Art: Hello conceptart.org
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hello conceptart.org

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello conceptart.org

Heres a selection of recent work. I hope you like 'em! (clickable tumbnails)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work man i like the piece ya did with the eye could add sum pores to the skin man , that would be awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the hands.

Everything else is technically not as nice looking. Like you didn't observe the references as well for the other pieces. In particular, the face at the bottom is incorrect anatomically and it doesn't utilize any of those delicious colors you used in the hand paintings.

But you're obviously capable of great stuff, so don't get me wrong there.

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppyKitten View Post
    In particular, the face at the bottom is incorrect anatomically and it doesn't utilize any of those delicious colors you used in the hand paintings.
    I see what you mean about the colours, but I don't really want to use the same colours or style for all my work. I actually prefer the other pieces over the hands myself, because I quite like working loose and fast, whereas the hands took a while to get nice and smooth.

Also, the bottom face is a little sylized, but what exactly do you think looks wrong with it?

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ugh.
    i hate it when people talk about "style" when they dont have a style at all.
    that face isn't stylized, who are you trying to convince? puppykitten or yourself?
    if you're going to re-produce your reference exactly, you cant say its stylized. thats kind of a rule. also, it isn't finished anyway. finish up the hair, then call it what it is: painting practice. dont try to bullshit anyone here about "oh the face is stylized" because we are mostly true artists here and laugh at that kind of bullshit, because thats what it is: bullshit.
    the sooner you admit that to everyone, including yourself, the sooner you'll get better.

my suggestion:
    draw from life.
    and i mean DRAW. you've got some sausage fingers going on in there... study hands more. especially fingers, there's a great reference right there at the end of your fucking hand, so theres no excuse for closeup detailed sausage fingers.
    speaking of fingers, the finger pushing the lips around? awesome study, do more of that. but do the full face being stretched and pulled like that.
    the closeup hands are cool... but its obvious that they're re-productions of photos. again, nothing wrong with that, just call it what it is: painting practice. studies in light and shadow.

i get the feeling that the second piece down was done without reference.
    this is what happens when you rely too much on reference. it becomes a crutch.
    grab a pencil, find a life drawing class somewhere, ride the bus or the train, sit in a park, draw real people in real situations.
    you think that painting is loose and fast, i say its crap.
    wanna know why? because it doesn't have feeling and emotion, because you didn't capture the essence of the character, the pose, anything!
    by drawing from life in situations i listed up above, you'll be FORCED to work loose and fast, you'll be FORCED to get the essence of the pose down before the person moves or walks away, and in time you'll learn whats most important when doing a painting, what needs the most attention, where should i focus all my energy, etc
    look at andrew wyeth's work,
    yeah, he has a ton of paintings that are full of amazing detail... but look at his sketches, his quick watercolor studies he did before the paintings.... they're fast and loose, but they have that emotion, feeling, etc. you can see whats MOST important. he isn't just throwing around detail. he's directing you to the detail.

i hope that all makes sense... if not, label me an asshole and continue living in your bubble.

happy new year

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice, but I'm not trying to 'convince' anyone here. It's all painting practice - who isn't practicing when they're painting?

I don't think I have anything to admit to myself here, I know what I've done, I know I can improve and thats what I'm doing. Did you say that because I've put this in the "It's Finally Finished" section instead of the sketchbook section? If so, I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtSyndicate View Post
    i get the feeling that the second piece down was done without reference.
    this is what happens when you rely too much on reference. it becomes a crutch.

you think that painting is loose and fast, i say its crap.
    wanna know why? because it doesn't have feeling and emotion, because you didn't capture the essence of the character, the pose, anything!
    I have to disagree with you there, I think that piece does have emotion. It was a quick thing that I did where I reached a point that I liked, which had a strange kind of subtlety. The nose isn't quite correct and the mouth isn't defined harshly on purpose, but who ever said that everything HAD to be anatomically correct and everything HAD to be defined? Maybe if this was posted in the sketchbook section then your points would be a little more relevant, but the fact that I've posted them in the finished work section hints that they're finished and I've deemed them finished them for a reason.

Really, I do understand what you mean overall. Sorry if I've come on strong with this reply, but it's only in response to you doing the same.

Also, could you define what a "true artist" is for me?

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to disagree with you there, I think that piece does have emotion. It was a quick thing that I did where I reached a point that I liked, which had a strange kind of subtlety. The nose isn't quite correct and the mouth isn't defined harshly on purpose, but who ever said that everything HAD to be anatomically correct and everything HAD to be defined?
    Hello again! If you're going for that undefined look, where things bleed into the bg and even prominent features (like the mouth) are only hinted at, then I suggest using more expressive colors for those pieces AND broader brush strokes.

That technique can be haunting and beautiful, but right now, I feel like you aren't as proficient at it as you are at realism studies.

Oh, and when I say more expressive colors, I don't mean brighter or even more saturated colors. I actually think those pieces would look nicer with a less saturated highlight.

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyKitten View Post
    Hello again! If you're going for that undefined look, where things bleed into the bg and even prominent features (like the mouth) are only hinted at, then I suggest using more expressive colors for those pieces AND broader brush strokes.

That technique can be haunting and beautiful, but right now, I feel like you aren't as proficient at it as you are at realism studies.

Oh, and when I say more expressive colors, I don't mean brighter or even more saturated colors. I actually think those pieces would look nicer with a less saturated highlight.
    Thanks for the advice, what would you consider more expressive colours?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.