Pressure sensitivity... off?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pressure sensitivity... off?

This is a little ridiculous, but somehow I abolished pressure sensitivity. The only thing I can think of is I set the brush tracking to a medium pressure setting. Now, no matter what brush I'm using, it creates lines that are all the same width and opacity. I've tried resetting the brush tracking, but it doesn't seem to help.
    Can anyone spare some thoughts?

The pen is mightier than the sword, but the minigun does more damage.

Amateur Arist Looking To Be Mentored
    Clever - Loyal - Open Minded
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You might want to consider reinstalling the tablet drivers. I had something similar problem with PS and that did the trick. There is also a way to reset Painter to default settings. I had a brush wig out on me and that helped. I forget how to do it. Android mentioned it in a post somewhere in this painter forum. Something about clicking on the Painter icon....single clicking maybe.... and hitting some key. I cant remember for the life of me, but I hope that helps get you on your way again. Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hookswords For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hookswords- thanks for the tip. I took your advice, reinstalled the drivers. Now, when I go to brush tracking, it registers that I'm using more or less pressure, but when I'm painting, it still takes it all as one. I'm hesitant to set the brush tracking to a lighter pressure though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Open the Brush Controls' palettes (Window menu > Brush Controls > Show General will open all Brush Controls' palettes in a docked group).

2. Go to the General palette and make sure Opacity Expression is set to Pressure.

3. Go to the Size palette and make sure Size Expression is set to Pressure.

If that doesn't solve the problem:

1. Keep resetting your Brush Tracking using different hand pressure and speed until you find settings that work for you.

2. Then either write down those settings or do a screen print of the Brush Tracking dialog box and save that screen print with the image you're working on (or save it in a special folder just for that use, naming the screen print file appropriately so you'll be able to find the one you want).

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jin- excellent advice, thank you for that. My opacity and size, expressed by pressure, were not checked. Part of me still wishes I could restore back to the default settings; those were quite nice. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmus View Post
    Jin- excellent advice, thank you for that. My opacity and size, expressed by pressure, were not checked.
    If, by ".... were not checked." you mean the box to the right of the Expression drop down list of options was not checked:

In most cases that box should not be checked. It's the Invert box and when checked, it inverts (reverses) the Expression option effect.

Part of me still wishes I could restore back to the default settings; those were quite nice. Thanks again!
    If by "... restore back to the default settings..." you're referring to the Brush Tracking settings, there really is no default since we need to reset Brush Tracking frequently. We don't always paint the same way, with the same pressure and speed as our energy and mood can change from day to day, or from hour to hour.

In addition, some brush variants won't work as expected until we find the appropriate Brush Tracking settings. That can make a remarkably large difference in how a brush variant paints.

If by ".... restore back to the default settings..." you mean that you'd like to restore the brush variants to their default settings, that's easy.

In the Brush Selector menu:
    • Choose Restore Default Variant to restore a single brush variant to its default settings.
    • Choose Restore All Default Variants to restore all brush variants in the currently loaded brush library to their default settings.

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jin- it inverts it? Well, that explains a lot. Thank you so much for all your help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update:

By some stroke of genius, my Painter is set in such a way that every time I open up the program, it decides that my pressure settings are back to what they were when I posted this. My Opacity and Size expressions are set to Pressure, and the only thing that seems to work is to reinstall the tablet drivers. This is a bit tedious to do on a regular basis.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.