Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: danlambert's sketches - 22nd August

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Love the illustration at the top of the page! So cool, great depth!

Keep at it Dan, these are looking great!
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snootchy View Post
    hey Dan thanks again for the crit will definitely work on!! Woh dood your SB is awesome, i soo dig your pencil sketches! How do you get such a soft touch or good blend? Do you use a blender or just hatch softly and gradually work up your darker tones?

Keep up the great work dood!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil
    No problem dude. Thanks! I used to use a blending stump every now and then, mainly for things like lips. More recently I do it the way you mentioned, building up gradually. I use my little finger sometimes if I want a softer edge or something. I think mostly it's just patience, can take a pretty long time.
    Peace

5. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Having another go at rendering out some blank linework from imagination. It's hard. I need to do more studies. Feel free to tear it apart...no no, I insist.

Just looked at it again and have decided I need more midtones.

Aaaaaand some weird shitty old man sketch. Been doing loads of Bridgman studies, trying to do them as fast as I can, decided to try a portrait as fast as i could. Used ink so I wouldn't get all pencilly. Then took a shit photo, adjusted in photoshop, then painted in the highlight after dropping in a grey multiply layer. I kind of like it, not bad for 10 mins work.

Just about to start another self portrait, might have a go at colour, I took some cool reference shots yesterday!

Peace

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    YALL GOT THE MADD RENDER"N SKILLS yeah an the ol" guy rocks yer ink lines are GREAT"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey dan great update and glad that you're thinking much more deeply about rendering form from the mind, but before that happens i think deeper studies in casts or even photo that matter is best for getting to terms with how light falls off an object or the planes on it (i'm guilty of this and still try to do from false preceptions of the mind). Also i think it helps greatly to break values down to the most basic, almost of that when you squint your eyes at the subject and see only few values. Once you have the major values, say about 3 to 4 then comes the itsy bitty tones needed to push it to realism. It really helps i think to break it down systematically, and not get lost in all the subtle greys.

I think you have great rendering capabilities, definitely a lot better than anything i can do and i think doing some of the studies mentioned above will just solidify that.

BTW totally dig the hottie portrait above!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Take a holiday.

Your rendering is fine if anything you're too wound up. Loosen up, if only a little. I was the same way years ago it, feels weird the first couple weeks- fighting the urge to jump back in, a lot of time I felt like I was forgetting something...
    Beside this, if I were going to picky (since you invited me to =P ) I'd say you should concentrate more on the , placement and forms of your shadows and not how good the look,(except for the self portraits-magnificent) other than that I got nothing. Keep up the studies, your work is good, you have a sensitivity in your work that most people don't have, but beware sometime it can be a little overbearing and make an image just a tad too sentimental. Be firey every once in a while! ( your pencil work is bad ass too.)
    Digital Jetsam -Desero's Sketch Book

Desero's CA Gallery

Nature adores annihilation.
    -Frank Zappa

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Desero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well she's beautiful Dan. I totally do NOT trust my judgment yet but is her right eye on a slight angle - as in a touch too high on the outer side? What would I know. Look forward with great expectation, excitment and eager anticipation to your self portrait. haha, pressure.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jigje For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think the old man's sketch is one of your best so far, do more of those! Concerning the other portrait I'd agree with snootchy, but they're looking wuite nice so far. maybe you can get into the same mood as when you were drawing the old man when doing the digital portraits hehe
    “Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nele Klumpe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Spect - Thanks man, shame my values are crap!

snootchy - I completely agree, in fact as I was painting t I was thinking I need to do more studies! I'm definitely going to try the limited value suggestion, as like you mentioned I tend to get lost in all the subtle tones too early. My excuse for this one is that I've been trying to indent in my head that females should be painted/rendered as softly as possible. Think I took it a bit too far though. But yeah thanks again for the advice.

Desero- Thanks, I find it much more difficult to paint loosely on females as I think they need a softer touch. Definitely something I'll work on though thanks.

jigje- Thanks! You should always trust your judgment, and you are completely right. I noticed it, but as it was supposed to be a form exercise I let it slide this time. Pressure!!!!

AvisNocturna- Really? will do, thanks. It was nice finishing an image so quickly. I'll try, thanks again!

Decided to leave the colour one for now and do a few value studies instead.
    1st for today, about 35 minutes I think, probably used too many values but I'll cut it down to 4 for the next one.

Bit worried this one might look a bit weird as I'm working outside so can't see my screen as well as I'd like, stupid glare.
    Last edited by danlambert; July 2nd, 2009 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    THIS IS RAD' i instantly recignized you from yer othe SP's an what ya used like 5 values i heard that 5 or six is the way to go an not get lost
    HAHA THATS FUNNY! i only have one crappy light for my living room an kitchen so i have to have it angled behind me an to the right so i can see my keyboard but lol'd it glares on ma screen an some times i forget an it throws me off but i usually ''bob an weavie'' got'sta have JUKES'

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Hey dan!

Actually my favorite piece in here so far is that old guys face a few posts back. It really has a good bit of character, and it is quite an honest portrayal, these others are a little to smooth for my liking.

-E

Thanks
    Quick self portrait from life. It's unfinished as I had to relinquish the mirror to my mum. About 40 minutes, I know I didn't mark out the structure or anything but I just wanted to draw the way I find easiest; start with an eye and work out!

Step dad is trying to fix the scanner as we speak so I should hopefully be able to scan my sketchbook later today, instead of these crappy phone pictures.

Another quick value self portrait to come and a colour portrait, plus at least one more of those scribbly ink things *Posting so I don't slack*

Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast