Thanks

Question "flow jitter" equivalent in painter?

I recently have been trying out painter, and i think I enjoy using it more than photoshop. However, I cant seem to find the one thing that I use on almost every brush I use in PS which is the flow jitter. Is there a similar control in painter? I do not like to use the opacity control because I dont like the color to build up on if my stroke overlaps itself.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    rattsang is offline i am destructor bahhhhhhwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jasongardner View Post
    I recently have been trying out painter, and i think I enjoy using it more than photoshop. However, I cant seem to find the one thing that I use on almost every brush I use in PS which is the flow jitter. Is there a similar control in painter? I do not like to use the opacity control because I dont like the color to build up on if my stroke overlaps itself.
    in ps flow is an airbrush type control- it controls how fast the paint comes off the brush. this is also a feature of painter but it act differently because the brush engine is different.

in ps because opacity is stroke based you can set an upper limit to how opaque the paint is- in painter you cannot.

the ways you can control flow are through "flow" for the airbrush brushes and also "continuous time deposition" and resat work in similar ways- however the results look different from ps because of the way opacity works.

simply put -you are wasting your time trying to make brushes in painter act like ps- it is like trying to get ps brushes to blend like in painter

to use painter most ppl adopt an opaque style where they block in values or colors opaquely and then blend rather than trying to work values up transparently like in ps.
    its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thats actually how I tried to use PS when i first was messing around with it, with little success.
    Its not that I want the painter brushes to act exactly like the photoshop brushes. I just like that one aspect of it for my painting style. I usually do a lot of coloring with a small size brush with a bunch of strokes as opposed to one stroke with a large brush. I think it comes from doing pencil sketches all the time and not doing much color until I started with digital art. I guess you could say my style is similar to a kindergartner with crayons.

I think I have found a good setting for me with the opacity and resat set for pen pressure.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I have a question on the topic at hand, directed more at Rattsang.

I've been using painter for quite a while now and noticed that my "opacity" setting doesn't do much for my opacity sensitive brushes, like pastels and such. Is this what you're referring to? Because it STILL confused the hell out of me until I read that, and was hoping that that was the explanation .

On a side note... for whatever reason... when using my pressure sensitive brushes to blend, having a lower opacity seems to work. That implies to me that either there's some effect somewhere or that it's all mentality at that point. Any clues on this?
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

rattsang is offline i am destructor bahhhhhhwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
    Thanks
    hi quigleyer!

the reason the opacity doesnt seem to make a difference is that it is dab based in painter. what this means is than the opacity value is applied to each individual dab rather than the entire stroke like in ps. so your probably thinks wtf does that mean, well put very simply it means that in painter opacity is directly related to spacing. therefore the only way to see opacity as you would expect to see it (like in ps) is to turn spacing all the way up so there are gaps between the dabs. try this and you will see that under these circumstances opacity will behave in a similar manner to ps. you can then conclude that the closer the spacing the less the opacity value will affect the total stroke.

for blenders or brushes that can blend , due to low or no resat opacity no longer refer to color but rather is how strong the blend effect on the canvas is and how opaque the color that is pulled is- there fore more opacity and less blend is not the same as more blend and less opactiy. more blend will be smoother while more opacity will have harder edges.

well hope this answers your questions

rat
    its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jasongardner View Post
    Don't know if this will help you, but under the brush controls there is a tab labeled "random" go there to mess with jitter control. Pick your expression style and you should see some interesting results. Also try playing with the Spacing and Angle tabs to further enhance your brush flow behavior. Like Rattsang said you won't get an exact photoshop brush result - although in my experience damn close or by accident sometimes - better.