Just Watched - Page 22
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: Just Watched

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Naw of course they had to. It's just funny how FMA was so popular that they just straight up made another series even longer than the first one. It's quite rare when that's done. Usually it's an OVA or something short if it's a remake.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I watched all of Game of Thrones season 1 and 2 in around four days, I was off of school. And man I don't regret all those hours I spent on it.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Going through the last season of Code Lyoko. Basically couldn't like actually sit and watch them unless it sounded like something interesting was going on.

Season 4 was better of course...but they did something at the end of 3 that made it interesting. Problem is, it's still a lot of filler episodes.

It's irritating because it's like the problem Psychotime touched on with anime. When anime is based off a manga, you often get problems of Filler episodes, like Dragonball z and Sailor Moon or it veers off.

Code Lyoko is its own show...so at this day and age there's less need for "monster attack of the week".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was watching the undubbed version of Sailor Moon (with subtitles I might add) in who knows how many years
    ( Click to show/hide )
    and looking at many of the unreleased episodes; S1 E2 had a really funny moment involving Umino upskirting Ms Haruna.
    As for what I saw of Sailor Stars, wasn't as good as the previous seasons due to the lack of the supporting cast. However, I understand that they were focusing on the overall story, just not as engaging. By the way, what do people think of the Japanese live-action series?

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all,

I was wondering and i thought i'd ask u guys here.. Does watching anime series adds/contributes to your imagination and improves your drawing skills or broaden your views to different parts of a character/environment or even the appearance of a scene?

i stopped watching anime series since around 1998, and my drawing sucks. and i thought this might be 1 reason why i'm not improving?

your comments please.

thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSeraph View Post
    I was watching the undubbed version of Sailor Moon (with subtitles I might add) in who knows how many years
    ( Click to show/hide )
    and looking at many of the unreleased episodes; S1 E2 had a really funny moment involving Umino upskirting Ms Haruna.
    As for what I saw of Sailor Stars, wasn't as good as the previous seasons due to the lack of the supporting cast. However, I understand that they were focusing on the overall story, just not as engaging. By the way, what do people think of the Japanese live-action series?
    Another one on my list. I saw a little bit of the live action series (because my favorite tokusatsu writer was involved), and it's an odd one, that's for sure.

Some of it is just awkward: Tuxedo Kamen looks like a creepy stalker (well, he ALWAYS did, but in this it's even worse). The constant accidental panty shots really call attention to how ridiculous their costumes are, regardless of how iconic they may be. And Luna is literally a stuffed animal sometimes rendered in CG when it moves (or god help you, becomes a hand puppet).

I guess the last one makes sense for alot of reasons, so I can't really knock it. If anything, the CG in that show's better than in Kamen Rider Blade. And that came out in 2004.

I like seeing the main villain ham it up, though (she's not as awesome as Hikaru Yamamoto, but then again, no one is. Yamamoto doesn't chew scenery, SHE DEVOURS THE ENTIRE SET). And Usagi's mother is fun, too. It's one thing I love about this genre.

There's also a villian in it that looks like...

( Click to show/hide )

A little aside, I'm probably the only person to find this funny (not the first time), but Kenji Urai was once casted as Tuxedo Kamen for the Sailor Moon musicals, and is the third longest running Tuxedo Kamen in general.

Damn, all the crap I say about Tuxedo Kamen looking like a stalker got worse. I can't see that dude's face without imagining him incinerating dozens of people inside of their own cars with a simple wave of his hand. I'm such a nerd.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Kenji Urai played the human form of N-Daguva-Zeba, the final enemy from Kamen Rider Kuuga, so essentially the self-made king of a race of super powered serial killers.

Probably only one other member on this site has any idea what I'm talking about. To them I gotta say that N-Daguva-Zeba was simplistic, but I think he was pretty effective for what we saw of him. He stuck with me, at least. He makes me think of Johan Liebert from Monster.

Quote Originally Posted by maXmood View Post
    Hi all,

I was wondering and i thought i'd ask u guys here.. Does watching anime series adds/contributes to your imagination and improves your drawing skills or broaden your views to different parts of a character/environment or even the appearance of a scene?

i stopped watching anime series since around 1998, and my drawing sucks. and i thought this might be 1 reason why i'm not improving?

your comments please.

thanks
    Huh? That's basically saying that all anime fans automatically can draw well, and we all know how untrue that is.

What you need to do is know how DRAWING and ANIMATION both work on their own, and then watch how others do it. Observing something with next to no idea of how it actually works isn't going to do anything for you. It's the same thing every layman does.

Last edited by Psychotime; September 19th, 2012 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just watched prometheus. I wasn't expecting much since I've heard it kinda sucked... But I quite liked it, after all. I mean, if you start picking it apart not a whole lot of stuff made much sense... But as a fun space mystery with some creepy aliens in it, and lots of gorgeous CGI it was pretty nice.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just the other day, I watched John Carpenter's The Thing again... I never get sick of that film. Probably my favorite horror movie of all time... lots of creepy, disgusting creature designs and transformations, and a very generous dose of paranoia. Add in a soundtrack by Ennio Morricone and some really awesome cinematography, and it's a great watch.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus09 View Post
    Just the other day, I watched John Carpenter's The Thing again... I never get sick of that film. Probably my favorite horror movie of all time... lots of creepy, disgusting creature designs and transformations, and a very generous dose of paranoia. Add in a soundtrack by Ennio Morricone and some really awesome cinematography, and it's a great watch.
    I love The Thing. It makes me miss practical effects when you see too many do tack on silly CG. It's not that CG can't be good...but there's something great and creepy about those old school effects that will haunt you in your nightmares.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post

Huh? That's basically saying that all anime fans automatically can draw well, and we all know how untrue that is.

What you need to do is know how DRAWING and ANIMATION both work on their own, and then watch how others do it. Observing something with next to no idea of how it actually works isn't going to do anything for you. It's the same thing every layman does.
    That's not what i meant exactly..

question is, if u do watch anime, does the characters/objects/movements/enviroment broaden your view on how things are suppose to look like or how to form them, or even how a certain style is made and made of what (attention to details), thus increasing your knowledge when drawing a line or blending colors etc?

a simpler question, does "close observation" of anime series/movies increases your knowledge on form, lines, color blending, etc?

hope it makes more sense now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 777 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Funny, I just watched The Thing the other day too! I'd never seen it before and quite liked it. Though I have to say, the best part was when Kurt Russell poured his whiskey into the computer, I just about died laughing.

I also just watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time. I heard it was boring, but I personally thought it was riveting - for the epic visuals and the curious character arch that Lawrence undergoes. I kind of wonder if the Dances with Wolves plot template (used also by The Last Samurai and Avatar) used Lawrence as an inspiration, because superficially they seem quite similar. Now I really want to read the memoirs the movie was based on, but I'm not sure which version to choose..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by maXmood View Post
    That's not what i meant exactly..

question is, if u do watch anime, does the characters/objects/movements/enviroment broaden your view on how things are suppose to look like or how to form them, or even how a certain style is made and made of what (attention to details), thus increasing your knowledge when drawing a line or blending colors etc?

a simpler question, does "close observation" of anime series/movies increases your knowledge on form, lines, color blending, etc?

hope it makes more sense now.
    No, that's what life drawing is for.

Anyway, Kamen Rider Wizard just debuted a few weeks ago, and I don't like it. Looks like we finally got that season where I don't give a damn. The sad part about it is that this is the season where the Rider Chips do ending themes again. They've been missing from the franchise since Kabuto, if memory serves!

The set up, the characters, the designs, nothing is interesting about Wizard.

The wormy sidekick in particular is JUST as annoying as I hoped he wouldn't be. As far as wormy sidekicks go (Kamen Rider's been pretty good about them till now), I was hoping he'd be more like Kikuchi from 555 (the best wormy sidekick in the series). And if he had to be annoying and useless, at least no more than Kotaro from Blade. But no, he's just pure annoyance and nothing else.

Last edited by Psychotime; September 20th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just finished watching all three seasons of Deadwood. It has a terrible blue ball formula. That show can ratchet up suspense, but doesn't pay off at the end of the long story arch. I kept wanting to see what would happen next and then nothing followed through.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought I'd check out Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. Ramsay goes around Britain trying to whip local restaurants into shape in a week's time.

And yes, there is lots of verbal abuse. Can't have Gordon without verbal abuse.

Last edited by Psychotime; September 22nd, 2012 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm surprised that no one has spoofed Ramsay yet. Anyways, I'm currently watching Barry Purves' Screen Play. Damn, this is an excellent example of story-driven animation.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just saw The Master tonight. It was a great movie. Great acting, cinematography and music. The only problem was the complete disregard for plot. But that doesn't matter. I laughed throughout half the movie and yet it still held serious drama. Here's an extended scene from the movie. They didn't take it this far, but it's still a funny scene.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; September 25th, 2012 at 04:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an odd request! Does anyone know of a series (animated, live action, doesn't matter) that has a decent voice for an angry bratty girl (that ISN'T annoying as hell)? I'm trying to find some dialogue to animate to (trying to get some practice in because I've got free time).

This can also help me with a character design that I'm currently on the fence about, because I'm not 100% sure how I'd approach their mouth movements, and this will force me to do that.

The only thing that comes to mind is Cats Don't Dance, which I haven't seen in YEARS, but it'd be even cooler to up the difficulty even more with a voice from a Japanese cartoon...That's an awful idea, isn't it?

Moving on, took a few delays (and incompetence) but I finally got cable installed. Now I can watch all the stuff people keep talking about that I can't get from Netflix!

There was a block of Gordon Ramsey on BBC America, so I tuned in and just let the tv run in the background.

I managed to catch the last few minutes of a Dr. Who rerun. It involved the Doctor and his crew escaping some underground (?) colony under a desert with the help of a bunch of aliens with big Fly heads. Then they needed to use gold objects to power the machine to get back to their own world and the female lead reluctantly sacrificed the Holy Grail...this is a weird show, man.

After Chef Ramsey I checked out Law and Order UK (Had no idea that even existed until today) and...what the hell is up with the lawyers wearing wigs in the courtroom? I had to look again to make sure this wasn't a gag, but no, apparently that's how they do things over there.

Wow. Any other time I'd assume it was a nationalist stereotype joke that doesn't actually exist.

The lawyer is questioning a defendant while wearing that thing as if it's nothing strange at all. It's not even a wig, it's a...THING that covers part of their head. Whatever it is, it's hard to take the murder trial seriously when all the lawyers wear them.

Anyway, I don't like it. None of the detectives are interesting, which is the reason I watch crime shows. They don't even use the Law and Order theme! How do you do that! Bah, if I want Law and Order I'll just watch the American ones. They're all better.

Last edited by Psychotime; September 27th, 2012 at 07:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tsundere

Probably the only term you need to search for the angry bratty girl thing. The only thing with japanese anime to study from is it wasn't meant for English in the animation. The voice actors and dubbing companies often just do great work (depending on the series) working around the existing film.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's EXTREMELY rare for Japanese cartoons to have actual lip sync. The only one I can think of is Akira.

The shortcut Japanese cartoons always uses is the quick mouthflaps, and unlike western cartoons, they usually ANIMATE the scenes first, THEN the voice actors dub over it! It's so strange.

But yeah, going with something from a Japanese show also means I can't "cheat" and copy the lip sync, even subconsciously. With so much limited animation in Japanese cartoons, there's enough room to force me to think up something on my own.

I know if I swipe some audio from a Western cartoon with a moderate budget, I'm usually gonna have the way the scene was really done stuck in the back of my head no matter what I try to do with the audio.

Last edited by Psychotime; September 27th, 2012 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    tsundere

Probably the only term you need to search for the angry bratty girl thing. The only thing with japanese anime to study from is it wasn't meant for English in the animation. The voice actors and dubbing companies often just do great work (depending on the series) working around the existing film.
    The spanish dubs are usually amazing and in a ton of cases the voice acting is much better than the original.

I mean the latin spanish dubs, not the spanish from Spain which are in fact the worse thing ever.

Full Metal Alchemist characters for example sounds (to me personally) just awfull in japanese compared to the spanish dubs, miles away. But still better that the english dub, more than just the sync of the animation, if the voice doesn´t match the character and attitude it will just seem fake as hell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't watch Fullmetal without it's English voices. I really can't.

The Japanese voices are so...bleh.

Huh. Here's an interesting video.

It shows the Shou Tucker confrontation in Italian, Spanish (Latin America/Venezuela), English, Japanese, and Portuguese (Brazil), in that order.

Sorry, the only one I can buy is the English one. That's just me. Other shows I can look at in other languages, but Fullmetal is a franchise I just like too much.

If we were talking about a different show, then my opinion could go anywhere.

Last edited by Psychotime; September 27th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've come up with a theory that it depends largely on what you watch a series as first. I had a friend that got the box set of full metal (original not remake, this was years ago). It was only Japanese dub. He doesn't like the English dub he prefers the japanese. I watched it in english first and I can't do the opposite.

It's like that with a lot of series I notice. You get attached to the characters with certain voices through the series then when your introduced to something else you think "Nope, that's not them"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That video was a nice comparison.

I think the acting was good in all of those. main difference is the voice tone, thats a subjective one, but my all time favorite will be the venezuelan dub, the actors playing Ed and Alphonse were great. I remember a bigger gap in DBZ or even in Naruto, hearing a non-latin voiced Goku was a big no for me, and in japanese he sounds like a little girl. The Spain versions generally sound like the same guy voicing the entire cast and is sooo heavily accented sometimes. The first episodes of Naruto i saw where in japanese and english, i still liked the latin version that aired on Cartoon Network better, , with Death Note i also saw it in japanese first, but the latin dub was pretty good.

One show i definitely cannot watch in english is The Simpsons, mostly because Humberto Velez, the mexican actor who voiced Homer, did such a genius work with it ( until season 15 when he was cast out) that i can´t really make the connection with another person voicing it, most of the other characters i don´t seem to mind much but when Homer speaks it shows.

Last edited by JDSart; September 27th, 2012 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSart View Post
    Goku was a big no for me, and in japanese he sounds like a little girl.
    Oh...You don't know!? Goku is voiced by a woman. Masako Nozawa, who Toriyama himself handpicked. The thing is, Dragonball starts off with Goku as a little kid (most worldwide viewers are unaware that Dragonball Z was a sequel series), and naturally they had a woman do the little boy's voice. Goku eventually grows up as the show goes on, but the Japanese fans are so loyal to her that they didn't want anyone to replace her, and the creators obliged.

So in Japan Goku's always had the same woman voicing him, and always will unless she decides to retire from the role.

Nozawa actually had a reputation for voicing male characters, though these days she mostly does voices for elderly women.

Krillin is voiced by a woman as well, Mayumi Tanaka. Right now she's the voice of Luffy from One Piece. That's not much of a stretch though, because in the states he's also voiced by a woman.

Speaking of Dragonball, that new movie's actually getting a little bit of funding by the Japanese government. If you find this strange, you must not know how HUGE Dragonball was, not only in Japan, but worldwide. This move seems to have the economy in mind.

A little aside, but did you know that the Japanese government covers 70% of their citizen's health care bills? As an American I find that awesome.

Anyway, in the case of Dragonball and voices, I love the Funimation dub, but I can tolerate the Japanese just fine.

Currently watching a couple episodes of that live action Hercules show. I was gonna check out Xena first, but Herc was on TV so I thought I'd tune in. I haven't watched either since I was a kid, but Hercules is what I expected. I was surprised to see that Herc's wormy sidekick could actually hold his own in a fight. Given all the comic relief he does forgive me for thinking he was baggage.

Does anyone remember that animated crossover they did?

Oh man, speaking of childhood, I gotta find out when that new Ninja Turtles cartoon plays. I personally don't like the designs, but I have to give it a chance before I say anything else. As long as the writers aren't the same jackasses who wrote Turtles Forever.

Last edited by Psychotime; September 28th, 2012 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's fairly common in Japanese voice acting for women to play male roles. Hell a lot of the time I can't tell at all. Japan has some top notch actors.

Back when I used to watch/read bleach ages ago before it went to shit
    I never knew Hitsugaya's voice was a girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVTIuYOgHII

Edit: Hell I didn't know until I just looked it up that Luffy in One Piece was voiced by a female.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really? Luffy should have been obvious.

Seriously, if it's a teenage boy or younger and they have little to no bass in their voice, more often than not it's a woman voicing him. Then again, this is common with American cartoons, as well.

Off the top of my head:

The Elric Bros. (Though Edward's English voice is male, and Alphonse's original English voice was, too, but he couldn't reprise the role for Brotherhood because he went through puberty through the time between both shows.)

Kid Goku
    Luffy
    Naruto

Hitsugaya and Edward Elric have the same voice actress, by the way. In Japan, obviously.

EDIT: Been jumping around here and there, and you know something that bugs me? Why hasn't Disney put out dvds for all of their 90's series, yet? Sure, they have Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Gargoyles, and Ducktales.

But there's no Bonkers, no Goof Troop, not the Aladdin series (yeah, that existed!), Timon and Pumbaa, c'mon! Every single one of those shows is linked with a successful film that they love making special editions up the wazoo already! They'd rather keep the direct to video mess, though. What the hell?

Speaking of which, is it just me or was Jim Cummings playing a lead role in EVERY Disney tv cartoon from the 90's? I'm not complaining, but I wonder what his work schedule had to have looked like in those days.

Last edited by Psychotime; September 28th, 2012 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the latin dub little goku's voice was done by Laura Torres, beautifully i may add but as goku grew so did his voice and was changed logically to that of a male. I didn't knew about the japanese actress in dbz, i just thought it was wrong sounding. Now i know why.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally just never thought about it. Voice just fit the character and it molds the two together.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Finding a decent female voice actor is easier (and cheaper) than hiring a male child one...

It's actually a bit weird when the boy in the english dub of Laputa sounds like a 20 year old man or something.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 20