Mother Nature - Crits welcome << FINAL UPDATE 12/28/08>>

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mother Nature - Crits welcome << FINAL UPDATE 12/28/08>>

Well CA,

Here's my latest image, finished it for the most part today. I just wanted to see if anyone had any crits, likes or dislikes...before I call this one finished.
    As always thanks ahead of time, and any comments are welcome.

D

EDIT: Scroll down for current state!! Thanks!!

EDIT: Scroll down for final update!!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dcriler; December 28th, 2008 at 02:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice. I would sharpen up her lower half just a bit, and maybe throw in some darker shadows to really bring it forward.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it" -- Confucius

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -- Albert Einstein

Pixelestial's Gallery

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixelestial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very beautiful! I love how you have her rooted to the ground and most especially the expression on her face - very nice. I do however have a question - is the background suppose to be sparse in trees and such? I mean, I would think that mother nature would depict and very healthy atmosphere, an abundance of flora and fauna but this image does not. As for the painting itself the only thing of note that I have would be the cloth across her breast area and then out from her back - it seems very unified and the small crinkle seems almost too neat if you know what I mean. Its almost flag-like whereas it should be more cloth-like and flow lightly on the wind.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Razorleaf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work, although I second the comment about the sparse look. The yellow hue doesn't help much either. If your point is to show a weakened mother nature, it works, but you may want to throw in a few more things to add to the bleakness. Otherwise, if its just supposed to be the Fall season, you need to liven up the color palette. Use warm tones, some reds and greens, not too saturated, but be sure to show more life. The dove being yellow doesn't help much either.

I like how you've got her bottom half looking like drapery and like a tree trunk, but I do think you could push both aspects further. Study the way a skirt would fall, push the drapery effect, have to morph into something that look even more like roots, play with the texture a bit. You can really do some fun things with this, 'cause you've got a good start!

-Sid

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice, you can almost feel the breeze hitting her.

Her neck seems a little short though, a longer neck would help the flow of her stance.

I'd also suggest showing a little transition from her body into the roots, right now the trunk part starts at the cloth wrapped around her waist and it sort of divides her body and the movement of her body. If the top of the trunk started as a billowing skirt which transitions into the trunk and roots, it would help wed her upper and lower half. On that same issue, the mid section cloth wrap is also dividing her body up, you could add some extra parts too it (see attached pict) which would help and also bring more movement to her lower half...and may be enough to eliminate the need for a skirt/trunk transition.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jupiter10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like what you have going here so far and I agree with a lot of what the others have said. I would especially agree with Chagan that the morph of a dress into tree trunk is working really well. I wonder if you might try incorporating her sash in the same way, perhaps like climbing vines. Her skin I think could use some more adjustment because I feel it is to close to the sky color perhaps if you made her skin more creamy in color to contrast with the sky.

One of the first things to catch my eyes was her hands while there is nothing wrong with the proportions the fact that the fingers of both hands are almost identical in their pose which causes a feeling of repetition. To my eyes this creates a weird optical effect that makes one of the hands look like is twisting funny.

The background to my eye is flattening out the composition and I really feel that you could do some fun perspective things here that could also help the whole concept of the piece. Perhaps have a winding or curving valley into the distance. You could have it totally all nature or even have people working with the land with eco friendly like gardens. These are merely suggestions but I hope they get you moving in strong directions.

Hopes this helps.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ito Saith Webb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soulweaver - Thanks for the kind words, I agree...maybe a tightening up of the lower half, just slightly. Thanks!

Razorleaf - Thanks for the crits. A few have said that the background seems weak, but I kinda planned it that way. I didn't want to make it overly complicated with flora or fauna, but maybe I'll look into adding some things. She's supposed to be up on a hill, and those trees in the distance are below her...which is why they seem so far away. I appreciate the crit, and I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks again!!!!

Chagan - I'll see what I can do with the color palette, maybe liven it up just a tad. And I'll also get some reference on roots and drapery, maybe that could improve. Thanks for the crits!!!

jupiter10 - thanks for the wonderful paint over!!! I thought the transition needed a little something. And I think you hit the nail right on the head! Hope you don't mind me using that idea, cause it's a good one. Thanks again for the paint-over!!! Great stuff!

Ito Saith Webb - Thanks for the great comments! Let me tell you, those hands were painted in several different ways. Cupping each other, just seeing one hand, one up & one down...nothing really seemed to work. Then I painted that pose and liked it so much, because to me...it help the composition in a whole come together. As for the background, maybe I will have to look into changing something. Thanks again for the wonderful crits.

Thanks again everyone for the taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it. I've written down notes on everything you guys said, and I'll be sure to give all that stuff a try tomorrow. Thanks again and happy holidays to everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love your pic. I think maybe instead of doing the waist wrap you could show the transition from flesh to matter maybe. That would be interesting. but on the whole it's beautiful.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt6b71c.aspx

Spaztastic's world of junk
    And The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named!!!
    Realitychecks SB LakeLands SB Me,Myself, and Me again Vehkt's

15. The Following User Says Thank You to spaztastic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the concept of this one. I don't mind the background so much, to me it stays in the background and allows our focus to be more on the woman. She is fairly dark, the bg is light, there's some contrast. Though I think if she had lighter skin it'd help bring her out more and make an even stronger focus. She seems like she'd be a delicate creature [well sort of haha]

I think it's been mentioned, that green clothe at her upper torso looks odd. Something feels off as it flows to the back. Like the flow of the clothe feels broken up by that strong bend in it, which feels unnatural. Also the impression I get from the lighting on it is that it's flaring out to the side of her [going a bit towards us] then bowing back in to make that sharp bend. It feels weird to look at. It'd probably be more comfortable to look at if it had a shadow consistently along it without the extreme bend in the material.

Nice work overall! Good stuff.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rennard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spaztastic - Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it. Check out the update below!!

Rennard - Thanks also!!! I'm glad you liked the background...but, since so many had thought it bland, I changed it up. I feel for the better. As for the green clothe didn't get to changing that, or trying to re-work it. Check out my update and see if it still needs changing. Thanks again for the crits.

Well here's the update: I think it's for the better. The image seems a lot more full & lively. But you guys be the judge. Let me know what you think!!

Thanks again to everyone who commented, made me really want to make this the best that I could, and I couldn't ask for more!!! So THANKS!!!

Update:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it looks even better. I like what you did to the background. you know you could probably add a little moss to mother natures gown/trunk to show that "life comes from her". yeah the green sash still needs some work but it's really looking great. you have the possibility of becoming a master artist if you keep pushing yourself. keep it up.

Albert Einstein

20. The Following User Says Thank You to spaztastic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I posted twice by mistake so...yeah sorry about that. But I love your picture the coloring is great.

Last edited by spaztastic; December 26th, 2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: posted twice
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how you diffused the background forest although I would have loved to see more of a Mona Lisa background perspective but this is working. I really like the humming bird and the flowers, very nice touch and gives the picture a more that life is surviving thing to it. BTW something I just noticed is that tree trunk to her right doesn't have the same lighting as her trunk does. It looks like the tree is slightly different plain than the Mother nature girl but wouldn't that mean it would be sharing the same light?

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely! I like how even the smallest addition improves the overall feel of this piece. The hummingbird, the foliage and even the added color really bring this painting to life.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vrey nice! i love the colors and the updtates on it! i think that the lower part of her robe/dress thing seems to have a bit of a coarse texture to it, like kinda rough and hard... and i thik it would go better with the idea of her being in the wind if that was smoothened out a bit.... but tahts just me..

great job!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    vrey i think that the lower part of her robe/dress thing seems to have a bit of a coarse texture to it, like kinda rough and hard... and i thik it would go better with the idea of her being in the wind if that was smoothened out a bit.... but tahts just me..

great job!
    I think he is trying to go for more of a metamorphosis with the lower half of her dress. kinda like she is formed out of the very thing she forms. my guess correct me if I am wrong... I think he should add a tab bit of moss to show age or foliage(like some small flowers or such) to the skirt to give it more substance. but other than that I love the improvements they are SWEET.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 5,499 Times in 3,703 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I always felt she was waking up from winter to cast her magic so don't go overboard on the flowers.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oooh blackspot that's a good idea....he should maybe add a little bit of snow....like melting snow that would be awesome too. of course this is just my two cents, not necessary for any improvement it would just look cool. I was thinking the moss to kinda make her seem more rooted into the ground. I still like it the way it is of course. It's purty.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spaztastic - All I can say really...is...thanks. Thanks for the enthusiasm, your great comments and all your help. There's just not enough words to say thank you! I really do appreciate it. As for the moss, my general line of thinking was to start her dress off thin with more smoothness than to the bottom...which I wanted to get coarse, rough and thick. Generally to look a little more like roots then where it started. And I do love the idea of snow, and waking up from a winter sleep...but I think I'll save those great ideas for my next venture into painting. As for the green sash, I'm going to give that a go tomorrow and see what I can do. If I do happen to change it, that'll probably be my last revision. I want to take what I learned here and apply it to the next painting. Again, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ito Saith Webb - Thanks! And thanks for crits on the update! As for that tree, I wanted something on the darker side to balance the light on the left of the painting...and that tree seemed to work. Your right though, so tomorrow I'll do a little touching up and see if it helps the composition!! Thank you!

Razorleaf - Thanks for the response!!!! I had the same feeling after I added the first colorful flower. It really brought the painting to a whole. Without your comments and everyone else's it would of never been complete. So thanks very much!

SweetPea - Thanks for the critique!!! I appreciate it! As for the dress, in the very beginning I wanted a smoother look at the top and a hard & coarse look at the bottom. As though she gets more beautiful the further she is from the ground. So thanks again for the crit!!!

Black Spot - Thanks for stopping bye and commenting. I totally agree, not to much flowers...but just enough. As though they just started to spring up around her and then outward toward the rest of the forest. Thanks again for the comment!!!

Thanks for all the advice!!! Tomorrow I'll give those small revisions a go and see if they work out.
    This painting would of never turned out this good if you guys here hadn't pushed me to do the revision, so sincerely ...THANKS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, here's the final update!
    Changed the green sash a little and also added a tad bit of highlights on the tree on the right side.( thanks to Ito Saith Webb for spotting that) I didn't add to much highlight on the tree, but just enough I hope.

Thanks again for all the help from everyone!!! There's no other place like CA!!! So, as far as the image goes...unless there's something drastically wrong with it, I'm calling it finished!!!

Thanks again!!! Hope you guys like it!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    amazing

33. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good to me the only thing I think might be wrong is that the back of the neck looks a little to thick to where it connects to her should but looks fine where it connects to her head.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Ito Saith Webb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grandmassa - Thank You!!!

Ito Saith - Thanks again for all the help!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.