Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snootchy View Post
    Hey Dan freaking suhweet update brah!! Your hatching is superb, and luv the johanssen portrait sketch!

As for quality or quantity, i think it's important to have a fine balance. Personally i feel I learn the most from long studies, because you become really familiar with the subject your painting or sketching. I think the most important thing is always to ask yourself, Is what I'm doing improving the image or not? This happens to me to, where I can get stuck in little details or midgreys and take a step back and be like, 'that didn't do squat!'.
    So i think it's important to realize what you're doing has an impact on the overall image, so take a step back, take a look at the overall piece see what is needed, what isn't and take it from there.

I think quantity comes after doing a lot of careful studies, I'd rather post one bomb diggity sketch over 100 low quality stuff. (I know I'm a hypocrite but in theory sounds good, hehehe!)

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    [B]Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil
    Thanks man.
    I think I'm the same way, but that might just be because I'm used to doing longer studies/drawings. I can't really decide, so I'm just going to try to do more of both I think!

Moving house tomorrow. No internet and no TV (not that I watch it anyway) for at least a week I reckon. So should have no excuse for not working like a madman for most of the day. Expect lots of everything. If there isn't lots when I come back, feel free to nag the shit out of me!

Peeeace!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    nice updates,
    I'm having the same issue with finding a decent balance between doing in depth studies and doing more fast sketches and fast studies.

I agree with Snootchy on the learning part, but I think doing faster work, keeps the creative juices flowing. Hmmm... it's all about keeping the balance between quantity and quality.

But keep working your ass off, it's loking good. ^^

Thanks
    hi hi, I asked the same question in my sb once. I think it is a balance, but it also depends on each day. Bust out a bunch of pieces, review them, see what your weaknesses are, and then spend some time doing long studies on your weakness. Lets say you draw a couple quick portraits out,and notice that your lips are never in proportion with the rest of the face, spend the next day doing some quality studies with lips and structure.

hope that helps your last few posts have been ROCKING
    "Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    The skintones in your last coloured portrait look pretty good! Maybe you can try to block in colours a little more and leave some brushstrokes visible.
    About the quality/quantity thing:
    I'd also say both is important. But when you do a quick study, do it quick. Don't think about details too much, don't render everything, but instead try to put everything in place and finish the whole thing on a not-so-much rendered level (gosh, my english sucks, I hope you get what I mean). Don't render some of it and leave the rest untouched. That would be a long study, hehe. Otherwise it's just a not finished long study, I'd say.
    And when you do long studies, do them carefully and have an eye on the details. The quick stuff is important, because it's the base for every detailed picture, which are also important, to know when you're stuff really is finished. (Er yeah, I'm the right to say this, should practice careful studies as well *coughs*)
    “Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

Thanks
    Hello everyone, Just quickly checking in (managed to steal a wireless connection from a cafe in town!). All moved in, quick sargeant study I did yesterday. Likeness isn't all that great but imitating the strokes was fun. Also a quick composition change test for that illustration from a few weeks ago. I opened it up yesterday and had a quick play before I went to sleep/ Also made a few colour adjustments.

Thanks for the comments, I've definitely taken them onboard and hopefully that will come across when I can scan and post more stuff.

Thanks and peace

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,280 Posts
    mang yer portraits are FREAK'N SCARY GOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Whoa, I actually jumped a bit back when the last picture there got on my monitor. I think that means it was a good job, hehe.

Keep tuning the wheels.
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Thanks for commenting in my SB and great stuff u have here !... I totally love ur pencil rendering. Very tight and neat. Ur skin painting skill is also getting really good. But i notice u havent really play on the color temperature which i think is really important in making ur painting more dynamic and alive.

Keep posting
    -JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    I totally agree with Grandmassa, your portraits are amazing sir

I love the expression on the guy's face on the illustration.

Keep it up! Can't wait to see more

(Free bump, yay)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Scarlett Johansson looking smokn' as ever

In fact all of your portaits are looking real good! like these! - http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1246663088

Your illustrations going great as well, digging the rendering on the face!

Keep em' coming Dan!
    matt
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Hello there, no arty stuff to post yet, left my pendrive at home (clever boy) quickly checking in to beg for help.

Please! It's driving me mad, I read these books as a kid and I can't for the life of me remember the damn names!

It's a series of books, story focussed around spheres of different materials engraved with a cross, and a boys search for them. I think he was part of a larger group of people who helped out.
    I think there was some old building or hall that acted as refuse and by joining hands in a circle the dark could be kept at bay.
    I'm not 100% sure but I think there was an element of time travel, although I could be mistaken .
    I think the spheres were based around elements.
    I remember at least one of them being located in a secret compartment in a fireplace, and possibly another one being located in the fire itself.
    The spheres were mystical or magic or something cool. He was trying to collect them before some dark force could.
    I also remember the boys brother sending him a large box at christmas containing some kind of mask or head that had antlers and may have been based on a stag. I think this image may have appeared as a cover on one of the books.
    I think ravens or black birds of some kind were of significance and featured.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh were they called!!!???

Please help me before i go insane.
    We have to do a self-directed project next year for my illustration course and I would really like to do something based around these book/stories.

Heeeeeeeelllllllllllllppppppppppp!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Thanks
    you have to think of other things like what year was it when you read it was it older than that year an google the $#!+ OUT OF IT ! TRY REMBERING OTHER THINGS YOU WERE DO'N WHEN YOU READ IT was it in clase at home ect you probably rember what its called you just cant recall it good luck HAHAAAHAAA

Thanks
    YEEEEESSSSSSSS, fucking brain wave, the name just popped in to my head after an hour of unsuccesssfully goggling the shit out of every combination of words and phrases possible.

The Dark is Rising!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Right, finally got to a scanner in the uni so I have a big ol' load of sketchbook pages. Not all of them as one page of studies is pretty much the same as another. I've been trying to work a lot more from imagination as I really wasn't doing it very much before. Also been trying to do more quick gesture scribble things.

Also decided that all the negative stuff I would write or say to myself was probably not helping so I'm trying to be more constructive there as well.

We have a danlambert study of a Manet study of Monet (not of his work, it's actually a inking of Monet). This is and always has been one of my favourite works of art, was nice to get to paint it again!

Skull study...because skulls are awesome. Learnt a fair bit about colour in this one I think, I spent ages trying to figure out the shadow colours and it turned out to basically be grey. The blue I was seeing was because of all the blues in the background.
    Hoping to buy a replica skull soon so I can get some life drawing done!

I kept tweaking the illustration from before, trying to get the colours to sit better and get more of a focal point. Over did it on the face but I think it's working better overall.

Quick silhouette paint thing, and a lighting/rendering exercise I started last night. Just blocking in colours and values atm, still need to throw in some highlights and stuff. It's not supposed to be an illustration so I'm not worrying about costume or anything like that too much. All from imagination btw. Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks
    WICKED UPDATE my fav is the orange silho but the're all pretty RAD'

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast