Thanks

World.com files lawsuit against NCSoft

You can find articles about this everywhere....

Like here...
    here.....
    here....
    or here.....

But is this patent really not more specific than this:

"The patent is described as a method for enabling users to interact in a virtual space through avatars. " or "System and Method for Enabling Users to Interact in a Virtual Space"

???

That means that like... everything with avatars whatsoever? Or am I getting this totally wrong?
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    the "in a virtual space" part is quite pertinant.
    A forum is not a virtual space.

Thanks
    Yeah, but they're talking everything from WoW to Second Life and whatnot here, right?

Blog

Thanks
    hmmm
    I smell big legal bills.

Thanks
    Big legal bills.... and foreign companies getting dragged into court in US, which is foreign soil for them.

Think that had anything to do with NCSoft being the first one? That way they can test the case on someone not based in US and that'll be slightly off balance in US courts?

Blog

Thanks
    How can some one patent/copyright software? it's math! Didn't John Carmack predict this? I built a deck, therefore, everyone who builds a deck in my style owes me money!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D View Post
    the "in a virtual space" part is quite pertinant.
    A forum is not a virtual space.
    welcome to the west!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tsujni View Post
    How can some one patent/copyright software? it's math! Didn't John Carmack predict this? I built a deck, therefore, everyone who builds a deck in my style owes me money!
    That's like asking how someone can copyright an image when its just lines. The math isn't what matters, what matters is what it does. The copyright is about the outcome, the experience that it creates for someone else. There is so much more to it than lines or math.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    That's like asking how someone can copyright an image when its just lines. The math isn't what matters, what matters is what it does. The copyright is about the outcome, the experience that it creates for someone else. There is so much more to it than lines or math.
    The issue, is where do we draw the line? If you use Algebra should you pay some Middle Eastern country? Disney is a better example, it "stole" amply from the public domain and now fights tooth and nail to insure that Mickey Mouse is forever protected. The dilemma of IP! Where do you draw the line?

Thanks
    There can't be a line in a jumbled legal system. There seems to be zero room for someone to think outside the box, to draw a line. Unless two corporate giants go head to head and someone pays for such an action, in top levels of court. Judges need to say "hey wait, your just trying to pull a fast one" rather than go along with this crap.

Thanks
    Yet another good reason not to seek a Green Card...

In any case, I'm skeptical of this quite a bit - even if the infringement is legitimate (or illegitimate, as you would), I assume that the winner is decided by lawyers, not the legitimacy of the matter - hence, Blizzard, with the vast funds at its disposal, will likely win and give World.com a good slapping.

Thanks
    This is a good thing. If they press this hard enough, maybe our fucked up patent system will get a rewrite. Or world.com will own all video games.

Thanks
    I fucked up this one, sorry. Carmack's position was against PATENTS for software. I always confuse the two, oops. I guess the artistic equivalent would be the patenting of "a deep indigo sky with orange clouds to indicate mood."

Craig D., I have no clue as to what my reply to you means, sorry.
    Although I do have a certain fondness for non sequiturs.

Thanks
    This has to go down as one of the biggest bloopers or biggest achievements depending on how it goes...

If they'd gone for Blizzard first I think they'd be totally shredded, US based and so much money and lawyers in their back it'd be almost suicide. If they manage to get one judgement in their favour they'll stand stronger on presedence on later cases though, right?

Or am I misunderstanding how the US courts works?

I can't believe that went through in the patent offices in the first place though.

Blog

Thanks
    I doubt this will hold water in the court system to be honest. This suit seems to be about 'method' and not any specific technology. It seems too easy to argue that others would and could have arrived at the same idea to achieve what they wanted to do. And that alone would nullify the lawsuit. Otherwise patents for claiming rights to solar energy (in the broad term, not in specific solar technology) or patenting H2O for keeping life hydrated would have legs. They don't, and neither does this lawsuit from what I've seen. But, and this is a big one, (pun semi intended...) if they do manage to win, it will set up a very bad precedent which wouldn't exactly be a first in our legal system I suppose.

Thanks
    please kill mmos please kill mmos!

Thanks
    The issue, is where do we draw the line? If you use Algebra should you pay some Middle Eastern country?
    Copyrights have time limits on them. Seeing as this is the case I'm certain that even if the same copyright laws did exist back then and even if they could apply to Algebra it would have entered the public domain quite some time ago.

Disney is a better example, it "stole" amply from the public domain and now fights tooth and nail to insure that Mickey Mouse is forever protected. The dilemma of IP! Where do you draw the line?
    I draw lines where I find them to be most compositionally correct.

Where I draw the line on this issue is the difference between something universal with little individuality or creativity and something individual and unique. Mickey Mouse is easilly recognized as being uniquely Disney's. The fact that the corporation forced laws to change is not something I totally like on a moral level, but it helps me out as an artist by granting my own ideas more protection, so I am not about to complain about it.

What they are trying to copyright here though is not something as broad as Algebra. Something on that scale would be like trying to copyright the act of programming in general. Instead what they are trying to copyright is a certain outcome which was produced through creative use of a computer program. I can understand the legal dillema and can see how both sides are arguable, but I think that when it comes down to it lines of computer code used to create a game function are just as copyrightable as lines of dialogue in a script used to create a movie or lines of graphite used to create an image.