Thanks

Can't seem to load brushes?

I just got Seegmiller's new Painter book, and I'm trying to load his brushes to follow along with the tutorials, but everything is grayed out. In the brush palette i am going to the drop down triangle and choosing "load library" and also "import brush library". Neither seems to work, although this is how it is explained in the manual. I placed his brushes folder in Painter/Brushes/Seegmiller, but when i navigate to the location, everything is gray and can't be selected. The book is based on Painter X and I'm using Painter 8. Can this be why? All of his brushes are XML files. Any ideas?
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
    - Pablo Picasso

<<< Sketchbook >>>

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Painter's brushes are not backward-version compatible. If Seegmiller's brushes were created in Painter X or Painter IX through IX.5, even though the brush variants are .XML files, you won't be able to use them in Painter 8.

About Importing Brush Libraries:

Only Painter 6 and earlier version brush libraries (a single brush library file with the .BRS extension) can be Imported into later Painter versions using the Brush Selector menu command Import Brush Library.

Happy New Year!

#
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Thanks to the unparalleled kindness of David Gell, http://painterfactory.com/blogs/davids_blog/ , the equivalents of the Painter Brushes used in my last book have been created that will work in version 7+. There is one exception, dons digital water 2 variant, will not work in Painter 7. Here is the location you would use for installing the brushes.

http://www.seegmillerart.com/P8_Book_Brushes.zip

Corel Painter 8 (application folder)
    > Brushes (folder)
    >> P8_Book_Brushes
    >>> book brushes
    >>> book brushes.jpg
    >>>> book brushes.xml (etc).

I am extremely grateful to David for this effort. I do not have earlier versions of Painter installed. Those that use these older versions of Painter to follow the tutorials will have brush problems ... the brushes from X are not compatible. Unfortunately, publishers really don't want new materials that use older program versions.

If there are any questions about anything in the book, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers
    Don

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks!

Thanks to both of you!

I'll give those a try.

Wayne
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
    - Pablo Picasso

<<< Sketchbook >>>