SUPER Stylised Challenge - December 2008 - Troll - VOTING - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SUPER Stylised Challenge - December 2008 - Troll - VOTING

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks Macaruba for the vote and very kind words.

me vote then:

1 - Rolox - truly an outstanding piece. designed with enormous amount of style and flavor, this troll is as Stylized as they come. lovely color palette.
    and that butterfly make for a nice focal point.
    crits - well nothing too critical. the hands look a bit "uncomfortable" in their pose. and that signature is a bit too big and bright, which steals some focus from the main character. hehe..
    all in all a winning piece, for sure.

2 - tommoy - just a great scene. strong atmosphere and a good composition makes for a lovely piece. the colors and lighting are wonderfuly put to use as a big character in this artwork, and the troll`s design is well crafted indeed.
    crits - on a personal note I think perhaps the piece could use stronger presence of brush strokes, bolder decisions. (if it makes any sense for you..)

3 - artina - I just love this guy`s expression, and his pose is just as effective.
    a very funny and cute idea, finely executed.
    a strong design wraps this baby up.
    crits - color could be more vibrant overall, me thinks. there`s some "muddiness" (is that a word? dunno...) in its quality which somewhat diminishes the general experience of the work. that`s about it. (that troll doll is just an adorable little detail.)

great round everyone. awesome works all around.

Pat.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my top 3:

1: rolox
    2: Chuck,mate
    3: Tommoy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1_CUBICcube
    2_daveneale
    3_Timmy the Turtle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool round indeed!...My votes:

1: Rolox-One slick image-you have the awesome combo of composition/design and colours all merged into a lovely pic.

2: Chuck,mate-Your consistently on form dude, I especially love your colours on this one-you've used a pallet with such variety and made it work so well!

3: Jpedro-Such a fun design-there's something really endearing about her. Lovely weight (form-wise) to the character too. Slightly over-saturated in parts for me but not massively so.

There are other really cool ones in there as well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to daveneale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Rolox: A clean, crisp image with a very simple pose. Very effective and a nice style. I loved the greyscale images and the way you shaded it. Very impressed.

2. Tommoy: Love the painterly way you work and always follow your posts. Got the vote here for a dynamic pose and great lighting.

3. Chuckmate: Great design and great colors. Always a joy to see.

4. JPedrpo: An awesome character and doing the female of the species was a great idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was quite tough to pick. There was so many entries i liked! Well done to everyone, loved all the work posted but my final choices are:

rolox - Loved the colours, style, design and overall feel of the piece! Awesome troll!
    Tommoy - Great colours, texture and lighting. I also liked the trolls expression and the detail on his body.
    SOUTHERN - Nice pose, figure and design. I like the colouring and the detail on his body, like the skin and hairs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Artina's Vote

Hey guys,
    My top three are:

1) Rolox - The colors are awesome, the pose is fluid and the piece looks "magical".
    2) ChuckMate - Excellent color variation (hopefully I can take some notes and apply it to my work), great pose, and character design is full of detail.
    3) Southern - it's a simple pose with great detail and personality. The stylization is cool because it's like a muppet character gone psycho. Great textures too.

I had fun in this challenge. It was my first one. I'll see you next month. Good luck everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1.Timmy the Turtle
    2.jpedro
    3.daveneale

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much pals for the votes and his appreciables words. Thanks Pat for the critique too, what you say about the hands is true.
    It's been a little while ago that I discovered the magazine and I fell in love with this event instantly.
    Undoubtedly, I came to stay.
    My votes:

1 · Chuck,mate: You have a nice style. In this piece I liked very much the palette and the work that you made with light, the character's expression is excellent.
    Great work.
    2 · Tommoy: Great work of light in this piece. I coincide with Cuck.mate, strong atmosphere and good composition. The balance of shades and lights is magnificent.
    3 · Jpedro: Nice style. A character with a lot of charisma. I like very much the pose and the expression. Pretty piece.

Last edited by rolox; January 8th, 2009 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Vote

1) Hopsy - The texture, color and very organic quality of this work grabbed my admiration from the start. It's nice to see a work that still has a hand-crafted look to it.
    2) Daveneale - I picked this because the character design appealed to me, and looked like a nice plush-toy design. The lighting, sharp contrast of trees in the fore-ground, and nicely featured expression contributed to a nice mood.
    3) liransz - Again, another nice character design. Very happy feel, and liked the glowing staff and multiple eyes. Perhaps a bit more detail could be added to the work, but I liked it.

Smot - my little boy liked this one - he wanted to know why he was crying. I like it too, only would have liked to see the figure be a bit closer to center the attention.
    Macaruba-great wood-cut style!
    Murdox X - would have liked to see more detail. But makes me think of Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Nice character!
    loztvampir3 - Beautiful color work. The Thomas Kincaid of Trolls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome work people, and many thanks for the kind words. davenale, thanks for the crit!

i vote as follows:
    1) Rolox- Coloring is really tight and fitting, super sweet style, i love it.
    2) Artina- really nice shot and i like the moment you capture, very good expression.
    3) ChuckMate- Cool lighting and another great character by you mister.

4) DAvenale, i like the unusual design and the kinda sad look of him/her.
    5) Tommoy, also a very good submission in which i like both composition and also the design of the troll. my small crit would be the very different anatomy of his left arm compared to his right. his left arm looks really elongated and his right arm in comparison has a huge hand and a very strange transition from upper arm to lower arm.
    6) Southern, well done but i think some of the volumes of him could be a bit more defined as he looks a bit flat in places. maybe it's also that in some of the wips i recall from you where he was not cut out that worked a bit better for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My votes go to:

Timmy the Turtle:Great design
    Murdokx: The best Character
    Rolox: Great Colors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Such a toughy this one - you've all really impressed this month so congrats must go to everyone. Thanks for kicking 2009 off with your great support everyone!

As always, there can only be three winners, so here go my faves for this challenge (wish I could vote for more though ):

1 - Tommoy
    2 - cubicCUBE
    3 - daveneale

Thanks everyone, looking forward to seeing you all again in the Bigfoot challenge currently in the WIP stage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Oooh...

1 - Jpedro: Great piece, good colour, an interesting take on the anatomy, plus I've spent too much time on ChOW and their continued lack of variety in women really bugs me (all stereotyped attractive and skinny, edging on too skinny for the most part).
    [And yes, I know that last bit makes me sound fat, but seriously! I like my men near on anorexic too, doesn't mean I can't design a healthy/pudgy male char.]

2 - Daveneale: Aww! I like the original take; less human than the others, but you could still see why mythology would paint them up as freakish humans.

3 - Tommoy: Nothing I find special about the troll's design here, but I like the scene and atmosphere of the piece. The colouring style/quality seems a bit irratic (e.g. comparing the foot closest to its knee or the leaves to the left of it), but it kinda works and the face is the focus and well done.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HareTrinity For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Liransz
    2. Rolox
    3. jpedro - I saw this and just about lost my lunch. perfect. so disgusting.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jason01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

voting

hi, my votes goes to:
    1- daveneale
    2-smot
    3-jpedro

thanks dreygus and jasono1!

good luck all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my votes

#1- Chuck Mate This is almost exactly what i picture when i think troll. a litte wierd that it came so close to my thoughts. Crits- the first many times i looked at it i thought he only had one leg. maybe i'm just a retard. also his tattoos kinda look like theyre floating, like they dont wrap to the muscles.

#2-Urih_pta2 i love the perspective and stylized anatomy and the concept the most. the pubes are the icing on the cake. i also really like the blue light from the left, thats something i want to learn to do better. or ...just do for that matter. Crits- the painting seems ill defined (for lack of a better term) Of course this is in comparison to other high detail pieces (such as chuck mates )

#3-Liransz i like the original idea and how it looks kinda grafficky. Crits- i like the way the light washes everything out but i woulda put it a bit further away from the troll so the left side of him is a little more defined

#4- Jpedro No word of a lie, i saw a stripper who looked just like this (give or take a few fingers and toes) at Hamilton Strip in Ontario. Crits- Stop digging up my suppressed memories.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you gotta face that shit...just helpin you deal with it all-

thanks for the comment dude, cracked me up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. - Chuck, mate. very good style, character simple and energetic, lights very fine.
    2. - Rolox - professional artwork, but for me it is not "a troll". Right hand strange.
    3. - Tommoy - good character, atmosfera and composition. There are some parts where it is too dark. Troll's hands and legs are a bit strange.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1:Loztvampir3
    Just like your storytelling style, maybe technicaly not the best but this certainly is a troll like I imagine them. Perhaps the piece could bennefit fromthe use of textures and different brushes.
    2:Chuckmate
    Again a brilliant work, specialy the head is eyecandy. Jim Henson or not I'm still missing sommething in the torso/hip/butt area.
    3:Rollox
    Superb image but not definatly a troll, the butterfly is indeed a good focalpoint but the eye keeps wandering al over the picture.

I would like to comment on more entries but I have a bad connection. Maybe later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks original sean... totally agree with you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my votes go to:

Rolox Outstanding stylized troll...love the composition and the colour. The line work is great and the details are eyecatching...I love a good skull!

Chuck,mate Also eyecatching and great character...nice expression!

liransz So cute! Nice looking little troll! I agree the colours are a little washed out BUT I like the simple design of him/her. Im imagining him with a squeaky voice and a lisp going 'come on bird, lets go hunting'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I've been here six months. If not, sorry about that.

Very tough to vote, so many really great entries.

1. Timmy the Turtle - love the design. And the story in it.
    2. Lostvampir3 - loving the looks on the troll's face and the fish. Really interesting story in this one.
    3. jpedro - I love the character, she has an awesome look on her face. Plus, someone did a female troll. Very nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow what an extraordinary challenge. So many great pieces. Very tough to decide.
    1)Timmy The Turtle - It's quite simply stunning. Great use of environment.
    2)Loztvampir3 - Superb detail and 'feels' the way a troll would look.
    3)Artina - Just very funny and wonderful finish to whole piece. Great character.

However well done to everyone. They're all incredible pieces.

ARTBLOG The Antarctican

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmmm, it's hard to choose, but here it is:

1. Tommoy: This picture gives me the ultimate feeling of a troll. It gives me the feeling that i found him in the forrest... i'm looking at him and he's looking at me.... strange creature (me or him? ;-)) And great style, technique, composition... well done!
    2. Artina: Maybe the most original idea!! Very cool and funny! And the graphics also look very good. Good pose of the troll!
    Only the light could have been extremer (with the shadows etc...). So that you can feel he's outside (sunny, cloudy, etc..). It would make it more alive (and not like a setting).
    3. Rolox: This is realy good work. I like your choice in color and it's look perfect. A real professional style! Only one thing is missing for me, it doesn't give me the ultimate troll feeling. More of a warrior and he looks too intelligent for a troll (for example his pose).

GREAT WORK GUYS/GIRLS!!!!!!! Very inspiaring!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great round....so many wonderful works..
    here is my vote:
    1. Tommoy
    2. Southern
    3. Cubicube
    Thanks everyone ..see u in the next challenge. ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vote time.
    1 MurdokX
    2 Jpedro
    3 tommoy
    Great Jorb everyall.

Conceptart Sketchbook.
    Here.......

CGtalk profile
    Here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1.rolox - great work dude, really close to stylised meaning
    2.Tuovni - nice shot dig the face expression
    3.liransz - simple and clear good luck
    4.The Antarctican - one vote for you too bro, I wish the votes could be 4 but they are only 3
    *ChukMate, daveneale, very very professional work as always but you know the rest should take theyr chance too, sorry nothing personal
    Best wishes and good luck to eveyone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 - Timmy the Turtle -shiiiiiiny
    2 - Jpedro - Love! jejejejej
    3 - rolox - nice style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 - Chuck,Mate. Gorgeous, unique colors, awesome lighting (even the light is stylized =)) and excellent design.

2 - Rolox. The head is fantastic - very stylized and full of personality. The body follows nicely, although there's something awkward about the hand that's resting on his hip. And the butterfly vs. skull heap are lovely additions =)

3 - liransz. It's cute, it has a nice style and design, and the color scheme works well overall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.