Sketchbook: Journey into greatness - 11/23/04 - let the studies commence. - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff obid

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crap dude youre getting good...keep up the sketches....im getting worried that later on, youll be one of the people that will take my jobs...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can already see improvements from the first posts of this thread. Way to go. .

Will appreciate critique anywhere, anytime .
    My Ramblings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sperm: thanks man! :chug:

Insane (or Rich): I dunno...I still gots long way to go.

Oddo: Thanks a lot. I know that I have improved a lot. I must overcome the plateaus of art so I can become a good artist.

Heres somthing i did today.

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you always have to start somewhere and if progress is detected from your work then I think the path you are taking is the right one...

Last edited by insane visions; April 20th, 2004 at 03:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK. here's my proposition: I don't wanna post anymore until I get to a decent level where I see that I am improving. Who know's how long it will take. But I can bet that there will be mad updates when I feel that I have 'leveled up' as an artist. As for my challenge thread, I feel like a douche bad sorry lol. I'll keep critiquing though. good night

11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    obid, part of the leveling up process is getting good feedback though. don't worry about posting things u don't think is good, because if you do, you won't get the feedback you need. besides, i see a lot of "leveling up" already ;]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by obid619
    OK. here's my proposition: I don't wanna post anymore until I get to a decent level where I see that I am improving. Who know's how long it will take. But I can bet that there will be mad updates when I feel that I have 'leveled up' as an artist. As for my challenge thread, I feel like a douche bad sorry lol. I'll keep critiquing though. good night
    now you know why i don't post more often.

most of the time it's hard to notice the improvement and there's always something that needs to be worked on. some people keep their old sketchbooks to remind themselves of the progress (i keep them too, that helped a lot through the hard times). i respect your decision and honestly think that if more people thought like this, we'd get a lot less junk around (not calling out anyone, some of my own stuff is in this category too- it's that stuff that's in no-man's land- it doesn't do anything for the artist or the viewer).

gnothi seauton, bud

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

scanner not working :|

cant update my sketches cuz of my scanner. I'm happy to say i've improved plenty (in my eyes anyway.)

sperm - I'll update a lil more when i get my scanner fixed

Lung - Thanks. I know that even if you or anyone doesn't update often we are still working on progress. I'm trying to get at least an hour a day of drawing

So....my scanner is jacked up. I did some PS stuff instead. OK it sucks (this is absolutely my first time TRYING to paint in PS). I'm not lying this is the First time. . can anyone try giving me tips on how to start painting in PS?! please thank you! :p

' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello people. havent posted some sketches in a while so...

I used PS to up the contrast cuz i usually draw really light...
    Class doodle...

Still aint finished with this one. Its the start of my first real serious sketchbook

I think I improved somewhat.
    SUMMER TIME *ALMOST = MORE DRAWING TIME

i'm trying to use ps but its hard for me to use it...(doenst make sense...) can some1 give me some tips.

' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think in the tips & tricks forum there may be some PS tutorials. Also polykarbon.com has a tutorial section with some PS tips, and I'm sure there are many others.

I like the guys on the right in the last pic, interesting expressions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that last post was my favorite. it kinda has a surrealist feel to the scene. It's good to see the enviroment being thought of, and you are definately improving alot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks seraph and jackal! I hope to use PS more often in the future. I'm just taking small little steps day by day

here's one i did a while ago. I dunno if i wanna continue on it...

' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rich - thanks bud

here is another piece that is obviously unfinished so the hands are all wrong. I thought the upper body looked a little too big. What do you think guys? Sorry I dont got no finished pieces yet. I want to work a lot on them so I can get them really good quality

' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey obid, haven't posted here in a while. i can certinally see a solid improvement. what you're doing is really good, trying to finish pieces to the best quality you can. this way you learn so much more than a quick sketch. having siad that, quick sketches also teach you alot. nice work obid, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    swift - shtanks. I decided to work hard on a single piece, instead of random doodles. Its kinda hard for me because its hard for me to pay attention to only one piece, but hey I gotta do something to get better as an artist. Maybe hopefully I can turn out to be a really great artist. But I guess I still have time

Here is that finished piece of my cover. I thought it was cool, but I really would like to know what you guys think of it and how I can improve on it. Be harsh even.

' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sup

portrait of my bro

random stuff

inspired by unreal 2k4

art assignment - my open closet

critiques, as always, are welcome !

' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    obid - you've got a wild imagination man, the one with the tree is nicely developed. I think every person on this board wrestles with the progress their making and the level their at (this worry pops into my head several times daily.) Something like learning to draw is a slow process, the noticable signs of progress only pop up everynow and then with lots of jaw clenching, sweat and fury interspersed between. But when you see it it's worth it. My fig. drawing teacher said everyone has an alotted number of bad drawings they have to make before it starts working. This is absolutley true and applies to everyone. (im not ragging on your work, just making a point)

just keep drawing man. iss-all good.
    -:cyclops:

-besides, you can't be a pimpin' artist without making art

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks alot steak. Your one of my biggest influences bro. I'm trying to create a style. But I believe that I have to learn the basics before I start on style. hehe. Any way progress is so damn slow its frustrating at times. But, hell, you gotta put up with it. Thats what i'm trying to do. I'm going to do some skeleton drawings soon. Then i'll do muscles, then on, and on. Trying to do a little day by day. Thanks

..AND WHATS THIS. 2 drawings in the same day?! WOW. hehe. another art assignment-hand holding object. I thought it was good for like a 30 minute sketch

18th FRIGGIN B-DAY TODAY WOOT:chug:

btw: can someone please tell me how to make an avatar thx

Last edited by obid619; May 25th, 2004 at 12:10 AM.
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking great, obid.

As for the piece that you wanted 'harsh' criticism and suggestions: I think it looks great, but it could use some darker darks. Things are just not popping out the way they could.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VAN- what are darks?! lol. Yea i know what you mean. The problem is begginnning to irritate me. i'll try to improve on it thanks bud.

some mo stufz

' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by obid619
    VAN- what are darks?! lol. Yea i know what you mean. The problem is begginnning to irritate me. i'll try to improve on it thanks bud.
    Press down on your pencil...REALLY HARD!

Hehe. Oh man, you had to ask.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just looked through you're images, very nice development it's sooooo exciting to see that!!! Greatest feeling when things start to move forward and you're getting it ( have it). Humor filled drawings, don't loose the imagination. You're starting early, keep the patience and open mind, as all have said!!!!

"c'mon i know you've got it, toss the box"

sketchbook

http://altpick.com/members.php?id=17236

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Obid, you're really improving. What steak said is completely true, and I as well worry every day about where I stand. I love your drawing with the tree. You're doing good. Keep it up man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I appreciated what you had to say about not wanting to post until you had a certain level of satisfaction w/ your work. That's a big reason why I don't have stuff posted, but I think I'll start once I get my scanner back. I was gonna tell you my 2 favorite pieces, then I realized that they're the same one: the finished cover (and the unfinished, work-in-progress pic of it). I can't tell if it's smudges or just a bad scan, but something's hurting the finished one. I actually like the work-in-progress pic better because there's more contrast (it's also a better scan, so that might be part of it). But like van said, I think it could use darker darks and lighter lights. more contrast in other words. but I'm telling you, the wip version is quite cool!
    as far as an avatar image goes, it should be similar to posting images, just type the url in the appropriate place in the User CP. But maybe I should get an avatar image first and make sure I know what I'm talking about. Keep at it, bud. drawing that is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW dude you seriously have improved, just keep it up man, god that ut 2k4 character is freakishly awesome im blwon away. Yea dude awesome work keep it up man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey obid! your new stuff is great, really good to see how much you've improved over such a short space in time!
    i like the shades on the hand+can one! only crit would be that the can seems a little of scew.

nice work! keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello me again. Thanks for all your encouragment

van- I don't know why I cant get very good blacks. Must be my scanner or something. Maybe i'll try to buy 6B pencils or pen my stuff to make it darker thanks

lupicani - yes. I'm taking more time. I've gotta do more anatomy so I got a lot to learn. Its frustrating, but I can definetely see lots of improvement from my past sketchbooks, so i'm kinda happy

dacoscwash - I know. he's right though. I think i'm gonna make like a million bad drawings before I make my first good drawing. Yes...i'm waiting for that good time to come (if it ever does :eek:

elboy - DUDE thanks for telling me about the avatar. As you can see i'm now sporting a da vinci avatar (i thought it was a cool one anyway). Its wierd how the finished piece didn't come out as good. I sware I think it might be because of my scanner. But I might need to work on my darks so...i'll improve on future things like that.

famboozled - thanks a lot man. You keep posting as well, cuz I know you got lots of cool stuff. It seems all my drawings are blurry cuz that unreal drawing looks a lot better on paper.

swift - thanks. Yea that coke can did look kinda wierd lol. I was pressing hard against it so I tried to make a dent feel. But I think it came out way too skewed because of the way I put it in my scanner :/ oh well dumb me.

here is a another self portrait. I didn't spend that much time, because I was trying to identify where all light sources were, so I wasnt much focused on proportion. Yes, I have a wierd head, what can I say. I still love me though hah .
    Yes, the right eye is wierd

' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

yeah

nice, you should try using line qaulity to show where the shadows are and such. Meaning thickness of line,no actual shading, helped me out tons. I get distracted and overwelmed as well when it comes to all there is to record. ALL IN ALL NICE TO SEE SOME NEW STUFF "HOMMIE." When you feel the need you should check out some books on charascuro." The art of value and color" ( funny professional voice)

"c'mon i know you've got it, toss the box"

sketchbook

http://altpick.com/members.php?id=17236

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.