Thanks

Installing brushes in Painter X?

I tried to install my new brushes into Painter X, and I even got that program that's supposed to do it for you, but when I launch Painter, they're not available for selecting. I tried to go to import a brush library, but none of the files have a .brs extention.

So...... how in the world do I install these brushes and be able to use them?

Thx

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sektor2814 View Post
    I tried to install my new brushes into Painter X, and I even got that program that's supposed to do it for you, but when I launch Painter, they're not available for selecting. I tried to go to import a brush library, but none of the files have a .brs extention.

Thx
    It would help if you told us which brushes and where you got them from. Then maybe we can help you better! :-)

Cheers

Thanks

Thx
    sektor,

If you tried to install your brushes using Chris Price's brush installer, know that the brushes need to be configured in a certain way for it work.

I believe the brushes need to be in a brush category, not a brush library.

As Doug says, it would be helpful to know which brushes you're trying to install and where you got them. People who share custom brushes organize them in several ways and that can make a huge difference in how they need to be installed.

If none of the brushes have the .BRS extension, it means they're not a Painter 6 or earlier version brush library. Only Painter 6 and earlier version brush libraries can be installed using the Import Brush Library command.

Brushes created in Painter 7 through Painter X.1, as I explained above, can be organized by the donor in one of several ways, and the installation procedure will vary accordingly.

That's why it's good to let us know which brushes and where you got them so we can see how they're organized and what the brushes actually are (brush library, brush category, or individual .XML brush variants).

It's really best for you to learn Painter's brush folder and file structure so you'll be able to figure out how to install brushes on your own (eventually).

#
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    All of the brushes I got are from DeviantArt. Here are the names of the brushes and who I got them from:

Painter X Brush Inking Pen by what_i_do_is_secret
    Painter IX Brushes 01 by what_i_do_is_secret
    Painter Hair Brushes by kseniasara
    My Painter IX Custom Brushes by zhuzhu
    Robs Brush Pack Painter by eenlikebean

The weird thing is that when I tried to drag and drop them into the Studio Chris thing, it told me the first time that the brushes have been installed, but when I tried it again it tells me I already installed when some of them aren't (I think I dragged and dropped into the Vista one instead of XP by accident).

Also, I have Painter X installed on my external HD and the Studio Chris program installed it onto my computer's hard drive..... if I install the brushes into the Painter X folder in my external HD, would they work?

Thanks

Thanks
    when I installed zhuzhu's brushes (from deviant art) I just opened them, and placed the zhuzhu-brushfolder in my brushlibrary: C:/programfiles/corel/corelpainterX/brushes

Now the location might be different on you pc, but the brushes are there somewhere, just copy paste the downloaded folder in with the rest, and restart Painter (perhaps even entire pc).

Hope it works for you as it did for me,
    Merry Xmas
    Chris
    Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Meh..... it's not working. I extracted the brush folders I downloaded straight into the Brushes folder in painter...... and it still won't work..... I've restarted Painter AND my computer.......... what am I doing wrong?

Is there anything I have to do after I put them in the folder once Painter X is open? Or should they just be available?

Thanks
    Alright, this is getting kind of nuts..... I looked back a Painter after a bit and saw that the Rob's Brush Pack was working, but when I tried moving the other brushes into Painter and restarted the program, it stopped working and none of the other brushes are showing, either.....

Thanks
    Wait, I got it!

One question though..... how do I have all of my brushes be available at the same time, as opposed to loading a new set of brushes that replaces the ones I had before?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hive_minD View Post
    when I installed zhuzhu's brushes (from deviant art) I just opened them, and placed the zhuzhu-brushfolder in my brushlibrary: C:/programfiles/corel/corelpainterX/brushes
    Hive_minD,

If you installed those brushes in the Brushes folder (per the path you provided above), you didn't place the zhuzhu-brushfolder "... in my brush library". If they work as installed in the location you describe above, then what you installed was a brush library and we can't install a brush library in another brush library.

The C:/programfiles/corel/corelpainterX/brushes folder is just a folder used to contain brush libraries so Painter can find them when we want to load them.

Now the location might be different on you pc, but the brushes are there somewhere, just copy paste the downloaded folder in with the rest, and restart Painter (perhaps even entire pc).
    I believe the path to the Brushes folder where brush libraries need to be installed is different on WinXP from Windows Vista but only slightly different. Also, that difference may only apply to the Painter X User folder location.

Merry Xmas
    Chris
    Again, these instructions may not work for other brush downloads as those brush downloads may be configured differently, and may not all be brush libraries.

Merry Christmas!

#
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    All of the brushes I got are from DeviantArt. Here are the names of the brushes and who I got them from:

Painter X Brush Inking Pen by what_i_do_is_secret
    Painter IX Brushes 01 by what_i_do_is_secret
    Painter Hair Brushes by kseniasara
    My Painter IX Custom Brushes by zhuzhu
    Robs Brush Pack Painter by eenlikebean
    We'll need to have the URL to the page where you downloaded the brushes. Otherwise, there's no way we'll be able to know where they are, download them, and find out what the download contains, then be able to help you.

The weird thing is that when I tried to drag and drop them into the Studio Chris thing, it told me the first time that the brushes have been installed, but when I tried it again it tells me I already installed when some of them aren't (I think I dragged and dropped into the Vista one instead of XP by accident).

Also, I have Painter X installed on my external HD and the Studio Chris program installed it onto my computer's hard drive..... if I install the brushes into the Painter X folder in my external HD, would they work?

Thanks
    Don't use Chris's installer until you understand clearly how the brush downloads need to be configured.

It seems pretty obvious that at least some of the brushes you've downloaded won't work with Chris's installer.

Please provide the URLs to the brush download pages so we can help you get this straightened out.

#

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Wait, I got it!

One question though..... how do I have all of my brushes be available at the same time, as opposed to loading a new set of brushes that replaces the ones I had before?
    Only one brush library can be loaded at any time.

We can, however, load a brush library then drag one of the brush category icons onto the Painter screen to create a new Custom Palette. Then, one at a time, load each of the other brush libraries and drag a brush category icon onto that Custom Palette. You'll need to enlarge the Custom Palette to make room for all of the icons by clicking and dragging the lower right corner down to the right.

Once you have a brush category icon from each brush library in your Custom Palette, with a single click on an icon, the appropriate brush library is loaded.

To learn how to create and manage Custom Palettes, read the following:

Painter X Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > A Workspace Tour

On the right panel, click Custom Palettes and read all of the information that displays next.

#

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    I have a question along the same lines. I got the book Advanced Painter Techniques, and on the web is where you get all the brushes.

Somehow I managed to upload the chapter1 brushes into my library, but I can't get any others. Here's the website where I got them from.

http://www.sybex.com/WileyCDA/SybexT...resources.html

I've looked through the help files on Painter and looked through this thread, but I don't think I've understood yet just how it works.

Thank you, anyone who can help!
    -pb-

EDIT: I just needed to make an icon for the book brushes. EVERYTHING IS SOLVED! XD
    Last edited by princessbunny99; December 29th, 2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: figured it out myself -.-
    Sketchbook here! Please give me a critique or three!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=130663

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by princessbunny99 View Post
    I have a question along the same lines. I got the book Advanced Painter Techniques, and on the web is where you get all the brushes.

Somehow I managed to upload the chapter1 brushes into my library, but I can't get any others. Here's the website where I got them from.

I've looked through the help files on Painter and looked through this thread, but I don't think I've understood yet just how it works.

-pb-

EDIT: I just needed to make an icon for the book brushes. EVERYTHING IS SOLVED! XD
    How did you install the brushes for that book? I have the same book and i'm trying to install the brushes too. What do you mean you have to make an icon for the book brushes? I'm confused here. Thanks
    - Art expands my mind -

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hive_minD View Post

Merry Xmas
    Chris
    I installed my brushes into the brush library just like you stated here but when i click to use the brushes it says that it cannot use a library without any brushes. What the heck is going on here?

Please, I need some help.
    - Art expands my mind -

Thanks
    Originally Posted by princessbunny99

-pb-

Just to clarify for those future lost souls like me. With the set you get from sybex there's a folder called "chapter 1" and a jpg called "chapter 1.jpg", they both need to be placed in the Painter Brushes folder. Painter X uses the jpg to make the icon in your brushes list.