I need Of some desparate Help
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I need Of some desparate Help

I'm currently creating One of many Tarot Cards for a friends card game. I know there are much easier ways to go about making these cards, but i would like to make them In Photoshop from scratch using just reference of course. I'm having the most difficult time going into the production phase of finishing or polishing. If there is any help out there i'll gladly take it

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Jamba Was Here
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your going to have to explain the card before we can help you. for instance, are these 2 cards or 2 versions of the same one? I see there's some kind of tower in the image. someone in front of it I think. too small/dark to make out. and perhaps a sun in the sky? or sparkles.. I don't know tarot card and haven't got a clue what's supposed to be happening. the red does imply something ominous.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what they mean either, but the white tower is leaning to the left as it goes up. Is that intentional?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before you start painting with color it usually helps to have a b&w sketch mapping out the tonal values. As it is now, the tower is just a gray thing with very little depth. You need to decide on a light source and how it hits the tower. The longer you spend sketching highlights, shadows, and every value in between, the more 3d it will start to look. Having all this worked out before adding color tends to make the painting process go a lot smoother.

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is my opinion that the Tower is the worst of the Major Arcana cards. It depicts bad news, a terrible happening or event. It gives warning that something is going to happen, whether it be physical or emotional, the news is shattering - thus the tower. It should depict a streak of lightening in the night sky striking the tower and stones falling to the rocky shores below. Its all about how you prepare for the news or event that makes the card so unappealing to those having the Tarot read for them. You can either take the news and prepare for it or you can suffer the consequences of not readying yourself properly. Either way the Tower is meant to make you feel like you are falling from a high place out of control with no way to stop what is happening.

I'd start with a dark sky, then add lightening. The Tower card can be read many ways so it will be up to you to render it in a way that allows the reader to "see" many sides of the story.

I will help as much as I can. Good Luck!

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks and a little more info.

To ashess for the most part the colors in the top where just my palette and the big white blob was just a light source, which should have been taking off my apologies. and to Spiralingvortex not it should be straight for the most part apparently i should work on my perspective a little more thanks and below i have added the illustration of the actual card its self. well one of many examples.
    Yes in Response to what taort Card this is. Its The Tower XVI, which using means bad things to come. The thing is these are two different variants of the cards, and both should be dark and looming. thanks Rauwolf and Razorleaf for the advice i'll keep working on it and get back to you with more sketches.

Jamba Was Here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Taking your advice

I started to work on some black and white works and i'm kinda getting it down a little, but it seems as though i feels best on organic. This is something that i look pretty good for a change thought i would let you go to town with Cirts

Jamba Was Here

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its a different take on the usual tower but I think you are on to something. I really like the spiral effect as it is sybolic of spiraling out of control. Really Nice!

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ye I think this can go somewhere. maybe make the top pointier to get a higher feel& create more balance in the picture. maybe with a little more view from below on the higher parts.. start fleshing this out a bit and it should look good.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Life is sliding down a helter-skelter - good call, but needs sharpening a lot.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you really don't have a good idea of what you're going for yet. Try drawing it out with lines... and if you can't do that, you don't have a concrete idea yet. Since you have a goal in mind, but it's vague. If you were working from scratch, with nothing to go on, sure, try it this way.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here is more skills

Here is more sketches.

Jamba Was Here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of these are interesting concepts, but keep in mind that there have to be some identifiable earmarks that show this is actually a tower. The first and forth one look like the horn of a unicorn or something, and the second one looks like stairs leading into a massive vagina. The only one that looks vaguely identifiably as a building is the third one, and it appears really uninspired. I don't know your restrictions on artistic interpretation with these cards, but my advice would be to look at some real-world towers or ramparts and try to use that as a base for your own artistic embellishments.

Hope this helps big D.

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.