my art portfolio
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my art portfolio

hello everyone , im 22 and have been drawing for years..i used to dream of making it into my career but those dreams have been shattered quite a few times... after highschool i didn't do much.. got a crappy job. I'm now 22 and feel im at a turning point of .. i better do something with myself before im stuck in this crappy life for good. i took a life drawing class about 6 months+ ago .. where all of my life drawing work has come from.. before that ive only learned from what i've taught myself.. anyways the point of this post is to show u all the best pieces i could gather up from all my art..

heres the link to my stuff: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34090743@N05/

UPDATE:reuploaded it to CA -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=146458

what i want from you guys.. is opinions on my art .. what i could and couldn't use for a portfolio..just any l help or advice...

some of that art is life drawing some is copied from photos .. doodled or copied from artists off this website..one coming from the massive black shanghai artist portraits.. that i wouldn't use but i scanned it for the hell of it..

so. what i plan on doing is making a portfolio. sending it to bunch of colleges to see if they accept me..my dream school being the conceptart.org Atelier. i have no idea how im going to go about doing all this but one step at a time.. make the portfolio.

as for money / costs of school... i'm pretty broke, i don't come from a rich family so id mostly be on my own paying for this.. i still live at home near Berkeley CA.. i figure id have to take out student loans.. something of which i know nothing about ...but id be happy to, to turn my life around

edit: ah yea.. i also plan on finishing some digital art to add to the portfolio as i do have a wacom, ill update this when i make something worthy.. also heres a little sketch video i made a while ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMBkozWr4Xs
    thanks all

Last edited by Demurgatroid; January 7th, 2009 at 05:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's better if you post your stuff here as it'll be easier for us to post crits and stuff....plus it's automatically copyrighted once it's on CA so major pluses.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A sketchbook here on CA would also help you a bunch, you can post sketches, life drawings, Works in progress, etc etc and get critique so you can improve!
    Whether you make one or not, I encourage you to just keep drawing.
    You've got a very promising portfolio. If you keep the hard work up I'll guarantee you'll achieve your dream one day.
    and don't forget to have fun while you're at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=14645

i uploaded all my stuff to the sketchbook, hopefully i can get some feedback.. although its already been bumped to the 3rd page. -_- .. lil help from someone with art school portfolio knowledge?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoops.. pressed it twice... i dont know how to delete this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well posted this last night.. made the sketchbok later on in the night.. today nothing and my sketchbook is now on page 4 with no replys.. this as well no replys.. can somone give me some sort of advice on portfolios .. someones gota know something about them!... is any of this portfolio material!?.. ANY response is much appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, my advice to you is to draw from life constantly, The types of colleges you are trying to go to are looking for strong life studies. When you draw, pay attention to the mass of whatever you are drawing, dont just copy the contour, get inside the thing and figure out how to represent it in space. Read the shit out of any book or tutorial or demo or anything you can find. Draw constantly. You want to have some fully rendered still lifes, some strong figure stuff, maybe some color works, and a few works from imagination. I'm actually in the same boat as you because this is my last semester and now I'm trying to get a decent scholarship to get into some art college. try different mediums, it will take some getting used to but it is worth it. Try using charcoal for figure studies. Look up where there is a figure drawing session in your area, just google it or something and usually you may be able to find one. Or ask your old proffessor they might know, or anyone you think might know... Visit some museums in your area and see if you can do some drawings of statues they might have. Go to your local park and spend the whole day drawing a tree, at the end of the day it should be fully shaded and everything, then go the next day and do the same damn thing lmao...anyways man im starting to ramble but basically the trick to the portfolio thing is to have patience and draw constantly and work hard as hell on any piece you want to put in your portfolio, I'm talkin at least 10 hours on one drawing. In my sketchbook the second drawing took me 12 hours and everything else took waaaay less time, the most being 3 hours, so everything else I pretty much rushed because of lack of time, and I know I would be much better off if I just took the time to work as hard as I did on the second one on all of them....Also, scan this site for tutorials and helpful things, this place is a treasure chest. If you don't know how to do something, research the shit out of it until you know how to do it. Anyways, good luck to you man, keep it up, 22 is still young as hell, you have plenty of time, but don't try to rush things, art doesn't work that way...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hemP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the real question i want answered here is.. would it or would it not be wise to use ANY of this stuff i have rightnow in a Portfolio. .. so far all ive gotten is tips to draw draw draw.. i mean sure i'm doing that but u go to school to Learn to get better.. not become pro on ur own and Then go to school,.. the reason i ask is because this is all the life drawing i have if its not a quality schools are looking for that means i wouldnt have anything reallly to use in a portfolio to get into a school which means id have to take another class or something to get more work that might possibly be better.. so really an opinion of yes i think so and so drawing is good but the rest suck. or no i dont think its the quality colleges are looking for work harder type of thing

well thanks anyways for whoever looks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps check and compare your work to some of the work in here.

Other than that I would say if you do one thing, and one thing only: do everything you can to get into life drawing sessions. They teach so much about drawing in general - all that figure drawing milage really pays off when you're doing still lifes or imaginary sketches or whatever.

This will prepare you for if you go into school or decide to learn by yourself or end up finding out it is not for you.

Good luck/have fun...

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.