Painting for Scholastics- critique especially needed

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey guys, I plan on this painting being one that I will eventually choose from my body of work to put into an 8 piece portfolio for scholastics. I definitely need some other eyes and feedback to make it better and I hope you can help.
    All critique is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks for looking :]

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're mixing your warm and cool areas. Keep the lighting direction in mind (the lamp) and color the planes on all the objects accordingly, particularly the guy. You've got yellow highlights on parts of him that cant possibly be brightly lot. Remember the forms!

Secondly, sharpen it up a bit. You've got a good base (aforementioned temperature issues aside), so now move this away from the smudged look. Get the straight forms to look straight, get the edges right. In particular, do a lot of work on the guy's head and hand, those are two important objects in the painting and are some of the first things we look at. You'll want to get some nice, crisp detail into them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a bit of trouble with that second picture you posted, the close up. I can't quite figure out what that reddish part is. Is it a throat? Scarf? I don't know. If it's skin, it's too different from the colours in the face, I can't connect it. If it's cloth, it's too much like skin colour, I connect it too much. Er.. see what I mean? It's either too different or too similiar to be one or the other, so I would like to see where it belongs to.

Your shapes seem to be a bit jumbled up too. The armrests of the couch are big and heavy, but the backpart looks fairly thin and flat. The lamp is a bit wonky, and I'm not entirely sure about the picture frame on the table.

You may want to look at how lamps like your light things, by the way. It's a pretty solid shape of light on the wall, but light from a lamp as such is broken in the mid, because it's obstructed by that cloth hood. So you'd have a light pointing up, and one pointing down. Argh, I'm bad at explaining such things. This is kinda what I mean.

See how the light is most present on the lower side of that lamp? Your lighting at the moment seem rather general for such a prominent lightsource. Maybe it helps to define forms and shapes by making the light a bit less general. I also agree on Chagan with the defining of the shapes more.

Love your colours by the way, you just need to put them in the right place in certain spots. The hair looks kind of feathery, but I quite like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chagan: Thankyou very much, your comments are very helpful. The model( my cousin) is actually back in town now so I will have a chance to get some more observation in on the face and hands. Maybe you could tell me your thoughts on my update( on parts other than the figure)?
    Tangrim:Thankyou. That's supposed to his hand over his neck, It was quite an odd arrangement I agree- I might be changing it. I've done some work on the back of the chair and intend to do something about the little picture.
    About the lamp- the lamp I'm painting actually has a bottom part that illuminates too- so the big shapes are coming from both ends. Id like to hear what you have to say about the update:
    Thank you both again for your time and thoughts :]

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.