Just Add Water lost in painter 9,5 (brush editor noob question)

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Unhappy Just Add Water lost in painter 9,5 (brush editor noob question)

Hi

My favourite blending tool unexpectedly turned into a loaded palette knife when I managed to get my painter IX.5 to crash. I tried to fiddle it back into a nice blender, but I had no success whansoever. Can anybody tell me how to get the settings of my "Just Add Water" back? How do you turn a normal covering brush into a blender with the brush editor? (The brush editor scares me :'( )

what to do....?

//Lotta

FUTILE EFFORTS <-help me I suck.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It´s a big difference what you want to blend. Since Painter selectively works with different mediums in diferent layers. If is not some of those ONLY modes, I found that the Artist Oils Blender Palette Knife works really well. You just need to play with the upper settings (opaccity and that), and in the brush creator palette, the only two first options (General & Size).

If you don´t have a backup of your custom brushes, looks like you lost them.

Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Miles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lAhlbeck View Post
    Hi

My favourite blending tool unexpectedly turned into a loaded palette knife when I managed to get my painter IX.5 to crash. I tried to fiddle it back into a nice blender, but I had no success whansoever. Can anybody tell me how to get the settings of my "Just Add Water" back?
    Unless you saved the Just Add Water variant with the same name after making brush control adjustments, it's still there and easy to restore to its default settings (Brush Selector menu > Restore Default Variant).

If you did save the Just Add Water variant with the same name after making brush control adjustments, you can still get it back:

1. Close Painter IX and go to the following Painter IX application/program folder:

Mac - Applications > Corel Painter IX > Brushes > Painter Brushes > Blenders

Windows - Program Files > Corel > Corel Painter IX > Brushes > Painter Brushes > Blenders

2. Copy the Just Add Water.xml file.

3. Go to the following Painter IX User folder:

Mac - Users > [User Name] > Library > Application Support > Corel > Painter IX > Brushes > Painter Brushes > Blenders

Windows - Documents and Settings > [User Name] > Application Data > Corel > Painter IX > Brushes > Painter Brushes > Blenders

4. If you see either of these two files in the Blenders folder, delete them (you may only see the file named c_Just Add Water.xml):
    • c_Just Add Water.xml
    • Just Add Water.xml

5. Paste the Just Add Water.xml file you copied in Step 2 into the same folder where you deleted the file (or files) listed above.

6. Launch Painter IX and check to see that your Just Add Water variant is now restored to its default state.

How do you turn a normal covering brush into a blender with the brush editor? (The brush editor scares me :'( )

what to do....?

//Lotta
    We can adjust most Painter's brush variants to both paint and blend or to blend only. I'm going to show you how to make the adjustments in the Brush Controls' palettes to help you get over being "scared":

1. Open the Brush Controls' palettes (Window menu > Brush Controls > Show General will open all Brush Controls' palettes in a docked group).

2. Choose the brush variant you want to adjust. A good example for practicing this would be the Pens' Flat Color variant.

3. In the General palette, adjust the Opactiy slider to 5%.

4. In the Size palette, adjust the Size slider to 20.0

5. In the Well palette, adjust the Resaturation slider to 10% and the Bleed slider to 90%.

6. Now test the brush variant on a new white Canvas. You may want to adjust it further so I'll explain what the Resaturation and Bleed sliders do:

Resaturation controls how much color is painted in the brush stroke. The lower the Resaturation percent, the less current color is painted.

Bleed controls how much existing color is picked up and painted in the brush stroke along with the current color. The higher the Bleed percent, the more any existing color is picked up and blended with the current color.

When Resaturation is set to 0% and Bleed is set to 100%, the brush variant becomes a blend only variant.

7. Experiment with the brush controls I've mentioned above until you find settings you like, then save the adjusted Just Add Water variant as a custom brush variant with a unique name not already used by Painter (Brush Selector menu > Save Variant).

8. Now go back to the Just Add Water variant and restore it to its default settings (Brush Selector menu > Restore Default Variant).

Now that you know how to turn the Pens' Flat Color variant into a painting and blending or blending-only variant using the Brush Controls palettes to adjust Opacity, Size, Resaturation, and Bleed, I'll tell you that all of what I explained can be done using controls on the Property Bar. That is, providing the particular brush variant has these controls on the Property Bar. The Pens' Flat Color variant does and most other brush variants do if the controls are available in the Brush Controls palettes. However, in some cases these controls are only available in the Brush Controls palettes.

Happy Blending!

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks a lot! This helped a ton my just add water is restored and I'm happily blending(smoothly) away again. And I'm succesfully fiddling with the brush creator. you've just made a n00b very happy

FUTILE EFFORTS <-help me I suck.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.