I need some information
 
View testimonialsView Artwork
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Question I need some information

    So, my goal is to become a Video Game Concept Artist, and I can't find very much information on the job itself, nor on programs and classes needed to become one. I have several questions, and any sort of information would be fantastic. It isn't particularly urgent (I'm still quite young, I've got a few years before I even start applying) but I would like to know what and how I should prepare for my goal.
    1) What colleges have the best programs for concept art?
    2) What programs or classes should I enroll in?
    3) What are the standard portfolio requirements (Like, are certain mediums needed to be included? What about Realism, portraits, life drawings, etc.? If so how many? Stuff like that)
    4) At what level should my art be to be accepted?
    5) Should I go to a school within my country (US) or are there courses outside of US that are worth the trouble? Could I even go to school in a country I don't have citizenship in?
    6) If/When I get out of school, where should I apply for a job? A small company or a big one? Etc.
    7) What level should my art be when I leave school?
    8) How many years of college would I have to go to? (On average)

    If you have any more information, please post it! Any sort will do.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,540
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 271 Times in 199 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimopie131 View Post
    1) What colleges have the best programs for concept art?
    Only a handful of schools have dedicated concept art programs. Most likely, you'll want to get an illustration major. Look around this forum for information about specific schools.

    Quote Originally Posted by eskimopie131 View Post
    2) What programs or classes should I enroll in?
    You mean before college? Any representational drawing classes, possibly representational work in another medium.

    Quote Originally Posted by eskimopie131 View Post
    3) What are the standard portfolio requirements (Like, are certain mediums needed to be included? What about Realism, portraits, life drawings, etc.? If so how many? Stuff like that)
    It varies from school to school. Look at the accepted portfolio thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by eskimopie131 View Post
    4) At what level should my art be to be accepted?
    Depends on the school, but generally speaking getting into art school isn't all that hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by eskimopie131 View Post
    5) Should I go to a school within my country (US) or are there courses outside of US that are worth the trouble? Could I even go to school in a country I don't have citizenship in?
    The U.S. has numerous excellent schools, so theirs no need to leave the country. However, if you want to experience another culture for its own sake, their are also excellent programs abroad.

    Quote Originally Posted by eskimopie131 View Post
    6) If/When I get out of school, where should I apply for a job? A small company or a big one? Etc.
    Your getting way, way ahead of yourself here. I haven't the slightest idea where the jobs will be in six years or so, nor where your interests will be.


    Quote Originally Posted by eskimopie131 View Post
    What level should my art be when I leave school?
    Look at the stuff in Finally Finished. Roughly that level.


    Quote Originally Posted by eskimopie131 View Post
    8) How many years of college would I have to go to? (On average)
    4.


    Quote Originally Posted by eskimopie131 View Post
    If you have any more information, please post it! Any sort will do.
    Read the stuff already posted on this forum, especially the stickies.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Thank you very much Meloncov! That was really helpful.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,186
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 198 Times in 116 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    You'll need a combination of traditional, representational fine art skills, illustration skills, concept specific courses, and computer courses such as Photoshop (to an advanced level) and Maya.

    I'd suggest researching many schools, making a short list, and trying to visit to see year end shows.

    Max the Mutt in Toronto offers a 4 year Diploma Program in Concept Art for Animation and Video Games. You can check out the website as well as the threads on this forum.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook