vampire king ... making changes ... slow progress ...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This is still going, and I am still changing ideas here and there myself. So I want to hear some voices from you guys.

Please comment on everything: color, composition, the character, render, light (there's no light now, but any ideas are greatly appreciated) ... or even any armor or decorations or any other little details to put on the character to make it more believable would be very nice.

I am open to all ideas, please comment. Many thanks.

Oh, the concept is very simple: a vampire king stands from his chair to gives a fearless look. Also, that's a mace with a face-like deco held in his hand, not a weapon with a human head (it's not a bloody painting)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mMark; December 28th, 2008 at 10:36 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fearless look.. well he should be scared because he's about to fall on his face man.. He's right leg(our left) needs to be moved front i think. I know he's a vampire king and all but a steady pose will help convince me that.

It's the sketchbook.. I don't get the html stuff
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84000

Download my Nintendo music remakes free on piratebay:
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4546..._by___BitRobot

vol.2:
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4603..._by___BitRobot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what johanerik said, and he also has to short legs.
    another thing is, what is hes cape hanging on to?
    that staff is to fragile to use as anything but a stabing wepon, and he kinda looks like the 300 spartans, give him some clothes, scars, tatoos, decorations...stuff! make him more interestning.

ur definitly going in the right direction here, keep up the good work,

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Second time I'm writing this in fifteen minutes :
    He's leaning way to the left, flip the image and you'll see what I mean.
    Everybody has a tendency to unconsciously skew one way or the other, depending on their handedness. You should get into the habit of periodically flipping your image as you work.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will have to agree with everyone else about the lean thing to the left, way off balance. I like some of the color palettes although it feels like to much black is being used. A big problem I am seeing is that you have the start of some lovely drapes blowing in from a window or something yet his cape looks like it is nailed to the floor. If you leaned the guy back and have the cape blowing in the right direction perhaps even bellowing around him it would make the piece more dramatic.

Lastly I know that you are going for the whole Vlad the Impaler thing but have you ever considered something other than a head? How about a stack of hands which if pulled off right would be pretty cruel. You know like those skewers that you stick notes on in a office?

Hopes that helps.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First crit is the left arm (when looking at it). Anatomy and proportions are off. Try moving the elbow down, this will allow you to extend the bicep/tricep, which will correct some of the issues. Also, you should slim down the forearm a bit where it nears the wrist.
    You should also consider where/how the cape will attach, but I like the concept and its a great start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thanks so much, you guys rock!!!

@ johanerik: thank for first point out the balance issue. I am correcting that;
    @ Lotet: do you mean both his legs being too short? I will try longer legs to have a look;
    @ Elwell: yes sir, fliping fliping fliping .......;
    @ Ito Saith Webb: I have to say, awesome point about the cape direction thing, I definitely need to work on that. And your second paragraph I can not understand clearly, sorry about my poor enligsh, what's the "cruel" idea you are talking about?
    @ danlambert: I will look into the more anatomy references, thank you.

thanks again guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya mMark, I'm digging the idea of your illustration!~ Obviously the guys before me mentioned the anatomical discrepancy of the contraposto being skewed too harshly (aka = D00d being about to fall over), and his left arm also has a few anomalies (hand too large) which i do believe to be pretty spot on. I dig the color palette but wish the cape he's wearing was reacting along with the drapery in the back. The shading on his lower abdominals seems a bit off too.

I am enjoying the feel and layout of this piece tho. It's off to a very good start and if anything, since he's the Vampire King, think of ways to set him apart physically. Check out how they set Dracula apart from his lesser brethren in Blade 3. (<----- That's totally just an opinion tho )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    made some changes accordingly, very slow progress....

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mMark; December 28th, 2008 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot L.A.Perez, I will consider your opinions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right arm looks too short, I'm also not digging the way the hand is inclined comparing to the right forearm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GaussianRaider, I am strigguling with the right arm for quite a while. Hope I can get it right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep at it man, already looks better ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how the cape is looking, while it doesn't totally conform to the wind it makes more sense and is much more dramatic. He still feels like he is leaning forward but maybe if you put the staff at an opposing angle like he was leaning into it for support then it would feel a bit better. Also if that is an actually human head it is way to small unless this guy is suppose to be like 12 feet tall or something. Keep it up it is looking good.

Hope this helps.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Ito on the pose. Looking at the first and second picture, he's still leaning forward, not something I'd expect to see with a vampire king. Were he defeated, or very badly wounded, or and old man trying to keep his pride as a once-been king, it may have worked, but thats not the message I'm getting.

When I think about a proud standing king, I unfortunately think of Louis paintings. He pretty much knew how to hold himself up in paintings..
    Back straight, head up. (and then there's the ton of hidding meanings and small things telling of his royalty in this) That red cape of yours is a pretty cool choice that way, and looks very nice and works.

Edit: just don't give him tights.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    L.A.Perez: thanks for the words. ^_^

Ito Saith Webb: I already tried the staff a different angel, better, and also working on the pose, it is better now. As for the proportion of his head, I did intentionally make it smaller, and also the hands are bigger, Hope I can get it more comfortable later on. hmmmm.... thank you so much....

Tangrim: wow that is a very good example, gives me a lot fresh thinkings, thanks so much. Now it seems that the vampire king's image is getting clearer and clearer.

thank you all guys. Will post more if I had some major progress or run into any big problems again. Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.