Just Watched - Page 28

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: Just Watched

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Ok, season 3 of Boardwalk, still awesome.

Rosetti was a really cool character,he is unpredictable and dangerous both to others and to himself , yet is still believable.

Nucky is an asshole this season but the progression makes sense, he is deeper and deeper in the abism and stakes get higher and higher, not as amazing as walter white´s progression to morally questionable but likeable to cold blooded manipulative but is one good second best.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ok, season 3 of Boardwalk, still awesome.

Rosetti was a really cool character,he is unpredictable and dangerous both to others and to himself , yet is still believable.

Nucky is an asshole this season but the progression makes sense, he is deeper and deeper in the abism and stakes get higher and higher, not as amazing as walter white´s progression to morally questionable but likeable to cold blooded manipulative but is one good second best.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Angels With Dirty Faces (1938)

Yeah, it was good.

Another Cagney gangster flick, except it makes it it's business to keep Cagney from looking like a complete asshole. A criminal, yes. But there's no grapefruit scenes or cold-blooded murders to make you hate him outright, he's always on the defensive in a gun fight, stuff like that, and it uses that to it's advantage.

Like the Public Enemy, it starts off with a little of Cagney's childhood as a young hoodlum with little future. We then flash forward 15 years to see that Cagney's life goes exactly how one expected, he spends his time in and out of jail working with a criminal organization.

HOWEVER, we see that in that time, Cagney's childhood friend, Pat O'Brien, had become a priest. They're both still good friends despite this, and that's where the conflict lies.

Cagney's dealings with his crooked lawyer Humphery Bogart are a central plot, but the main theme of the movie is role models and hero worship. The neighborhood kids look up to Cagney, and O'Brien knows nothing good can come of it. But he can only do so much to change things.

The ending had me tear up. It really did. I learn now that the Oscars liked the movie, too. Gave it four nominations, but no wins. This was Cagney's first Oscar nomination.

Next up, I've got three movies I gotta watch in succession! But I'll bring that up when I get to them. One's supposed to be a doozy. I'll give you a hint: Ricardo Cortez, Bette Davis, and Humphery Bogart/George Raft.

At this point, I should really point out that it's just luck I keep running into Humphrey Bogart in all these movies. I don't even get what the big deal about him is.

EDIT: Anyway, saw Marked Woman (1937) today. It's not one of the three I'm talking about (I've got to get the movies first), but ANOTHER movie where Bogart plays a supporting role. It's basically the story of how Lucky Luciano was taken down. Bette Davis is a nightclub hostess for a clip joint owned by vicious mobster played by Eduardo Ciannelli, and Bogart plays the District Attorney that's fighting to take him down but need's Bette's testimony to do it.

It's decent enough. I should mention it's from the director of Picture Snatcher, but that doesn't really matter, since this movie's pretty dramatic and serious. Picture Snatcher was plain ridiculous.

Last edited by Psychotime; December 31st, 2012 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks
    oh man. just watched Les Misérables. So good. The consumes- the music- the shot design...Brilliant!

Thanks
    Django Unchained is a good movie. A little overrated, I think, but still good.

And I was so happy to hear the Trinity theme at the end.

I wish I watched more spaghetti westerns now, because with Tarantino you KNOW it's full of references.

One thing I found really out of place was the Rick Ross and Tupac music. Didn't work for me.

Oh, the best scene was the pillowcase scene, hands down.

Thanks
    Eddsworld: Movie Makers-I thought I would give another of Edd Gould's cartoons a chance, but like Snobody and WTFuture; it was
    really bland. Look, I know Edd died from Leukemia, but that doesn't mean I have to care about his work. So far, Eddsworld is
    basically akin to Tomorrow's Nobodies and Baron von Brunk, but with flat jokes and voices that are so banal that I'm still
    wondering why he became popular in the first place. In other words, I don't like Eddsworld aside from that song
    Edd made.

The Marx Brothers in Duck Soup-I haven't seen the whole thing, but this was comedy gold. Here's to aspiring filmakers, gag
    writers, comedians, etc. learning something from this film

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Frankenweenie

Not even remotely as entertaining as Paranorman.

Bland characters and bland narrative for the most part. the designs on the characters goes from not too interesting to straight up ugly and the animation on them is lackluster most times, Theres momments when they just move and looks akward and even when it gets better the interactions between them are still boring. Outside of some good frames here and there and well placed lighting that did made for some good black and white feel theres very little that i found interesting. The horror picture look with the fog, the heavy shadows and stuff was there, i guess it did do that, if for a momment you can forget about the dullness of the rest, the movie does gets more passable.

The mouths and the facial expressions look specially bad and the characters themselves might as well be a bunch of vegetables for all the personality they have, that was my biggest gripe, because the monsters and the climax, i dunno, they are there, thats ok.

Tim Burton is someone who i consider to be a skilled and creative individual, but his movies are hard to care for nowadays. Wathever he makes seems to end up making money anyways, so, good for him and the people who like his pictures i guess. More power to them.

I´d say, like a 6/10, not insultingly awfull but not too much above mediocre. And if i had skipped it, no biggie.

Last edited by JDSart; January 3rd, 2013 at 01:26 AM.

Thanks
    double post

Last edited by JDSart; January 3rd, 2013 at 12:33 AM.

Thanks
    And...HERE WE GO! Triple-feature day!

The Maltese Falcon (1931)

This is a crappy movie. No wonder people only remember the remake with Humphrey Bogart. Once I got to the halfway point I was just waiting for it to end.

Ricardo Cortez plays detective Sam Spade. In THIS movie, Spade's a sleazy money-grubbing douchebag with a shit-eating grin who tries to woo any woman he meets and admits that he only looks out for number one. Simply put, he's a real jackass.

This movie may have been the one that started the "detective's partner gets killed" trope, but that doesn't stop this movie from being painfully slow and shoddily edited. In a good chunk of the early scenes the hookups are downright atrocious and disorienting.

There are times when the characters act like anything other than logical human beings and I have to pause and ask "what the hell?" I'm guessing it's supposed to be funny..? Whenever it happens it just falls flat and looks frickin' stupid.

Satan Met a Lady (1937)

This one I didn't plan on watching until I discovered it by accident. It's the first remake of the Maltise Falcon, and stars Bette Davis.

But the part that REALLY got me interested with this review of it.

Bosley Crowther of the New York Times called the film "a cynical farce of elaborate and sustained cheapness" that "deserves to be quoted as a classic of dullness" and observed, "Without taking sides in a controversy of such titanic proportions, it is no more than gallantry to observe that if Bette Davis had not effectually espoused her own cause against the Warners recently by quitting her job, the Federal Government eventually would have had to step in and do something about her. After viewing Satan Met a Lady . . . all thinking people must acknowledge that a Bette Davis Reclamation Project (BDRP) to prevent the waste of this gifted lady's talents would not be a too-drastic addition to our various programs for the conservation of natural resources." He concluded, "So disconnected and lunatic are the picture's incidents, so irrelevant and monstrous its people, that one lives through it in constant expectation of seeing a group of uniformed individuals appear suddenly from behind the furniture and take the entire cast into protective custody. There is no story, merely a farrago of nonsense representing a series of practical studio compromises with an unworkable script. It is the kind of mistake over which the considerate and discreet thing is to draw the veil of silence."
    The controversy he's referring to is the lawsuit Davis filed against Warner Bros over crappy scripts she had to work with due to contractual obligation. And this was one of them!

Seriously, any movie that sounds THAT bad I NEED to check out, and it's even better when it's a remake of a movie I was gonna watch anyway!

...Man, when I thought the original had odd bits where the characters stopped acting like human beings. This one's worse! HOLY SHIT, it's worse! Wow, just wow.

The concept behind this movie is that it's a parody remake, and the comedy is SO forced.

There are stupid scenes that MAKE FUN of the stupid scenes the original had, and you KNOW nothing good will come out of that!

Without context, this stuff is even stupider than it already is! And it's pretty fuckin' stupid. Besides being an awful comedy, it's an example of why overt parodies are terrible concepts to start with. Any idea that relies on the audience knowing things beforehand or get left in the dust are doomed once it hits paper. There's no longevity in them.

A good use of references should never alienate audience members who DON'T get it. Look at Tarantino's stuff. He references things ALL THE DAMN TIME, and yet knowing them isn't a requirement to be able to watch his movies.

That's what makes this remake an extreme failure. It's bad enough to start off, and it's made worse by the REQUIREMENT that you watched the earlier movie or read the book beforehand.

I could not finish this piece of shit. I just had to stop halfway through. This is seriously the worst movie I've watched in a long time. I came in expecting bad, but it's SO goddamn bad that there's not a hint of entertainment to be found.

No WONDER George Raft turned down the 1941 remake! Given the last two tries I'd stay far FAR away!

And that leads me to...

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

George Raft was the initial choice for Sam Spade, but he turned it down (Can't imagine why.) But it turned out to be the biggest mistake of his career, and it was THIS movie that finally catapulted Humphrey Bogart into stardom. I guess Bogart made sure to read the script first before making a decision.

What a miracle this movie is. I don't have any other word for it. After the first one being crappy, and the second being absolute shit, it's a miracle someone came along and made a DECENT movie out of it. Every issue I had with the first movie has been ironed out. The pacing is much quicker (though the dialogue is a little too quick at times, but that's minor complaint) and better casting (aw yeah, Peter Lorre) and scripting fixes a good many of the scenes that I took issue with in the original.

Thanks
    Thought I'd rewatch Watch Out, We're Mad. It's one of my favorites. The original name is "...altrimenti ci arrabbiamo"!

It's a 70's Italian action-comedy (it's an Italian film, but the scenes are acted in English, for whatever reason) starring Terence Hill and Bud Spencer, who you might know from the Trinity series of spaghetti westerns. (If you saw Django Unchained, then you heard the Trinity theme at the end of the film.)

Donald Pleasance is one of the villains, a goofy Freud wannabe.

The plot...two rivals get in a fight with a gang of local crooks after they destroy the dune buggy they were fighting over.

Everything about this movie is just plain fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    I always liked the cartoon Jackie Chan adventures. Wasn't Jackie Chan voiced, or even based on Jackie Chan. But still liked it. Had some memorable characters.

https://www.crackle.com/c/The_Jackie_Chan_Adventures

Thanks
    I'm currently watching that new JoJo's Bizarre Adventure cartoon, and I'm digging it. It's certainly not perfect, but I'm enjoying it. And I took WAY too long to bother with this series in some form. It's classic Jump! It's one of the longest running comics in Shueisha's history!

I'm gonna bet money that anyone slightly familiar to the series will be thrown for a loop on the first episode. Because this new cartoon is actually the first adaptation that starts from the beginning! All other adaptations, even the video games, are more often than not adapting the most popular arc of the series, Stardust Crusaders.

If I can describe the series, (as far as I can see it at the moment), it's essentially a modern era Castlevania mixed with Fist of the North Star. No, really! Each story arc is about different generations of the Joestar bloodline, who use mystic martial arts to fight immortal vampires (and worse) created from ancient Mayan dark magic. Seriously!

And from everything I ever saw from this series before actually watching it for myself, I NEVER would have expected it.

The first story arc, Phantom Blood, is about Johnathan Joestar in 1890's England who's the first to experience vampires. The second arc, is about his grandson Joseph in 1930's New York, and the third (which is what most people are apparently familiar with) is about HIS grandson Jotaru Kujo in 1980's Japan.

Currently the show (which is ongoing) has only started on the second arc, but I'm already liking this second arc better than the first. Now it's thrown Nazis into the mix.

And name me ANY Japanese cartoon from ANY era that uses Yes for their ending credits music?

Last edited by Psychotime; January 11th, 2013 at 12:04 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    I'm currently watching that new JoJo's Bizarre Adventure cartoon, and I'm digging it. It's certainly not perfect, but I'm enjoying it. And I took WAY too long to bother with this series in some form. It's classic Jump! It's one of the longest running comics in Shueisha's history!

I'm gonna bet money that anyone slightly familiar to the series will be thrown for a loop on the first episode. Because this new cartoon is actually the first adaptation that starts from the beginning! All other adaptations, even the video games, are more often than not adapting the most popular arc of the series, Stardust Crusaders.

If I can describe the series, (as far as I can see it at the moment), it's essentially a modern era Castlevania mixed with Fist of the North Star. No, really! Each story arc is about different generations of the Joestar bloodline, who use mystic martial arts to fight immortal vampires (and worse) created from ancient Mayan dark magic. Seriously!

And from everything I ever saw from this series before actually watching it for myself, I NEVER would have expected it.

The first story arc, Phantom Blood, is about Johnathan Joestar in 1890's England who's the first to experience vampires. The second arc, is about his grandson Joseph in 1930's New York, and the third (which is what most people are apparently familiar with) is about HIS grandson Jotaru Kujo in 1980's Japan.

Currently the show (which is ongoing) has only started on the second arc, but I'm already liking this second arc better than the first. Now it's thrown Nazis into the mix.

And name me ANY Japanese cartoon from ANY era that uses Yes for their ending credits music?

There's supposed to be a new episode today, definitely a show worth recommending!

Thanks
    Oh, and I have to say that this is also one of those rare animes where I actually ENJOY the openings and endings! I can name a few others, but more often than not I can't stand the openings or endings to anime, and I outright fast forward through them for the health of my ears and eyes.

My favorite is the second one, but the first one is really interesting in itself for how unorthodox it is. Both times they decide to use a striking cel shaded CG style, but it's more pronounced in the first one. No idea who came up with that idea (if I need to say it, the show itself is 2D like most other anime), but whatever, it works here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lnsY4vmDm4

You KNOW it's badass. I really hope this show can go through the whole shebang.

The biggest downside I see in this series, is the censorship the TV station has set up for it. Being inspired by Fist of the North Star, it's a VERY gory series. And the cartoon follows it to a t. HOWEVER the TV station that plays it, Tokyo MX, has alot of the gore censored for broadcast. The really graphic stuff gets darkened out, usually it's passable, but it becomes really obvious when you'll have a 5 second lingering shot of a zombie getting it's head smashed like a watermelon, and practically the entire screen is covered in black.

( Click to show/hide )

It's ridiculous, and I'm not even a person who's much for gore at all. Once the show hits (criminally overpriced) DVD, then it will be uncensored. But until then it's just something you have to bear with.

Last edited by Psychotime; January 11th, 2013 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Just saw Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Not that good, but it has so many parallels on Barack Obama's parents.

The movie was made in 67. Obama was made in 61.

Sydney Poitier plays a well respected doctor with offices around the world but centered in Africa.

The young pretty white girl is clearly more naive and in raging love than Sydney Poitier. She is convinced their child will be president.

The parents are liberal for the time, but not that liberal. They're all for civil rights, but struggle to see "the blacks" as equals. Now I have a better insight into my grandmas weird backhanded racism.

They met in Hawaii and got married before getting to know each other.

Spencer Tracy looks just like the old dude from UP.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Just watched Superman 2. It was really dumb. But at least I got a few laughs out of it.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    just finished my third run of Black lagoon love this series pretty much quentin tarantino the anime now if they would release season 3 dubbed already.

Oh, and I have to say that this is also one of those rare animes where I actually ENJOY the openings and endings! I can name a few others, but more often than not I can't stand the openings or endings to anime, and I outright fast forward through them for the health of my ears and eyes.
    Best anime openings ive ever found are the openings to cowboy bebop baccano and the original hellsing anime the latter two are actually two of my favorite songs

edit:just checked that spoiler tag dear jesus that is serious censoring might have a look at it once its released uncensored though.

Thanks
    Finally, I watch a Miyazaki film after a good long while. My Neighbor Totoro. Last thing I saw was Princess Mononoke back in high school. It played on TCM, so I got to see it. Yeah.

No wait, I saw Ponyo back in 2010. The angry baby was hilarious.

Seriously, I'm just not interested in Miyazaki. I can say his character designs are distinctly his (bonus points for a Japanese animation studio that goes out of their way to portray teeth. Japan in general needs to stop being afraid of drawing teeth, and it's always refreshing to see it.), the animation is decent, and the environments are phenomenal, but that doesn't mean I have to actually like his films.

Small rant here.

( Click to show/hide )

And one thing that I hate hearing is comparisons of him to Disney. Sorry, when you actually know the huge strides Disney made for the art form, it's a very silly thing to say.

Does he make good family-oriented animated films? Sure. That doesn't mean you can compare him to the guy who's studio developed and canonized the 12 principles of animation and broke ground that everyone else was too afraid to attempt, with the first feature-length animated film. (He actually wasn't the first to do sound cartoons, despite popular knowledge claiming so.)

Animation AS AN ARTFORM owes ALOT to Disney, and if he was removed from history, the medium would be a hell of alot different, probably for the worst. And I'm not even a Disney fan!

Miyazaki can't compare to that, whether you like his films or not. Just say he makes good films.

Ok, got that out of me, onto the movie.

I occasionally switched from English to Japanese as I watched (I do that alot when I'm able to), and I have to say, I HATE the father's Japanese voice. He sounds like a damn robot. Everything else is fine. I can switch back and forth without any major issues.

I have to wonder if there was ever a crazy group that would claim that the movie would teach kids to pester sleeping forest animals. The whole scene where the little sister meets Totoro made me think "What if some kid tried that shit with a bear in real life?" There's no way I'm the only one thinking that if this weren't a Miyazaki film, this movie would end with a mauling.

The dust creatures in the house were bad enough. Each scene with them in the first half hour could have been rewritten for a supernatural horror movie like The Grudge. "Don't go in the attic, you'll get your jaw ripped off!"

And I'm pretty sure I've seen that cat bus in my nightmares somewhere.

Anyway, it was a movie with really awesome backgrounds.

Now time for me to get longwinded!

For the last month I've been watching the first season of Sailor Moon. The two main reasons being for a really nerdy project I've been bothering with on and off since last year, and just to say that I've finally done it.

I initially tried starting a few years back, but at the time I couldn't stand the run-of-the-mill monster of the week formula. Heck, I STILL haven't finished Heartcatch Precure (Oh, but I will, count on it) because it burned me out back in August.

But since then I've been able to tolerate alot more stuff. If I can sit through the first 30 or so episodes of Fairy Tail over a weekend, a mediocre shonen series that constantly squanders it's own potential with lazy writing that gets WORSE the more you think about it, then I can tolerate a formulaic magical girl show.

To prevent this post from being too large (too late, huh?), for everyone's benefit I'm gonna spoiler the bulk of it, so that the people who don't care can just move past it.

Just trying to be considerate.

( Click to show/hide )

It's a shame how only 3 members of the main cast appear to have any real personalities: Moon, Mask, and Mars. I like the IDEA of Mercury and Jupiter (they were always my favorites), but the fact is that the former is one note, and the latter doesn't seem to have a life at all. But Venus gets the worst of it, and it's a serious shame I'm saying this.

For those who don't know, Venus was actually the original Sailor Senshi, not just canon-wise but publication-wise. She came out first in her own solo comic, and Moon came out later, eventually ending in an assimilation, essentially.

Before Venus becomes part of the team in Moon, she's an established hero talked about constantly by everyone. But (in THIS show, at least) she never actually appears until the very last arc of the first season, to become the last member of the central team. Despite her origin, she's the blandest character I've ever seen in this show, and there's NO reason she should be!

I'm gonna assume there'll be character development in the later seasons. It seems to me that at this point it got pushed aside for the plot. Yeah, it's got one.

But just because the protagonist has a clear personality doesn't necessarily mean you'll find her tolerable as a character. I can see people finding Usagi EXTREMELY annoying, petty, stupid, and useless. But that's the entire joke. The assigned leader of the team is actually the one LEAST qualified for the role, due to some destiny silliness or whatever that she eventually has to face and grow into.

The entire show is about how incompetent Moon is, despite her "chosen one" status. Every other Sailor Senshi is smarter, braver, and stronger than she is, from the certified genius with a 300 IQ, the serious badass who was able to take on a general AND monster of the week with her bare hands before getting powers, to the one who had an established solo career (complete with licensing*) LONG before anyone else ever got powers. And yet they have to play second banana to a complete loser because "destiny" says so.

But I can buy the joke just fine.

*I'm not kidding. In the show, Sailor Venus has tons of merchandise with her name and face on it. From video games, to toys, to a show within the show. It's not clear if she's making any money on all this stuff, but it's amusing to think about.

I'm currently in the final 10 episodes of the first season, with Tuxedo Mask getting brainwashed and turned evil by the villains, Moon learning her true destiny and stuff, and having to face up to it.

I've liked how at every 10 or so episodes they try to mix things up by switching out generals to the main villain who have different goals/styles/whatever when it comes to their villainy. If you didn't guess, the generals get switched around because they get killed for failing too much. But for a monster of the week show, it breaks up the monotony.

You've got the first general (who's the blandest) setting up scams across Tokyo to drain a mass amount of souls. The second finds the old method lazy and decides to pinpoint and drain from strong souled individuals (people with talents and drives) by possessing their tools, which turns out to net alot better.

Once the third comes along, the soul draining isn't needed, but finding the seven chaos emeralds rainbow crystals is the new goal, with means awakening seven indivuals around Tokyo who are reincarnations of demons sealed long ago. But upon the fourth, the goal is just "kill Sailor Moon before she gets too powerful thanks to number three's screw up". It just gets interesting from having the rogue ally get captured and brainwashed into evil.

The main thing that always irks me about these kinds of shows is how much they waste monsters. I mean how they come up with cool character designs that deserve to be around for more than one epsiode. I've never understood the logic behind making something cool just to discard it right afterward.

But yapping over, it's watchable, and of course nostalgic. At least it doesn't piss me off like Fairy Tail does, despite how cheesy it might be. I can just say I can tolerate alot more these days. But "Taxi!" still sucks, and "Satan Met a Lady" is still absolute shit. Yep, still not over those movies.

I COULD potentially restart the live action version, but...damn. Outside of the AMAZING scenery chewing of the actress playing the main villain, it's... probably crossing the line with how surreal a show like this should be allowed to be. But god damn, is it hilarious and awkward. Yeah, I'll probably set some time to watch it in full.

But Heartcatch comes first. Despite the stupid monsters of the week (the complete opposite problem) and one of the cute mascots literally defecating magical items (in a "cute" way, I might add) every episode (I wish that was a joke, but I've yapped about that before, and the worst part is that it starts off as a gold liquid); the leads are likeable, the generals are fun, and the fighting is alot cooler.

Last edited by Psychotime; January 26th, 2013 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks
    Forest Gump. Another movie I had on my list that I've only seen bits and pieces of as a kid. Good movie. That's all I have to say. Good movie. Loved it.

Also finished the first season of Sailor Moon. No surprises. But I REALLY hated episode 42. That episode pissed me off. It made absolutely no sense and made Salior Venus look like an asshole. Thankfully it doesn't appear to have any bearing on anything at all.

Funny how it ends with a time wipe that erases everyone's memories of the events until the meet again. Guess that's what you have to do when you literally kill off your entire cast in the final battle.

Last edited by Psychotime; February 23rd, 2013 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks
    Aaaand Blade Runner's now off the list. I believe I watched the Director's Cut.

( Click to show/hide )
    So no Hollywood ending, and Harrison Ford turns out to be a replicant. It's not much of a twist, but I like how subtly they reveal it.

Can't say I liked the movie (No, sir!). But now I can say I've seen it. The environments were interesting, at least.

Man, we've only got 6 years before we get sentient robots, flying cars, and off-world colonies? People sure were optimistic in the 80's, weren't they? At least in ONE sense, anyway...

( Click to show/hide )
    Any time now...

EDIT: Oh, speaking of dystopian futures, just saw Dredd, only because I kept hearing about it. Never had any interest in 2000AD.

Not a bad movie at all. Good move to have the rookie, because Dredd himself is shallow character that'd get dull as hell if the movie only had him. With the rookie, you've got someone more grounded and interesting.

I like how they immediately give a believable reason as to why the rookie doesn't wear a helmet. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have cared, but it's a nice touch. Nice use of a psychic that doesn't break it's own rules as to her abilities.

It might have been interesting to see the original 3D version in theaters, because it's obvious the drug-pov scenes were made for it.

Last edited by Psychotime; January 27th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks
    Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei (OVA)-Not the best anime I have seen, but it was still interesting and entertaining for what it was.

Angel Sanctuary (OVA): A decent adaptation of the Manga, but the dubbing was a major buzzkill. (A case for why good voice direction is important.)

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Aliens. I thought the first one was a good enough slasher movie (honestly better than any other slasher I've watched); but THIS movie kicked ass. Watched the Director's Cut, by the way.

From the beginning I was digging it. I love how it's a true sequel that really builds off of everything the last movie left off. Ripley has to explain to some jackass bigwigs about what the hell happened to the Nostromo and it's crew, but of course they don't beleive a word she says (despite the ship's blackbox or whatever recording the coordinates of the planet they saw), suspend her license and put her in a psyche ward. What a day.

And then once everything she warned them about DOES happen, the only thing she gets is "Can you come along to serve as a consultant?" No apology, she doesn't get her license back, nothing! They can't even admit they made a massive mistake that cost hundreds of lives! They're a bit cliched, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that big business shitstains are always fun characters to hate.

The set pieces, monster animatronics, and the special effects and all amazing, as you'd expect. One thing that really stood out to me was the shot where Bishop disects a facehugger. That thing looked pretty real. It's a shame they rarely do stuff like this anymore.

Top notch.

One scene I particularly liked is the silent communication between Ripley and the Queen Pulsating, Bloated, Festering, Sweaty, Puss-filled, Malformed, Slug for a Butt. You know the scene, where Ripley motions to the eggs and the Queen makes her drones back down so they can leave quitely without incident. It was interesting to have the two wildly different organisms come to something of a mutual understanding from a simple gesture. And then Ripley basically goes "You know what? Fuck you!" and torches the whole brood. Awesome.

I only have one issue with this movie: Burke's death was a letdown. An alien just shows up at the door for a few seconds, and then it cuts. I wanted to SEE that piece of shit get his due. And yet it's Bishop, the awesome android dude, who has to be the one to get mutilated!? BOO! Sure, he's a robot and can probably be fixed, but still boo! If someone needed to be impaled and torn in half onscreen, it should have been Burke.

Maybe they could only do it with the android who bleeds milk. I mean, movies like Robocop and Taxi Driver had to cut out or edit some of their violence in order to pass for an R rating. Must have been the case here. Do any fans know? Is it a deleted scene?

Anyway, from everything I've heard, the series goes nowhere but downhill from here. Ah well. At least the first movie is decent enough, and the sequel is just badass. I can see why this franchise has fans.

Speaking of James Cameron, I'm thinking of watching Terminator and T2 soon, because they're on the list. I'm pretty sure I'll love the hell out of T2, but I haven't seen it since I was a kid, and I only remember so much.

Last edited by Psychotime; January 30th, 2013 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Aliens is a good shout for the best scifi action film ever.
    Anyway, from everything I've heard, the series goes nowhere but downhill from here.
    Series? There are two films and two films only. Just like there are only two Terminator movies and one Highlander.

Seriously though, the next two films are..I can't really call them incompetent, they're well made professional efforts with solid casts, good production values and usually excellent directors, they're just somehow....wrong.

I think most of my problems are with Alien3 rather than Resurrection.
    Resurrection is sort of a goofy take on a series that was already soiled by the previous attempt.
    Alien3 was just stupid for reasons I will complain about after this spoiler break..

( Click to show/hide )

Right, So in Alien3, there was an alien egg on the Sulaco that infected Ripley. (More than one? Whatever caused the crash)?

Not buying it. The only alien activity on that ship was the queen who pops out and hugs Bishop to death at the end of the movie.
    Any eggs are in that hangar area, unless the queen pops out of the dropship, stealthily ninjas to another area, squeezes out a few eggs (although we did leave the egg sac back on the recently nuked LV426) , ninjas back to dropship then jumps out and goes "Surprise bitches" !!

Lets suspend disbelief for a bit and assume that, yes, this is exactly what happened.
    You've seen Aliens, the Ripley in that film is a deeply suspicious, cautious individual with a genuine fear of being eaten by banana headed space monsters.
    By the end of Aliens she's a suspicious, cautious , recently traumatised individual with access to a vast arsenal of flamethrowers, nukes, guns, pointy sticks, chainsaws etc.

Am I expected to believe that Ripley wouldn't at least have a quick check for evil spacemonster eggs before going off for a nap?
    I think she would probably acquire all the flamethrowers, motion trackers and machine guns then check that ship quite carefully for Aliens.
    Then she'd drink more space coffee.
    Then she'd do it again.

Eventually she'd take the freezer tubes, adequate supplies and a ridiculous amount of weaponry into a small easily defensible area and weld the doors shut. She might also have a look around and see if they have more of those nifty automated sentry guns, they look useful.. (two dropships = two apcs = yeah, they probably do.)

At least that's what the Ripley from the first two movies would do.

Sorry Alien3, "everyone got suddenly stupid" is not a good plot device..

Last edited by Flake; January 31st, 2013 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Sorry Alien3, "everyone got suddenly stupid" is not a good plot device..

Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    one Highlander.
    Heh. I just watched that today! Damn, how did they mess it up so bad!?

I know all about the Quickening and The Source, but I never watched the original to understand all the hate.

Having watched the original, I can also see why it has fans as well (It's ok in my opinion), and now I can see just how awful the sequels really are. What the hell happened?

The only thing I can complain about in the movie is the romance with the forensic scientist, when the backstory was all about how bad it sucks to be immortal when everyone you love grows old and dies around you. It was obviously gonna happen from the get go, but I couldn't buy it. It was just so she can get kidnapped and make the showdown between McCloud and the Kurgan more urgent. It's just thrown in there, but whatever.

Here's something funny. In my first year at SCAD (2008) I had a storyboarding assignment that used some version of the script for the final scene of the movie. At that point I only knew three things about Highlander, it's from the 80's, dudes fight with swords, and there can only be one. So in my poorly drawn boards the Kurgan was some crocodile faced dude (he's called THE Kurgan, I had no idea what the hell that meant; and hell, having now heard the Kurgan's voice, he COULD have been a crocodile man if it were that kind of movie), and the quickening was just going Super Sayain.

Only today did I finally watch the first movie after years of laughing my ass off at internet reviewers tearing apart the sequels, which I only saw long after that assignment.

Last edited by Psychotime; January 31st, 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    The worst part of alien number three to me is how it completely ruins the ending of the second movie. Ripley manages to save the little girl and finally finds a guy whom she can trust. But then... Sorry, didn't happen! Worst plot twist ever.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    The only alien movie I'm into is alien 2. I know I'll sound like a pussy for saying this, but the aliens are too gross.They make me a little sick.

Thanks
    Alien 3 is a great example of a movie that shouldn´t have been made. It was obviously hacked in and half assed, they probably had enough money invested already to not want to scrap the project completely or rework it from scratch. It totally killed a franchise that still had potential before its time came due. I don´t even blame David Fincher completely, it probably would have been a mistake for anyone to get involved in that mess of a movie.

I´ve been watching Ingmar Bergman and the Coen bros movies lately. The virgin spring and hour of the wolf are brutal, the mood is heavy as hell but still keeps you interested. Trough a Glass Darkly and Winter Light drag a lot, they are very slow movies but once its done it just sticks with you.

I absolutely loved Barton Fink genius ending and performace from John Goodman. Its not an easy task to do something so dark and deppresing yet compeling.

Also recommend Los Olvidados from Luis Buñuel. El Infierno and La ley de Herodes from Luis Estrada were also pretty good, both are very similar, liked the former one better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Maybe they could only do it with the android who bleeds milk. I mean, movies like Robocop and Taxi Driver had to cut out or edit some of their violence in order to pass for an R rating. Must have been the case here. Do any fans know? Is it a deleted scene?
    Ha you're all so young, I saw 'Aliens' at the cinema when it was first released!
    Bishop was ripped in two, it's always been in the film.

As for Burke - there was a scene that was cut - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zCnKbKr7eI - its pretty poor quality though - she hands him a grenade if you can't make it out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Bishop was ripped in two, it's always been in the film.
    ...Ok? I think you misunderstood something I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    As for Burke - there was a scene that was cut - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zCnKbKr7eI - its pretty poor quality though - she hands him a grenade if you can't make it out.
    C'mon! They cut out a 20 second scene? At least it's something.

When I think about it, having that scene exactly before Ripley finds Newt would call into question whether she was impregnated or not by the time Ripley gets there. I think it might have been a good move to get rid of it, because we aren't supposed to doubt that Ripley saved her in time.

Last edited by Psychotime; February 2nd, 2013 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks
    Beasts of the southern wild was unpleasant, all the shots looked bad and the camera work gave me nausea. As for the movie itself, i was yawning all the way, felt uninteresting mostly.
    word of mouth failed me, this just wasn´t for me.

Last edited by JDSart; February 1st, 2013 at 09:03 PM.

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3