Page 47 of 70 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Watched

Thanks
    Thanked 6,087 Times in 2,480 Posts
    I hate to admit it, but my partner has me completely hooked on Downton Abbey. We have watched the first three episodes and the acting and writing is so good, sets, costumes beautiful. Great show.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    I hate to admit it, but my partner has me completely hooked on Downton Abbey. We have watched the first three episodes and the acting and writing is so good, sets, costumes beautiful. Great show.
    The wife and I are big fans as well. The lords mother (Maggie Smith)
    cracks us up. Excellent writing, with some truly likable characters and
    some really vile, but complex, ones.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Ok, having watched the second episode of Breaking Bad, this format is much more appropriate than a movie because it's able to expand on plot points and make them more realistic. If this entire story were told as a movie, it'd be extremely compressed and the plot points would lose their impact.

That said, it's basically turned into a black comedy now.

The entire episode is about the two trying to discard the corpses of the two drug dealers that tried to murder them in the last episode, and things get worse when it turns out one of them survived the poison gas Walter had to make on the quick in order to escape.

And then Walter's wife confronts Jessie about marijuana while he's trying to move one of the bodies that started to decay because of sitting in the hot RV for a few days when they took too long to act. Jessie's attempts at making sure Skyler didn't see anything, as well as how stereotypically unhip she is, were both amusing to watch, yo.

And the ending where Walter explains WHY they needed plastic containers, oh man.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Ok, having watched the second episode of Breaking Bad, this format is much more appropriate than a movie because it's able to expand on plot points and make them more realistic. If this entire story were told as a movie, it'd be extremely compressed and the plot points would lose their impact.

That said, it's basically turned into a black comedy now.

The entire episode is about the two trying to discard the corpses of the two drug dealers that tried to murder them in the last episode, and things get worse when it turns out one of them survived the poison gas Walter had to make on the quick in order to escape.

And then Walter's wife confronts Jessie about marijuana while he's trying to move one of the bodies that started to decay because of sitting in the hot RV for a few days when they took too long to act. Jessie's attempts at making sure Skyler didn't see anything, as well as how stereotypically unhip she is, were both amusing to watch, yo.

And the ending where Walter explains WHY they needed plastic containers, oh man.
    Please, no more spoilers as this is in my Netflix queue with Sons of Anarchy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ah, ok. (I didn't spoil the best scene, though).

I never had much interest in Sons of Anarchy. I know my roommate likes it, though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    The wife and I are big fans as well. The lords mother (Maggie Smith)
    cracks us up. Excellent writing, with some truly likable characters and
    some really vile, but complex, ones.
    I love when they announce her

The Dowager Lady Grantham

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    Re Nolan I thought Inception was a disaster, but loved Following and the Batmans.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Man, I went through alot of Breaking Bad in the last few days. I'm almost at the end of season three at the moment, but I moved all my yapping about it into the appropriate thread.

Anyway, I watched Paper Moon. About a father-daughter team of swindlers traveling around the rural midwest during the 30's. The movie was made in the 70's, but they try to give it a 30's vibe by filming it completely in black and white.

It was ok. I honestly was a bit bored in the early parts, but after a little while I managed to stay interested to the end.

It seems the movie omits a later plotline from the book (Addie Pray) where the two hit the big time by conning a lawyer in New Orleans. Maybe I'll get to reading the book.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 13th, 2012 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    I've been watching Dexter while drawing. The dialogue is so hammy it would work as a radio play.

Thanks
    Guh. Tried to watch The Devil's Double, but I hated it and turned to something else. I don't care if it had some factual basis, I couldn't take anything seriously with all the sleazy "living the life" garbage you'd see on any crappy reality show with a bunch of rich jackasses. I'm not good at describing it what it is that turned me away from it.

It actually took me about a half hour to realize that it took place in the 80's/90's. The only indicators were the historical footage involving Desert Storm.

But the movie I watched instead? Hobo with a Shotgun. Damn, I feel like my IQ went down a notch watching it, and if anyone bothers to note all the crap I watch and have yapped about on this thread, that's saying something.

Crap, I wouldn't even say that about DOLEMITE.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 9th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    I saw both of those too.

The Devils Double was pretty meh. Check out House of Saddam.

I am a connoisseur of stupid movies. Dumb movies can be fun. But when they are pointless, they are boring. Hobo with a Shotgun was boring.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Watching Dexter for several hours always puts me in a weird state of mind. Don't even know how to describe it. Also become very aware of the voice in my head (the inner monologue kind, not the insanity kind).

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Harry Brown. A 2009 vigilante movie starring Micheal Crane. Yeah.

You want to know what Alfred was doing in the Dark Knight Rises when he basically leaves the movie until the ending? Just watch this movie. It's more fun when you pretend he IS still playing Alfred, because there's no difference in his performance. Seriously, there are bits where the guy recounts a few old war stories like he's speaking to Bruce Wayne.

What happens is Crane plays a veteran who turns vigilante after his wife dies from some disease and a street gang murders his best friend.

It's REALLY cheesy, but it was an ok movie. The thing that really bugs me about it is that the villains are all built up to be the absolute worst human beings possible (a bit graphically in one scene, I might add) just so we can have Micheal Crane kill them quickly.

I'll admit I'm a goody two shoes. I usually enjoy good-natured but fallible protagonists to root for. I love seeing evil characters getting what they deserve by the end. But there's a point where the level of depravity a writer wants to throw on a villain becomes too contrived and absurd to take seriously. This type of thing can bug me when a character's made for sympathy, but with those my tolerance is much higher.

There's also really weak CGI effects for blood and smoke, as opposed to the practical effects film makers have been using for decades. What's the point of crappy unconvincing CG?

One thing that really surprised me about it, though, was that it's an hour and forty minutes long, and I seriously thought the movie was at the halfway point when the credits rolled! I had no idea that much time had passed! I must say that wasn't a satisfying ending.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 13th, 2012 at 12:59 AM.

Page 47 of 70 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 41