Sketchbook: Escape of the Circus Ponies

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Escape of the Circus Ponies

Heya! I decided I may as well start a sketchbook. It will mostly include horses, more specifically the weekly life studies I am starting at the barn. I am a horse lover, and they are my primary focus so expect tons.

I will be slowly branching out as I do my studies at the barn- drawing discarded blankets, disgruntled or bemused barn cats as I go. And since my art buddies are now running their own little challenge, I may be drawing some other things against my will. xD

To explain my black horse attachment:
    I have had a character in my mind for some time now, and with the premature coloring of this sketch, I've decided on his color scheme! xD His name is Gaugamela and while he is a heavier type of horse, he's not quite as heavy as this guy (the drawing of which I hate for good reason and shall promptly scrap), as he is an old fashioned racing horse (in a world before lighter breeds similar to TBs and Arabs were introduced D: ). I adore coloring blacks- they are extravagantly reflective, yet not mercilessly so like metal.

The second one is a life study I did of my mare. Let's just say I should appreciate that I even got as far as the lower one... As it were, nothing went as planned. xD I took her out, groomed her- yay! But by the time I got set up, a farrier arrived and we have to abruptly change from a comfortable location to a...tricky one. To sum it up, drawing her on that day was like drawing a toddler. Only the toddler is the size of three adults. And perhaps a bit dumber at times. But the fact that they are close to knocking you over and get snot all over your equipment is still the same. She also has disproportionate large ears that I accidentally made normal, and she is very expressive and quick- something I need to work on capturing.

Not sure what happened to the unwatermarked copy...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SirCalypso; October 11th, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hadn't planned on branching out so soon... When was the last time I drew a human? 2 months, 3 months? I'm guessing 4.... I dislike it so. But my art friends who usually draw equines decided it would be fun to OC a few challenges of the human variety, so here I am. Right now my process with the human is simply not caring. Or an attempt at a harmonious attitude that doesn't involve mentally stabbing the image, erasing it, ctrl+z, and typing killlkillkillkill to my companions.... Thus, I am just letting it go where it goes without too much concern over accuracy.

I've also included more random horses. The human has at least helped me realize how much I dislike that first post's horse's anatomy- everything is too stiff so I shall have to do it over.

RE wind in places:...heh... my ref was of a gelding and the character is a stallion, sooo... well, it made for interesting conversation, and the balls have since been made more...accurate? Maybe.

Last edited by SirCalypso; December 30th, 2008 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rough sketch for another member's friend's horse as a surprise late holiday gift, just waiting to get it approved and see if I am going to rework the expression from the reference. It was an interesting horse to draw, he's got smaller eyes and a larger head than I typically draw. Which is good, I need to distinguish my equines more.

The second was just a bunch of thumbs and silly coloring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for stopping by my Sketchbook!

You have some great horse sketches... reminds me I need to do a lot more animal sketches! I'm not good at 4 legged creatures at all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're welcome and thanks. ^.^ I am going to try and do some things besides horses, but they are my passion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made this for the Peer Project thread and liked it enough to put it over here. >.>

This was for exercise three. >.> I'm bad and didn't actually color in order....

3: Easy enough, I had a looksee at the link from briggsy@ashtons. Still trying to figure out this light source 3 dimensionality concept. >.>; Never been my strong suit, lol.

4: Getting a little better at it, this time I wanted to go for something a bit duller.

5: I actually saved this one for third to last, but ooohhh well. I was pretty excited to do this one. I had already guessed at what it may end up being, and then took a peek at the answers and saw I was right so yaaay. I'm obsessed with ridiculous reflections, so I positioned this one specifically there so it could get as many colors in as possible. It was frustrating trying to get a proper shadow in there, and at times the part facing the light was too soft and it was also frustrating trying to make it better. In the end I think I did well. I took a guess at the shadow and thought it would look best if the orange seeped in there as well- is that right? The little bottom right smudge is supposed to be reflected the black sphere.... I'm not sure how to do it without it looking that odd.

6: I pulled out a bowling ball, great recommendation!

7: I wanted to try something dull again, like maybe clay. >.> I was also starting to wonder about whether or not the shadows I am/was applying were misplaced. Again, not my strong suit- help?

8: I think I did this one fourth. xD I was attempting to make it look like worn metal...of some sort. >.> Since it was before I did the mirror one, I didn't yet have the idea that it should reflect the other spheres.

9: I was excited to do this one as well! It said sky blue, so I decided to make it look as if a little sky was painting onto it and have it lay in the grass- like a cute marble. >.> It is reflecting the color of the grass in its shadow, and the grass is reflecting the color of the marble in its highlights. Is that how it goes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was out of action for a few days because the darling dog chewed my tablet pen to heellllllll.

As it were, I find it interesting that one of the first drawings I do with my new replacement pen is draw a life study of her. Deliciously absurd?

ETA
    Fixed the image. She's a German Shepherd that turned two just last halloween, so I still consider her my puppy. x3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made these way last year and forgot about them. D: I still like them, despite the flaws in anatomy and the fact that OC 1.1 saves lineart for crap. >.>

The creature name is Nabu and they were made for a SIM that never was. :3

ETA

O.o;;; I made them TWO years ago, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finished this a while ago... Well, "finished."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanted a bit of relief and did these pictures based on my mare Calypso on the side. They started out as five minute sketches given an extra five minutes refinement, and then I just ran with it.

Next (in no particular order- or perhaps in reverse order given the amount of time each needs):
    Realism portrait and accompanying tutorial(s?)
    Trotting Arabian commission
    Przewalski for the breed a week challenge on wetcanvas
    Add Charlie lineart to the Coloring Bin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool horses. It's good to see you drawing your passion as it makes the lines that more personal. I think it would be good practice to try a few horse skeletons, to help with proportions and the give the surface rendering a better flow. Following that it would be good practice to do some muscle groups etc... Keep up the practice, looking good ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh, skeletons. xD My bane, my bane, my bane. I have tried a few and didn't like the results so I never uploaded them, or saved them for that matter, tho I am fond of skulls. I shall try them again and again, tho! Thanks for reminding me, and for the lovely comment!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have much in the ways of obnoxiously recent digital work, and while I do have traditional doodles, they're not something I'd put up here, or most places (even if they're cute!). Mostly dynamic horse sketches from memory and some stylized skeletons from memory. So here are some things from the not-so-distant past (in no particular order).

The first version is the one I prefer, the second is the same image lightened a bit.
    Edit... Hm, okay my file actually exceeds the size limit, so I'll have to use image tags after all.
    ^Slaughtered horse study, made in Open Canvas

This is what that "wind in places" image eventually morphed into, and is still a work in progress:

^Mainly, I'm working on dynamism as, in the art I see, it isn't as common place for horses as it is for humans.

My second realism that I've learned a lot from. I've received critiques on the conflicting sharpness of the eye versus that of the rest of the horse, and I've made note of that for my next realism attempts.

This is also a work in progress, as I received critiques on some conflict between the legs and the body that I need to go back and correct before coloring (also the tail, but I've decided to leave it as it is because I enjoy the style of it):

A fairly quickly done birthday Arabian lineart for the owner of a game I used to play, and it also colored in the design of one of my characters:

At the moment I am working on creature concept designs for my personal species of flying, horned equine and also character designs for my favorite/currently conceived members of that species. Which means lots of skeleton practice, and eventually muscle work, some of which I hope to post here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remembered this study!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely your horses look like they have a lot of personality to them ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not the most expressive of my pieces (it's a redline), but this one really helped me think about 3D again. And also think about the definition in the jowls, as well as the size of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is WIP of an art trade with another member of DA who'd drawn my Arabian. The final will be of a QH gelding, but for my purposes I've made him more stallion-like and sporty. I'll probably adjust the sporty-ness towards the end.

You can see my initial sketch here:
    http://tala-twilight.deviantart.com/...crap-139089037
    I'm still fond of it as it was the first horse I'd drawn in months and it turned out well considering (besides the ears and how the head put up a fuss, lol ). I just felt that, cute as it was, it was too stagnant and thus conflicting with the wild, dynamic, and expressive style I was trying to cultivate, so I scrapped it.

I left my ideas for the trade on the back burner while I developed other concepts, and it was only tonight that I was inspired enough to start another version. I'd just finished reading a book on composition (and another one about lady knights) and I wanted to practice the very basics I had learned by incorporating them into my image. I'm already loving the difference! I'm still not in the habit of making proper thumbnails before diving in, but I'm at least trying out a few poses before settling down on one (I actually drew closer to ten sketches, but I only kept copies of three, especially since a lot of the ones I didn't like were similar).

Slide one:
    The skeleton for my composition
    Slide two:
    First failed attempt
    Slide three:
    Failed attempt at salvaging
    Slide four:
    A new "thumbnail" pose where I flipped the canvas. I liked how it fit with the composition, but I didn't feel it met my purpose
    Slide five:
    What I decided on.

For that last one I was extremely loose in my sketching, without regard to anatomy and instead focusing on 1) staying in line with the composition guidelines and 2) creating strong, loose line with regard only to basic form. Focusing on anatomy is what I did for those other images that I failed in, so why not take a risk with something new? The line inspiration came from a study sketch done by Eugène Delacroix, and I also drew inspiration for the hindquarters from "Arabian Horses Fighting in a Stable," also by Delacroix. I expect to have a couple more drafts- and perhaps add in some background elements- before addressing the anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Roughly 2 hours of work since I first began. I've gone over the hind quarter and the shoulder with boxes and then redid the hind with perspective in mind (I'm doing so many "firsts" in this piece!). I am not satisfied with the way the should was done (almost there, not quite), so next time I work on this piece I'm going to be boxing the head, legs, and rib cage, and re-boxing the shoulder to better fit my idea. I think before the boxing I will go over the whole body again with a more loose sketching style so I don't lose the momentum of it. The working title is "Rampant."

Just to remind you of the "before":
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...awRoland25.jpg

With all those perspective lines (the horizon and ground are in blue, but while I was working everything was red where as the lines to represent the boxes were purple- it got a bit confusing!):
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...awRoland22.jpg

Without:
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...awRoland21.jpg

I could have worked more, but I could tell I was on the precipice of burning out or having a major break through, and felt it would be best to just relax instead as I've been having issues with being "intense" and hyper focused.

*And your eyes aren't deceiving you, I've moved the horse slightly down on the canvas.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.