Sketchbook: I am a secret. Please do not tell anyone.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I am a secret. Please do not tell anyone.

Edit: This thread is no longer my current sketchbook. Please visit this link to see my more recent endeavors.

Cheers to everyone.

I am a secret.  Please do not tell anyone.

Thank you everyone for your time.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Two Listen; September 2nd, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Listen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice! I love the shading and your imagination. You provide a lot to look at

5. The Following User Says Thank You to writingtool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always wonder when I walk down the street what other people's passions are. Looking at how they dress etc, and think, is that really what they do. Or looking at people like Janitors, cafe employers, bus drivers, etc etc...and think to myself, any of these people could be an artist!

Anyhow, you have a good start to your sketchbook. You seem to be able to use your imagination, that is a start. I think you should do more studying though, go back to the basics, look in other members sketchbooks and see what they are studying. Anatomy, perspective, color theory etc. Also, I think you should start using more reference, drawing from it, and drawing from life. You need to build a visual vocabulary in your mind. The studies are what will make you improve. You have a long way to go my friend, but if you really want it, get to work and don't look back. Hard work will pay off. But you have to really put it in.

Tell your girlfriend, you really want this, you want to impress her or whatever, and work every night. Or whenever you have time. If she is the right person for you, she will understand you. Don't disregard life though, as you need to experience life as well to benefit your artwork. But, put most of your time into building your skills.

Good luck!

~JB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JustinBeckett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    writingtool - Thanks for the words. Technically, my shading has a lot wrong with it. I intentionally in several of the drawings didn't attempt to stick with any one light source, I instead tried to use shading only for defining shape and volume. I need to work more on getting it right. Only the last few sketch pages were meant to be light source studies, so to speak.

JustinBeckett - Thanks for stopping by Justin. I use a lot of reference, much more than anyone is ever going to see first glance. I HATE doing life drawings, and studying/working on a direct reference. Someone once told me that our job as artists is not to make something real, only (in the event that it's our goal) to make whoever's looking at it think that it could be. For this reason, I very very rarely will ever do a direct reference. My images are usually composites of many references. It's not that I don't do studies, moreso that I just don't present them as such. They will always be incorporated into a very fictional or unrealistic painting or image.

The clouds, for example, in the last finished painting with the waterfalls. I had been referencing clouds for months, through photographs, other people's paintings here on conceptart and other websites. The clouds in that painting are a result of and part of my studying clouds. I just didn't want to do my studying just as a study, I wanted it to be a part of something bigger.

People deserve more than what they can get anywhere else. They deserve as artists to see all the ways in which we can incorporate learning into our work. This is what I want to do for myself, and what I want to show through my work.

Sorry I haven't updated anything more recently, real life - that sort of thing.

Five minute speedy, I'll be working on it in more detail later tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah man. Definitely a nice start.
    I feel the same way.
    "I am not a cold-hearted assassin, I am an artist."

Why not go to school or take some classes at the local community college?
    You undoubtably have more than enough potential to make your passion a reality.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to res01ve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This, I think, is crucial for your development

You are quite awesome at it and please don't stop working on what you love, I'm sure your GF will love the effort too. One thing though, you did it well in your conditioning of "I'm not a Janitor" and you know what, you are as much a janitor as I'm the world speed record breaker and most famous rock star!

That's right, you are not a Janitor and you made that point quite clear when you conditioned yourself that way, however you seem to be lacking another type of conditioning "I'm a renown artist" You specified to your mind and to the Universe what you are not, it's time to start with what you are you heard me. So Keep making beautiful art, and keep conditioning yourself and you will see the fruit of it soon.

P.S. When conditioning yourself always do so in present tense, not future. EG. "I'm a renown artist" <-- right vs "I will be a renown artist" <--wrong.

AF

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mrhugecojones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    res01ve - Haha, wish I'd thought've that one. So far as schooling goes, I have attended a few college classes (but recieved no credit for them, the teacher was a high school teacher of mine who allowed me to attend his drawing classes free of charge whenever I wanted). It didn't feel right for me, I wasn't learning a whole hell of a lot and felt I could progress faster on my own. College to me is more about the connections you make while attending, than the information learned. I'd like to attend some gatherings for artists here on conceptart.org or something of the sort, but I presently cannot afford to travel. We'll see.

mrhugecojones - Thank you for the words. I presently have conditioned myself to think "I am an artist, with the potential to become one of significance in the art community." Keep your dreams big, achieve them by knowing yourself and the rules of the world. That's about where I'm at, right now.

Here is the "finished" version of the 5 minute concept above. I think I'll call it finished for now, decided not to put the arrow or anything in it. Might go back to it a long time from now, who knows. Good practice regardless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mean looking clouds! I really like the colour and belnding. Nice start to your sketchbook (and if I told you anything now, I'd probably just be repeating what everyone else has said... Ah, okay, I'll do it anyway). Post more. draw more. have a snoop around all the forums, take part in some of the activities, comment and criticise in sketchbooks that have only two posts and ones that have thousands. and enjoy yourself!

I salute you, unjanitor.

What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gutss - Thanks for stopping in my friend. Yes, I've spent quite a bit of time studying clouds. I forgot to do a bit of erasing and blending with some of the highlights but that's ok. That's what I mean when I said previously, that almost none of my studies will appear as such. You could consider that a "cloud study" - along with the inclusion of completely inexplicable "god rays" that make no sense given the apparent light source. This is ok.

Here's a ten, twenty minute speedpaint testing out some brushes I made tonight. Not so great, but tomorrow's another day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff. How you described yourself is similar to what I'm going through myself - just recently deciding to work towards an artistic career. I'll be using this thread to see far how both of us go

Did you take any art/drawing classes before, or did you self-teach to paint those?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HauDoodles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You sound like an awesome guy, all I can really say is good luck reaching your goals of becoming an artist.
    Just believe in yourself. I believe in you!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Fraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In my completely unprofessional opinion, I believe that right now you should really really refine your style. You seem like someone who, in a career sense, would drift way more towards illustration. You've got so much creativity and more than enough skill to get work in that field. It might go against your morals, but would you rather be a sell out or a janitor?

I think if you really pinpointed your style and focused on that until you had a clear, recognizable one, you would have plenty of work.

And I'm really loving those clouds, good stuff man.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to erinel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    biomanz - Thanks for the comments. No I haven't had any classes, never taken any to teach me anything concerning my artistic...methods. Unless you count "drawing" in high school, but I certainly don't. I once attended a college class, a drawing class for students where art wasn't their major - but the teacher was a friend of mine, and we mostly talked of life - never learned any art there. I tend to progress fastest when I'm able to learn from my own observations, so what you see is just me experimenting.

Fraz - Can't really knock on someone who just called me awesome, now can I? Thanks a bunch! Sometimes it is...difficult, to believe in myself. A lot of people, when they see other artists so far ahead of them it's not even funny...they get inspired. I normally don't, unless I can see directly how they did what they did. However, I am a patient person, and I believe that in time I can achieve what it is I want.

erinel - Thanks for stopping by. Yes, you're absolutely right. I too, believe that now is the time when I should be defining my own style. It has been very difficult for me to do this, I've been trying for almost two years and I am never able to get a grip of what exactly I am as an artist, what will make me stand out. A big part of my problem, is that I'm generally very good at replicating other styles when I try it. This makes it hard for me to figure out what's "me" and what's a result of outside influence. I am presently trying a lot of very different things, and my hope is that in the end I'll naturally be able to combine them into a style more defined by the content of my images than anything else.

Sorry for not many images, real life is keeping me busy. The job search continues, can't even seem to get a job at a gas station. In the meantime, testing more brushes (most of which I'll probably wind up scrapping once I learn what's actually useful).

Hour and a half, obviously no reference. Never a reference unless explicitely stated. I feel like this one doesn't really...fit, parts of it came out in a bit of a different feeling than others. No matter, just practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your art is interesting and beautifull, i struggle to draw without references but your sb so far has inspired me to try harder i will be following it. 5 stars for your art and dream friend. good luck

25. The Following User Says Thank You to L0rin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man u sure put a lot of detail in ur landscapes, dont try to overkill it with details and forget about the big picture

nice works!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Joey-b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone. I didn't die or crap out on this. Sure it's been 10 days, but things have been...busy.

L0rin - Thank you very much. I have been relatively discouraged from an artistic standpoint these past few days. I will do my best to make this sketchbook something that the entire community can see, and be inspired by.

Joey-b - Hey there Joey. I've never really thought I put very much detail into things. It's nothing compared to what I'd like to do on a more regular basis, but you're right it has caused me to sometimes flat out suck at the big picture. I've been working on that as best I can more recently.

For the past week or so I've taken some time to sit down and really do some studying. Not so much on paper, but I've been looking at and taking note of a lot of other artist's work. I also took the time to learn how to create my own fonts, it was something I'd wanted to do for awhile. Took a day to do that.

For the past two days I've been working on my first set of custom brushes. I believe that if I can master my brushes and use them all efficiently it will help me progress a lot faster in my work. I don't want to use other people's brushes, though, as it feels to me a bit like cheating. I also think I'll learn more from using brushes I took the time to make on my own. Feels more personal that way.

And so after sitting down and creating a set of brushes I felt could suit most of my painterly needs, I attempted to use them in a quick painting. Nothing extravegant, just things like I'd done before.

And what happens? Not only does it suck, but it sucks bigtime. I didn't even manage something half as good as what I'd done in the past - in half the time! And I couldn't for the life of me figure out why, I just seemed...stupid.

After that I decided that it was a minor setback at most, and that I need simply be patient - look at my painting and others, figure out what I'm doing different, and attempt to correct it. I started by saying to hell with layers. In the past I would use a lot of different layers, create a new layer for every seperate thing in the painting. The second time around I decided to use only one layer.

So here's three images until a day or two from now. The first was my first and very much failed attempt, the second is the conclusion after taking a day to observe the first one, and the third is me sitting down one afternoon thinking to myself "You know those little people in people's paintings? Hmm. You know I'm really not very good at those." And so I doodled while making some new brushes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Really liking a lot of these designs, especially on the characters. With the environments, remember that for the most part, things will get bluer and less detailed as they move into the background. Bring in some atmospheric perspective, suggest shapes rather than detail them- save all that detail for the foreground, and keep the most saturated colors there! You've got a good thing going so far.

-Sid

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff. You are an artist. I love the pencil work. I'm a sucker for that stuff. Keep it coming.

The first step - especially for young people with energy and drive and talent, but not money - the first step to controlling your world is to control your culture. To model and demonstrate the kind of world you demand to live in. To write the books. Make the music. Shoot the films. Paint the art.
    -Chuck Palahniuk

Sketchbook

32. The Following User Says Thank You to IMBass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chagan - Thanks for the advice. I generally have found the atmospheric feel to be one of the easiest things for me, you don't see a whole lot of it primarily because I'm trying right now to do things I suck at as opposed to things I'm generally good at. Trying to improve with environments all the time.

IMBass - Thank you. I will be sure to keep it coming. Speaking of which...

Here's the third most recent attempt at an environment speedpaint with the brushes I made two days ago. You know, the ones I described in my last post an hour or two ago. Where I failed miserably the first try, studied a bit more and posted that second one next to it. Well, after posting I did a bit more analyzing and gave it a third try, here it is.

One hour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that last one is pretty solid. has a good palette knife kind of feel to it. looks like painter, really.

I recently set off a journey somewhat similar to yours. I spent 6 years (and 2 rotten girlfriends) working at barnes and nobles before a swift kick to the head from the foot of epiphany finally set me straight. I saved up, quit, got a meager web design job and saved up more, then quit and spent the next year and half studying non-stop. I can tell you, the most important thing in accelerating your progression is constant real-world practice. Dig around and find a life drawing class (or ask your fiance) and crank out figure studies like mad. Go to coffee shops and bookstores and turn out page after page of gestures. I only worked on anatomy study and digital rendering for the first part of my self styled curriculum, and all I've done is cake make-up on the ugly face of my mediocre fundamental skills. It's obviously important to nail down a solid rendering pipeline in Photoshop, but I'd say that is about 10% importance to the 90% importance of being capable with a pencil and paper.

Sorry to ramble. I just found a bit of kindred spirit in your intro post ;p

-: [ sketchbook | sour.org ] :-

35. The Following User Says Thank You to sourgasm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sourgasm - I understand your point. But I tend to operate better when I can experiment. I feel more comfortable doing that in digital, especially as of late. I'm the sort of person who's generally good with observation. If I see it done, I can usually remember it and use it to my benefit. Hence why none of my references are exact copies, I always try to do something unique with them.

Here is one more test run with the custom brush set I made a few days ago. I'm very happy with what I've learned, haha...even though I've still got a long ways to go. Looking from the, first, second, third above and then this one I do feel as if I've learned quite a bit in just a night or two, though. Things such as this are very encouraging to me, and make me wonder just what I could do if I did a ten, or a hundred in a few days instead of just two or three. I guess we'll find out.

Hour and a half. (Edit: Made a slight modification to it.)

Last edited by Two Listen; January 27th, 2009 at 01:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everybody has to start from somewhere. It's good to know that you are working really hard to get better. And for the record, you are really good!

Read this, and get inspired. All it takes is hard work and persistance. It will pay off one day.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=144069

38. The Following User Says Thank You to shamandalie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really neat environments, but it'd be cool to see some anatomy studies and/or life drawings. I read later up that you hate life drawing and studies, but they are vital to drawing figures especially and you could really enjoy yourself after you get over the first bump. I really hope things go well for you and keep drawing

40. The Following User Says Thank You to SamC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SamC - It isn't that I hate studying. Only that I hate studying that doesn't wind up benefitting me. Let me explain... I'm the sort of person who generally is able to learn very fast. If I am able to see it done, I'm usually able to replicate it - and from then on be able to replicate it again and again without reference. The problem is, however, that this works best with painting - where I see more technique that benefits me in all sorts of endeavors, as opposed to just one aspect or structure such as with anatomy.

Here's an example. A couple really crappy anatomy doodles. It occured to me recently that I need to master the human form a little bit better, because when I wind up getting really good - I don't anyone saying something like "Well sure he can do great environments, but his characters are all anatomical suckage."

Let's take the skeletal hand, for example. First skeletal hand I ever took the time to draw. Didn't take long, have it memorized. I can now safely replicate the dorsal aspect of the hand over and over again without needing any reference. (Well, unless there's some mistakes. Might be, I'll be sure to look over it more...) My problem now, is that in spite of my having the knowledge of the hand's various bones. It doesn't help me at all in something like let's say...being able to paint someone pointing directly at the screen, or slashing at somene with really long badass fingernails. Because I've never drawn the hand in either of THOSE positions, and in spite of my knowing the inner structure of the hand and how each part can move, I am without the ability to manipulate it in my mind with any sort of detail and replicate THAT from imagination.

Hence, instead of doing oh I don't know...an infinite number of hand gestures just hoping that I'll cover every single one I'll ever wind up painting so I can do it when the time comes, I'd rather figure what what exactly it is that limits me from really LEARNING and benefitting from these studies. Once I figure out what that is, more efficient studies will come - as I refuse to do simple studies just for the sake of having them - everything must have an understood purpose, as to be used to its full benefit.

...or...something. You'll see what I mean eventually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice updates, the mountain enviro is very cool

43. The Following User Says Thank You to L0rin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do see what you mean. But with most anatomy books they give you muscles shapes from all angles so that you begin to get a very good idea of what they look like as a 3d object that you can move, rotate and position as you like in your mind, so your not just trying to replicate the picture you studied from, but the actual object. Keep it up

45. The Following User Says Thank You to SamC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    L0rin - Thank you.

SamC - They do give you basic angles, and I can do the basic angles. But my problem isn't being able to do basic, it's getting over the hump that allows me to turn basic into extraordinary. My guess at present is that it will simply take work, and then more work. And somewhere along the line I'll figure out a key feature or technique that will slam it all together for me.

That's what always seems to happen, whether I mean for it to or not.

Quick speedpaint, one hour. Not happy with it, but it helped me confirm what I've learned by doing this series of five with the new brushes. My nose started bleeding last night and this morning, it must be because I'm doing a pathetic amount of painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got some really sweet character designs in your first post! And with all the landscape paintings you posted afterwards you developed a lot in using colors and shapes. I'm sure you'll make your way

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Felida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    legit work man, this stuff is a lot of fun, nice atmosphere in the last one
    I've noticed you choose a better color palate when you work on landscapes
    thanks for sharing man and keep it up
    -jedi

50. The Following User Says Thank You to jedininjaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you're not a Janitor..

Keep it up.. as Survivor said long time ago.. Got the guts, got the glory..

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Quike Garcia For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3