Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: composition

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,280 Posts

composition

i suck at composition havent used a hard brush yet whatta yall think of the crop /idea is hes about to sacrafice the lass whatta ya think sofar? anything i should add?
    Last edited by SMILEFACE; January 9th, 2009 at 09:54 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Composition looks nice, would really improve if you used a hard brush, unless thats just part of your process, i only use hard brushes, and low low low opacities, however as far as adding things work more on the night sky and the rocks etc, just give it more details with some hard brushing.

Thanks
    thanks adammelo your new avatar ROCKS!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 586 Posts
    Composition wise, the first apparently problem is that 3 out of 4 corners have nothing going on. No lights, no interesting clouds, no background at all. I know it's still early in the drawing, but that's the kind of thing you need to plan out from the get go so you have a unified piece as you go on.

Now, from what's there. Technically this should work, because of the bright head leading down to the arm, continuing down the leash to the girl. But it doesn't - I literally can't look away from the glowing orb and the guy's head, it's like they're the only 2 things in the painting! So here's what you need to do-

1 - Establish your light source and stick with it. The arm implies 2 very bright side light sources, while the rest of the painting implies no direct light at all. Decide where the main light comes from, figure out a secondary light source, and then use that to describe your forms better.

2) That green orb is giving off a lot of light, but it's only reaching the guy's head. Make sure you have green light showing up on his arm, some of his leg, and especially the girl. We need to know she's part of this painting's lighting otherwise we won't look at her.

3) That girl must, must, must get some of the lighting on her, from both the green orb and the primary light source! She's practically shrinking away. Don't worry too much about stealing the attention away from the main guy- the glowing orb and his looking at it are creating a very strong focal point as it is (there's a word for that effect, but I can't remember it. Anyone know the word?). You'd have to color that girl neon pink to distract us from him.

Lets see where this goes! Great that you're trying to figure out the composition before going on, it's one of the most important parts of any painting.

-Sid

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks Chagan you ROCK!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 586 Posts
    Damn, that was fast. Looks much better composition wise now.

As adammelo pointed out, you might actually get some better mileage out of a hard brush. It becomes really difficult to describe form with soft brushes and you really should save those for when you're detailing, long after you have all the forms blocked in. Also, don't forget to fix the lighting on the guy's arm- only the left-facing side should have a strong highlight, not both sides.

Can't wait to see where this goes!

-Sid

Thanks
    thanks Chagan you gave me so much to think about
    hopes this adds a bit to the comp

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts
    imo the figures are now too centered. Would help if you shifter them to the right or expanded the canvas to the left

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks NoodleDoodle dont know if i made it better ?

Thanks

Talking

yall think this crop is better?

Thanks
    No, i like the one with constructions more.
    I like that ghost behind (the big one). The only thing I would not recommand is using "liqufy" to make cloud/myst effects. At least it looks to me you did. Maybe point out the moon on the upper left conrner a bit, so we can see what gives that light on the rock and stuff. Going pretty good so far, but still needs work. I'd like to see it finished soon.

Cheers!
    Looking for a job!

"Just remember when you're standing on your pedestal so tall, the higher up you go, the farther down you fall!"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to OplanicP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like the third one back where it is just him and her on the crest with lots of open space ... it gives a lot of drama and depth to the piece. You get the impression that he could sacrifice her over the edge at any time.

Hahaha ..... why is it that women are always naken, why can't the man be naked for once hahahah. I'd like to see that - have the woman holding the reins and the man on his knees naked ... yes! That would be something to see hahahahah Gawd maybe I will do one of those hahahah
    "Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Razorleaf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    haha thanks Razorleaf its like that in art cause its the other way around in real life if you dont make one of those i wll if your happy and you know it crop my pic if your happy and you know it than your face will really show it CROP MY PIC

Thanks
    crop it' crop it goooood' dudut dudut' due' crop that pic'

Thanks
    hope yall an't gunna get mad at me for post'n so much wow the skat man just came on epod i forgot how much this song rocks

Thanks
    im gunna make this rock or im gunna use proper english

Thanks
    You post more images and drawings and stuff than anyone else I think. I love that, when I finally get my tablet I hope to fill the critique forum as much as you do.

Also I think either the 2nd to last composition you posted, or the first one with structures and stuff are the best. The image reminds me of one of the scenes in fantasia, which can only be a good thing because that film is sick. Also, he has a very Donnie Darko rabbit -esq head

26. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,742 Times in 4,645 Posts

Thanks
    the figures are a little centered again. His vertical obstruction to the horizontal flow of the composition and the fact that he's looking to our right means that there's little reason to look behind him. I know that sounds like a a crock of shit, so my bad, but I felt I could sound smart wording things like that.

To solve this (what I see as a problem) I would simply... move him to our right. This was suggested earlier, you did it, then revamped your composition and probably forgot about it.

Why did you lose the green glowing skull thing?

Nice painting. Keep going.
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks danlambert thats gunna ROCK when yall get a tablet thanks MarthaT newbies ROCK thanks Black Spot you ROCK i alwayz seem to go w/ blu &red i through some mo n the mix hopefully naxt time i start w/ differant colors thanks Quigleyer you sound smart to me an yall got madd skill / (green watchamajig) i didnt think it was going to read very well so im kinda play'n w' it o yeah and you ROCK!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    I'm not quite sure what exactly you mean, but thanks! Have you ever considered (or done, I guess) just a bunch of thumbnails to help you nail your composition better? I've seen another couple of threads you started before and it seems like you spend a good deal of the time playing with the composition- which is awesome. I'm just thinking you could get a lot more output for a lot less work if you just did small little thumbnails (as many as you like, and you can even post those for help on which ones are better). It'd get a lot of your work done faster and concrete your composition so you can better focus on painting.

Just a little food for thought. We all work differently.

Oh yeah. and you ROCK.
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Get that woman off her knees and put a man down there hahahahahahaah
    "Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    thanks Quigleyer i dont usually make sense but i try thats a great idea an if yall know where any links are where i can learn more about it id be greatful

Thanks
    Razorleaf you ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Ya, I know hahahah

Thanks
    what ya think about two ladies

Thanks
    It works well either way, can't decide which one I like better.
    She has got some pretty manly looking shoulders going on at the moment though, and no boobs!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast