Just Watched - Page 24
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: Just Watched

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The Room is absolutely amazing. Everyone needs to watch it at least three times.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Ok, finished A Clockwork Orange.

It was just boring. Maybe it's because I might have watched the uncut version, but there are way too many scenes that drag on for way too long and just waste time.

Honestly the entire movie felt like waste of time.

So, no. I still didn't like it.

I love how your key criticism is that it felt like a waste of time. This is a film where the three way sex scene is shown in super fast forward. Your attention span is so stunted by instant gratification you cant even watch a movie about a guys who's attention span is so stunted by instant gratification he has to have his eyes clamped open to watch a movie. Thats funny!

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; October 18th, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished the first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad. My god, the tension in that show nearly kills me.
    I'm hooked.

Feel like kicking some artistic butt this year?
    Come check out the new subforum
    Beginners Challenges and Activities

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    I love how your key criticism is that it felt like a waste of time. This is a film where the three way sex scene is shown in super fast forward. Your attention span is so stunted by instant gratification you cant even watch a movie about a guys who's attention span is so stunted by instant gratification he has to have his eyes clamped open to watch a movie. Thats funny!
    I'm not sure if you're serious or not.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Idle-Elk View Post
    Just finished the first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad. My god, the tension in that show nearly kills me.
    I'm hooked.
    Aw yeah. Season 4 is a real doozy, I tell ya.

Anyway, more Ramsay!

Last edited by Psychotime; October 18th, 2012 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Game of Thrones, episode 1.

Sketchbook

Naidy • Black Spot • Eyestrain • VK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Watched some more Young Justice. Kinda upset with Cartoon Network pulling the DC nation block considering that Young Justice is one of my favorite DC shows airing currently. I even liked the Green Lantern one even though I generally prefer 2d animation vs 3d and not a real Green Lantern (history/comics) fan.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quiz Show. Dir Robert Redford.

Pretty excellent movie I have to say. I watched about 10 movies in the last 3 days while working and this stood head and shoulders over the others. A ruthless study of corruption, men selling their souls little by little. A bit stagy at times at the start, but fucking relentless by the end. Kind of The Great Gatsby vs Glengarry Glen Ross.
    Highly recommended.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/quiz_show/

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Started watching The Tick. I remember the intro from my childhood, but I don't remember anything else from the series, it was those that flew over my little kid head back then.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want a hilariously bad slasher film, check out Daddy's Girl. About an adopted kid who goes around killing everyone she thinks is coming between her and her father. The only character with any sense and suspicion about the whole thing is the kid's older cousin who moved in because it's closer to her college, at least I think that was why. She's too late to actually stop the kid's murder spree, but she does investigate the kid's background, her birth parents, and the previous foster family she was with that had a mysterious death before child services took the kid away.

Somehow it has an R rating, and yet there's barely any blood and next to zero language, and the violence is so tame. The most it ever gets is someone getting hit in the head (once) with a meat tenderizer (offscreen). I think the only reason the movie earned an R rating was because the serial killer was a kid. Whatever, I guess it makes sense.

The kills in this movie are hilarious, and the kid spouts HORRIBLE one-liners after each one. It's so worth it just for the scene where she kills her principal with a bookshelf.

It appears to be pretty obscure, but instant Netflix has it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116003/

Speaking of Netflix...I just noticed this.

Holy shit, Epic Beard Man, the movie. Starring Danny Trejo. I WILL watch this.

And it's got Ron Perlman, too! Oh man, I can't stop laughing.

EDIT:Thought I'd watch a recent "horror" movie. So I watched Insidious. It was a movie. There was nothing memorable about it, but it was a movie. Nothing but weak jump scares.

Last edited by Psychotime; October 22nd, 2012 at 03:22 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first five parts of Broken Saints- Poorly written, poorly directed, pretentious, the symbolism is tacked on and unnecessary, and just plain boring. Plus, am I the only person who has a disdain towards motion comics?

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't get the point of motion comics. Wouldn't I just read the comic?

I don't know, I'm just picky.

It's weird as hell to find a bunch of them on Netflix, too. They used to put them in the anime section, but they fixed the mistake a few months later.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Finding Neverland

Lovely, its the kind of thing you would get recommended to watch in a class about cinema, everything is spot on, done beautifully.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally seen most of Game of Thrones S2. Good stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just watched Rashomon. It was ok. Man, they weren't kidding about Kurosawa's cinematography, were they?

I'll check out Seven Samurai, next. Been really procrastinating on that one.

EDIT: God damn, 207 minutes? Bleh. Maybe some other day. I'm not up to watching a 3 1/2 hour long movie at the moment.

Last edited by Psychotime; October 23rd, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't finished it yet barely even 5 minutes into it but the Secret World of Arietty the final Studio Ghibli film is just beautiful...... might be among their best so far quality wise from what I'm looking at. Every frame I want to pause and just look at it all.....

Good lord dat grass, those leaves...

Edit: Just finished. Great movie. Gorgeous.

Last edited by JFierce; October 24th, 2012 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished Full Metal Jacket. Not much for war movies, but I liked it enough. The only thing that bugs me is that the second half is basically aimless, but clearly that was the point. It wasn't boring, but I'm a little disappointed that Joker's story doesn't go anywhere after he completes training. We can just assume he's gonna have nightmares for the rest of his life for what he had to do at the end.

I GUESS maybe it was just Joker going from reporter to finally experiencing what it's like in the line of fire? It never felt like a character arc, to me. If it were a character like Pyle (given he got this far), then I'd say yes.

The first half of the movie with Vincent D'Onofrio and R. Lee Ermey is still amazing though, and admittedly it was the only part of the movie I ever bothered to watch until today.

So yeah, a Kubrick movie I like enough.

Was every Vietnam movie REQUIRED to have a bunch of licensed songs? I feel like watching Predator now just to hear some Little Richard!

Last edited by Psychotime; October 24th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished the original Scarface (1932).

It was a ton of fun. Finally a gangster movie with Tommy Guns! I had to watch 4 movies to finally get that, but man do they go all out with it! If you want a gangster movie with tons of drive bys, car chases, and shootouts, this is your movie!

With so much sensational violence, the movie feels like it has to be VERY unsubtle about the message it's trying to get across that real life violence is bad (Naw, really? I never would have guessed!) and how much trouble this causes for everyone in the crossfire (There's a scene where a woman's window gets accidentally smashed by a loose barrel of beer that falls off a truck, but other than that it's only SAID that civilians are being hurt in the crossfire). There are too many scenes and too many lines that I think are too on the nose about it. It's just me. I find that kind of stuff a little insulting.

If you're going to show the reality, show the reality! Don't make adrenaline-pumping, pulse-pounding, sensational action and then wag your finger at us for being entertained by it. There's seriously a scene where a cop complains about how movies glamorize the mobster and how it's part of the problem. That's ridiculous!

One thing I find really interesting about this movie is that the script intentionally makes the protagonist Tony Montana Camonte seem likeable for the majority of the movie, certainly not a saint, but legitimately likeable! Only near the end do we really see his true colors. Paul Muni is really good but I think the actor's only part of the equation.

(This line in particular was awesome. He sounds like a kid who found an awesome new toy he wants to show his friend, and that's essentially what this scene is! He had just escaped a drive by shooting unscathed, and is so enamored with the new weapon his attempted assailants used against him that he just has to show everyone. He never even uses the gun!)

It's nothing like the other three gangster movies I've watched, where the protagonist is clearly a power hungry or backstabbing monster from the get go (done well in The Public Enemy, done horribly in Dillinger).

And the way they do this is sparingly actually SHOW Tony commit his crimes! If he's on camera during a shoot out, it's because he's the one taking cover from a drive by shooting! Most of the time he's chatting it up with his girlfriend or having to deal with his goofball assistant.

Until near the end, the only bad things you ever see Tony do on camera is rough up crooked bar owners and other gangsters. I can't remember ever seeing him actually murder anyone on camera (meaning you see the victim get shot but you never see the shooter), despite the fact that you KNOW it's Tony. And at least for me, the disconnect makes a strange rift between his public persona and his gangster one. It's very interesting.

But then once we see the issue with his sister (Seriously, what the hell is his problem? Scratch that, I don't wanna know. I think the incestuous undertones are WORSE in the original than they are in the remake) we finally get to see Tony for what he really is, and prepare for his downfall.

Yeah, this is a good movie.

Near the end I finally noticed a "X" motif that constantly appears. Cool.

Oh, and Boris Carloff is in this movie, too! He's a minor character, but still, Boris Carloff. He's apparently a good bowler, heh.

Now I guess I have to watch the remake soon. Haven't seen that since I was a kid.

dpaint is online now Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just started Alias on Netflix streaming, I never saw when it first ran on TV, I think because I was watching West Wing. Anyway I've seen the first ten episodes and I'm really enjoying it for the most part. I like the little SF thread they've woven into it to separate it from just being another spy show. The character is a little inconsistent but the production values are very high for a TV show. I haven't been a big fan of Abrams, hate most of his movies and other shows, except Super 8. I think he should rot in hell for what he's doing to Star Trek.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For a change of pace, I checked out The Untouchables. Not bad. It needed alot more characterization, but it wasn't a bad sit.

Hey, Scarface (1932), you see the early scene where the little girl gets blown up from a bomb in a briefcase? THAT'S how you show how horrible gang violence is. Then show the bribery, the intimidation, and the murders, and that just helps establish the kind of monsters these criminals are.

Sean Connery's charming as always, but I think DeNiro is a bad fit for Capone. I know I've just watched a couple movies where different actors play expies of the guy, but that's just it. They play SUBSTITUTES for the real person (who'd watch the movies himself and admit to liking a few of them).

Paul Muni's great in the original Scarface, but he wouldn't fit as Capone. He fits perfectly fine as a character BASED on Capone named Tony Camonte. Tony has a scar on his face that he pretends to have gotten in WWI, and commited the St. Valentines Day Massacre, but he's not Al Capone.

Edward G. Robinson...ok he talks funny, but he actually looks a bit like Capone. I'd buy it if it were him. (Speaking of which...)

Anyway, DeNiro is just not right in my eyes. I'm sorry, he just doesn't work for me. I just see him as "evil mob boss".

I find it amusing how the answer to how they get Capone is right in front of their faces the entire time with the dorky accountant, and yet they keep brushing him off for the first half of the movie. Each time he pops up to show how they can get the guy on tax evasion, the other characters ignore him, as if to say, "Shut up, nerd!"

My favorite scene had to be at the train station, where it ends with the heroes rescuing a baby while taking out criminals at the same time, in slow motion. That was great!

One more thing, I HATE the score to this movie. It's not BAD, it's just hammy music that takes me right out of the film! And even worse, some of it sounds like the kind of stuff you'd hear inbetween scenes of a late 80's/early 90's sitcom. Maybe if it were an 80's crime movie that takes place IN the 80's, then...

No no, it STILL wouldn't work. This music sounds like it belongs in a fantasy movie or something.

Now to nitpicking!

I don't pick on acting often, but Kevin Coster's not all that convincing in some of his scenes. "God damn!" Is he trying to sound like a Tom Hanks impersonator in some of his lines? Because that's what it felt like, to me.

I don't remember ever hearing an Amos and Andy broadcast with a laugh track. I'm gonna guess that they took from one of the later seasons, maybe around the 50's? Given the gag in the scene, it was clearly made for radio.

EDIT: Holy crap! I just remembered that a few weeks ago I watched The Happening, and it was SO unremarkable that I forgot all about it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just watched Miller's Crossing. Decent. I had to rewatch a good amount of scenes in order to understand what the hell the protagonist was saying, though.

I don't have much to say, honestly. Outside of I don't like the score in THIS one, either. It may be decent, but it didn't leave much of an impression on me.

What the hell was Caspar's deal? The dude read alot of Shonen Jump? What's this mess about "friendship, character, ethics"?

Funny seeing Steve Buscemi play another annoying worm. Is there a movie where he DOESN'T play that type of character?

Last edited by Psychotime; October 29th, 2012 at 02:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watching Walking Dead Season 3. They are definitely making up for the grinding halt season 2 took.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Just watched Miller's Crossing. Decent. I had to rewatch a good amount of scenes in order to understand what the hell the protagonist was saying, though.

I don't have much to say, honestly. Outside of I don't like the score in THIS one, either. It may be decent, but it didn't leave much of an impression on me.

What the hell was Caspar's deal? The dude read alot of Shonen Jump? What's this mess about "friendship, character, ethics"?

Funny seeing Steve Buscemi play another annoying worm. Is there a movie where he DOESN'T play that type of character?
    Well, its not a movie, but he was part of the Sopranos crew in season 5. He was pretty badass.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boardwalk Empire?

"Just finished Full Metal Jacket. Not much for war movies, but I liked it enough. The only thing that bugs me is that the second half is basically aimless, but clearly that was the point. It wasn't boring, but I'm a little disappointed that Joker's story doesn't go anywhere after he completes training"

Jesus can you just stop watching these Kubrick movies and writing these moronic 'reviews' about how boring they are? Half the film seems aimless to you because you only see about half the movie. I dont mean you turn it off half way through I mean its like you are incapable of comprehending anything beyond the surface detail, and from the way you discribe it you dont see much of that. idiot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You hate when people have opinions, don't you?

If I like a movie, I like it. If I misjudge a movie (which I have from time to time), I'll admit it. If I dislike a movie, I dislike it.

You've really been pegged in my mind as one of two things; a person who thinks there are things everyone's "supposed" to like, and if person shows up and doesn't follow suit, they must be lying for attention. Or alternatively, you're the kind of fanboy who gets insulted when people don't like the same things you do.

Different people like different things. I thought the first half of Fullmetal Jacket was great, and was disappointed how Joker's story didn't go anywhere afterward. Is that difficult to understand?

A Clockwork Orange dragged with the bonus of pointless scenes and had a shoddy ending that forces itself to avoid being "optimistic" by being outlandish. Is that hard to grasp?

Tell me why I'm SUPPOSED to like them, then. I'd gladly discuss them. That's always fun.

Last edited by Psychotime; October 30th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I thought the first half of Fullmetal Jacket was great, and was disappointed how Joker's story didn't go anywhere afterward."

Im not saying youre supposed to like anything. Im saying those movies are wasted on you. Ignoring all the symbolism and reference and aesthetics that flew past you, the fact that you think the main character going into a war doesnt represent a significant event on their arc, or that a movie darkly satirising amongst other things sensation-saturated imagination-starved youth is boring, means you are literally missing half the film. From such a profoundly impoverished point of view, I guess the movies do seem dull.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ignoring all the symbolism and reference and aesthetics that flew past you
    Just because it exists doesn't change anything. Just because I didn't care doesn't mean I didn't catch the theme of dehumanization throughout the whole film. It was all about the theme and nothing else. The characters and story play second banana to a message that isn't the least bit profound or original.

I recognized that the aimlessness of the second half was the entire point of it. It plays with the theme. But that doesn't excuse anything.

You can't possibly tell me that the idea that war is a horrible thing for everyone involved was somehow alien to you before you saw this movie.

It's a good theme that I agree with (the main reason I DON'T watch many war films), but just because that was the entire point of the movie doesn't mean I like it AS A MOVIE. Neither am I required to. (Which you seem to keep implying.)

the fact that you think the main character going into a war doesnt represent a significant event on their arc
    Joker going into the front lines isn't much of a step for him. The first half of the movie ESTABLISHED that he was perfectly prepared for war from day one, and Pyle was the polar opposite. As I said before, if it was about a character like Pyle, it would have been a significant enough step for him. Joker knew what he was getting into, knew what to expect, and did everything he was supposed to do without a screw up on his part. There was no indication that his character had changed through the entire movie! Not even the incident with Pyle appeared to have any real affect on him in the long run!

That scene was so hackneyed and hammy that it's insulting. Pretentiousness at it's best.

By the way, I never said Full Metal Jacket was boring. I said A Clockwork Orange was boring. Pay attention. You bothered to semi-quote me and yet you didn't catch the word order. Let's get to that one, too! you know you want to!

Anyway, two days ago I Some Like it Hot (1959), a buddy comedy about two down on their luck Chicago musicians who end up running for their lives from Rinaldo from Scarface (who has the world's ugliest squad of goons, including Edward G. Robinson's son) after they become witnesses to the St Valentine's Day Massacre (did I mention this was a comedy?), leave for Florida wearing drag to hide out in an all women band, and make friends with Marilyn Monroe as they escape the mob.

All about that Okama Way! All day, every day!

You know exactly how this goes: Every random dude they meet is oddly attracted to them and they put up with sexual harassment; one of the guys wants to get with Marilyn, but the other has to keep him in line so as not to blow their cover, and their escape plan gets held up because of it. And somehow the mob boss takes a vacation at the resort they're staying, so they still end up in danger.

The movie REALLY drags at parts. There's whole 30 minutes straight of this 2 hour long movie that could have been removed, but it thankfully picks up in the last half hour.

Ok movie, despite a few issues. Marilyn was sympathetic enough despite her occasional iffy expressions. I never thought Marilyn Monroe was particularly attractive, but my opinion changed after watching this movie. I can see why she was so popular in her day.

It also gets points for making a quick shout out to The Public Enemy. There's a reference that'd fly over everyone's head now.

And now I learn that this movie is considered one of, if not THE, greatest comedy of all time? With a bunch of Oscar nominations to it's name? I'm glad I didn't know that beforehand, because that's the last thing I'd have imagined for this movie. I wouldn't have even thought this movie would make a top 20 spot.

Whatever, that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Well, its not a movie, but he was part of the Sopranos crew in season 5. He was pretty badass.
    I find it funny how the Buscemi was a firefighter in real life, and yet when I think about his movie roles I automatically think of a slimy coward with a big mouth. I don't mind it when he plays those roles, because he does look the part. It's just funny how the real person is nothing like that at all. Being a firefighter is no joke. Heck, BECOMING a firefighter is no joke.

Last edited by Psychotime; October 31st, 2012 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watched another ep of Once Upon a Time. It is interesting how it is about moral choices which was a central theme in a lot of fairy tales. Despite needing a bit more budget for set and special effects and some of the "Family oriented" push I do like how they have the characters a little more complex than just an "evil stepmother" and "cackling villains"

I really enjoyed Episode 3 of Walking Dead season 3 which helped contrast 2 different styles of leadership. However, this image macro did make me lol because I didn't even notice it!

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...60182055_n.jpg

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe the zombies got a little too hungry waiting for fresh meat and took to something else to curb the hunger pains.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    God dammit now I won't be able to not see that in the show.

Ummm..... maybe .... when the zombies can't eat people.... .... they .... eat grass.....

Last edited by JFierce; October 31st, 2012 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is Halloween!

Watch Evil Dead and Hausu then trip badly on half a pound of sugar. Its the law.

waking up naked, smelling like cheap plastic and with a pentagram carved in one of your buttcheeks totally optional, but theres a plan!

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 21