Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Um i dont know if im going blind or not but where is this new search function on CA? I can get to it threw the link in this forum but i can't find the image search on the website anywhere. Am I just not seeing it or do we have to use the link to get to it?
    Check out my sketchbook: Draw or Die

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Oh wow. Thank you Jason. This is such an amazing effort! Its really deeply appreciated.

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    I'm not sure how to express my amazement at your generosity and commitment to opposing any exploitation of this bill by dedicated pay-per-use registry agents. I could see the field of internet registration of images becoming very big business indeed, and this is like "prevenge" against them. You got them in the kneecaps before they got to run away with our money.

Anyways, I guess a huge thank you is due from myself and all the other members of this community. If you needed to establish a "tip jar" to help pay for these terabytes you're putting at or disposal, not to mention all the costs that acompany them, you would be welcome to the odds and ends in my paypal account, and I'm sure most peoples.

While I know that this is given as a present from you to us, the size and nature of it is pretty staggering. There is no need for a CA member to now panic about the Bill and the abuses it could open. We're still worried about it, and it is still necessary to oppose it as much as possible, but CA has given our works a home. My hat is off to you sir.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    I already see this database becoming "pay per view".
    200 TB space and unlim traffic cost a lot after all.
    [] sketchbook [] [nsfw]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    One thing I don't understand is how the Orphan Bill works internationally? As it decides what you can do with images you find over the internet.. but the USA doesn't own all the content of the internet.. logically because I'm from Europe my images would be protected?? Looks like another attempt of USA politics to strange the world..
    A U.S. copyright is a right to exclude others from using that work in the United States. Getting the work called "orphan" is a way to ignore the author's right to exclude use of the work by others in the United States. Other countries have their own laws that determine who has the right to exclude, if any in that country. CA.org has just made it easier for you to exclude people using your works in the United States.

The problem with the orphan works bill is that the United States is a really big market. If somebody is ripping you off in Cambodia it might not be all that much money out of your pocket, but if somebody rips you off in the United States it could hurt a lot.

If you want to do something about the Cambodia rip off you either have to go to court in Cambodia or, if Cambodia is a signatory of an appropriate treaty, there may be an international tribunal to which you can go. The proposed changes to U.S.Copyright law don't affect this situation.

About the difference between CA and other databases and the reasonableness of a search: That is why it is so very important that Google highlighted the leadership recently. That was because this is a leading place that people are brought to when they do visual art content Google searches now. It is not reasonable for people to ignore CA in such a search.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,430 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paran0id View Post
    I already see this database becoming "pay per view".
    200 TB space and unlim traffic cost a lot after all.
    you can support the site by picking up the downloads and going to the workshops. what you see has NOTHING to do with how we run this site. If I had that mentality this site would be covered in advertisements and corporate content. I already know how much it costs to run this site, thank you. And it is a lot. We do about five terabytes transfer each month and close to a hundred mil page views a year. Though if you wanna insult our integrity I am happy to send you an invoice each month for the server bills. haha!

jason

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mwillustration View Post
    thanks so much jason and ca! great idea.
    one little thing i just noticed...
    it seems like the search comes up with usernames as copyright holders instead of actual names, which is understandable, but...
    should we then change our usernames to be our actual names so that our images on here are attached to our actual copyright holder names instead of just ca usernames?
    As long as the image is in the database your username will suffice. If you wish to put your real name in the copyright by you may do so. However as long as your username is there you can be found.

jason

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpian View Post
    This is great, and I'm sure you will fix any problems and bugs as soon as you can, but just a comment about the artist search: Right now it only seems to know usernames, rather that real names, for example I found no pictures on Dan Dos Santos, but when I searched DSillustration I got at least two pictures that weren't made by him, but they were still watermarked as copyrighted to him. Here he did a paint-over for Eric Fortune, so this picture shows up as copyrighted to him...

But this is a great initiave nevertheless, as the orphan works bill will affect artists outside the US as well... Thank you ca.org and Jason and everyone else who have this vision!

Yeah we have some cleanup to do on old images. His other images he shows on the site using IMG tags are not yet released in the viewer. Patience young jedi.

Each user can edit their copyright info. The system automatically puts the username if no info is included, at least allowing the person to find someone who posted the image, and thus helping track down the original owner. This is why ca now requires copyright info to be posted. Older images will still need editing by those who posted them. It is going to take time to go through everything...but at least the base is set up to do so now.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love you.
    And if I had a job and roof over my head, I'd donate to keep this up.
    "Sadly, most artists prefer to give the elite their attention."

Thanks
    CA is one of the best things that ever happened to the internet. And maybe one of the most important things in our time Art History. The future shall shown the importance of this place to all!

Fuckin love the place!!! Thanks Manley, thanks Massive Black, thanks CA!!
    My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009

Thanks
    I can't stress enough the importance of what you're doing here
    VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Jason, Massive Black, And Concept Art.org, I love you guys!!!! This is an incredible gift. Thank you so much for doing this. I already owe this community so much for all that you've given me and now I owe you even more. Thank you! Jason, you had mentioned in Revelations Seattle, that you'd never put ads on the site, and that really moved me. Such integrity is a rarity in a world that looks to make as much money as possible. And this only reinforces how much the art matters to you and how much the community means to you. So thank you again.

CA for life!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanks for all of this Jason.
    One question though, is all of the drop down menus needed or is it just for added searchability?
    I know quite a few people find it a hassle to input all of the information, especially when doing a huge dump of sketchbook pages or studies. If it is just for added searchability, can you please make it optional?
    Thanks

-Fraz

Thanks
    Wow.... CA MB and most importantly Jason thank you so much for this!! makes me proud to be part of this place, even if ive only been so for a little while, i always feel accepted... (o and btw ive always loved your profile thumbnail =) )

guys just a question that popped into my mind about what i think "blackman" said about our government not representing us or something....

well.. the last time i checkd not one single congressman (or woman) is an artist, or writer or anything of the sort.... soooo isnt that kinda like textbook taxation without representation? isnt that a big part of what we had our little war for? is there some kinda of petition or protest that we can join? cuz i wanna help do something about this, and id love to donate, but ive no job, and i cant get one for about 5 days when i turn 16, but thats not important... things need to be done about this... i think we should all write to our congresspeople about this... i know jason said that they didnt do much the last time, but i still feel a responsiblity to join in with this... dont you? we're the ones that are benefitting from what jason and everyone has done, but what have we really done ourselves? any ideas guys?

Thanks again Jason!!!

Thanks
    also, i went to make a thread for this forum, and when i tried to upload an image it asked for who owned the copyright... now should i put my real name for that or my username? sorry you might have already answered this...

thanks again!!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast