teh sort of plastic look you've gone for makes the whole thing feel very fake, which probably isn't the look you're going for. It's a good start tho, so keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your comments! it's always very helpful to get someone else besides yourself to look at drawings.. ^^

badkittyamy: I think I see what you mean, the drawing gets really heavy at the bottom there. I'll try to see if I can fix that up!

Ivory-Shadows: Thanks for the tip about the tongue, and I agree with you! I'll try to see if I can get some motion going on... ^^
    I'm nooot too sure if I understand what you say about the neck tho. Boas usually have thick necks, compared to a python or a corn snake. I'll work on it tonight and see if I can post something that may look a little better, neckwise?

yeah, it does have that "plastic" sense.. :/ it's because of the light at the back of its head, isn't it? It makes a very flat appearance. Is there any way of making it to look more "scaley"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kalynr09 View Post
    although its far from done..it looks pretty amazing to me !!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, well as far as teh thickness goes, I think maybe once you start to add in the details and define it'll look alrite. Maybe just try to make it "flow" a little bit, so as to make it feel more real and alive...ugh I can't really describe it sorry.

The bigger issue tho, is that kinda fake, plastic look going on. Are you doin this in photoshop, or something similar? If you're using filters, etc. to get the scale look, and the lighting, I'd suggest trying something else. Create the lighting effects by workin with the color values, so that you shade it the way you want it shaded. As far as the scales and textures go, putting in the work to create that scale texture yourself mite be the way to go. I'm no expert, but it's what I'd suggest.

The most important thing to keep in mind, I'd say, from what I've been told, is that when someone looks at your image they should never be able to recognize when a filter or somethin like it has been used. Hopefully someone who knows more about this kinda stuff will comment, and clarify some of the stuff I'm talkin bout =P

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.