Sketchbook: makArt needs help in digital painting! (UPDATED TODAY!)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

makArt needs help in digital painting! (UPDATED TODAY!)

Hey you guys!
    Iīm Matthias from Vienna, Austria, a 19-year-old art-lover.
    Iīve been quite desperate lately, for I havenīt been able to draw in a while..(school, band, you know, all that stuff..)
    So, inspired by Algenpfleger I decided to open a sketchbook, in order to beg you guys to get my digital painting skills going.
    I hope you will!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by makArtscorner; March 25th, 2009 at 12:25 AM.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift - thatīs why itīs called present.

my Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=146322
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you guys!
    Finally Iīve worked up all my courage and started my own sketchbook here.
    Iīm kind of forced to, since I donīt bear it anymore to be lousy at painting digitally.
    Drawing (meaning lineart) works quite well, but Iīve got huge problems in color choice, understanding how to paint in gerenal with digital medias and all the technical stuff of photoshop - though Iīve got an Intuos 3 A5. :/
    Soooo...Iīve begun to paint a bit today, starting in greyscale, to not overstrain myself.

This is a sketch I did a while ago, different steps, different designs.
    I choose something inbetween two and three in the end.
    Name:  selection_smaller.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  239.9 KB

And..this was a try to start painting it, but after some time I gave up...I suck, see?!
    Name:  Homepage_girl_conceptartjpg.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  116.3 KB
    Iīd like to set a strong lightsource from the left, so that the skin even shines there a bit, using a dark bg. Then there would flow a big brush stroke from the top of the image to the left, floating through her left hand......any help? T_T

So as I already told, I began painting in greyscale today.
    First try: an eye, to start small.. 2 images to show how I tried to add texture
    Name:  augerl_schritt1.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  141.8 KB
    Name:  augerl_schritt2.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  182.4 KB

Second one!
    I did a little sketch, very quick, emphasizing light source etc.
    I realized that itīve been better to add a bg first, no?^^"
    Use a ref this time, but as you can see I changed some parts - tried to make her more pretty xD ...and to have a bit different pose.
    Name:  lichtquelle_klein.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  132.1 KB

Well then!
    Iīd appreciate a lot if you guys helped me!
    Cheers

PS: could anyone explain to me how to insert the attached images the right way? I donīt get it..

Last edited by makArtscorner; January 5th, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery

my Sketchbook:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't suck. That's a little harsh. I suck. Haha.

I'm learning digital as well but I'm a tad behind you. Draw and post everyday, you're bound to get someone knowledgeable in here. I, unfortunately, can offer no critiques.

The first step - especially for young people with energy and drive and talent, but not money - the first step to controlling your world is to control your culture. To model and demonstrate the kind of world you demand to live in. To write the books. Make the music. Shoot the films. Paint the art.
    -Chuck Palahniuk

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by IMBass View Post
    You don't suck. That's a little harsh. I suck. Haha.

I'm learning digital as well but I'm a tad behind you. Draw and post everyday, you're bound to get someone knowledgeable in here. I, unfortunately, can offer no critiques.
    Thanks a lot!
    I wouldnīt have expected any reply at all haha!xD

Naah...donīt think so, I guess youīll have to do the same as me, no?
    ...and thanks a ton for the compliment.

Last edited by makArtscorner; January 6th, 2009 at 12:28 AM.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery

my Sketchbook:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by at my SB! nice start here! id say that in the second one, the womans head is a tad too small and as for the last one, i think her nose and mouth are a bit too pushed outwards, keep it going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're way too hard on yourself! The eye looks very nice, and coloring attempt wasn't so bad. Photoshop, in comparison to real paint, does lay down color in a very unnatural way if you're used to the way paint naturally blends together.

Learn to utilize layers. This lets you paint in a backdrop whenever you want, and lets you work different ideas "over" your main design (and if you don't like the idea you can just delete the layer!)

To insert images into your thread, hit the "go advanced" > "manage attachments" = select your file, input the info, and hit "upload"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aphotic Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Noodle: youīre welcome! oh, now that you said it, I realized it myself as well...thanks!
    What do you mean with "too pushed outwards"? btw, where from finland are you exactly, if I might ask?
    Aphotic Phopenix: thanks a lot for your tips, iīll have a try there!
    Unfortunately I often get confused with the layers and then it happens that I paint in th wrong layer..not on purpose! <_<" (at least that happened while trying to paint the coloured girl)

Does anyone of you can tell me how to "colorize" a greyscale painted picture?
    Iīll try to paint the girl with the funny outfit in greyscale tomorrow..
    Cheers!

Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery

my Sketchbook:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually think these are awesome...If you understand values and proportions and all that basic stuff (which you obviously do) all that remains is to practice applying that knowledge digitally. Just keep painting!

Sometimes naming layers helps if you're getting confused... As for the colourising, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Painting colours on a separate layer set to 'Multiply' or 'Overlay' works all right-ish in most programs, and there is usually a colourise function in art programs, it is just a matter of finding it.

What program are you using? I am assuing it's Photoshop, since that is the most popular program here... not one I use, though.

I look forward to seeing more from you, anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by makArtscorner View Post
    Unfortunately I often get confused with the layers and then it happens that I paint in th wrong layer..not on purpose! <_<" (at least that happened while trying to paint the coloured girl)
    As azekariel suggested, naming your layers helps a lot! I used to get confused a lot, and still forget to use helpful things like layer masks even though I know how to use them. What helps a lot is simply getting a feel of how you work, and then establishing a habit. Before you even start sketching, create several layers and name each one accordingly... for example: background, base color, outline, color detail, etc. Sometimes it's helpful to have two background layers, one light and one dark to switch between to show any "missed" spots. Working on a solid gray background also helps prevent this, and is a little easier on the eyes than pure white.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Aphotic Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as well as what was said above you could also lock your layers. Unlocking as you go. Then theres no chance of painting on the wrong layer.

And a very small detail with the eye the pupils darkness would go into the iris. see what i mean here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    azekariel: Thank you thatīs pretty helpful! It makes me ask another question though (itīd be nice if you answered ) :
    What is the difference between a normal, a multiply and an overlay layer? What is their meaning? Whatīs their purpose and in which way should I use them? Thatīs what I donīt really get..

And yes, you were guessing right, Iīm using Photoshop, I might try Painter X in the nearer futer though, weīll see..

Aphotic Phoenix: Alright, Iīll have a try!

Fly: you mean that the iris might be a little darker around the pupils? I thought I had done that xD

Okay, just some very very quick sketches today.
    Iīm not very happy with how they turned out, Iīm even a bit ashamed - but well fuck it.
    Iīm extremely tired, but I forced myself to sketch a little, as fast as possible...therefore very brief explanation, I need to go to bed.. .___.

Everything except the hand drawn from Bammes but tried to "think" myself as well, thatīs why they might not perfectly match the sample.
    Did the hand from life, but I guess you can see that all thos sketchs happened very fast haha xD

..good night!
    Name:  skizzen.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  113.7 KB

Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery

my Sketchbook:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    \
    What is the difference between a normal, a multiply and an overlay layer? What is their meaning? Whatīs their purpose and in which way should I use them? Thatīs what I donīt really get..
    As you've noticed, Photoshop has a lot of "blending modes", and some of them are actually quite useful, but none are 100% necessary. Basically the blending modes use the info on that layer to effect layers below it. You can do some really neat stuff using blending modes, but if you do it "wrong" it'll be pretty obvious.

Normal = normal. What you paint on a normal layer just rests above the other layers...basically as if you painted on optically clear film and stacked them on top of each other.

Multiply = blacks are opaque, whites are transparent, and colors are multiplied with each other. This mode is sometimes used to color scanned line work, and color grey scale/neutral value images. In the former you can set the line art as the top layer > multiply, and then paint underneath the line art. (Works well for comic style stuff with inked lines). In the latter, the coloring layers are set to multiply (the colors value is what to look out for here), and is a fair bit tricker to get the right color choices. I don't have a whole lot of experience using it this way, so look up some good tutorials.

Screen = black are transparent, whites are opaque. Don't know a whole lot of common uses for screen off the top of my head...might be used for some light/glow effects? Only really mentioning it because it's the opposite of Multiply.

Overlay = is sort of mix between multiply and screen. The overlay layer will be darker where the underlying layers are darker, and lighter where the underlying areas are lighter. Most commonly used to selectively add textures or markings like tattoos over already rendered pieces.

One tool that I have fun with is the "replace color" option which lets you select a color range and alter it in terms of hue, saturation, and "brightness". Tinkering around with that can produce some really interesting color combinations (or create some hideously garish ones with obvious digital "blowout" if you aren't careful) and is somewhat useful if the colors you picked out don't quite work the way you wanted.

Lasso tool is handy to select something that's perhaps a little off kilter (an eye that's just a bit too high), and move it where it needs to go, or quickly select something you want to "transform" in other ways. There are other selection tools as well, but lasso is the quickest.

There are tons of other little tricks and options...but hopefully I've managed to mention at least some of the most common ones here.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aphotic Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was right! *victorius laugh*

As for the layer modes, I see Aphotic Phoenix has got here before me... which is a damn good thing, cause I wasn't hugely sure of how they worked myself -.-

Really like the hand, the strokes are used very well to imply the creases and lines in the skin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start, keep going.

2011 Sketchbook

New Helzon's SB R.I.P. Mike

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" -Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fly: you mean that the iris might be a little darker around the pupils? I thought I had done that xD
    um.. yeah I think thats want i mean :p at that size you would be able to see the iris's thickness. How you have it it looks like it has no thickness. Obviously at smaller size you wouldn't notice. so yeah basically go darker round the pupil

to be honest though it looks good how it is am just a perfectionist :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy guys.
    Iīm REALLY sorry for not having posted that long...Iīm SO lazy!
    Iīve dismissed the idea with lady from the former posts for now, just like many other pieces I had started.

However here comes a WIP that Iīm currently working on - and after posting Iīll continue.
    The idea is to create a wallpaper for my new vista theme which is mainly orange, grey and black.
    So..originally I wanted to paint a girl that is listening to music on a black bg and maybe some nice frames added.
    But as the piece evolved I decided to use a rose as "headphones".

One of the main questions is, if should use an extra lightsource from inside the rose (which would make everything more complicated)..?
    or only use the one I chose?
    (maybe I should it to "wips" anway, btw.)

Anyone has some colour (adjustement) suggestions?
    Suggestions for the hair color?
    Name:  wallpaperwip.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  219.7 KB

As you can see, the rose is the most "finished" part of the painting..and thereīs some reference for lighting I use(d).
    SO...itīd be pretty nice to receive some crit from you!
    cheers

Last edited by makArtscorner; March 25th, 2009 at 12:12 PM.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery

my Sketchbook:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.