Just Watched - Page 11
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Watched

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just saw jackass 3d and now I'm going to take a shower and cry myself to sleep.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 391 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I just saw jackass 3d and now I'm going to take a shower and cry myself to sleep.
    Why....WHY would you do that to yourself?! X_x

OT - V for Vendetta. AGAIN. I just love that movie! And who knew bald Natalie Portman looked so...hawt? *.*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    RD, do u mean that in a good way? I saw Jackass number two for the first time just a couple days ago, and might definitely check out 3 tomorrow!

biglu, broken pic

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Blade - The Daywalker

Never seen it before. It was pretty good, except for some cheesy moments...

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A bunch of "beat" takeshi Kitano movies.
    Awesome shyt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bhanu- do you know the name of the beat takeshi movie where he's a yakuza traveling across japan with an orphan. I only saw it once and couldn't quite pronounce the name.

zwarrior-if you don't mind the boundaries of scat film and comedy being blurred, then you are in for a treat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished Skins, way better than I expected

"Simon, believe in yourself. Not in the Simon that you believe in, and not in the Simon that I believe in either. Believe in the Simon who believes in you"
    - Kamina, Gurren Lagann

My Sketchbook
    My old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Raoul Duke- Kikujiro I think, yes its such a fun movie, especially when they hang out with the bikers, I just love parts in his movies when the characters start playing games.

I recently watched zatoichi, sonatine and takeshis recently.

I also caught up with park chan wooks lates bajkwi-thirst and 3 extremes(again).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bhanu For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I watched F.W. Murnau's Faust - Eine deutsche Volkssage. It's an amazing masterpiece! You might know Murnau as the director of the 1922 horror classic Nosferatu. After Nosferatu Mornau was given a large sum of cash and told to make whatever he wanted, and his Faust was the result.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Saw this too :'(

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bhanu-You knocked it right out of the park. I have another question for you. The only two movies I've seen beat in (aside from mxc) he had yakuza tats and I heard he was real yakuza, do you know if those tats are real? I always dismissed that rumor as bull shit, but I just have to know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont think those tatoos are real, there is a scene in the movies takeshis( where he plays himself), where hes seen getting a marker tattoo for a role in a movie.
    And I had read somewhere he had thrown out college because he was rebellious and he became a comedian.
    I havent heard about him being a yakuza, he was a boxer though, I dont think so...but then you know the movie business is like that, you make friends and enemies of some very powerful people(as a lot a movies are financed by them).

THat guy is a talent powerhouse or something, actor, director, writer, tap dancer, comedian.

I am trying to look for thirteen assassins by takashi miike now. Hope I will find it

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bhanu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Saw his work on Cgunit... thats a really unique way of working! I wouldn't have known it was ink unless he has said. I didn't know ink could be applied to plastic like that, whever I've done anything like that it beads up.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    American Astronaut. Depending on if you like Oh Brother Where Art Thou or not, you may or may not like this movie. Here are some great scenes. If you don't like'm then you'd really hate this movie.

Edit: I regrettably dance like these people.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; November 12th, 2010 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oldboy, man what an overrated movie! Boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I understand where you are coming from. If somebody were to have spoiled the plot for me I would find it boring too. It's just the shock and awe that makes it interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank god, i watched it without knowing about the hype...and loved the movie. The Hype killed it for a lot of people I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Both seasons of Legend of the Seeker. I only read the first book and that was a long time ago so I don't remember much of it. Even if I noticed a lot was changed. But at least I wasn't bothered by the fact that it didn't stick with the originals story. The overall message (love will conquer anything, derp) felt a bit too much at times. But it was still a solid fantasy show, which is really rare these days, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Amen to that. Top tip then - don't watch Lady Vengeance or I'm a Cyborg, by the same director. Both highly rated on IMDB, both IMO absolutely dire.

WIth all the fuss about Let Me In I watched the original, Let The Right One In. Not good. Nothing original, infantile plot, typical dull trying-to-be-arty vampire borefest. Its only saving grace is it didn't have smooth-chested teenagers poncing about flicking their hair. It's a pity because I like that type of non-mainstream concept, just in this instance it was done badly. I'm looking forward to watching The Troll Hunter and hoping it can sell me back on the genre.

On Sunday I watched six films back-to-back but to be honest nothing worth talking about. I can't even remember them all. One was Sleuth - terrible concept and silly plot but made bearable by Michael Caine's acting. And, surprisingly enough, Jude Law's - very impressive. And Stay - interesting but with a pointless plot 'twist' which I won't reveal in case anyone wants to insult their powers of imagination for 90 minutes. And Ils - fair concept, poor execution; done 10X better in Eden Lake.

And Jimmy McGovern's got a new series on UK TV. For those that don't know, Jimmy McGovern is a god and right now the only saving grace of the BBC. His drama the other night tackled bullying in the army - superb, with a brilliant performance by Mackenzie Crook, who played Gareth in the funny version of The Office (that's right, the UK one ).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm A Cyborg is great. Very cute and different from his other movies. Even if it has it's share of gore that almost feels a bit pasted on when thinking back on it. Oldboy I thought was ok but it seemed more like it was good at grossing out the viewer instead of actually telling an interesting story.

And come on... Jon Ajvides work is not 'trying to be arty'. He just has a bit of a different take on horror stories that's a bit more realistic and not so over the top. Also it captures rural Sweden during the 80s pretty accurately.

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inception. If you haven't seen it yet - go. I was expecting mindless action with some sci fi wedged in.

Tight, logical plot that follows it's own rules and no loose ends. Really one of the better movies I've seen in the genre.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    And come on... Jon Ajvides work is not 'trying to be arty'. He just has a bit of a different take on horror stories that's a bit more realistic and not so over the top. Also it captures rural Sweden during the 80s pretty accurately.
    I hear you, and I'm a big fan of less is more - low budget, thoughtful, gritty realism, but this failed for me. I did like the atmosphere, with the bleak apartments and the snow, but to me it seemed like the director was trying for a 'cult classic', which, as we all know, should never be the intention.

Watched Shutter Island last night. Yeah, well. As we don't have the spoiler tag I'll just say that the total lack of credibility of the plot detracted from what could otherwise have been a decent film. Indeed, the idea is so ridiculous that it once spawned a popular phrase beginning 'The lunatics have...'. I've never been overwhelmed by the civet-faced dwarf Dicaprio but his acting was OK and I did like the photography and location.

Anyhow, just ordered Inception on DVD, and will be ordering Monsters and The Troll Hunter too at some point, in the hope that the year won't close without me seeing a really good film (well, Inception anyway, the others aren't out on DVD yet)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    WIth all the fuss about Let Me In I watched the original, Let The Right One In. Not good. Nothing original, infantile plot, typical dull trying-to-be-arty vampire borefest. Its only saving grace is it didn't have smooth-chested teenagers poncing about flicking their hair. It's a pity because I like that type of non-mainstream concept, just in this instance it was done badly.
    I haz opinion.

Couldn't agree less Mr B. For me 'Let The Right One In' was a stand-out in a world populated by the very movies you describe, although it has nothing to do with vampires really, but rather alienation. Hardly an infantile plot either, excellently streamlined from a good book that actually rambles a bit unnecessarily. It is very deliberately paced, I grant that... and as a result not to everyone's taste, but ho hum...

I enjoyed 'Shutter Island' too, and although Mr Di Caprio used to be very punchable, I think he's maturing in to a pretty good actor. 'Catch Me If You Can' changed my opinion of him. 'Inception' was fun, but thoroughly over-rated, a bit like 'Avatar'.

Mark Kermode's opinion on 'Let Me In' and how it compares to 'Let The Right One In'. I like Mr Kermode, particularly when he has a hissy fit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah yes, Mr Kermode I've always thought Mark Kermode to be one of the more savvy reviewers but my appraisal of him was shattered when when he not only gave a favourable review of Twilight, he actually enthused about it on TV. If that's what Mr Kermode looks for in a vampire movie then his judgement on the genre is not to be trusted. (BTW I haven't seen Let Me In yet and I'm not sure whether I ever will).

It's not the pacing that's at fault, the pacing's fine. When I said borefest I was referring only to the fact that what happened was not interesting, regardless of the rate at which it occurred. If a film is solid and well thought out then the pace can be as slow as suits. A great example of this is 'The Hide', one of the finest British films ever made IMO, but often criticised for its slow pace and lack of action.

One of my main gripes with Let The Right One is that it has no originality. A vampire being an outcast is hardly a new concept. Neither is an outcast human being attracted to a vampire, or vampire with a guardian, or a vampire jumping on people and sucking their blood (really, do we have to be so true to tradition?). No thought went into the concept and that, for me, is annoying.

Beyond that, we have the plot holes. Now normally I'm not too concerned with plot holes, and the better the movie the bigger holes I can tolerate. For example, District 9 has more holes than a tramp's sock but I only realised they were there on the third time of watching. With LTROI they are obvious, starting with the idea that the guardian and the girl are hoping to avoid detection despite committing one murder a day in a quiet residential area in Sweden, and have allegedly been doing this unhindered for decades. Although maybe that was intentional, as certainly none of the human characters in the story seemed particularly interested in the events that are going on around them.

The ending alone should be enough to dispel any idea of sophistication. It's like a cross between Benny Hill and a b-move slasher. The director should really understand that such shallow (no pun intended) trickery makes for pretentious viewing if not done well, and it certainly was not done well in this instance. It's like he watched Funny Games and thought a bit of off-camera violence might add sophistication and make up for the lack of plot. The scene wasn't honest, it wasn't in the slightest convincing and beyond that, it instantly demoted the lead character to the status of a savage beast, thereby taking away all traces of humanity from both characters. A fitting finale, some might say, to a gutless production.

You mentioned Avatar - now there's a film I'll never watch. I suppose I should watch these films before denying them but based on what I've seen and heard I simply can't muster the energy. I have mediocre hopes towards Inception but that's only because I'm thinking of how wrong I was when I said I probably wouldn't like The Matrix.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, you didn't like it, so we probably won't get anywhere here. To me it doesn't matter it's not a new concept; the idea of the vampire as outcast. That's pretty much the basis for many a vampire movie, so it's of course nothing new. I liked how it was a fresh look at that idea, through the eyes of a bullied child. How many kids being bullied would have loved someone as a friend who could kick the shit out of the bastards picking on them? An all powerful 'being' who took no shit, but was at the same time vulnerable. The vampire as protector.

I'm a big fan of vampire films, have been for many years. Since I saw 'Dracula: Prince of Darkness' as a kid in the 70's. I have more vampire movies on my shelves than anything else, so I get a bit narked when opportunists come along and attempt to re-invent the vampire mythos, which I've done a fair bit of thinking about. People who actually have no empathy with the idea, but are rather using the concept as a vehicle for a shoehorned agenda. Stephanie Meyer springs to mind here. I've not seen Kermode's review of any of the Twilight films so shall seek it out. It's been oft quoted but Stephen King's perspective on Meyer is apt: King compared the Mormon author to JK Rowling, saying that both authors were "speaking directly to young people". "The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn."

As for Avatar, depends what you want from a movie really. I enjoyed it superficially, but it wasn't special. A theme park ride from a man who is the equivalent of P T Barnum, and probably mutters Barnum's most memorable phrase to himself quite often...

By the way, seeing as over analysing is fun!:

http://littleliteraturereview.blogsp...diagnosed.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think both Inception and Avatar depend on you what you expect of it. Inception is a great action movie within a cool sci-fi world. But if you're looking for a 'deep' movie about dreams and psychology you'll find yourself short changed. In that case any movie by Satoshi Kon is a better choice. Same goes for Avatar. It's a spectacular visual ride with a lot of cool looking scenes. But if you start analyzing the script there won't be a lot to get out of it. And to me this doesn't matter, I'm happy as long as I'm entertained.

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thing is, of course, what is the true vampire myth? Vampire tradition is varied, the concepts of flying and garlic and drinking blood are only a selection of many dozens or even hundreds of variations worldwide. What happened of course is that Bram Stoker's creation captured the public imagination and became the template for almost every vampire fiction going.

Having said that, my favourite vampire is still Gary Oldman in Dracula. His performance seems a bit hammy now but overall it stands the test of time pretty well.

So sad about Mr Bump. I used to watch the Mr Men religiously and I always thought he had undiagnosed problems, possibly motor-neurone related.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This forum is acting a bit mad. I posted a bunch of stuff with a link and it posted twice. I deleted the second one and it deleted both. So I'll just post the link again without the commentary, other than it's worth watching, especially seeing a painting go from incredible to potted shit and watching how the poor, cash-strapped Church has the cheek to commission a painting that would cost over £80K to paint, for no fee.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w57gt

And you'll probably get it twice but there you go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a thread perfect for me :> I'm a movie-addict^^

The Social Network - good movie, a little bit cliche but still enjoyable
    Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps - surprisingly good
    Jonah Hex - terrible.. just awful.. I found hardly two good things: music and actors, Josh Brolin and Michael Fassbender..

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 20