Do I spend too much time studying and not drawing? Drawing verses studying/reading.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Jumping around houses north east in the uk.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Do I spend too much time studying and not drawing? Drawing verses studying/reading.

I've been getting confused on the "How to get to be a really awesome and competitive artist."

So I decided that I've sacrificed all my video gaming and watching telly habits; Anything that gets in the way.

I've been reading, browsing, searching for solid theories. But I worry if that is taking over on my more practical exercises. I usually take too long and end up trying to get my drawings done by the last minute.

All this makes my schedule very capricious and unpredictable. When I practice, I study. When I study, I practice. I don't know which ones going to take over. There's numerous times when reading and studying has helped me immensely. I also know that just practising them also helps.

I've Read, from "Harley Browns Inspiration for every artist", That there was this Art student working his ass off every hour in his younger art school years. But this student nether made any progress and kept working on this "Boring style" he had, As Harley describes. I know I've learned a lot from that.

There are people here that practice 12 hours a day on making art. That makes me worry if I've not been working hard enough.

It is typed, the ideal balance is 20 percent reading and 80 percent doing. If so, how do I keep the balence?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whenever you learn something new, maybe you should apply your knowledge to paper? I'm not going to diss reading, but art is a lot about practice and understanding techniques that can only be done physically. Also, you can never have enough anatomy sketches.

Honestly, you should dedicate some portion of your day, but why give up everything else? That's just bad time management. I like playing video games and spending time on my computer, but I have loads of time to draw if I wanted to. That's because I can plan my day or what I'd like to accomplish ahead of time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luverly_marie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I do is to always have at least one painting in progress. If I find something's wrong and I cannot continue because of a mistake or lack of knowledge (ex. "Gosh darnit, the expression on this woman is dead."), I read and study in order to let me progress. It's sort of like a video game, where you must find the key before you can open a door that's stopping you from going further into the dungeon. If the problem is a big one (ex. colour theory), while the "door" is closed for one painting, I work another one while occasionally trying to find the "key" for the first one. Weird system, but it's meant to force me to work on something all the time.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex Chow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what really is dulling is your hand dexterity.

like me, for the past few months, i dont have the energy to get my ass of and draw/paint. but that doesn't mean I stopped looking/admiring/analyzing/criticizing artworks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to waranghira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all i know is maybe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to riceface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a bit perplexed.
    I understand wanting to be really awesome and competitive artist, but I personally think that when you start obsessing over whether you are balancing your reading with your drawing correctly, it's a bit much.

I have three 6 hour and 2 three hour studio classes, and two 3 hour liberal arts classes a week. So when I'm not doing homework, drawing or writing a paper. I'm doing something that doesn't involve art at all. I doodle pretty often, but there are times I just need to switch off and recharge, which means looking at stuff.

As for time management, I plan on doing something that day, I do it and get it done well. End of story. The rest is free time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alison B. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would do both at the same time. Read the text and then copy the illustrations. After that move on to the next section and do the same thing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dizon For This Useful Post:

Jumping around houses north east in the uk.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your thoughts and insights!

I feel like a need organise, Which is fine, I've done it loads of times. If I keep updating my sketchbook everyday with delicious studys, I'll know Ill get something accomplished.

Members who have read this thread: 2