New Beta Art Viewer for ConceptArt.Org, the pending Orphan Bill and solutions.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,134 Times in 2,681 Posts
    Follows
    Following

New Beta Art Viewer for ConceptArt.Org, the pending Orphan Bill and solutions.

Please take a look and share your thoughts. Please enjoy the first half million images too. If you find any bugs in this beta, please let us know.

In an effort to give back and to begin to take on bigger challenges as a community, ConceptArt.Org has been quietly working to solve the pending Orphan Bill (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqBZd0cP5Yc for more information on what we are up against and what we desperately are creating solutions for).

This summer we helped send thousands of emails to the members of the US House and Senate to stop this bill. What did we get in return? Canned email form letters thanking us for sharing our views. The bill drafts went the House and Senate anyway. The artists, professionals, and creative organizations who were trying to protect artist rights were ignored by our government completely. Realizing that even a hundred thousand signatures wont stop the copyright bill, at least that is how it looks from here, I got to thinking what we have to do to solve the problems right here at home.

Artists having to pay to be in searchable registries is problem number one. I believe this will be left to the private companies based on my research into who is supporting this horrible bill and what businesses are opening up. I went in and checked the domain registry to search to see if people were buying the domains (registermyart.com, artregistry.com, etc..etc...) and every one I searched was gone. This was the red flag that began the real push to solve what we are dealing with. The corporate sharks are already preparing to feed it seems.

Since the business world reads the laws and tries to capitalize on the loopholes, it is obvious to me that this would happen. Money is already flowing that direction. My guess is the art registries will launch as soon as the law passes or shortly thereafter, unless some miracle happens. Smart buggers. Imagine the photographers who take five hundred images a day or more...ugh. Artists cannot pay for this service...at least those I know who produce quantities of work...and none should have to.

Anyway, that problem is now solved in low tech fashion here: http://www.conceptart.org/search/ind...stof&forumid=5 ConceptArt.Org has created a search system for locating art and artists, essentially cutting off the paid registry industry before they can even get off the ground. Click the images and find the original thread. Click the artist name and contact them directly. This also keeps these readying companies from acting as middlemen, between the searcher and the artist who they wish to hire. There is no room for that in our business.

I designed and we rebuilt all our databases and set up conceptart.org servers to handle up to 200 terabytes of secure storage. This service is entirely free and is a gift to the community from ConceptArt.Org. It is also nice as you can now browse through the images on the site very quickly. What used to take a week, now takes hours. Released in this viewer are five hundred thousand images. More will be added shortly. When you post on the forums your images go in the copyright search registry we created. It is all automated for you. Just keep doing as you do and at least your work can be found. The watermark will be site wide, and contains the appropriate information. We are working to be sure the older images in the database are accurately marked and you can edit your own copyright info as well.

You can search best of (five star threads) for fun...or from each forum if you click the "forums images" text tab...there are a ton of ways to look for stuff. key wording is in progress. That is the final piece of the basic search tool.

The idea is to simply kick the entire start up registry industry in the nuts before it can even learn to stand up by taking action ourselves.

Anyway...just some thoughts...my vision for where this heads is deeper than this but it should at least help some, i hope. I spoke at length with Brad Holland and others involved in putting up the fight for artists rights and we have solved two of the biggest issues.

1. That artists could have to pay for their works to be registered and protected in the US, and there is evidence supporting this.
    2. That these companies would then act as middle men between prospective clients searching the databases by requiring the company or person searching to pay them for your information.

Obviously, these problems must not happen.

There are other problems being solved, as related to this bill and this is just a first step in the best defense is a good offense mentality we have here.

Happy New Year too!

Jason

Last edited by Jason Manley; December 28th, 2008 at 01:59 PM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 103 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Additional info on the orphan bill is here: http://www.illustratorspartnership.o...archterm=00185

For now, please enjoy looking through all the art! We have much more to do here.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is amazing. Mind blowingly amazing. Christmas did come this year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so i got a question: We make a portfolio thread in the Registry, with all our finished works in it so it can be protected? Isnt that basically the same as the Galleries? So instead of a sketchbook thread, where we update anything from doodles to finished work, we would just update finished work, Like Blackfrog does in the FF section, adding on to his thread instead of making another. Am I correct in saying this?

BTW, you deserve a spot in heaven for this Jason!

Representing Ringling College of Art and Design Class 2012

Blog
    (its pretty rad)

Current Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    We make a portfolio thread in the Registry, with all our finished works in it so it can be protected? Isnt that basically the same as the Galleries? So instead of a sketchbook thread, where we update anything from doodles to finished work, we would just update finished work, Like Blackfrog does in the FF section, adding on to his thread instead of making another. Am I correct in saying this?
    I think it's something done automatically whenever you upload an image to the CA server. All your sketchbook, FF, WIP, etc. images, provided that you upload them instead of hosting yourself, automatically get registered.

Pretty fancy system, and already one of the most incredible image databases I've ever seen. Besides copyright issues and all that which it's designed for, it's also an awesome tool for viewing a condensed, no nonsesne stream of images from any participating artist. That alone is totally amazing.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo View Post
    I think it's something done automatically whenever you upload an image to the CA server. All your sketchbook, FF, WIP, etc. images, provided that you upload them instead of hosting yourself, automatically get registered.
    Yeah i understand that part, ive looked at it and was completely blown away. but im talking about the Art Registry Forum. Jason has put the Massive Black portfolio on there, so i am guessing it was an example to follow. Otherwise, why create a whole new sub-forum if you arent going to add portfolios?

This is a place for you to make your very own thread, with all your works.
    that is the first line of the Registry FAQ

Representing Ringling College of Art and Design Class 2012

Blog
    (its pretty rad)

Current Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is just part of the database...a small portion of it. More are being added daily.

IMG tagging is being turned off. The integrity of the site has to be maintained.

If you already posted the images on the site you do not need to post them in your registry thread. It is just a place, like the sketchbook forums, for those who prefer to post all their work in one place. If all your work is on the forums, it would not need to be duplicated there. If you want everything you do in one thread, no matter the genre or media or type, you can post it in the registry forums.

Additional tech features to make it easier for everyone, are in the works. Our vision for where CA is headed is deep. Doing what we can...so thanks for the support. The upgrades to the portfolio site are coming as well. Much to do...and much appreciation too.

best,

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is fantastic Jason. It's great to see that CA is still fighting against the Orphan Works Bill, and I feel a lot more secure on putting finished works on here when I'm ready.

Thanks a lot for this system.

"Wake up. Work hard. Stop being a loser." -Dave Rapoza

[ DeviantArt Gallery ] :: [ Inexorable Artistry ] :: [ CA Sketchbook ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thank you so much...
    I'm honestly stunned by thhis. It must take of of personal time, and alot of CA's resources to pull this off. Thanks a ton, Jason.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jason you're a saint! Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see how CA benefits from all of this and I'm glad that it does. Giving so much it's only fair it takes a little bit. Jason you've just made a friend for life ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a pretty epic step for you guys.

Just by being a member I feel like I'm involved in some revolutionary underground revolt against The Man.

Jason, you and your team should get some sort of Nobel Peace Prize for this, thank you!

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiit.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Chow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn im so speechless, thanks to everyone who made this possible.. really

so jason, how does it feel to go from a homeless 17 year old to a guy who has the power to kick a bunch of corporate money spinning souless passionless dickheads in the balls while providing a beautifull home for thousands of growing artists? a place were we can all feel accepted, surrounded by people who see things from the same general perspective...

holy shit man, i cant belive you did all this?

this is some serious disney shit, did you pull a pencil from a stone or something?

dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm still quite confused with the bill.

i was struck by it at first and got wrapped up with the emotional aspect that many other artists appear to be, but you could weigh it on mostly a good vs. possible bad thing. there's likely to be more copyright infringement, but with all the cool old stuff surfacing because of the passage, then it could potentially outweigh that. can someone please clarify this up if i'm mistaken?

nice job with the search database.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh goodbye all my sketchbook images -_- Is this going to be all img tags already on the site or just from now on?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Again am wow'd by this community
    This is the most awesome, brilliant freaking thing in the whole world!
    Lets see someone say they don't have inspiration again!
    Thank you jaso and everyone

Last edited by Nibras; December 28th, 2008 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm at a loss of words, just thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by waronmars View Post
    ahh goodbye all my sketchbook images -_- Is this going to be all img tags already on the site or just from now on?

all img tagged images are safe. we are just requiring all images be uploaded from here on out.

j

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    all img tagged images are safe. we are just requiring all images be uploaded from here on out.

I'm guessing this includes all the poll images and CHOW adverstising stuff, right?

Never the less,

Awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool. I realize this is a defense measure against legislation that's seems beyond our control, let alone the democratic process, but I can easily foresee something like this serving an even greater positive purpose. It seems like a great way to solidify the community's role as a hub for the freely gathering talent and talent seekers alike. Thanks to Jason and the programming crew who are making this possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would ask you to reconsider removing the use of img tags. I am quite happy posting my photos from my own hosting marking them with my site logo and url.

I can see how the database is a good idea, but having my images named with a proper title instead of attachmentid=69698 or whatever is much better for them showing up in google image search.

I will admit being in the UK I am not all fully up to date with the whole ins and out of the orphan bill and quite how it will affect things on an international scale I am unsure. Image theft has been a problem on the internet for many years and something users of flickr (for example) have had to deal with for quite a while.

From what I gather the user of "stolen material" has to prove they attempted to find the copyright owner of the image by searching a database (ie this ca.org one). It is looking like companies are going to be setting up said databases and charging for their uses, hence the reason to provide a free one here. So are they going to have to search every database that is set up? So the main benefit of using the attachment manager in combination of the database is providing some cover for artists using it.

Removing a common and well known feature of the forum software from those who use it may be detrimental to forum and it would certainly annoy me for one. I prefer not using the attachment manager it's far more convoluted to use than img tags, should I amend an image I've posted in various places its much easier to change it just on my hosting than having to go update it everywhere and there is the aforementioned seo reason.

Unless I've been mistaken on the whole issue and there is some extra benefit compared to what I have outlined above, I am all ears to be enlightened. Otherwise I applaud the work and effort you are putting in, but give yourself a break and save the time and effort that was going to be spent removing the use of img tags ;]

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumbledook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've done a lot of work and it really shows a lot of effort that you're doing this for CA, Jason. I admire all the hard work you put in it. However, this is an American law, and i'm not even sure what the effect would be for any non-Americans like me. Also, there's very little influence/difference i can make in this whole system.

For now, i like to use my own webspace to show my pictures on, instead of uploading it to CA. I'd really regret it if the img tags would go. Perhaps it's foolish in all the legal hassle, but to me my own URLs are important enough. Grumbledook says it all more eloquently. Perhaps as a courtesy, you could leave the img tags?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrx View Post

this is some serious disney shit, did you pull a pencil from a stone or something?
    AAAhahahaa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres an interesting question

suppose I upload an image into a forum section that is not normally accesable to all CA members. if the image is attached via CA... does it then become part of the searchable data base ad therefore accesable for everyone? is there still a way to maintain the integrity of the limited access portions of the forum? does it come up attached to my name?

if not then there are places that should be warned before those images become accesible to the entire CA public

Last edited by chaosrocks; December 28th, 2008 at 11:54 PM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... couple questions just to clear up some confusion?

If its the fact that people need to search for artists, should our conceptart.org names be our RL names? Otherwise it seems they'd have to search for our titles here on this site, or is there something I'm missing?

Also, I've searched my name and only the most recent (self portrait day) showed up. Does that mean I should re-up to the registry forum/and/or go through every upload and implement that new copyright information feature?

Thanks again, really great thing you're doing here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My biggest annoyance with the uploader tool is that your images get put at the end of your post in the order you attached them
    if you click the paperclip icon up top (hover over and it says "attachments") you can insert them into your post and place them any way that you like

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shut Up! You can't be serious this bill is for real!? wow dude... wow

Thanks for letting us know.

Oh don't post stuff of facebook either, apparently they claim the rights to any picture uploaded for them to use however they please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chaos
    I tried to do what you are suggesting and attempted
    to look at all images in the *****. Yes it shows it as a searchable subforum
    but it tells me I do not have access to that page. (Damn!) So it appears you're safe.

Last edited by chaosrocks; December 29th, 2008 at 12:43 AM.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.