Art: WIP reel to break into the film/feature industry

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP reel to break into the film/feature industry

http://www.justinfalgout.com/DemoRough.mov

Hey everyone, I've been around this site for quite a while, but this is my first post of my work.

I just finished up some game contract work and I'm looking to break into the film/feature animation industry. I'm hoping this reel will get me there. Unfortunately, the project I was working on won't be released until Q2 or Q3 of 2009, so none of it will be on the reel.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for checking out my stuff!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can say with certainty that I think you need to turn the music down or off entirely as the majority of the dialogue is hard to hear. The other stuff seems ok, but I'm not an animation major. The guy running, jumping, then rolling is good however the running portion seems a little too stiff and upright, and he seems to recover realllly fast from his landing. Maybe look at free-running for reference.

Keep up the good work!

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When the first guy is on the wall his hands look pretty dull - can they be grabbing the wall somehow? Or maybe even have them not even? Just looks a little weird to my eye.

Why does he fall? Is he being shot? His head looks like it jerks a bit but it looks more like a bad key than anything else. Make him react to being shot maybe (have his torso jerk back at impact for example).

The actual fall looks really good though.

If your guy is running fast enough to be able to jump that distance his body could probably do with leaning in a bit as he runs to the light, he is a bit stiff looking.

The guy talking Billy Crystal - when his shoulder shrugs it seems to pop, see what it looks like if his head moves at the same time. It kinda feels like you forgot to put something there, you know? I like what you did with with De Niro though

The thieves walk seems a bit mechanical at the start? I think it has something to do with how the feet move... always looks like he's on his toes. Have him maybe notice the thing around his foot a bit more, maybe lean into it a tiny bit before he gets pulled up - I had to watch this again to actually realise what was happening. It's fine that you don't actually have the trap there but you need to make sure whoever is watching it knows whats going on.

The guy at the end is cool - you know what you hear something suddenly and you jump a little? Give that a shot before he sits up? Seems too deliberate, rather than a quick reaction which is what you are aiming for.

You're doing really well though, keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got an update on this or something? Don't leave us hanging.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,615 Times in 3,775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the more finished bits, but you need some music running behind everything to make it more cohesive. Stick the first bit in later. Add some wrap around shots of your characters as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are pretty good, you know what you're doing. The running part seems a bit akward, maybe too stiff?

Call me Oblivion (devArt account)
    Carpe Diem - Seize the day
    Carpe Noctum - Seize the night
    Carpin Denim - There's a fish in my pants

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys I appreciate all the feedback, I did some changes with a few shots. The biggest one being the sneak was completely redone. There was also some minor stuff with the dialogue and some pose changes to the creature animation.

www.justinfalgout.com/DemoWIP2.mov

Earendil: Yeah that was a little after effects screw up. I had my old reel on a different layer and forgot to turn the sound off. I did look at a lot of free running reference, but obviously nobody's that extreme so I ended up mending a few different jumps together. The major reference was from this video around the 0:50 mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x98jC...eature=related

Skenvoy: I haven't had a chance to make any changes with your suggestions yet, but i'll get those done in the next few days. I really appreciate you taking the time to break down my shots.

Black Spot: Music will come later in post, right now I'm really trying to nail down the animation.

oblivion_dragon: You're right it is a bit awkward. I'll try loosen it up a bit and see if that helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.