Personal Style

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Personal Style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Personal Style

Hi everyone at CA. I'm new to this site, so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by posting this here. Basically, I'm trying to develop my own style. For years, my "art" was anime-based crap, and after intervention from a few friends, I decided to focus on a more natural, or at least, home-grown style, which fit in with my course anyway. I could go on about my personal grievances with my anime vice, but I digress.

I was introduced (obviously not personally) to several artists, ones that originated in 2000AD, like Dermot Power, Ashley Wood, Simon Bisley, and I've even started painting in acryllics, for the first time. The problem is, while Simon Bisley is a massive influence, I'm beginning to see all my latest work as impersonations of his own style(though not actually copying anything).

So yeah, if anyone can offer advice on developing your own style, like books or well, anything, I'm all ears.

Edit: After re-reading that, I sound like I'm a bit up my own arse, but I really amn't, I swear. I don't mean to say that my drawings are anywhere near the quality of the Biz, and I'm very much aware that I've a lot to learn before I'm any sort of artist.

Last edited by Flash KOTI; January 3rd, 2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: editing spelling mistakes. Also sound a bit on the arrogant side :(
    Your Signature:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Search, please. [link]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Having some artists that are big influence is inevitable and it's not a problem. The problem might be having only one influence and just stopping to look for something new. For a start I think it's good to try learning from as many artists as possible. One might use nice color palette, other uses very pleasant looking lines and another can have nice compositions. You can take such small things you like from all of them and merge it into something yours. I think it's also good to do your own experiments with different media without looking at any influence so that you can leave some part of you independent. If you keep it this way for longer time, I think you'll more likely develop your own style. This process never really ends unless you feel too comfortable with your level of skill and stagnate. That's how I see it anyway.

Hope it helps.

Members who have read this thread: 1