Thanks

drafting/drawing tables what do you use?

What do you all use for your drawings other than an easel. I'm thinking about buying a drafting table so I dont have to lean over so much when I draw on a flat table, something at an angle seems like it may be more forgiving on the back. I'm thinking about getting the Alvin CraftMaster Art Hobby Table but I was just wondering if anyone else had suggestions or comments on what they draw on and how well it works for them!

thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    dont waste your money on a whole table, you can set something up on your own without paying much. I use a card table with two drawing boards propped up at an angle. Suits my needs. I suggest trying to create what you need before going out and buying the table. And if all fails, buy the table!
    Representing Ringling College of Art and Design Class 2012

Blog
    (its pretty rad)

Current Sketchbook

Thanks
    If this is what you're talking about, it should be fine.

Working on an angled surface reduces visual distortion and is easier on the back as long as you're sitting properly on a good, adjustable chair.

I've been using drawing tables since high school, so I'm giving them an obvious thumbs up.

~R

Thanks
    One idea that might still work is ask some people who are architects or work at an architects office if they could spare or sell you a drafting table for cheap. Almost everybody works digitally and the tables take up a lot of space so most offices don't want them anymore. The good thing about them is you can work sitting or standing, slanted or horizontal, whatever you want. Worth a try.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    what do you use?
    Angled drafting table with two lamps clamped on the edge of it. Not sure which company made it, but they all work the same to me so yeah. The two lamps are there to avoid the shadow of my hand from covering too much of the drawing as the second light will "cancel" out the shadow of the first.

Thanks
    i got given an old school architect's drafting table at one point. It was given away to that person by the local university architecture program to make room for new tables. We're talking really old school drafting table. all wood, freaking 4 and 1/2 feet high, the tabletop itself was insanely huge, probably 3' x 4' or so (guesstimating here ;p ). I had it for a long time but it was hugely impractical for me as I could never find room for it (even kept it in the garage at one apartment...thing took up a good 1/8th of the garage @.@ finally ended up selling it cheap to a new architecture student that wanted one. thing was built like a 1950s car: able to double as a fallout shelter, those were the 'desks' to duck and cover under >.>

Thanks
    Mine has had to double as a computer desk for the last few years...don't have space for both a proper desk and a drawing table. This one has traveled from coast to coast with me however, because it's easy enough to take apart/put back together that it's worth bringing along.

Thanks
    I recently bought 2 Trestles with shelf from ikea
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20070662 these to be precise.and when mounted to a tabletop, they allow the table top to be adjusted in height. "Adjustable to different positions for flat or angled table top."
    With on top mounted this tabletop
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20103605.

Its has a glass plate on one side. You can place a lamp on the Trestle right underneath it and direct the light to the glass plate, and you got yourself a light table to.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EVIL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Evil: I really like your trestle and mounted tabletop idea, if its not to much to ask do you think you could post a picture of your setup, i would really like to see how that looks when its all mounted to get a better idea!

Thanks
    I took a few shots but my cardreader doesnt seem to do its job anymore, so I did a quick google of what it looks like and found the official ikea picture, and a setup from another guy

ikeasetup

and the setup from another guy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to EVIL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks alot evil! The only picture I saw was the picture of it assembled on their site, the pictures you posted are great though (stupid lazy me for not checking google), but I'm definitely going to buy this as soon as a get a day off from work, this setup is perfect its exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks
    very useful info here, I actually never thought of getting one of these and I don't think I'll be able to in my future college dorm but it's a good thing to know.

What kind of chairs do you use along with these tables? any will do?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    my lap or my floor, depending
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Hey Evil:

Thanks again, I bought the setup today and its amazing you really helped me out. Just to let everyone know I bought the table including the tressels, the desk light and the chair at Ikea all for $170, some things were on sale and thats including tax, so go get one if your thinking about it!

heres a picture I just finished assembling it,

Thanks
    hah! sweet! I sold a product!
    Its a really nice setup, plus its ikea, so you can take it apart without damaging anything. Also if your a bit handy with wood and stuff, you could replace the adjustable wood pieces (the 4 wood planks with allot of holes in them where you put your wooden pins trough) by longer ones, so you could adjust the tabletop to a steaper angle.

Also mine was a little tight and it was hard to adjust it, so I rubbed a bit of candle wax between the connecting parts and moved it around a little and it is now way easier to adjust.

Thanks
    yeah thats a good idea with just building some new wooden pieces, i think its steep enough for my liking at the moment though. also smart move with the candle wax i ended up just tappin the long screw type thing out a little more, your idea was probably a smarter choice though!

Thanks
    damn thats a pretty sick setup. a good price too, considering a light box alone is like 100 bucks.

Thanks
    Lookin' good, Romans. I bought the same unit last year when Ikea came here to The Oul' Sod. Very useful & cheap as chips. I furnished my whole studio here with Ikea furniture.

Except the Macs.

And printer.

Obviously.
    is mise

:beer:

Thanks
    A build it yourself Ikea Computer.
    Imagine the manual on that one!

Then finding "spare" parts would really make you freak!