Just Watched - Page 21

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: Just Watched

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, having watched the second episode of Breaking Bad, this format is much more appropriate than a movie because it's able to expand on plot points and make them more realistic. If this entire story were told as a movie, it'd be extremely compressed and the plot points would lose their impact.

That said, it's basically turned into a black comedy now.

The entire episode is about the two trying to discard the corpses of the two drug dealers that tried to murder them in the last episode, and things get worse when it turns out one of them survived the poison gas Walter had to make on the quick in order to escape.

And then Walter's wife confronts Jessie about marijuana while he's trying to move one of the bodies that started to decay because of sitting in the hot RV for a few days when they took too long to act. Jessie's attempts at making sure Skyler didn't see anything, as well as how stereotypically unhip she is, were both amusing to watch, yo.

And the ending where Walter explains WHY they needed plastic containers, oh man.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,930 Times in 2,383 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Ok, having watched the second episode of Breaking Bad, this format is much more appropriate than a movie because it's able to expand on plot points and make them more realistic. If this entire story were told as a movie, it'd be extremely compressed and the plot points would lose their impact.

That said, it's basically turned into a black comedy now.

The entire episode is about the two trying to discard the corpses of the two drug dealers that tried to murder them in the last episode, and things get worse when it turns out one of them survived the poison gas Walter had to make on the quick in order to escape.

And then Walter's wife confronts Jessie about marijuana while he's trying to move one of the bodies that started to decay because of sitting in the hot RV for a few days when they took too long to act. Jessie's attempts at making sure Skyler didn't see anything, as well as how stereotypically unhip she is, were both amusing to watch, yo.

And the ending where Walter explains WHY they needed plastic containers, oh man.
    Please, no more spoilers as this is in my Netflix queue with Sons of Anarchy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, ok. (I didn't spoil the best scene, though).

I never had much interest in Sons of Anarchy. I know my roommate likes it, though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,930 Times in 2,383 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    The wife and I are big fans as well. The lords mother (Maggie Smith)
    cracks us up. Excellent writing, with some truly likable characters and
    some really vile, but complex, ones.
    I love when they announce her

The Dowager Lady Grantham

Thanks
    Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Re Nolan I thought Inception was a disaster, but loved Following and the Batmans.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I went through alot of Breaking Bad in the last few days. I'm almost at the end of season three at the moment, but I moved all my yapping about it into the appropriate thread.

Anyway, I watched Paper Moon. About a father-daughter team of swindlers traveling around the rural midwest during the 30's. The movie was made in the 70's, but they try to give it a 30's vibe by filming it completely in black and white.

It was ok. I honestly was a bit bored in the early parts, but after a little while I managed to stay interested to the end.

It seems the movie omits a later plotline from the book (Addie Pray) where the two hit the big time by conning a lawyer in New Orleans. Maybe I'll get to reading the book.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 13th, 2012 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've been watching Dexter while drawing. The dialogue is so hammy it would work as a radio play.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guh. Tried to watch The Devil's Double, but I hated it and turned to something else. I don't care if it had some factual basis, I couldn't take anything seriously with all the sleazy "living the life" garbage you'd see on any crappy reality show with a bunch of rich jackasses. I'm not good at describing it what it is that turned me away from it.

It actually took me about a half hour to realize that it took place in the 80's/90's. The only indicators were the historical footage involving Desert Storm.

But the movie I watched instead? Hobo with a Shotgun. Damn, I feel like my IQ went down a notch watching it, and if anyone bothers to note all the crap I watch and have yapped about on this thread, that's saying something.

Crap, I wouldn't even say that about DOLEMITE.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 9th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I saw both of those too.

The Devils Double was pretty meh. Check out House of Saddam.

I am a connoisseur of stupid movies. Dumb movies can be fun. But when they are pointless, they are boring. Hobo with a Shotgun was boring.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Watching Dexter for several hours always puts me in a weird state of mind. Don't even know how to describe it. Also become very aware of the voice in my head (the inner monologue kind, not the insanity kind).

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harry Brown. A 2009 vigilante movie starring Micheal Crane. Yeah.

You want to know what Alfred was doing in the Dark Knight Rises when he basically leaves the movie until the ending? Just watch this movie. It's more fun when you pretend he IS still playing Alfred, because there's no difference in his performance. Seriously, there are bits where the guy recounts a few old war stories like he's speaking to Bruce Wayne.

What happens is Crane plays a veteran who turns vigilante after his wife dies from some disease and a street gang murders his best friend.

It's REALLY cheesy, but it was an ok movie. The thing that really bugs me about it is that the villains are all built up to be the absolute worst human beings possible (a bit graphically in one scene, I might add) just so we can have Micheal Crane kill them quickly.

I'll admit I'm a goody two shoes. I usually enjoy good-natured but fallible protagonists to root for. I love seeing evil characters getting what they deserve by the end. But there's a point where the level of depravity a writer wants to throw on a villain becomes too contrived and absurd to take seriously. This type of thing can bug me when a character's made for sympathy, but with those my tolerance is much higher.

There's also really weak CGI effects for blood and smoke, as opposed to the practical effects film makers have been using for decades. What's the point of crappy unconvincing CG?

One thing that really surprised me about it, though, was that it's an hour and forty minutes long, and I seriously thought the movie was at the halfway point when the credits rolled! I had no idea that much time had passed! I must say that wasn't a satisfying ending.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 13th, 2012 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just watched Dark Knight Rises for my Birthday.

Ok...yeah... while a good popcorn flick there were some glaring issues with it.

( Click to show/hide )

While I did like the score, the audio mix was just...silly. I know that he was hard to her due to the mouthpiece, but make it sound like it was coming from the actor, not reverberating everywhere like the all powerful Oz.

The other silly thing is Bale's Batman voice and Bane's voice just became too silly and took me out of the experience. There was the fight scene with Batman and Bane and when Bane was choking Batman, he's still trying to do internet tough guy voice and sounded like a friggen helium balloon. I lost it and burst out laughing in the theater.

Catwoman...well she did good acting but never came off as "Catwoman" to me. The heels were still stupid no matter how badass you're trying to make them...trying way too hard. You didn't need her "sidekick" friend and yes I know that was supposed to be Holly, but she was so unnecessary and just done as a "wink" to the comic book fans but in other ways not appealing to the fans. While Catwoman wasn't a woman who always donned the mask, I still had problems with this character. It just was stupid to me that she wanted a Clean slate but didn't wear anything to really protect her identity ...just...dumb.

Speaking of dumb...yeah sending all the cops down to find Bane was just beyond dumb. Nolan went from creating a well crafted believable world to making people do unbelievably stupid things. That being the top.

Batman sleeping with Tate... guess when he was dealing with things in his head his other one went on autopilot. It made for a really bizarre moment in the film since there was no chemistry...it just happened.

Too much giving things to "he's the Batman" when I would have liked to see how he gets back into Gotham City. Too much of a copout.

The fight sequences looked silly at times, the brawling sometimes looked like a mass "free hugs" when they're supposed to be fights.

5 months for a bomb? Like the police ...this plot was silly as sending your entire police force down underground. Nice for moving the plot along but...a real "huh?"

There wasn't enough Batman in it but in a way I'm thankful or I would have kept laughing at the silliness of the voices in the movies.

Tom Hardy was fascinating but at times just seemed so ridiculous with his dialog the audio overdub didn't help...

Catwoman killing Bane was such a copout not that the "Boss fight" before then was any better.

The plot twist didn't sit right with me. Especially that the reason Bane was kicked out was because he was a monster? What Ra was looking for good looking men in the League? Da fuck? was he Odo...or rather René Auberjonois when he kicked Bane out?

Ohhh nooo not THAT one...

I also felt Foley's death..just anti climatic and just...why?

Other silly parts. Why was the mayor wearing makeup? He wore eyeliner better than some of the women in the film.

I admit even though I'm complaining I did enjoy the movie well enough where I wasn't annoyed like the stretched out finale of Dark Knight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Other silly parts. Why was the mayor wearing makeup? He wore eyeliner better than some of the women in the film.
    It's what he does. The mayor's always had eyeliner in every movie.

Watched the first episode of Rescue Me. God damn, 93 episodes total? Seriously?

It makes me think of Mad Men, in that practically everyone on the main cast is an asshole, but the difference between the two shows that makes Rescue Me watchable in comparison is that these assholes are legitimately funny. And there's the fact that despite them being a bunch of macho racist homophobes, they still go about saving people every day. I honestly don't care to watch anymore, but I'd still pick it over Mad Men.

The assholes in Mad Men are just assholes I'd never want to be bothered with. They were dickheads right upon introduction, and they just got worse and worse before the first episode ended. Nothing's funny about them to lighten the blow, none of them are making any contributions to society so as to make them more tolerable, and the whole time I feel sorry for the single non-asshole character that's gonna have to put up with all their shit. They're too repulsive for me to ever bother with another episode.

For comparison, I can have a laugh watching the characters in Reservoir Dogs: robbers and murderers who torture cops and spout racial slurs in every one of their sentences. And yet I vehemently despise the characters in Mad Men.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 13th, 2012 at 01:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Testing the spoiler tag. There was something in DKR that really bothered me.

( Click to show/hide )

The silliest thing was batman spending 5 months in the hole and when he comes back he has 43 minutes to save Gotham! It seems like something that would have happened when Adam West was batman.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; August 13th, 2012 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Testing the spoiler tag. There was something in DKR that really bothered me.

( Click to show/hide )

It seems like something that would have happened when Adam West was batman.

Yeah, about that...

( Click to show/hide )

Remind you of anything?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ROTFL! Holy heart failure that was funny.

I had a free movie pass that was about to expire, so I saw Total Recall. Don't give them your money! It's totally fun fucked.
    ( Click to show/hide )

No Quato
    No Mars
    No Jonny Cab
    No Mutants
    No Humor
    Nothing memorable, other than 2 hours of lensflares with no light source.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For the longest time I've been trying to get myself to watch the Friday the 13th movies because I thought I hadn't seen any, despite having seen at least one movie of most other long running slasher/horror series (Halloween, Scream, Hellraiser etc) so now I decided to watch ALL TWELVE OF THEM (or eleven, technically) and oh man.
    I'm half-way done and thus far the sixth movie has probably been my favorite out of them (partly because it plays out almost like a 90's direct-to-video kid's movie, and the music by Alice Cooper didn't hurt at all, let me tell ya), with the second being actually scariest thus far.
    Freddy vs Jason is quite enjoyable schlock too and I like that it doesn't completely fall into the "other is obviously better" trap that Alien VS Predator did.

Last edited by TinyBird; August 15th, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saw Star Trek (newer one) which I haven't seen in ages. Lord there are so many random stars scattered throughout that movie. Everyone from Harold from Harold and Kumar to the guy that was in Sean of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. What's that? Oh look Scyler from Heroes. So many I can't even place them all.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just watched the first 10 minutes of the new Starship Troopers: Invasion movie. I know it's based even closer to the book than the previous one but still very dull to me. This is type of stuff that gives sci-fi genre a bad name.

Link to video - http://io9.com/5935799/watch-the-fir...ium=socialflow

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Watching Code Lyoko...the designs are meh. It's just I can't really stand that high forehead look.

I heard it gets better in Season 2 and more but I am not seeing what's so great about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guh. There's a show that's sitting on my list. I remember when it played on Cartoon Network, I thought it sucked, but I remember the show having a decent fanbase, so I promised myself I'd look at it again someday.

Reboot's another one of those kinds of cartoons on the list. But at least I never hated that one. I'm just confused that the show has a decent fanbase.

Speaking of lists, I'm trying to continue where I left off with Heartcatch Precure (yeah). The formula's really starting to wear on me, but whatever. I like keeping my word, so I'll keep going with it bit by bit, every couple of episodes something important does happen which will get expanded on later. Honestly, I could just cheat and skip all the pointless episodes, but that's...cheating.

I notice they decided to stop having the pet thing crap out liquid gold that transmutes into magic items...instead it just craps out the items. Great, Toei. I've been asking why I'm seeing this AT ALL, but I've stopped caring at this point.

Honestly, I feel like I could just drop Heartcatch and give the current season a look. Can't be too bad. (I'm just saying this because I'm a little burned out, I'll just take a break and continue later.) This one deviates a bit from the original premise and makes a full team instead of a duo, but this wasn't the first time. Heartcatch turns into a team after a little while, with three other Precure waiting in the background to obviously get their powers and join. Two of which are already known to have had the power at some point once they're introduced, and serve as mentors.

Anyway, the current season has this character.

You KNOW you're a badass when your henshin involves IMMOLATING YOURSELF, plus explosions. And you punch shit with FIRE.

The only reason I chose Heartcatch was because of how distinct it looked. The character designs are by Yoshihiko Umakoshi, who's also designed for Casshern Sins and Saint Seiya Omega. His designs are easy to recognize. The rest of the franchise is just bland and generic animu stuff, but not so much that you can't tell the heroes apart.

Anyway, if there's one thing that kills me about Precure as a franchise, it's how underwhelming the monsters always are. They're so damn boring. The recurring villains are fine! But unless it's a major episode, they just sit back (sometimes literally) and toss out a monster with a few mooks (which make obvious references to the Shocker Combatmen, which I like).

It's cool seeing all the explosions and lighting fast DBZ kicks and punches all over the place when they don't use stock footage for their henshins and finishers (fun fact, the first season's animation director WAS the same as was in DBZ), but it always loses a few points when they're fighting something stupid like a giant humanoid spotlight instead of the actual villains, some of whom are shown to be legitimate threats, while others are just amusing in themselves. Cobraja and Sasorina are funny. Kumojacky looks like he came out of a hotblooded Go Nagai comic, and Dark Cure is what you expect.

I mean, I get that they need monsters of the week. And this show uses the old magical girl trope of the villains using negative emotions as a power source, but in this they do it in order to MAKE the monsters by fusing the condensed souls of humans into objects. Really anything that's around. From a soccer ball to a wooden plaque. And that's were the problem lies. Couldn't they have made the monsters personify the victim of the week's insecurities into something physical? It's kinda off-putting to have a girl who's trying to bottle up her grief over her dead mother suddenly get her soul fixed onto a trash can monster. That's not a joke. I just watched that today.

I don't know, maybe they were intentionally going out of their way to make sure that they weren't too similar to the Greed and Yami from Kamen Rider OOO (still the best Heisei season of Kamen Rider outside of Kuuga), which played back to back and are owned by the same company.

It wouldn't be so bad if they put as much effort into making the monsters look as cool as the villains. That's all I'm really saying.

Speaking of magical girls, Sailor Moon is supposed to be getting a remake for it's 20th anniversary.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 20th, 2012 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So yeah. I'm almost done with the Friday the 13th movies and I have to admit, I kinda like most of them. Even the shitty ones that require me to suspend my disbelief so much that it has stretched to be like ball of yarn because all of them have something that I like, even the Cop-out Copycat Killer in the 5th movie had an awesome song, the 8th with its extremely contrived plot had lots of my favorite Jason moments and overall they were nicely predictable in a way I appreciate (as in when your main villain is a dead lunk, adding actual plot would just mean I have to spend more time watching the teenagers or whoever farting around). Like even if they're not good, they're movies that I can comfortably sit through.

But oh god, the 9th movie. It just feels to go so obnoxiously against the personality or MO of Jason and add all that demon-eel/mystic crap and actual "plot" that I just couldn't keep watching. And on top of that I can't even see him doing the kills, I have to watch random people (technically) kill more random people.
    I mean thus far Jason hasn't had any real goal with his killings, except kill everyone who trespasses near the lake, but now he has to actually find specific people who he really shouldn't have no knowledge of and actually do things which may even require some, if little planning, which just makes him feel way too coherent for me to like (as strange as that sounds).

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I saw copper last night. It's okay. Not so much with the authentic. They didn't have tattoos back then and I'm expecting it to go steam punk before the show ends. Still way better than Gangs of New York.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The last episode of Breaking Bad (buyout) , heavy stuff man, now Walter´s psychological transformation is more transparent... the guy is totally going full retard.

All i was thinking in my head trough it all was "Just stop at being such an asshole Walter!"

How stressing this show is! Is the rest of the last season really going to be Walter getting everyone else screwed? looks like is shaping up to something painful.

Last edited by JDSart; August 20th, 2012 at 07:31 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Friday the 13th
    Man...When I was 10 years old the last few scenes of the New Blood gave me nightmares for months. It all comes down to the scene where the telekinetic tries to crush his head in with his own mask and white puss starts coming out. Weird thing to focus on, but whatever. After that I just found the image of Jason scary for a while.

The way I finally got over Jason is weird as hell to explain. All I did was have a dream where I was sitting at a round table discussion with Jason and other slasher icons like Chucky. It was like a sketch from Robot Chicken or Family Guy or something.

Something goofy like this (which I just discovered today), except in the dream he was out of character and talking.

But yeah, after that dream he wasn't scary anymore.

Hm. I remember at there was a bit of maskless zombie Jason roaring at the end of the New Blood, which sounded more like he was throwing up. And a front porch falling on him, but he gets right back up. I know my 10 year old mind was freaking out from that! "Holy shit, he's stronger than Super Shredder!" (Cool points to anyone who gets that one.)

I really need to start watching the series from the beginning one of these days. Another franchise for the list.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 20th, 2012 at 09:31 PM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Man...When I was 10 years old the last few scenes of the New Blood gave me nightmares for months.
    I had the same with Hellraiser 2. I was in elementary school and watched the movie from TV at night (summer vacation) and I seriously couldn't sleep with my room door open after that. Before watching the movie I couldn't sleep with it closed because it felt confining but then the monster that walks in the hallway walls oh god :V

The way I got over that was just watching the movies again later at art school with friends, and realizing that they weren't as scary as they had been that night when I was a kid.

Something goofy like this (which I just discovered today)
    Ha, have another : D

except in the dream he was out of character and talking
    More like this?

"Holy shit, he's stronger than Super Shredder!" (Cool points to anyone who gets that one.)
    Ha ha oh boy. There should be a list of villains that marks down how "falling bits of plank" resistant they are.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

35. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never watch game shows but Repo Games has won me over. They ask some of the dumbest questions ever and still manage to stump the players. "how many legs are on a spider?" was one of the questions. Half the contestants are obviously bloods, but the white trash are the most hostile and violent.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I watched a few episodes of SKET Dance, and it's not bad. I thought I'd try out something from current Jump that I haven't tried before, and I decided to go with the one that has everset do one of the OP's. The OP isn't even good, I just like everset.

Man, watching this show reminded me that MOST OP's for Japanese cartoons just aren't good, at all.

If I can describe it, it's basically Gintama's set up of three goofball freelancers taking odd jobs, but SKET Dance is in a mundane high school setting, less chaotic, and with fewer sex jokes.

Gintama loves being as ridiculous as possible, has a weird anachronistic feudal/sci-fi setting, and loves sex jokes (the title itself is one letter change from saying "Testicles" in Japanese.)

And all of these things are joked about when the two series get a crossover. Two seperate ones at that. The thing is, the creator of SKET Dance was originally an assistant on Gintama, and the two creators personally know each other. Also, both comics run in the exact same magazine.

Here's a page from the Gintama version of the crossover.

( Click to show/hide )
    Just Watched

Moving on, this is probably the first time I've said this about a Jump comic I like (might not be), but in the case of SKET Dance, I honestly would rather watch the cartoon instead of reading the comic. And the only reason I have for that is the comic gets overrun with text to the point that you can see multiple panels full of nothing but text bubbles on top of a blank sky background. Not particularly interesting to look at.

It's been a long while since I've bothered with a comic set in a mundane high school, and there are millions of those. I usually get bored to death by them.

This is a Jump comic, by the way, so the cartoon is an exact adaptation of everything that's in the comic. No deviation like what happened to comics like Fullmetal or Soul Eater, I've yapped enough on my little speculation of that.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 23rd, 2012 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well at least Full Metal Alchemist was like "Hey. This veered from the comics. We know. We're going to do another one the right way, and it's going to be good quality. Cheers"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They had no choice BUT to veer off. The same with Soul Eater. Both times Square Enix jumped the gun too early to make an adaptation of a monthly comic. It was doomed from the start.

Jump isn't immune from these kind of problems (though Jump is a weekly book, not monthly like GanGan), but after the tons of padding Toei had to put in the cartoon version of DBZ, they had formulated a decent pace for their adaptations. And that lead to the wider use of filler arcs (Naruto, One Piece, Bleach) or splitting a series into seasons instead of a long ongoing (Bakuman), or simply waiting for the series to end and then making an adaptation (Death Note).

In the case of SKET Dance, they had a whole 4 years worth of material to work with from the start. You can't really have filler for a series like SKET Dance, anyway.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 24th, 2012 at 11:05 PM.

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3