Join 500,000+ Artists
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
So, my goal is to become a Video Game Concept Artist, and I can't find very much information on the job itself, nor on programs and classes needed to become one. I have several questions, and any sort of information would be fantastic. It isn't particularly urgent (I'm still quite young, I've got a few years before I even start applying) but I would like to know what and how I should prepare for my goal.
1) What colleges have the best programs for concept art?
2) What programs or classes should I enroll in?
3) What are the standard portfolio requirements (Like, are certain mediums needed to be included? What about Realism, portraits, life drawings, etc.? If so how many? Stuff like that)
4) At what level should my art be to be accepted?
5) Should I go to a school within my country (US) or are there courses outside of US that are worth the trouble? Could I even go to school in a country I don't have citizenship in?
6) If/When I get out of school, where should I apply for a job? A small company or a big one? Etc.
7) What level should my art be when I leave school?
8) How many years of college would I have to go to? (On average)
If you have any more information, please post it! Any sort will do.
It varies from school to school. Look at the accepted portfolio thread.
The U.S. has numerous excellent schools, so theirs no need to leave the country. However, if you want to experience another culture for its own sake, their are also excellent programs abroad.
Your getting way, way ahead of yourself here. I haven't the slightest idea where the jobs will be in six years or so, nor where your interests will be.
Read the stuff already posted on this forum, especially the stickies.
Thank you very much Meloncov! That was really helpful.
You'll need a combination of traditional, representational fine art skills, illustration skills, concept specific courses, and computer courses such as Photoshop (to an advanced level) and Maya.
I'd suggest researching many schools, making a short list, and trying to visit to see year end shows.
Max the Mutt in Toronto offers a 4 year Diploma Program in Concept Art for Animation and Video Games. You can check out the website as well as the threads on this forum.