Thanks

Religulous on Youtube

I hope I do not get into trouble for posting this here but someone got Religulous on youtube.

Look in the More From: for the rest.
    Last edited by Jason Ross; January 3rd, 2009 at 09:38 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    That was one of my favorite films of '08. Absolutely hysterical and equally as informative.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Some parts 'are not allowed your country' but the parts I seen were a lot better than I thought. While there was some obvious editing for comedic timing and I question the Zeitgeist-esque comparison of Jesus to so many previous deities, I agree with the final message.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Hilarious movie, although towards the end he gets a little too opinionated. Still great though, i was dying when he interviewed the guy who had the museum full of robotic dinosaurs and children

Thanks
    Just finished watching it. Good stuff. The message at the end is pretty good, but it's a smidge too heavy-handed.

The Creation Museum is hilarious.

As far as opinion documentaries go, this is a really good film. The fact that I'm an atheist may have something to do with it, but still.

I don't usually like Bill Maher, but he was okay in this.
    Last edited by Dorkthrone; January 25th, 2009 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks
    I just watched recently, I had to do a little research on the whole 'jesus is Horus' thing, which is basically completely fictitious. It's still a good movie but like religion needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

also if you want the other view point watch Bein Stiens Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, its complete crap but kind of gives you insight to the other sides crazy mindset... if you can even get through it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFreeze View Post
    I just watched recently, I had to do a little research on the whole 'jesus is Horus' thing, which is basically completely fictitious. It's still a good movie but like religion needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
    I agree with that.

Thanks
    Fictitious as in they are basically the same is not true? Or fictitious as in the whole walking on water, changing water into wine, and his flesh soaring "up" to heaven is fictitious regardless of which race you choose them to be? One of my best friends studied to become a Catholic priest after college and even he told me about these similarities that he was taught.

Thanks
    There is alot of historic record that jesus really did exist as a person. Dunno about the miracle stuff but the man did walk the earth. Bill here just seems to be pushing some kind of agenda to me. And he is probly a kabbalist. Becuase he mentions there that he used to be "heavily into numerology".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blahm View Post
    There is alot of historic record that jesus really did exist as a person.
    I would like to see some of these records you speak of. Seems like there's not any verifiable historical record of Jesus. The credibility seems all down hill after hearing about his flesh body coming back to life and flying up to heaven being pushed as fact. The parrallels of Horus and Jesus seem to be tough for believers. Is the book of the dead a complete fabrication? Or maybe it was translated all wrong? Are all of these guys just making it up? I just don't seem to understand why this is so hard to accept as similarities.

Thanks
    CORNELIUS TACITUS (55 - 120 A.D.) Tacitus was a 1st and 2nd century Roman historian who lived through
    the reigns of over half a dozen Roman emperors. Considered one of the greatest historians of ancient Rome,
    Tacitus verifies the Biblical account of Jesus' execution at the hands of Pontius Pilate who governed Judea from
    26-36 A.D. during the reign of Tiberius.

"Christus, the founder of the [Christian] name, was put to death by Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judea in the
    reign of Tiberius. But the pernicious superstition, repressed for a time, broke out again, not only through Judea,
    where the mischief originated, by through the city of Rome also."

--------------------------------

PLINY THE YOUNGER (63 - 113 A.D) Pliny the Younger admits to torturing and executing Christians who
    refused to deny Christ. Those who denied the charges were spared and ordered to exalt the Roman gods and
    curse the name of Christ. Pliny addresses his concerns to Emperor Trajan that too many citizens were being
    killed for their refusal to deny their faith.

"I asked them directly if they were Christians...those who persisted, I ordered away... Those who denied they
    were or ever had been Christians...worshiped both your image and the images of the gods and cursed Christ.
    They used to gather on a stated day before dawn and sing to Christ as if he were a god... All the more I believed
    it necessary to find out what was the truth from two servant maids, which were called deaconesses, by means of
    torture. Nothing more did I find than a disgusting, fanatical superstition. Therefore I stopped the examination,
    and hastened to consult you...on account of the number of people endangered. For many of all ages, all classes,
    and both sexes already are brought into danger..." Pliny's letter to Emperor Trajan

---------------
    CELSUS (~ 178 A.D.) Celsus was a second century Roman author and avid opponent of Christianity. He went to
    great lengths to disprove the divinity of Jesus yet never denied His actual existence. Unfortunately for Celsus, he
    sets himself up for criticism by mimicking the exact accusations brought against Jesus by the pharisees which
    had already been addressed and refuted in the New Testament. There are two very important facts regarding
    Celsus which make him one of the most important witnesses in this discussion:

* Though most secular passages are accused of being Christian interpolations, we can accept with certainty
    this is not the case with Celsus! The sheer volume of his writings (specifically designed to discredit
    Christianity) coupled with the hostile accusations presented in his work dismiss this chance immediately.
    * The idea of Celsus getting his information entirely from Christian sources (another recurring accusation
    against secular evidence) is wholly absurd. Though he is obviously aware of his opponents' beliefs (as
    anyone who is engaging in a debate should be), Celsus wrote his exposition in the form of a dialogue
    between a "Jewish Critic" and himself. This gives us cause to believe he used non-Christian (probably
    Jewish) sources.

On Jesus' Miracles: "Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt. While there he acquired
    certain [magical] powers... He returned home highly elated at possessing these powers, and on the strength of
    them gave himself out to be a god... It was by means of sorcery that He was able to accomplish the wonders
    which He performed... Let us believe that these cures, or the resurrection, or the feeding of a multitude with a
    few loaves... These are nothing more than the tricks of jugglers... It is by the names of certain demons, and by
    the use of incantations, that the Christians appear to be possessed of [miraculous] power..."

On the Apostles: "Jesus gathered around him ten or eleven persons of notorious character... tax-collectors,
    sailors, and fishermen... [He was] deserted and delivered up by those who had been his associates, who had him
    for their teacher, and who believed he was the savior and son of the greatest God... Those who were his
    associates while alive, who listened to his voice, and enjoyed his instructions as their teacher, on seeing him
    subjected to punishment and death, neither died with nor for him... but denied that they were even his disciples,
    lest they die along with Him."
    Last edited by Blahm; January 28th, 2009 at 02:54 PM.

Thanks
    FLAVIUS JOSEPHUS (37 - 100 A.D.) Josephus was a first century pharisee and historian of both priestly and
    royal ancestry who provided important insight into first-century Judaism. Josephus was born only three years
    after the crucifixion of Jesus, making him a credible witness to the historicity of Jesus.

"Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of
    wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of
    the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was the Christ, and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men
    among us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him. For he
    appeared to them alive again the third day. As the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other
    wonderful things concerning him. And the tribes of Christians so named from him are not extinct at this day."
    Antiquities XVIII, 3:2

Thanks
    It's funny that the people you mentioned are noted in Zeitgiest. None of the above (except Josephus) even mention "Jesus" and it seems to be just people who "believe" in the "Christ" but not ever meeting, talking, or even seeing Jesus. Seems like the above historians are writing accounts that they themselves have no experience in..."I have a friend who has a friend who overheard this..." I have no knowledge about Josephus and the accusations of his writings being a forgery but even if it is not, still he never met Jesus. I just find it very odd that no one alive during the time of Jesus ever recorded anything about his life. Especially considering what he was supposed to be. With my limited time as a Christian I could have just easily have written the "history" to the extent of information as Josephus. Anyone that has any knowledge of Jesus can write something similar even know. So I find this hard to except as historical fact that Jesus existed. I don't believe one way or another tbh but I cant except it as fact that he did or did not exist.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ross View Post
    It's funny that the people you mentioned are noted in Zeitgiest. None of the above (except Josephus) even mention "Jesus" and it seems to be just people who "believe" in the "Christ" but not ever meeting, talking, or even seeing Jesus. Seems like the above historians are writing accounts that they themselves have no experience in..."I have a friend who has a friend who overheard this..." I have no knowledge about Josephus and the accusations of his writings being a forgery but even if it is not, still he never met Jesus. I just find it very odd that no one alive during the time of Jesus ever recorded anything about his life. Especially considering what he was supposed to be. With my limited time as a Christian I could have just easily have written the "history" to the extent of information as Josephus. Anyone that has any knowledge of Jesus can write something similar even know. So I find this hard to except as historical fact that Jesus existed. I don't believe one way or another tbh but I cant except it as fact that he did or did not exist.

supposedly all the people he know wrote the bible lol. Other than that his Persecutor would not be writing his memoirs. They only other historian from that time i can think of is Justus and his wrightings are lost. What other historians where even around between 0-100AD? The bible is probably highly embellished but it also has some real history. And i dont remeber these guys being mentioned in zietgiest. All im saying is that the record of him was probly easier to find in their time period than it is now. Nobody that talks about him ever denies his existance. And how do you just manifest someone with a book and no personal accounts. And be willing to die for this belief. Doesnt make sence. And Tacitus says the founder of christianity, who is that? Im not a christian but it seems odd that to me that nobody questions Jesus's existence untill youtube.
    Last edited by Blahm; January 28th, 2009 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blahm View Post
    supposedly all the people he know wrote the bible lol. Other than that his Persecutor would not be writing his memoirs. They only other historian from that time i can think of is Justus and his wrightings are lost. What other historians where even around between 0-100AD? The bible is probably highly embellished but it also has some real history. And i dont remeber these guys being mentioned in zietgiest. All im saying is that the record of him was probly easier to find in their time period than it is now. Nobody that talks about him ever denies his existance. And how do you just manifest someone with a book and no personal accounts. And be willing to die for this belief. Doesnt make sence. And Tacitus says the founder of christianity, who is that? Im not a christian but it seems odd that to me that nobody questions Jesus's existence untill youtube.
    i believe there was "davinci code" like book printed in the 80's that challenged the historicity of Jesus but Youtube has allow millions to access a great deal of information that would not normally be accessible.. I can't find it currently but Christopher Hitchens debated Dinesh on proof of Jesus existing or not. I agree this is a circular argument neither proving or disproving whether or not Jesus even lived. Here is the part in Zeigeist in which these historians are mentioned. It's at 3:11 in the clip.

Also here is a fun call in PTV broadcast discussion about using these records (gospels and historical records) as proof if the Christian God(s) from the "atheists experience" which is basically the argument I've used before.