Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Art School portfolio/application discussion/arguing

Thanks
    (Split off from the Accepted Portfolios thread)

im completely new to the art landscape.........im gonna apply to ringling, as an international undergradutae....and im basically looking for any helpor tips as i can get.....

help meeee...pleease
    Last edited by Elwell; December 25th, 2008 at 01:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quick question: So I will graduate high school with around a ~2.5GPA +/-. How terrible is that? What is the point where they look at your GPA and laugh at you? Will I need something much higher? Should I go to a community college as suggested in an earlier thread to get some of the english/math/etc courses out of the way to try and raise my GPA?

Help is appreciated.

- Adam

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    Quick question: So I will graduate high school with around a ~2.5GPA +/-. How terrible is that? What is the point where they look at your GPA and laugh at you? Will I need something much higher? Should I go to a community college as suggested in an earlier thread to get some of the english/math/etc courses out of the way to try and raise my GPA?

Help is appreciated.

- Adam
    2.5 is bad, but won't instantly disqualify you at most places. You may as well send in applications this year; if you don't get accepted, got to a community college to raise your GPA.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 Times in 918 Posts
    i've been afraid of how much my gpa will ding me too.
    it's probably 2.5>. ;_;

would a very strong portfolio tip the scales in my favor?

or would that bad gpa tell them that i won't be able to handle the curriculum, regardless of skill? ORZ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by a la bapsi View Post
    i've been afraid of how much my gpa will ding me too.
    it's probably 2.5>. ;_;

would a very strong portfolio tip the scales in my favor?

or would that bad gpa tell them that i won't be able to handle the curriculum, regardless of skill? ORZ
    You're portfolio is the most important thing, so I imagine it will help you if you have a strong one.

On a related note, I'd like to take another opportunity to state how disgusted I am that art schools place any significant attention on GPA's to begin with.
    That is all.
    Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    On a related note, I'd like to take another opportunity to state how disgusted I am that art schools place any significant attention on GPA's to begin with.
    Well I mean I can clearly see why they'd take it as important, because it is. I'm not gonna try and kid anyone, I've been a huge slack of school ever since I started the damn thing and it's clearly reflected in my GPA.

If you owned a college would you accept students who had a pretty good ability to draw but no strength, will power, or dedication to do well in your school?

I had no intentions of going from high school to community college to another university but hey. I wanted to play Counter-Strike instead of doing my Physics homework lol

It is an art school, after all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    Well I mean I can clearly see why they'd take it as important, because it is. I'm not gonna try and kid anyone, I've been a huge slack of school ever since I started the damn thing and it's clearly reflected in my GPA.

If you owned a college would you accept students who had a pretty good ability to draw but no strength, will power, or dedication to do well in your school?

I had no intentions of going from high school to community college to another university but hey. I wanted to play Counter-Strike instead of doing my Physics homework lol

It is an art school, after all.
    Here's the thing, you don't obtain the ability to draw well without strength, power, or dedication. So if you can draw well, than you already posses those traits.

If I ran my own art school, I would place my importance of acceptance by these percentages: 95% for portolio, 4% essay and 1% everything else.

Thanks
    Here's the thing, you don't obtain the ability to draw well without strength, power, or dedication. So if you can draw well, than you already posses those traits.
    Sure you can. You need a degree of passion, but that doesn't necessarily give you the ability to function in an academic or corporate environment.

A school doesn't want a student who sketches a lot but routinely decides he has no interest in completing the assigned work.

Thanks
    You're portfolio is the most important thing, so I imagine it will help you if you have a strong one.

That is all.
    It's good to know if a student is willing to go to class every day and work hard even if it's not skill related. There are usually going to be lectures (art history and writing, for example) and you will need to be able to succeed in those just as much as your skill-based classes.

Thanks
    In response to Meloncov and Jackie57,

Alright, so it's important that a student attend classes and complete projects. Ensuring this is not a problem. You simply flunk the student and/or strip them of their financial aid if they do not adhere to the curriculum. Somehow I think the threat of that action alone will motivate most students to finish the assignments.

None of the potential problems that exist when you accept a student with a low GPA come anywhere near the problem of having a student who is bad at their major. No, art history and writing are not as important to an animator as animating (in terms of being a successful professional animator). You're skill-based classes are more important because that is what you will get hired for - you're skill. No animation studio is going to look at a thesis film and say "Gee, the animation is stunning... but are they familiar with 17th century Italian architecture?"

Thanks

Alright, so it's important that a student attend classes and complete projects. Ensuring this is not a problem. You simply flunk the student and/or strip them of their financial aid if they do not adhere to the curriculum. Somehow I think the threat of that action alone will motivate most students to finish the assignments.
    Understandably, schools would prefer not to accept people they are going to flunk. Bad for their reputation, bad for student moral, frustrating for teachers.

None of the potential problems that exist when you accept a student with a low GPA come anywhere near the problem of having a student who is bad at their major. No, art history and writing are not as important to an animator as animating (in terms of being a successful professional animator). You're skill-based classes are more important because that is what you will get hired for - you're skill. No animation studio is going to look at a thesis film and say "Gee, the animation is stunning... but are they familiar with 17th century Italian architecture?"
    Of course not. But that knowledge of seventeenth century Italian architecture will likely induce an increased richness and verisimilitude in, say, the backgrounds for your animation. More generally speaking, the ability to communicate artistically is useless if you have little to say.

Also, computer animation requires more left-brain intelligence than is needed to create a good enough drawing to get accepted at almost any art school. Grades aren't a perfect indicator of left-brain intelligence, but they are likely the best the school is going to get. This is why Ringling's GPA cutoff is lower for CA than the other majors (at least officially. Unofficially, it is likely because they can afford to be more picky.)

Thanks
    In response to Meloncov and Jackie57,

Most art schools require a hefty chunk of liberal arts classes. They're there for a reason. Maybe that animation studio won't read your thesis, but if they're doing an animation taking place in a 17th century Italian church and you have knowledge about it, you're not going to be scolded.

Wouldn't you want to be able to think critically rather than just animate projects mindlessly?

And hey, I'm not bashing, I got a 2.7 in highschool and went right to Arizona State University. I flunked out. I had to come back to community college and learn how to be a good student, even in my art classes. I agree, highschool was a waste of time for me, but it created a BAD HABIT in me of being a poor student. I didn't know how to study, I didn't know how to write papers, and I didn't know how to discipline myself to do projects that I didn't like. This carried over to all my studio classes at first, despite the fact that ability wise, I was at the top of my class.

After 3 years I finally have overcome my bad habits and am applying to art schools. If I tried to go to art school fresh out of highschool, I would have gotten no where.

Now everyone is different. What applies to me probably doesn't apply to most people, but to discount the importance of studying other subjects besides animation is just ignorant.

Thanks
    Personally, I would like to go to a college in which most people have a gpa within close proximity to 3.0 (at least) and know how to draw.
    My sketchbook. Input and advice is, well, appreciated. :] http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=118556

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast