Just Watched - Page 15
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Watched

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have been watching a lot of classic italian films , so far the only two films i haven`t liked very much are Teorema by Pasolini and Le notti bianche by Visconti. Il Gatopardo felt a bit tedious too ( theres a ball that lasts like 40 minutes and barely adds to the story) but still a very well made film.

Other than that, Stromboli, Umberto D, Sciuscia, Bellissima, Roma Cita Aperta, Ossessione, La terra Trema , all really good movies, i love neorealism.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,885 Times in 2,357 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Nobody is a bigger Avenger hater than me, but Joss Wheadon may trump my hatery. I'm sure even Dr. Doom would want to watch it.
    RD
    I loved the Solomon Kane stories by Howard, does the movie stay close to the original stories?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The Invisible Man is good, but Dracula is not. Nosferatu was better.

I don't get how in both movies John Harker's just some random well off guy who happens to be the fiance of one of Dracula's targets, when in the book he was the real estate agent that got Dracula the land in London in the first place.

And plus neither do a final showdown in Romania either.

Also, in the Universal film, Van Helsing looks like Duke Nukem.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 6th, 2011 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dpaint-I've never read the book. I do want to read it now. I'm going to see if it's at the library.
    BTW wrong quote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watchmen. I forgot how much I loved that film. Not perfect, but it's stylistic as with all of Zach Snyder's films and I feel it was very faithful to the Graphic Novel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Winters Bone and Let Me In
    Both movies low key and very well acted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Frazetta - Painting With Fire

I enjoyed it and it was pretty interesting even though it was mostly two hours of people talking about how awesome he was.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    Frazetta - Painting With Fire

I enjoyed it and it was pretty interesting even though it was mostly two hours of people talking about how awesome he was.
    That's a great movie to have on while you draw. His story is actually pretty damn good to.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; September 25th, 2011 at 06:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just watched Ironclad. I thought it rocked; great cast and great acting. Amazing fight scenes that are visceral and put you in the action. Its on Netflix streaming so I will watch it again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked Captain America over all but I thought the physics and choreography of the fight scenes were awkward, and Red Skull just looked silly. Looked like a rubber mask. Oh and Cap's first costume with the cheerleader helmet was way better than the mask he got for the rest of the movie. The mask looked silly.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    First episode of Terra Nova. It was nice, even though it felt a bit 'hollywoody'. But what's up with dinosaurs in movies? They don't behave like predators but more like killer robots that are programmed to attack every human they see. They usually don't even eat them. And if they do they swallow them whole, yet are still somehow hungry again a few seconds later...

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From Dusk Til Dawn. It was ok. I never managed to watch it in full until now, as I would usually just catch the last half hour on tv.

It's still cool for what it does: start as one genre and suddenly shift gears at the halfway point into something completely different. I wish I came in NOT knowing that like audiences did when it released, because I'd probably enjoy it more.

But I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

I'll probably watch Pulp Fiction next.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's not available on Netflix anymore. My fault for procrastinating.

Last edited by Psychotime; October 1st, 2011 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just saw Drive, it's dripping with atmosphere that lingers on long after the movie, great watch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just saw drive too, so disappointing. Predictable derivative bullshit with a horrendous 80s kitch veneer plastered on for hipster-points. That "bonding-montage" was atrocious. Its easy to make something resemble style when you so blatantly steal from Scott and Kubricks. Not to mention Vangelis. I cant see how anyone with any knowledge of cinema can think this drivel was good. Gosling was wasted, Cranston was wasted. Shame too, I was really looking forwards to this, hoping to see "the next thing" but it didnt happpen. I loved the Pusher trilogy and I really like Gosling.

You wanna see a good film with Gosling watch "Stay", that had innovative camerawork, great story, and ambiance like a motherfucker without ripping off some of the biggest film makers in history.

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blitz was so bleh. The ending just wasn't my taste (call me a goody two shoes), but did Zawe Ashton's drug addiction sub plot have ANY point? At all? Hell, NOTHING related to Ashton made any sense. Who was the kid? Why didn't anything she did have anything to do with anything?

I'm not sure how to start about how bland all of the characters were, with Statham's being pretty cringe worthy at least at the beginning (Seriously? Flat out threatening the guy, whoever the hell he was supposed to be, that was warning you that you're this close to being fired just because you're such a generic LOOSE CANNON COP WHO DOESN'T PLAY BY THE RULES?) And being an action movie is no excuse for it. Look at 80's action flicks like Lethal Weapon or Die Hard. Those actually had CHARACTERS of some kind and were all around MUCH better movies.

The only thing positive I can say is that Statham is handsome and Ashton is pretty.

What's a GOOD Statham movie? Cause Blitz isn't one. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but it's still bad if you ask me.

Last edited by Psychotime; October 3rd, 2011 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Devils at the doorstep (Guizi lai lei)

It can get as funny as it is heartbreaking, its a hell of a movie with lots of ups and downs. I definitely recommend it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm starting The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. I forgot Conrad Veidt was in that!

The version that's on Netflix has this AWFUL font, though. Blech. Why can't it be more like the text in Nosferatu? So much better.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,359 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Season premiere of Dexter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Breaking Bad, took me 4 days to get to the latest episode that aired last night. I like it very much.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to donm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Caligari is a boring movie. I'm sorry, but I quit before the final half hour and I really don't care enough to finish.

And it's not that I don't like silent films. I like Nosferatu, and plan on watching some Lon Chaney Sr. films soon.

Caligari is just slow and boring. The signature twisted set pieces are the only thing of note about it, if you ask me.

...The jump cuts.

Last edited by Psychotime; October 17th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Caligari is a boring movie. I'm sorry, but I quit before the final half hour and I really don't care enough to finish.
    I totally misread that and thought you were watching Caligula

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just watched The Illusionist, a British/French animated feature.

Not bad. I wish it wasn't essentially a silent film with maybe 20 words of dialogue in the entire thing. Yes, that makes it accessible to everyone, but I think it overstays it's welcome when it's for a feature length film.

I really wish I could have gotten to know the characters more so I could be more invested in them, especially the clown. And who the hell was the stoyaway kid in the first place? He couldn't just say "Go home"?

Last edited by Psychotime; October 13th, 2011 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw man, so they start season 2 of the original Law and Order by killing off the best character of the original cast. To be fair there was some foreshadowing.

Boo. Max Greevey was great. Too bad his actor left the show after only the first season. I hope Phil Cerreta is a decent character up until he's replaced by Lennie Briscoe (who I liked when I saw him occasionally).

It's really something watching the series from square one chronologically. The first season had some really good episodes from the get go.

Off the top of my head, my favorites of the first season have to be: Sonata for Solo Organ, Subterranean Homeboy Blues, Mushrooms, The Violence of Summer, Out of the Half-Light, The Troubles, and Poison Ivy. ...Yeah, I think I made it a little obvious I'm a bit partial to a certain theme (race issues). Call me predictable.

It actually goes back to what made me like Greevey, believe it or not. They may be two different areas, but I love how ambiguously and realistically they take the themes covered in both the character and the episodes, and don't fall into the simplistic caricatures you'd expect when themes like that come into play.
    • Subterranean Homeboy Blues makes everything preceding the crime intentionally vague, and it forces the viewers to really sit and think about the themes addressed during and after the episode.

• Out of the Half-Light was about disgusting people who try to twist and mangle legitimate issues and in turn rile up well meaning people to help aid their own selfish ends. Not a particularly contemplative episode, but it's good to see an episode acknowledge that this isn't a perfect world and that otherwise good thinking can still be bastardized and corrupted by deceit.

• Poison Ivy is something of a middle ground between the two: an initially vague and ambiguous incident that draws in inappropriate reaction from otherwise well meaning people, and an ambiguous conclusion that doesn't pander to anyone.

• Not about race, but The Violence of Summer is about the team as they struggle to earn justice for a rape victim with little conclusive physical evidence and room for the rapist's lawyers to attack the victim's character. It just shows how difficult the system really is and the type of hoops the heroes have to jump through. You really empathize with the characters and understand their frustration.

The other three are just interesting episodes on their own and it's a entertaining ride to see how they progress, like how all shows should be.

I found the Greevey character the most interesting because of the fact that he's a seasoned cop and conservative Catholic still trying to do what he thinks is right, and from time to time certain crimes make him have conflicts with his two devotions (and occasionally his chauvinistic but more liberal minded partner Mike Logan, who despite their occasional differences in views are still BROS to the end), such as the crime involving a BDSM club. But still his devotion to his badge doesn't blind him, and he's always the first and the most active to investigate corruption within his ranks, regardless of who it may be. He doesn't come off as an caricature but as a genuine good-natured human being.

The rest of the cast aren't nearly as engaging, but they are likeable.

• Stone is fun to watch with his dramatic reading glasses of badassery.

• Robinette and his flat top appropriately get involved in the racially themed episodes, and I love how his character addresses the idiotic line of thinking that him being a black man that studied law and became a district attorney means he's some sort of "sell out" or "oreo" for da white man.

• Logan is ok. He's not bad, but I've always liked the people he works WITH more. His character changes over the years (he's one of the real long running characters besides Cragan) but with the first season he comes off a bit smug and frat boyish, sometimes he's unusually naive (look at The Troubles). Sometimes I feel like he's a stereotype of New Yorkers more than anything, but to be fair he's the only other character I felt had concrete development other than Greevey. Makes sense. I just liked everyone else better.

Naturally the cast isn't up to par with SVU's, which is much larger and awesome all around, but I'll geek out over them another day.

The season finale The Blue Wall was probably REALLY good when it was new. But the fact that the entire episode is about how Cragen is under suspicion of taking a bribe and destroying evidence, anyone who knows anything about the franchise at this point would know that it was a set up. If anything seeing the rest of the cast try to make sense of it was what made it worth the ride (again, back to Greevey, who was affected by it the most.)

I can wait for McCoy to show up. I can be patient.

Last edited by Psychotime; October 16th, 2011 at 01:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have just watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes, then this works in continuity, believe it or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fawlty Towers is an ok sitcom. I'd like to have more than four main characters. The set up needs more to broaden the cast.

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lust for life, this movie about Vincent van Gogh was amazing and the acting of Kirk Douglas was outstanding!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Brooklyn, NY (But I am currently bouncing around the country)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got back on board with the BBC's Being Human: the writing can be melodramatic, but when it's not treads the line between hilarious and terrifically suspenseful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BBC's Sherlock. God, I love that show.

my sketchbook
    I upload to Flickr more than I do to my sketchbook.
    You can go there by clicking here.

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    TRON: Legacy - what an amazing movie, I wish I saw it in cinema.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Watched Kung Fu Panda 2. Maybe I was the only one just amazed at the textures on this film?

Like when Shen was moving across with his spiked feet. I was marvelling at how well done the concrete was and the way you can identify the clothing, beautiful silk shining in the sun.

In a sense it made me a bit annoyed how Avatar had so many creatures made out of Hulk Hogan's skin :/

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 21