IDW #89: Steampunk Arctic Explorer

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #89: Steampunk Arctic Explorer

Topic: Steampunk Arctic Explorer

Background: I've been wanting to try a Steampunk topic for IDW for a while, and since it's the middle of the winter and all I guess this is a fitting topic. The topic is pretty straightforward so I won't go into too much detail here (one note: since this is IDW, 'explorer' means we're talking about a vehicle here, not a character or something )

Just a slight note: although I know it's fun to just add cogs and gears and some pistons to an object with wheels, it might pay off to see if you can make the vehicle a bit more convincing than that. Also keep in mind the barren and hostile environment the vehicle has to be able to go through.

Brief:
    1. Design and draw a Steampunk Arctic Explorer!
    2. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Saturday, January 17

Name:  IDW logo3 smallest.JPG
Views: 2340
Size:  7.9 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've said it before, but those times were all lies

i am totally in this one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first WIP
    just an idea, dunno if this is gonna be the final design, may experiment with some walking types first.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wip 1

cool stuff jagmed

7. The Following User Says Thank You to red_herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't want to go into ALL the detail here... i was going to go with a more realistic design - one that harvested wales with a huge harpoon gun and processed them internally into fuel to be burned... but i opted to go with the more fantastic "giant walking/floating boat with part steam + windmill power!" direction...

hopefully i can pull it off!

The_Macedonian make sure to take into account travel though snow, not just ice... even with ice those spikes might be too large + not all of the arctic is ice and snow (just most of it)
    also, elaborate on that drill. make it a central theme for the existence of the vehicle.

otherwise - nice seeing stuff already!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A design strongly influenced by naval design, as it seemed most appropriate for the harsh terrain and weather. Tracks seemed to be the best way to go given the massive vehicle weight and the low ground pressure and traction issues.

A land battleship converted for peaceful use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Idw #89

I've been bored today an whipped up an idea. Not sure if i will get to continue working on it tomorrow, but I have never done anything steampunk before, so I was curious how close to the mark i am.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing I'm curious about seeing people tackle is the whole issue of mechanical parts icing up and failing, which would seem to be a particular design problem for steampunk-type devices. Think about the technical problems the Germans ran into in the Russian winter. Tracks and treads for snow should be extremely wide to spread the weight, boilers would be heavily insulated and probably be very fuel-hungry, and any exposed works would probably seize up under the ice.

My SketchbookScribbles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Janto View Post
    One thing I'm curious about seeing people tackle is the whole issue of mechanical parts icing up and failing, which would seem to be a particular design problem for steampunk-type devices. Think about the technical problems the Germans ran into in the Russian winter. Tracks and treads for snow should be extremely wide to spread the weight, boilers would be heavily insulated and probably be very fuel-hungry, and any exposed works would probably seize up under the ice.
    very valid points! although i did consider a design that created a somewhat fesable fuel-gathering ability, i decided to abandon such logic because for the most part, steampunk does not often follow strict laws of fuel consumption. more often than not it seems that these things have infinite fuel to them and for the sake of the design i abandoned that. however, in regards to ice, i have included fabric covers over important joints, as well as a network of pipes to distribute heat, not only among the important structures, but for the crew as well.

since this topic has such an environmental parameter, it will be interesting to see what others come up with!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking I might try doing one of these.
    Please forgive what might be a real noob question, but do the scant parameters mean I can decide on its purpose for myself? I mean, exploration, of course, but its goals in exploration - scientific, economic, military, etc.?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been sketching on an air ship, with steam engines, propellers and an old-fashioned bicycle... but dang! it's not easy. I feel like I need to be an engineer. lol. Kudo's to all of you for your ideas and skills here.

I love the idea of steam punk, and it's been used in various forms in movies. Which I also loved. Great topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Korwinkerdink: That's totally up to you. I left it out of the topic so you could make up your own story about it

I'll put up the finals thread shortly, but I'm totally bogged down in a project for the moment. Deadlines are awesome..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wips of my explorer. Skis and Giant wheel for thick ice and more or less flat snow. Articulated legs for difficult terrain. Standar steam engines and simple hidraulics. Vectors on articulated legs still for proportion and position purpose (flatening false perspective). As always, sorry for my English.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Steampunk Arctic Explorer

I like the idea of basing steampunk in the historical limitations of the technology of the day. The end result should be recognizable from the turn of the century and still something never seen before.
    Here the truck can traverse an icy plane if fitted with "wheel skis" and hub extensions(these were really used). The robot/walker is built to kneel in the bed of the truck until inaccessable terrain warrants it's use.
    A powerstart from a trailered generator, a few loosed "tie down cables", and one last surveyance(and peek at the map by the financier) and the exploration continues. Robot/walker complete with bell jar observation cockpit, archimedes screw arms, hand to hand motor control, exposed gear systems for maintenance accessability. (The rest of the small convoy, including crew carriers and the posh land yacht for the monopoly guy, not shown).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Broken Toys: I have the impression that there's supposed to be an image attached to your post, but I don't see it...

Everyone, there's still about 24 hours to go on this round, possibly a bit more. Make sure you've posted your finals in the finals thread before I close it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm about to close the finals thread. If you're still working on something, post it within the next hour or be too late...

Edit: Round is closed now, poll will be up in a minute

Poll is up: IDW #89: Steampunk Arctic Explorer - Voting

Last edited by yoitisi; January 18th, 2009 at 09:28 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 1