Sketchbook: Janos - Page 22
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Janos

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One more and good night. I am enjoying doing these so much, but I know that they are far from perfect. Any suggestions? I use only Photoshop and a very old Wacom Tablett (ET-0405-R). Any programms you suggest to improve my computer skills? Or any hardware?
    I am probably going to go over all of the characters I have done, once most of tehm are ready... and thats going to take sometime. The important thing is to get the basics (lighting, proportions) right, so that I can move on to details later on.

Cheers guys, and good night!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice characters mate.I think they need more contrast(better manual) and graduations from each boundary of some regions so that they can depict better the 3d shape.
    Keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I think your proportions are looking good. The light source is a little confusing in some of them, but that may be due to you using diffuse lighting? And I know I keep saying this, but make sure to use more than just yellows and browns in the gold, and more than oranges and reds in the skin, etc.! Keep mixing up the colors, and I think everything will feel less pasted on and more natural.

As for songs... We Both Go Down Together, by The Decemberists comes to mind.

--
    Paper Nautilus
    Sketchblog
    CA Sketchbook
    Twitter
    DeviantArt page

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.
    -Mary Hollinshead

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think kingkostas is touching on the main thing I'm noticing right now. It seems that at the moment, you're stuck in a realm of midtones. Actual shadows or noticable highlights being few and far inbetween. In addition, shadows often seem to be simply a slightly darker whatever color the surface is. And while it will depict "shadow", it won't necessarily depict "BAM - REAL!"

I would recommend, for a lot of these, taking your darkest shadow for a large item of clothing, for example...some pants, or a skintone. And darken it by perhaps 50%, and then paint in darker shadows. As has been mentioned, the lighting scheme presently can be a little bit confusing - and if nothing else, forcing more noticeable shadows will force you to really understand your light sources.

You might also try working on little bit darker, or different color background. Even just a darker shade of gray might help illustrate the point of things being stuck very often in "midtone" without very identifiable lighting and such. Worth a shot, since it only takes...2 seconds?

Regardless... it is good to see such a large quantity of work in such a short amount of time. Most sketchbooks don't get to this many pages in two or three years, let alone one.

I would encourage you now, to take the opportunity to step out of any comfort zones you may have, and dive into some of the things you are least comfortable with. You seem to have a ton of ideas, and you seem to like getting those ideas out on paper and finished. ...in this instance, it may be that stepping out of your comfort zone involves starting many a painting, that through crazy daring lighting schemes and new techniques, never wind up looking even so much as presentable in your mind. That would not be fun at all - but, I feel that you may see an incredible amount of improvement as a result.

Many cheers to you, and your determination.

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cacodaemonia, KingCostas Thank you guys, you are the best!

Two Listen Hi there, thanks for the great reply. I can see what you mean. I myself actually know that different hues (warm/cold shadows) are important to depict realism, its just that when I do my own stuff, especially this one for the book, I tend to forget everything I myself comment and critique on other people. Also, Due to the characters not having an environment I kind of do not know what colour to let them be influenced by... You know what mean?
    I think I am going to try and make some changes from now on on the character concepts, and I will try to do some more finished paintings, with background etc.

I also agree that I tend to finish stuff up... Its hard top get out of that spiral, but to be honest, there is a lot of crap I do not show you!

So tomorrow is the MUSIC|ART day and I have chosen a song....dam dam dam. You'll see which one it is tomorrow.

Last edited by Janos; December 3rd, 2009 at 05:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    I also agree that I tend to finish stuff up... Its hard to get out of that spiral, but to be honest, there is a lot of crap I do not show you!

I understand, definitely. That was something I only managed to get over for the most part within this past year or two. Used to only put up my "good" and presentable, and it took a lot for me to post up my crappy attempts.

I've started adding just simple background color and environments to my stuff, just because it does seem to help a lot with getting my color and lighting. Been whipping up a lot of custom brushes just for some atmosphere, smoke, whatever, to help out a bit with that.

And, like you, most of these comments and critiques are things I myself need to work on a lot, or have had to work on a lot in recent months. I mean it's not that I don't know anatomy, I can visualize, name, and in painting depict all sorts of anatomy if I put the effort into it - but lately I've been trying to simply to LINES, and I'm finding it a miserable failure. And it's weird because I used to hug my pencil tight as hell whenever anyone mentioned painting. And now, I seemingly have lost my ability with a pencil almost entirely beyond the basics. ...incredibly depressing.

Keep going though. If you ever want some more thorough critiques or something specific just shoot me a PM. Paintovers, opinions, whatever it may be.

Keep up the good work, cheers for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man thanks for your advice.

I like your sketches more than your digitals...
    not that your digitals are bad, no no I just think they are more finished and less flat.
    I say this because your lastest digitals seems more or less flat along the edges.

nice sketchbook tho keep it up.

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i personally really like your digital pieces.
    In your most recent sketch, could her right eye (on our left) be slightly too big, putting the perspective slightly off?
    really nice stuff : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two Listen Hey, thanks so much for the advice. I am definitely going to get back to you! I am glad that you got over that maybe I'll manage as well.

Incinerated Good tip with the edges, I am going to try and sort that out.

Raffix Yeah, you are right, it does look quite big. Thanks for that, and for you liking my digitals!

Here some fast colour studies of a model from nude classes. I hope you like them. My Prof actually liked the last one the best, I did that one in 5 minutes, he said the easiness and few strokes made it good and that I should do 20 of those for my portfolio. I disagree but I think they are going to be a valuable addition!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you think of the digital character illus now? Better?

ART | MUSIC JANOS with LADY GAGA | Monster

Last edited by Janos; December 4th, 2009 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Janos! Long time no see, I really like where you are going with your traditional studies! Although you kind of seem to abandon your stylistic drawings, which is fine, since it's ultimately your path, but still I liked them the most in your work, also because they were the most positive.

That said you managed to transport your proficiency with lines to your more concept-art-like work, which make your scetches a delight to look at.

Only when it comes to putting colors on those lines you think in the same categories as when you draw the lines, you think about the shapes you fill in but not about the relationships between all the splotches you make. The same with the last digitals, they all look to me like coloured line-drawings you see in some modern comicbooks where the artists didnt go through formal training. I urge you to paint! make stilllifes and dont use lines to block in what you see.

Other than that, I really like your art and the thoughtfulness and the soul it encompasses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey ho
    artNmusic: Lady gaga has a cool mind. I'm not feeling the drawing in this song
    But the drawing alone is nice. watercolor sketch? somthing is lacking (I hope later on I'll be
    able to put my hand on it)
    song: Ruby- Kaiser Chiefs, and manys of blackalicious.
    (No songs on this computer though)

love your undertakes and hope to see more soon (Hoping I'll get my normal comp)

I promise to draw every day, and try to post everyday!(Changed)
    Being inspired by some of you guys,
    and thus decided to pick up my pencil everyday!

I'll post any junk I make, in hopes of getting much
    constructive criticism and LEARN! (:

Sketchbook!

Old Sketchbook Full of fear, I believe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    What do you think of the digital character illus now? Better?
    Ah-ha! I do indeed think that is a big improvement. I think all of them really *pop* a lot better now than they did previously - and that is just simple editing when all is said and done, just imagine if they had been painted from the beginning with such a mindset, hmm?

That was really neat to see. Thanks for making the attempt and putting that up. I do think it helped quite a bit. And the background need not always be gray, white *can* work, just fine. I only suggested a darker, perhaps gray, because it makes the process of the lighting a little bit easier for me and I thought it might help you a bit with the presentation.

Cheers as always Janos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1257761597
    I feel bad for the hard working miner

Your set of character designs are consistent and look like they fit together.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,
    I have a question to you guys. I am about to get a new Tablett. Nothing too fancy, just an upgrade to my anciant wacom. I was thinking about the bamboo fun A6. Is it any good? Any other tips?

More updates tonight and thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have the bamboo fun A5, it's alright, although the lines are pretty shaky. Could be my Linux-drivers and twinview-setup though.

What's wrong with your current version? I dont think its smaller than A6 so I'd suggest saving for a bigger tablet, since A6 is REALLY small.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What Faust said, it might be worth saving up for longer and buying a bigger tablet, ideally one that is close to your screen size. I can't go back to a tablet that is a fraction of my screen, just feels cramped... You're doing great with the tablet you have anyway, so if you're gonna upgrade, it might as well be a noticeably different from the last... unless your old one is dieing on you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chompo Hey there. I like some Gaga songs, just because they are fun, claw themselves to your ears and have great hooks. And she is entertaining, which is basically her good right as a pop performer. Thank god there isn't only serious music in the world! Thanks for the music suggestion as well!

Two Listen I'm glad you commented, twas a great help. I am actually changing the characters I did to another background and fix some problems I realised now, but they are all going to have the choice to be on white background. The wonders of Photoshop!

Pigeonkill Hey thanks, they are meant to look consistant, so thats good that they do look like a set.

~Faust~ Wow, thanks. I'm glad you see more than just simple drawings in my stuff. And do not think that I have forgotten about my Little Men Posters... now isn't the right time though. Portfolio material needs to be made!

Man Made God Hey there, thanks for the advice. My old Wacom started working again, so I'll just keep it I guess. But now I must find something I want for christmas... any tips?

Stuff for you from me. I am planning on doing a selfportrait a day from now on.... FOREVER! muahahaha Lets see how that works out.
    My nearly finished skull painting. The hair stage was just a joke I did. The second version is close to the finished version.
    And another digital, which I really like how it's coming. Thanks again to you guys. You were and are a great help!

Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good portrait! Great structure, very solid. But I think a bit too much structure, since I wouldn't recognize you with that, it's so idealized already. I urge you to find something personal to express, you got the knowledge neccessary already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~Faust~ Hey thanks. I will try and do some different methods then. Come back to see them! =D

In class we had stark lighting today, and it was a lot of fun to paint the models. I think I should take some more time to get proportions and anatomy right, but I enjoyed it anyways and I think some of these are actually okay.
    I'm one portrait behind schedule, but I'll post more tomorrow so no wahala.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh janos u've been quite busy, been a while since i stopped by great studies and character designs! I think some of your digital work could use that really great color variation u get with ur traditional paints to give it some more subtle shifts in color so it doesn't look too digital, other than that i think your sketches are looking kickass cool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some pages from my sketchbook. These are my selfportraits for the last few days but NOT my Music|Art... that'll come later!

The lyrics are from Florence and the Machines - Rabbit Heart. Nice interpretation of the song also by the sugababes on Liove Lounge.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool self portraits, even the last one it is obvious it's all the same one.
    Or that is just the faith of an artist

Cheers

I promise to draw every day, and try to post everyday!(Changed)
    Being inspired by some of you guys,
    and thus decided to pick up my pencil everyday!

I'll post any junk I make, in hopes of getting much
    constructive criticism and LEARN! (:

Sketchbook!

Old Sketchbook Full of fear, I believe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chompo Hey there, sry my Music|Art stuff is a little late. Thanks for the comment! =D

ART | MUSIC JANOS with La Roux | Tigerlily

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    o man your improving like a wild fire dude
    keep it up your latest update is my favorite very expressive
    have a good one keep it up
    -Jamie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Omerta Thanks! I am happy you liked it, it is a rather fast one though, bnut I also feel like I might be onto something with these fast sketches. They really do make it possible to filter ideas and pick those out you want to invest more time into.

Here some concepts for a scene. I realised when doing my character concepts that placing a character into a scene is also very important and you can learn alot more about lighting etc.
    So here is my question: How do you guys like the composition? Anatomy? Values? Colours?
    Direct replies and criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, Janos! Great to see such a string of inspiring updates. This one is gorgeous! I love how you're attacking the planes of the face and exploring a variety of media. In the latest image, it's a bit hard to say at this stage but the guy on our left looks fine (if a little stiff) anatomy-wise. The woman with her back to us has a very small lower back/pelvis and her thighs look a bit too long. Compositionally, the dark line cutting through the middle of the image stops my eye from continuing to the left. Perhaps bringing down the value levels so that they're more in the mid-range of the female would open the image up more and give a better sense of depth?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    AWESOME COLORS AN WICKED STUDIES ssSOOOO MUCH TO ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    courtyard Thanks. Also thanks for teh advice, I changed that bit up a ölittle in my new update.... any better?

Grandmassa Mr. Spect Thank you!

Work on the newest C.O.W. I'll try to do more of these, just to keep me going,

and a self portrait with Gaga Glasses,

and some work on the cave scene.

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the rendering is becoming solid and that gives nice volume to the characters.Very nice improvement mate.
    Keep working them

Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7