Sketchbook: Welcome to my bumpy journey - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to my bumpy journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jbrown67,

I'm scared of doing digital or color, yet lol
    Thanks, i will keep it up!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more.more.more

Attached Images Attached Images              

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pegasi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I think you should really try out charcoal. I think you need to just go a bit bolder with the values, and really pay attention to how that form is working. And don't forget to study your anatomy while doing those portraits -- you don't know what you think you know. By studying the understructure and realizing how it affects the forms above it, you will be able to see these things more clear and know what to look for, and most likely get them more correct in your art work. Keep it up!

BLAHBLAHBLAH

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bobby Chiu is been helping me getting back to drawing, thank you for your videos on youtube!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pegasi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a personal change. I've always come to hate my drawings but strangely I've come to accept it, and sometimes even like the drawings.
    I hope this change will make me draw more.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pegasi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So now I'm just trying to slowly gain the habit of drawing every day. No rushes, no super crazy objectives, just trying to make it an habit.
    I don't think it's gonna be easy but I have a clearer mindset, which is helping.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pegasi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never really felt the motivation or desire to improve my skills. I wanted to draw because I wanted to be good at drawing, but lacked a clear objective. I always had a weak motivation towards drawing (towards everything). That's why I stopped and picked it up again and again. Even thought I said many times to myself that I'd pick up drawing again and never stop ever, I stopped every time.
    I lack drive and purpose. I understood this because I'm starting to find a purpose. it's still weak, but it's the first time ever. A lot of first times in little time.
    My main objective now is to force myself to draw for a month and see what happens next. I've been interested in drawing for more than ten years, but never drew for more than 2 weeks straight. Always drawing and stopping, drawing and stopping.
    Now I'm 25 years old, and I just want to know if I really love drawing, because I don't want to be 50 years old and still don't have an answer.

I've always lacked motivation, I have trouble to wake up early, to study, etc. but at the same time I know I have it in me, the willpower to work hard. I just need to find the right motivations.
    When I was working as a "designer" (very crappy job, non creative) I worked 12 to 15 hours straight without complaining. Because I had a motive, an objective and the responsibility.

Ahah, this has turned more into to a diary then a sketchbook! I'll just post some more sketch's today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some more studies. Starting to understand some things about drawing from observation, even thought I'm only making crappy drawings. but it doesn't matter!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Master's studies today

the original first
    first attempt - 1,5 hour's
    second attempt - 2,5 hour's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    decided to draw the same face from the previous post, 15 min after, from imagination, to see what I'll remember.
    Interesting exercise, ahah!
    time: 15 min

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    still life
    2:50h

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pegasi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    charcoal studies. I'm having a hard time with proportions

20. The Following User Says Thank You to pegasi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more studies.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pegasi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey pegasi,i read all your posts on this topic and i hope you don't mind if i share my story with you.Because i have the same problem and i can feel you about that.since my childhood,i've always liked to draw,i've always known that i had talent.i started to study cinema 2 years ago.i realized my dream was to be an artist,a painter.so i dropped out last year and took drawing lessons.it was going really well actually.during this year,i've experienced so many bad things in my life and i couldn't feel any motivation.each night i've promised myself to draw tomorrow morning but i couldn't somehow.i've lost all my interest in art and also life.i gave up on drawing for 3 months till this week.now i feel courage more and more.you really inspired me.Because i can see myself in your posts.i can clearly see my mistakes now.

You always see the negative things about your drawings.Try to see positive parts and improve them.You really don't have any idea how you've developed your skill.especially i love that black boy.you are really learning to use dark values.try to finish each drawing that you start.i regret so much not to draw regularly.i could draw so much better but i chose to waste my talent all these times...but don't do that for yourself anymore.nothing will come to bring you motivation.it's already inside of yourself,your soul.don't waste your talent and be more optimistic about your drawings and life,please.i'm sure you also gave up so many things for your dream.don't you wanna wait and see the final resuts?at least you can say i did my best for my dream in the end.but at this point,you can't say that when you don't draw enough i guess.btw this is my first post lol.i've been following this forum for a while but your situation made me wanna write all those things that i thought they might help you.whenever you need somebody to talk about that motivation stuff,just send a message i hope i can see your new drawings very soon.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to therealqueen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey therealqueen, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful post. It made a big influence in me. You can say that you already helped someone in your very first post that's awesome.
    I never had talent, or a head-start. When I was younger I was never better than anyone. Actually, since my first day of school, until I was like 15 or 16 years old I was one of the worst in drawing. Then I started to draw more and I was able to catch up with the others.
    The thing is, you need to have a motive to draw more, and a strong one. At the beginning it may be sufficient to just wanting to improve, but in the long term, you need to really want to improve and become a successful artist for whatever reason. Only recently I'm beginning to understand this things.
    Because I was drawing from time to time, When I actually tried to finish a drawing I always became very frustrated and then I'd give up days after. This is what I'm trying to overcome.
    I'm drawing everyday for 25 days (more or less) now, and I say, not proudly, that it is my record (sight). I've been drawing from time to time, yes, but not everyday.
    I don't know if I have the "talent" or whatever it takes to make it, but know I know I would like to try, It makes a very big difference.

After we understand that this is the only way to go, and that art is what we want to do, than what's left is to just do it.
    Most of the time the problem is not the lack of love for art but actually that we don't love ourselves.
    We just need to seat down, don't thing of nothing, just putting the pencil in our hand and have fun drawing.
    One thing is certain, it may take 3 years, 10 years, 30 years, but in the end, it doesn't really matter. That's what I'm beginning to understand, and that's what could make everyone succeed.
    Hey, why don't you make a sketchbook too?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm glad to hear that i helped you in some way.it's great that you started to understand mentality how it can be done and you've been drawing regularly.keep going!i completely agree with you about loving ourselves.honestly i didn't love myself as much as i should.after all is said and done and everyone is gone,finally i realized that there is only left me in my life.i can only know how i want to make art.as long as we want to make it,we can.keep sharing your drawings!well,i haven't drawn anything recently yet.i think i'm still afraid to take a pencil in my hand.it takes courage after 3 or 4 months.But someday i will make a sketchbook here too

27. The Following User Says Thank You to therealqueen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying to focus on achieving accurate proportions and putting aside shading for a bit, I might do one or two studies but most of them are going to be just lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why do I need to have something to say? what about this: I have uploaded 3 times and all these 3 times didn't work. Batch Uploader needed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, the forth time I'm not uploading all at once, It seems better this way..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    last batch for today

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have improved a great deal since 2009. I'm glad you've come to like some of your drawings. First off, there is a reason to like them because I see good work in some of them. Second, it's a lot easier to keep drawing if you get the occasional success. When you feel down about a new drawing, remember that you can draw some things pretty well after all. Good luck and keep drawing!

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

33. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed about the improvement. I would pick up charcoal again! Those fruit and the kid's face in post#64 look good. Have you tried condensed brick charcoal?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Grunler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    You have improved a great deal since 2009. I'm glad you've come to like some of your drawings. First off, there is a reason to like them because I see good work in some of them. Second, it's a lot easier to keep drawing if you get the occasional success. When you feel down about a new drawing, remember that you can draw some things pretty well after all. Good luck and keep drawing!
    Thank you for the kind words! What motivates me even more is knowing that all this time I haven't been drawing regularly at all. i stopped all the time, and it is been only like a month and a a half ago that I'm starting to make drawing an habit(never before). Even though I'm not drawing for like 6 hours a day, I'm working a little everyday. I starting to really feel the will to turn this into a career.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunler View Post
    Agreed about the improvement. I would pick up charcoal again! Those fruit and the kid's face in post#64 look good. Have you tried condensed brick charcoal?
    Thank you man! Yes, I will get back to charcoal in time. Right now I'm trying to focus on proportions but Ill get back to it in the future, specially when making value studies. I think I tried brick charcoal, but I'm from Portugal, I don't really know all the names of the materials in English. I searched google and I could only see construction things!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I'm talking about: brick charcoal. If you draw with the broad side, you're more or less pushed to make marks that build proportion, structure, and value simultaneously. Very good for gesture drawing, as well as longer poses. I was a skeptic, but it's become my favorite dry medium.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Grunler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good amount of work in the right directions
    i especially like your life study drawings they are well done.
    keep up the good work!!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunler View Post
    This is what I'm talking about: brick charcoal. If you draw with the broad side, you're more or less pushed to make marks that build proportion, structure, and value simultaneously. Very good for gesture drawing, as well as longer poses. I was a skeptic, but it's become my favorite dry medium.
    Ah, yes. I've tried it but I haven't reaaaly tried it. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitily use it more!

AdrianNagorski Appreciate it man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by therealqueen View Post
    hey pegasi,i read all your posts on this topic and i hope you don't mind if i share my story with you.Because i have the same problem and i can feel you about that.since my childhood,i've always liked to draw,i've always known that i had talent.i started to study cinema 2 years ago.i realized my dream was to be an artist,a painter.so i dropped out last year and took drawing lessons.it was going really well actually.during this year,i've experienced so many bad things in my life and i couldn't feel any motivation.each night i've promised myself to draw tomorrow morning but i couldn't somehow.i've lost all my interest in art and also life.i gave up on drawing for 3 months till this week.now i feel courage more and more.you really inspired me.Because i can see myself in your posts.i can clearly see my mistakes now.

You always see the negative things about your drawings.Try to see positive parts and improve them.You really don't have any idea how you've developed your skill.especially i love that black boy.you are really learning to use dark values.try to finish each drawing that you start.i regret so much not to draw regularly.i could draw so much better but i chose to waste my talent all these times...but don't do that for yourself anymore.nothing will come to bring you motivation.it's already inside of yourself,your soul.don't waste your talent and be more optimistic about your drawings and life,please.i'm sure you also gave up so many things for your dream.don't you wanna wait and see the final resuts?at least you can say i did my best for my dream in the end.but at this point,you can't say that when you don't draw enough i guess.btw this is my first post lol.i've been following this forum for a while but your situation made me wanna write all those things that i thought they might help you.whenever you need somebody to talk about that motivation stuff,just send a message i hope i can see your new drawings very soon.
    haha same situation here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while since my last post! I need to update more often.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still a beginner and can't seem to go past that. It's been difficult. I still struggle so much with the basics like proportion, light and shadow, etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5