Sketchbook: Nele still hopes she'll get good eventually - Update: August, 21st - Page 27
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: Nele still hopes she'll get good eventually - Update: August, 21st

MacTire is offline pencil pushing blotter jotter Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies Avis, thoise screenshot studies are really working for you!!
    I wouldn't like to be in the pose of that last character though, that left shin looks painful!!

... and regarding the double post, bump away!! This kind of improvement is meant to be seen!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful work! I love especially the avril lavigne. I just want to say great job, but also that you tend to make legs a little short.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really cool update the studies are getting better as well as your figure work.

Keep working hard!

Open for commissions......just PM me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're putting us all to shame Avis, you seem to have all the bases covered, I particularly like your lines in the thumbnails a few posts back, really fluid, and some really nice compositions as well. I'm really looking forward to your next illustration.
    I'm sorry it's not a particularly constructive crit but you really do seem to be doing everything I can think to suggest short of wearing a beret (for the authentic artist look).

Keep up the stellar work

Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice drawings. Some of the studies fall short, maybe because of lack of time. I think emphasizing details at a focal point, ie, faces might help them to look more complete. It's important to decide what you're going to paint when you cant paint everything. They're coming along though, keep going to 100.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the Screen Shot Studies you have here. I am inspired.

Keep posting the great work my man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like ur progress! the screenshot studies r getting closer and closer to the originals haha. truly inspiring, thank you!

Available for Freelance!
    Portfolio blog:yongs Art blog
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lancer: what lead you to that assumption? I'm actually turning 25 this thursday About the screenshots: Yeah, when I want to practice colour I do life studies, these are for faces, compositions and brushwork
    Kvenh: SPs get better with practice, look at what shitty Portraits I did a few years ago
    : Thanks
    RomanRiot: you should look up and grab a copy of Michael Hampton's Book, it's his idea
    Mac: Haha, yes, when I mirrored the shin suddently started to scream at me in pain Thanks for the motivating words!
    Frostelle: Really? Most of the times I think they're too long. Hm...
    Fallen: I hope I do... D:
    dan: haha, thanks for the kind words. I hope I can finish some of my works in progress soon
    wilkerson: Lack of time and lack of concentration mainly. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to focus more next time
    Wheelack18: Thanks a lot, although I'm a woman
    yongs: Yay, and they suck up more and more time too, haha! Thank you
    Mars., Elophant: thank you, guys

Didn't really manage to get digital studies done this week, so here are a few more pnecils with random anatomy and life drawings :/
    Name:  11_07_29_01.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  116.3 KB

Name:  11_07_29_03.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  102.6 KB

Name:  11_08_01_01.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  423.2 KB

Name:  11_08_01_02.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  365.7 KB

Name:  11_08_01_03.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  332.0 KB

Name:  11_08_01_04.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  366.1 KB

Name:  11_08_01_05.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  251.8 KB

Name:  11_08_01_06.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  392.6 KB

Name:  11_08_01_07.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  399.3 KB

“Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All of the recent drawings are good.
    well done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have nice pencil work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely pencil characters. Only crit i can see is the orc man has very small forearms.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wilkerson, wanderer, DTP: thank you guys

Isn't it funny how sometimes you think that everything you learned seems to fall into place, and just a few days later you feel like you'll never learn anything?

Gosh, I'm 25 now, and I'm still so far away from being competent, let alone producing great work... And it's not like I just started to draw :/ I'm drawing since I'm 13 or so...
    Somehow I seem to be doing something terrbily wrong when I look around at all those kids here who start drawing and after just a few years they're so great, that it makes me want to cry
    Feeling like a frustrated hag today.

So here's stuff.. all from imagination (obviously) except the last study...

Name:  11_08_05_01.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  11_08_05_02.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  223.6 KB

Name:  11_08_05_03.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  11_08_05_04.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  208.6 KB

Name:  11_08_05_05.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  11_08_05.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  74.6 KB

Aha... knew the arms were too long, the triceps was not supposed to be that long. Should remember that

Name:  11_08_05_2.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  51.8 KB

Last edited by Nele Klumpe; August 5th, 2011 at 04:06 PM.

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nele Klumpe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't let yourself down. You're doing great.

But I know what you mean. I get this feelings from time to time as well. Just wondering how they are doing it. And there's probably only one thing we can do: draw til our fingers bleed. Let it not get us down, but be inspired by their art and the hours they put into it.

"It's not about perfection, it's about improvement."

My sketch dump

Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your stuff is great. I don't see why you would be upset with your drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your figure work is very professional looking. There's rhytm and construction combined beautifully with correct anatomy. That's always something to admire and respect. Keep this dedication up and don't get disgouraged, cause there's absolutely no reason for it.

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dunno, i just kinda assumed it i guess haha. happy belated birthday and dont worry about feeling down, everyone has those periods of frustration. soon itll get you really motivated and youll be able to improve really quickly for a while.

sorry if you know any of this already, but heres a tip about improving that helped me out a lot. strangely enough, i find im learning more and faster after slowing down to think about things (and doing less actual work) than when i tried doing as many studies as i could. like with colors, i was just like "oh, ill do a lot of speed paintings and ill get better eventually" without putting much thought into it. i did get better, but slowly. when i really took the time to see all the little changes in color and get my studies more accurate instead of fast i improved a lot more quickly. i was still having trouble with imaginitive work though, so i really thought about how i could get the studies to translate. like with colors, i found out that instead of trying to memorize the actual colors from photo studies, it helped more to figure out why all the colors were the colors they were, to find all the light sources in the image (sun, sky, reflected light, etc...) and figure out exactly what they were doing to the objects in the scene. for example, in a bright sunny scene, the sunlight made everything much brighter and a bit warmer, but when the object getting shined on was warmer than the sunlight (like skin) the sunlight actually made it cooler than the shadowed areas. stuff like that. if you understand what the light is doing to objects, youll be able to add or change things and just apply the same lighting effects to them and theyll fit right in.
    try to think the same way with everything else and figure out the best way for you to learn how to translate things to your imaginative work. youre already really good when youre working from observation, so once you figure things out youre gonna improve insanely fast, trust me

sorry sorry!! this ended up being really long but i hope it helps at least little. youve got tons of potential, youre gonna be awesome pretty soon

Last edited by lancer_idenoure; August 6th, 2011 at 06:02 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great lines on the characters - you are doing just fine!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    gah. don't be so hard on yourself Avis! I understand and know how you feel-- I too have been drawing since I was just a kid (8 yrs old D: ) and til now I know I've made some progress but not where I want to be-- but I took a gander at your DA page and I don't see what you have to be disappointed about. I haven't even been able to push myself to finish a complete digital render and you're able to do both finished traditional/digital pieces. Your figures have improved a lot since you first posted here-- both in dynamism and posture. There are many things you've improved on and I think everyone just progresses at different rates but we can speed up the process if we slow things down and understand them more which is something you are handling better than I. Let's just continue to draw and forget the age differences amongst us artists.

Til then.. keep drawing and painting! You're definitely getting there!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gnah, Avis, mach dich nicht fertig, das bringt nichts D= du machst viele Fortschritte, kehr die nicht einfach unter den Teppich! Und vergleich dich schon gar nicht mit irgendwelchen jüngeren... Jeder Mensch ist halt anders und geht auch einen anderen Weg. Gibt auch Leute, die haben ein paar Jährchen mehr als du auf dem Buckel und immer noch einen weit Weg vor sich.
    Ich wär dafür, dass du uns mal wieder so richtig mit einem digitalen Bild rockst und zeigst, was du wirklich alles kannst und gelernt hast!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AvisNocturna View Post

Isn't it funny how sometimes you think that everything you learned seems to fall into place, and just a few days later you feel like you'll never learn anything?

Gosh, I'm 25 now, and I'm still so far away from being competent, let alone producing great work... And it's not like I just started to draw :/ I'm drawing since I'm 13 or so...
    Somehow I seem to be doing something terrbily wrong when I look around at all those kids here who start drawing and after just a few years they're so great, that it makes me want to cry
    I actually think that i know how you feel, i'm 24 and my last 5 years of my life i spent in the army, so i had practically no time to draw or paint and there where moments when i almost quitted art at all.

And i think that i'm really old right now and if i spent those 5 years on art i would've been much more skillful then i'm today.

But the true point and that's what i'm telling to my self every time i have troubles with inspiration and such...that there always would be kids that half of your age and they would be better than you no matter what you're working in, art, building, music or politics. The thing is that it doesn't matter.

You do art for your self because you like it, and it makes an important part of your life, thus age, sex, location and erc don't matter,
    all that matters is your talent and the hard work that you prepared to put in to your art.

To conclude that in my opinion and in the opinion of dozens of people here on CA (and i'm pretty sure the same is true for your friends and family)
    you're extremely talented and you are putting a lot of hard work in to your art!
    And you're doing great so far so don't let those silly thoughts discourage you, just believe in your self and in the assumption made by me and other people out here that you're a good artist and you"ll do great.

Hope all the crap that i wrote here...helped at least a bit
    Cheers,

Alex.

Open for commissions......just PM me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's actually quite common feeling among artists, I think. That's just the pain of levelling up.

In the first place, I came here on your SB 'cuz I liked your stuffs and I still do. You're doing great. Cheer up and Keep it up!

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey just had to post. Also 25 and I know exactly what you're talking about. All these young whipper snappers picking things up in a couple years while I've been drawing since I could hold a pencil and still feel frustrated.
    Something that has really helped me lately though is a quick video by Matt Kohr on his ctrl paint website. Sums up in about 3 minutes what I was trying to figure out. Why it was so damn frustrating and even a way to work past it.
    I'll include the link and let you take a look, but it really motivated me.

Keep it up though I do enjoy your work and just know we all get those periods where we're feeling down/frustrated with our own work (especially being surrounded by all the amazing artists out there).
    Argh...run on sentences...my high school english teach would flay me In any case
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/home/2011/7...-painting.html

"As far as you and your work are concerned, life is line, tone, color, and design-plus your feelings about it." Andrew Loomis
    "A Lannister always pays his debts." -Tyrion Lannister

My Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...58#post2781858
    My DA - http://ssandulak.deviantart.com/
    My Tumblr - ssandulak.tumblr.com

Looking for work, send me a PM or email at ssandulak@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, 25 is still pretty damn young in my opinion. You still have a lot of time to get better and there's no need to rush it, it's not an Olympic discipline. I know what you're saying, i go through this on a regular basis, the important thing is to remember that you do this because you enjoy. I think it's time that you take a step back and look at the level you're at now, which is already pretty advanced. Plenty of people aren't at this level, if that's any relief :p What i think you can work on is how to position your characters in space. There's a few pics where the feet aren't drawn on the same plane, pay attention to those things. Perspective's EVERYWHERE, it sounds obvious but i tend to forget that as well often enough. Also, one thing that bothers about the unreffed poses is a stiffness around the head and neck. The characters sometimes tilt their head in a strange angle opposite the rest of their body. the guy with the glasses in post #790 is a good example.

Okay, i'm gonna quit with the pedantics now, i've probably bogged you down even more, but i'd really like to stress one more time that you're on the right track and it's only matter of concentrating on the tough little bits Take care and keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well good job on the sketches from imagination they sure look nice, still more practice and studies of other characters/models/life drawings would enrich your imagination, draw swords and armors from photos too very important.
    if it makes you feel any better Im 29 and busting my butt for the past 2 years and barely near the level of professional work. work hard stay positive and youl get there, heck Brad Rigney (crypt crawler) started around the age of 29-30 I believe so age means nothing, determination and passion for what you do does.

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AvisNocturna View Post

I know that feeling. I used to feel like that a lot but now i just smile and keep on drawing.
    Drawing should be FUN. DON'T get depressed. There is no reason to get depressed.
    If you fail, you fail. Everyone does and you should learn from your mistakes. Analyze them and move on. Don't look how much other guys improve. Look at YOUR improvement.
    Study from books (don't just copy, read), draw from pictures and most important - from life. DRAW DRAW DRAW.
    Drawing should be your lifestyle, not something you HAVE TO do.

What i would also suggest you is that you try all different media on this planet (oils, acrils, gouache, pencils, pen, ink, tempera,..).
    Believe me, it is worth to try everything and anything.

Keep it on, move on. Leave frustration behind you and keep smiling while drawing.

Good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I normally don't post without something to show, but I feel that I have to reply now

First of all: Thank you all for your encouraging words. That really means a lot to me, honestly. But I now feel a little guilty, as I was just feeling a little old that day and had to rant somewhere about it, and caused all of you to think it would be much worse D:
    It's actually not. I had a bad day, not bad weeks and months, as it used to be a year ago. In fact I'm mostly happy and love to draw, and even if I don't feel 100% right, I'm still doing it, and after 5 minutes the frustration goes away (Therapy helps a great deal, if you suffered from depression over years.)
    So thank you all again, but don't worry about me, all in all this year I'm in the best shape mentally and physically of my life

lancer: You know what? I had that same idea just a few wks/months ago. When I was a lot younger I was just drawing out of my mind, and wondered why I didn't improve. After that I was studying photos and still lifes, which helped a lot, but I didn'T think a lot about the why. No I'm trying to really put my mind in it, and it's getting much better! So I hope others will read this too and don't make the same mistakes

teapo: thanks a lot for your words

Julia: Ich mach mich nicht fertig Und das Bild von dem du spricht ist schon fast fertig. Aber ich polier's noch ein bisschen Dann zeig ich's auch! Danke

Fallen: helped a lot, thanks

ssandulak: ctrl paint really is an awesome site, I watch his videos regularly and the one you mentioned was extremely good. All the while I was just nodding "yay, that's it"

walnut: I tend to forget it's not Olympics... I always try to keep up with all the good guys around me, sometimes it's hard to just concentrate on myself...
    Also I'm currently working a lot on my perspective skills, and I also noticed that there's very often something weird about the head positions. Thanks for the reminder, I'll keep studying this. And don't worry, no harm done

Danny_K: I actually got a whole book packed with great photos of armour and weapons of all times and ages, so I'll definetly do some studies out of it And thanks you

wolf: true words, as I already mentioned, I'm dealing a lot better with that now than I did just a year ago. So thank you too

witcrack, Noro, ismo, wanderer, zeichenwut: thanks for your encouraging words

Sooo, I think I can post something nontheless. I did an illustration for a German RPG Magazine for a Shadowrun article. (The empty space at the top was for the type)
    Totally out of my comfortzone.
    I did a lot more sketches, but nothing quite worth scanning, just perspective studies, shadows construction, gestures and so on...

Name:  mephisto52_sr_illu_opener_web.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  316.3 KB

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Nele Klumpe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some really nice works in your SB !
    Your sketchs are particulary good, for the digital paintings, maybe you could be a bir more carefull with the hard/soft edges, and also you could add a bit of textures by using different brushes
    Keep up the good work !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never thought that you're in a bad state, but still I am glad to show some support and cheering to a fellow artist Now look at your latest post! That is wicked! your polished works looks better than your sketch-studies and that's the way it's supposed to be (not saying that your studies looks bad though), so it usually means that you are doing great.

Keep posting, posting, posting!

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff.

I got crit regarding poses. For position of the limbs you sometimes tend to pick the option which has the least foreshortening. It's the most apparent especially in this sketch - http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...0&d=1312222944. She looks like she was flying in the air and got flattened on invisible wall. Looks very uncomfortable .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your work alot. It has been interesting to watch these 14 pages since its the first time i see them - and it good to see you evolve.

I definately like your self portraits the most. They are really good. Also your anatomy is good.

But i like your productiveness alot - i wish i had that encouragement.

Scope

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 18