Thanks

The Black Hole Known As My Pencil.

Well I have been having a minor art problem lately.

I am wanting to learn how to draw. Values, shapes, anatomy of the human body, be able to draw in proportions. The whole thing.

I was told by many people the way to learn is not via using a tablet, that it can be a step backwards by starting digitally rather than with a pencil and paper. I too now believe this.

My problem reveals itself after I gather up the motivation to draw, think of something I would like to draw (some concept, building, new technology, etc.), so I grab my sketchbook, and my pencil, ready to start drawing away for hours. The feeling is there ready, boiling, almost ready to spill over the edges.

I pick up my pencil, look at the paper, attempt to draw the basics of what I am doing, and then... suddenly-

My mind goes blank, I get this insane urge to do ANYTHING but draw. Sometimes I can sit there and work my way through it, other times i set down the pencil and sketchbook and just go waste my time doing nothing - watching t.v. for example.

I am wondering.. what can I do to relieve this feeling? Or does everyone get it and that is just how trying to create something original feels like?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Draw some circles. Even if you give up afterwards, you have been practicing circles.

Thanks
    Empty your mind, and do one stroke just for the sake of the stroke, then another and another... when you fill 100 pages of strokes only, start with life studies at the street. Originality comes later.
    Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    If you're already looking for a specific thing to come out on paper, you are setting yourself for failure because anything but that specific thing will demotivate you to draw.
    Just go with the flow, draw for the sake of drawing and not for the end of producing one specific image.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    as someone has it in their signature: "Don't think, fewwwwwl"
    in other words,empty your mind,go with the flow and don't think about making pretty pictures. it takes some practice.
    p.s.: as for learning purposes, start with reference. copy the pic,when you're finished,think about what you did,and try to draw it again from your head. repeat till you're satisfyed. helps concentrate on the task at hand.
    p.p.s.: ideally,think about what you're doing while you're copying.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    play music. It's like exercise - hard to do at first, but you can go longer and longer the more you try.

Also, try drawing faster - speed drawing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    new bit of advice. I just drew what will probably be my worst for 2009. After, I thought briefly of stopping for the night. Then, I had the face say, "why? why did you draw me? why? why? why?" Then, I laughed myself silly, and started a new sketch that looks 30x's better. If your work looks bad, make a joke of it, and enjoy it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    This method sometimes works. Similar to what ~Faust~ wrote but more advanced. It 4 steps:

1. Draw a circle.
    2. (Optionally) extend it to horizontal shape / vertical shape
    3. (Optionally) add arms, add legs, add wheels, add cannon, add wings, add tentacles...
    4. Start thinking. Continue freely adding lines till it looks like something.

If it will end up looking stupid then do second sketch based on the first one but with better pose / proportions / angles / perpective alignment.