Art: Registry Forum FAQ - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Registry Forum FAQ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all...thank you!

Secondly... Out of curiosity, and this may be a stupid question but, how does posting on here differ from posting art on sites such as deviantART which gives copyright options, watermark option, and the ability to contact the artist as well? Just trying to understand the difference (if any), from a legal standpoint.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The idea is to simply kick the entire start up registry industry in the nuts before it can even learn to stand up by taking action ourselves.
    Bam, Taste It!
    Man this is so fucking G status. I love the way you guys opperate.
    Seriously, CA rocks the House (and the Senate.) Suck on that Registermyart.com

Good lookin out, and thanks again for everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason, my respect for you just went up ten fold.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you to all that is involved. This is truly a really great thing that will see great things down the road.

I do have some questions though.
    If we start a thread to collect all of our artwork should it include everything? Sketchbooks and all? All of our big works?
    What if it's already been published. If I have images I would like to share that I have done for the company I work for would they go in the thread as well? Photographs if we do photography? I ask because I can see people using their thread as a one stop shop place for potential employers. This is also a save zone now for things we share on our website? So everything should go into the thread then?

Thanks for your time. I will do what I can to support you guys in the future. You have floored me with what you have done so far and this went above and beyond.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was wondering what all that annoying form stuff was on the attachment manager now i understand what you and the team are trying to accomplish I am very impressed. An image viewer and search is with out a doubt the only thing this site desperately needed and holy crap you built in copyright into the attachment and search. Well played Sir. FUCK the government!

This account is dead but my sketchbook holds in it my humble beginnings
    SKETCHBOOK NEW SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick question... I don't think it's been asked yet?

It seems that all images posted by a user are still connected to the user when searching the art registry, even when somebody else is put in as the copyright holder. I've seen several users now with a ton of images that are not art (or is someone elses art) they've posted that's clogging their registry down.

I realise that probably has to do with using the user names and real name being an option (connecting the images automatically to a user, I mean), but wouldn't that mean a lot of double posting of art? I can see several old masters, for example, being posted again and again and ending up on the different users list - especially if you are indeed taking away the IMG tags so you can't link whatever is not yours. (I'm a bit against taking away the IMG tag, to be honest, it limits the users not wanting to upload.)

Are you guys thinking about some way to make you able to change the settings or take it away afterwards so whatever you posted not being your own work (like references and inspiration) will not end up on your own list of images?

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason, thanks so much for spear heading this. It's very nice to see artists as a community coming together to protect their own rights, which has always been a problem for a field that usually amounts to a bunch of individuals doing their own thing.

One question though, will this eventually have the ability to identify unknown images? One of the proposed elements that these registries were supposed to have if I remember correctly, is the ability for someone who has found an image on the net to be able to get it identified via some form of image recognizing software. One of the problems with the bill was that although it was suggested this was a required element of the proposed registries, there as yet isn't a reliable system that can even do it. I think I heard of some systems that were "99% accurrate", but when you talk millions of images, a 1% loss is still unacceptable. I'm curious what you've heard and discussed about this issue.

Jonish is offline Writer of The Book of Void Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a bunch, whole team around ConceptArt,

I can see that you're really good people and... Hell, I'm going to draw something pretty, just to show how happy I am right now, because of your clever brains!

Strange powers drag you through the black tunnel until you see mysterious Book of Void awaiting you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    isn't what the government doing an infringement of our human rights? I would have thought that what they are doing is some what illegal because this to me feels like a kick in the nuts to the ordinary artist. I am not American (British) but I am not so blind as to not realize the international implications of this bill passing. Also is my understanding right that a work is only considered to be orphaned if the owner cannot be found with a search?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like pretty much everyone else, I am grateful for all the work you guys did on this.

Ok, now for my question.

Could we choose to exclude work from the database without actually removing it from CA?

I ask because my crappiest and oldest (even some middle school 0_o) work comes up first when my name is searched, and I don't want it to be a representative of me.

Perhaps we could change the order of the work so people don't get the wrong impressions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn

When did US turn into USSR?

And, apparently, even though I live in Europe some twerp in the US can still steal my work...

Amazing.

Though it is encouraging that artists, generally known for being... let's say, artistic in certain areas, though up this idea. Thus we become more like craftsmen.

And thats good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the record: There wouldn't even be any copyrights if it weren't for a government establishing them. (In the U.S. its Article 1, section 8, clause 8 of the Constitution)

Thus, the U.S. Government isn't taking away anything that it did not give out in the first place. The proposed law merely concerns the opening of a loophole that certain people outside of the government might use to exploit internet works that would otherwise be covered by copyright.

There have been some questions along the "what if" line seeking to find out whether the new system is perfect, flawless, and foolproof. As an intellectual property attorney (not involved in this project and not working for anybody who is) I can say that no registry would be foolproof because at the end of the day a copyright infringement or lack thereof comes down to whatever some warring attorneys can convince 12 people who've been dragooned onto a jury to say it is. That's an uncertain situation.

This particular registry is free. You can be on more than one registry if you want. If you don't trust registries you can always register your work with the Copyright Office itself (which is the government's own registry; but which costs money).

Last edited by arttorney; December 30th, 2008 at 04:58 PM.

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,555 Times in 2,164 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can edit your own image set for copyright detail adjustments, however the images in the database are there to stay.

Where would mindcandyman's thread be if he removed all his early images. There is art history being made online nowadays. The whole purpose of IMG tag removal is to preserve the integrity of our history here and better search the system.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a LOT jason !!! you rock !! everytime i loose a contest and\or get low on confidence about making it as a professional artist etc , you and the MB crew is always around , with something going on to try and make it so much easier !! i owe my improvement to you guys !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jason, I was growing worried about introducing some of my more personal works online especially due to this new 'Orphan works' bullshit... I somehow feel a bit safer ( just a bit...) in letting the floodgates loose...

This is most definately the biggest bird flipped to our government and the asshole lobbyists that wanna bring down our creative houses even before we even let the foundation dry. And not only for us, but perhaps the generations next that haven't even gotten a hold of the cement.

FIGHT THE POWAH!!!
    -Shawn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The bill is outrageous! However thanks to CA for providing this service, long live CA!

-DR

Adrian Wilkins is offline well not much I'm 20, I'm a hobbiest and working to be pro some day Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't thank you enough for letting us know...these things make conceptart.org no 1 favorite page!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm. That didn't really answer my question about images and photos not belonging to you though.

I realise what you're saying about art history, but even the ones where you're not the copyright holder comes up on the search.

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    You can edit your own image set for copyright detail adjustments, however the images in the database are there to stay.

Where would mindcandyman's thread be if he removed all his early images. There is art history being made online nowadays. The whole purpose of IMG tag removal is to preserve the integrity of our history here and better search the system.
    Yeah, that does make sense.
    But could it by default display the most recently attached images first?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a big effort from CA's part and I really really appreciate that and for the rest of the issues I'm trying to be optimistic. Please Jason let us know if we can add something to stop these crazy things to happen and keep CA as it was always. Thanks much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great idea CA! happy new (creative) year cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to repost this, but I would like it answered if you can.

"One question though, is all of the drop down menus needed or is it just for added searchability?
    I know quite a few people find it a hassle to input all of the information, especially when doing a huge dump of sketchbook pages or studies. If it is just for added searchability, can you please make it optional?
    Thanks"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. I love you guys.

I was wondering if a comic book posted here would be protected. I've allways been sketchy about posting developed IP on high traffic web sites, even CA. but I've allways wanted to share it with everyone without the fear of a shady publisher saying "I think I'll take that"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I Love u guys ^^

edit: lol, I didnt want to copy Raoul, but i guess thats how everybody feels about you ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn that bill is stupid man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn thanks a million but what would happen to those other artist around the world that do not know that this bill is approaching in my opinion this bill needs to be destroyed. great work u guys i definately like how you're taking a stand against this horrible bill

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,555 Times in 2,164 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nope.

thanks for understanding.

jason

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
    Sorry to repost this, but I would like it answered if you can.

"One question though, is all of the drop down menus needed or is it just for added searchability?
    I know quite a few people find it a hassle to input all of the information, especially when doing a huge dump of sketchbook pages or studies. If it is just for added searchability, can you please make it optional?
    Thanks"

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot for all the effort you put into this website You give so much to the art community, its great. Happy new year to everyone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    they might as well shoot me in my drawing hand. lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for informing and helping to protect!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13