Academy of Art University SF vs San Jose state?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Academy of Art University SF vs San Jose state?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Academy of Art University SF vs San Jose state?

I think i would like to major in illustration, or anything having to do with concept art. the type of concept art that would be done for movies, games, or animated films if that makes a difference. Money is a little tight, but i'm not gonna let that stop me without a fight. So, how do these schools compare? not just in price but in quality? What about two years of san jose then xfer to AAU? is there another school in CA that would compete with these in the fields i mentioned?
    Any and all help/tips/advice/random words of wisdom/guidance are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.shrunkenheadman.com/illus...llery.php?g=32

I'm looking at that school portfolio, and I'm wondering why you'd think it would be better at a private college?

Animation/Illustration students are required to complete a three-unit professional internship as part of their degree requirements. An active placement program helps to insure our student's success in the field. Recent graduates have gained employment at Walt Disney Feature Animation, PIXAR, Industrial Light and Magic, Warner Bros. Feature Animation, PDI, Electronic Arts, and Curious Pictures.
    http://www.shrunkenheadman.com/program/

I haven't gone there, but something is going on.

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NoSeRider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard that there's been a recent financial grant given to San Jose, and they do have connections with major US animation studios.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There’s no portfolio entrance requirement; everyone is admitted, but midway through their period of study, students have to pass a review. Once they do, the older students give them a t-shirt and welcome them into the “Shrunken Head Club.”
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...niversity.html

From what I gather, if you want to be part of the entertainment design field of the school you have to submit your portfolio to the Shrunken Head club.

So, it's not so much that you go thru a curriculum, but you're capable of proving yourself to your peers in order to have access to these big animation studios. It seems the Shrunken Head club dictates if you have ability, not the school itself.

You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to AAU for a while and really got a lot out of it (was just too damn expensive for me to live in the bay area as well as some health things that came up) but had to move before I could finish there. Having transferred there from a traditional University fine arts program (BFA track), AAU was really good for me artistically. I learned more there in the 2yrs I went than I learned in 5 at a University w/traditional fine arts courses. There were constantly seminars as well as guest teaching from the various studios in the area such as lucas arts and pixar among many many others. If you can swing the cost (and being private, it is indeed costly) I'd recommend it. I can't vouch for the other art schools/programs in the area however as I came to the bay area from out of Cali.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jhgoforth View Post
    There were constantly seminars as well as guest teaching from the various studios in the area such as lucas arts and pixar among many many others.
    That's no longer the case, at least for pixar.

http://splinedoctors.com/2008/12/aca...pixar-classes/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider View Post
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...niversity.html

From what I gather, if you want to be part of the entertainment design field of the school you have to submit your portfolio to the Shrunken Head club.

So, it's not so much that you go thru a curriculum, but you're capable of proving yourself to your peers in order to have access to these big animation studios. It seems the Shrunken Head club dictates if you have ability, not the school itself.
    The Shrunken Head club is just a fun name for the school's BFA program. It's not an actual club persay, but the actual BFA program itself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the responses everyone, i really appreciate the input. All the info is really helping me in my investigations of the schools which will eventually decide which school i pick.
    Thanks a bunch, keep em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a senior in high school, and last summer i took four pre-college courses and my skills increased dramatically. I think that the academy is one of the best private art schools that actually teaches something.

other schools may seem fancy but they just teach you directly what you want to know. But the academy gives you a good foundation. That you can work with. The courses demand a lot of work but is worth it.

but yeah, i'm gonna go there it's a good choice. and is a reasonably priced school (about $750 per class) and financial aid can always be an option.

best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sanakris View Post

but yeah, i'm gonna go there it's a good choice. and is a reasonably priced school (about $750 per class) and financial aid can always be an option.

best of luck!
    That's $750 per credit hour, each class is 3 credit hours.

"I am almost sick and giddy with the quantity of things in my head, all tempting and wanting to be worked out." (John Ruskin)
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having" (V)
    Rick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What does that come to for each academic year?

Kismet is offline The Chaotic Dreamer Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AAU is roughly 18k a year. However, once you factor in living expenses, then it ends up being approx. 21k~26k depending on whether you live in a shared dorm or a private studio. So, it's expensive, but it's still not as bad as some other places.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07...t+--+d-schools

San Jose State University was in the lower top 50 of design schools.
    Arizona State University School of Design was rated number 1.

Considering these are public institutions, I consider that pretty remarkable
    especially coming from BusinessWeek Magazine.

A consensus of design schools Worldwide!

Aw fuck it. I ain't spending $ 100,000 in tuition just so I can suck some
    so called famous art sage's dick. Just provide me the information I need to succeed.

Last edited by NoSeRider; February 18th, 2009 at 01:49 PM.
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I was in your shoes, I'd go to San Jose State. I'm highly considering either attending their BFA program or Master's program for animation/illustration after I finish my current degree. They have a tight relationship with EA, Dreamworks, and ILM. Video Conferencing with students... And, if you're a California resident, it's only 3k a YEAR in tuition (plus living expenses). With a little bit of elbow grease, that's definitely worth it.

Check out Paul Abadilla's blog. He graduated last year and is working at Pixar as a sketch artist.
    http://paulabadilla.blogspot.com

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thesinfulsaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sanakris View Post
    I'm a senior in high school, and last summer i took four pre-college courses and my skills increased dramatically. I think that the academy is one of the best private art schools that actually teaches something.

other schools may seem fancy but they just teach you directly what you want to know. But the academy gives you a good foundation. That you can work with. The courses demand a lot of work but is worth it.

best of luck!
    I went to their summer pre-college as well and I'll most likely be attending there. What classes did you take? Maybe we met.

Members who have read this thread: 1